Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Gildiss posted:

OK fine so no cursing at the code.
But what about cursing at terrible PM's and managers? Also at the people who write the bad code?

Many people who complain violently about others writing bad code also are part of the problem. They maintain undocumented self standards, horde knowledge, or just have a blindly charitable view of how understandable their own code.

Terrible PMs and Managers are hard to deal with, but it's a two way street, if your way of engaging with it is to curse them rather than constructively reach a point where you 'can' work with them, you're not exactly helping things.

The problem is people are conflict averse and often prefer to let issues fester and feel unrecoverable, because that's the pace at which this stuff happens. Again, in my old work, (maritime), poo poo could turn sideways in seconds, but the way you mitigate that:

- strong sense of routine and safe working practices

- strong lines of communication, formalised where critical

- proactive conflict resolution, immediately resolved without delay

In a way the higher standards actually make the environment much more relaxed, because nothing is left unsaid, which is usually the root of conflict, poo poo left unsaid due to people choosing not to embrace conflict as a natural state that can be worked through.

Of course, if discrimination or harassment are in the mix that can be different, but again the culture of suppressing conflict merely amplifies the effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I never actually curse at people.
I just curse at the code and the process.
And the business when they're not present.

Just really tired of having to search for new jobs when yet another project becomes a complete dumpster fire due to absolutely incompetent management.
And these are large corporations.

Like the current one is getting the mythical man month treatment at the moment and it will be an absolute failure as far as delivery dates are concerned all thanks to an exec promising more than can be delivered.

Gildiss fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jan 12, 2017

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Maluco Marinero posted:

Eh, honestly I think it's a sign of unoriginality and a lack of vocabulary/communication skills, than any sort of philosophical stand. Swearing all the time is just such low effort.

You've clearly never heard me swear. I've got technique.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

To be fair most of my cursing is generally at our loving poo poo IT equipment, or Outlook.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
People have different communication styles. I'm way more annoyed by people who pontificate, especially in meetings, than people who curse. My main issue with cursing is when it comes from serial complainers who don't fix anything.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I kinda enjoy hearing my data scientist coworker occasionally completely flip out over our software update process.

"WHY THE gently caress DO I NEED THE loving WINDOWS ADMIN loving PASSWORD TO INSTALL loving MYSQL INSIDE MY OWN loving VMWARE?"

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

My cursing is more of the The Wire "gently caress" scene variety than cursing at someone or a client.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Slash posted:

Surely not using swearwords reduces your vocabulary; by definition you are using fewer words.
I had to clean up my language when I was client-facing. The method I used was picking a different word, you can generally catch yourself and come up with a substitute. Try it out on this sentence:

lifg posted:

"WHY THE gently caress DO I NEED THE loving WINDOWS ADMIN loving PASSWORD TO INSTALL loving MYSQL INSIDE MY OWN loving VMWARE?"
There's no one word that replaces every instance of "gently caress" here. It's a little short sighted to stop thinking at "fewer words" because in practice people stretch the half dozen curses out to inordinate lengths and barring them requires more words.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
Swearing can also be a team inclusion thing. Eg. if you don't swear when upper management or other departments are around but within your own team you do. A group can show they trust or accept you if they're willing to swear in your presence where they wouldn't otherwise.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I highly recommend The Mythical Man-Month for a read. Some parts can be a bit dated as it was written in 1975, but it rings so true and I work in hell please save me.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gildiss posted:

I highly recommend The Mythical Man-Month for a read. Some parts can be a bit dated as it was written in 1975, but it rings so true and I work in hell please save me.

No, that's pretty normal in large corporate companies (autocompletion said corpse though and it's probably more right).

Oh, you just need more resources? No problem, will keep em coming until we get restructured for failing to deliver.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I'm not really looking for advice, just ranting.

I've been working part time with a junior dev on a somewhat complicated feature over the past year or so. It has a complex workflow, and lots of moving pieces behind the scenes. We didn't really have a spec to design against, but I did make a push to design as much as we could before coding, and I think we were pretty successful given how little we had to go on.

Anyway, after putting an initial release into production, we got a ton of negative feedback from users. It all essentially came down to "old" data: the users were really bothered by old data hanging around on one page, and getting in the way of new, relevant data. So, we went back to the whiteboard and designed a way to purge the old data. And presto, the user complaints dropped off, and for a few solid months, things seemed to be all good in the hood.

Until this week. My boss got a wild hair about this purging of old data and how it may cause the users to need to take an extra step in the already complicated workflow. But I am pretty in tune with our users, I know what's bugging them because I have made buddies with them, and I create tickets for things they want. No one has complained about this. Moreover, the boss's solutions are more of his favorite thing: delimited strings. Taking a snippet from one of my earlier posts, just to refresh your memory:
code:
select unnest(string_to_array(butts::text,',')) from (
    select unnest(string_to_array('A,1:B,2:C,3'::text,':')) as butts
) as doody;
I just can't even put it into words. He's convinced we have a problem I don't think we have, and his prescribed medicine is worse than the sickness. I just don't even

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

baquerd posted:

No, that's pretty normal in large corporate companies (autocompletion said corpse though and it's probably more right).

Oh, you just need more resources? No problem, will keep em coming until we get restructured for failing to deliver.
The best part about adding more people to a late project is that, irrespective of the organization's ability to handle the sudden influx of miscommunicating and untrained employees, you're almost guaranteed that each successive rapid hire will be less talented than the previous hire.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That's why you want to be cautious and wary when a company tells you they're undergoing a hiring boom. There's no way those jobs will stick around long term.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

App admins keep breaking our server and blaming us. Hey, we haven't changed any code or configuration in two weeks, what the gently caress am I supposed to do with this stack trace that is not referencing any of our code.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The project I'm on now is such an amazing loving mess. We just had a sprint grooming that went nowhere because the lead developer wasn't present but has his fingers in every piece, and we don't know what the status of all his tickets are. My stuff is assigned to me, technically, but is 99% blocked by some tweaks or individual changes and PRs said developer is applying to my code (:pwn:). The same is happening with our visualizations developer who wasn't even aware of how we go pull requests or what they even are.

Nobody knows who owns what piece of work or what components in this project, and multiple times now I've had the lead developer switch out my codebases out from under me, so now I'm all confused from the near-identical codebases that are rapidly diverging in content. The requirements are vague and confusingly specified and the design people keep switching between favoring an Invision prototype and the requirement docs on the wiki. We've only now ditched our "serve React components wrapped in xtag components over a versioned CDN" approach when someone from outside our team looked at it and went :wtf:. The project managers and design people are getting really pissed off at us devs to the point of getting kinda snippy with us in stand-up. That's super fun.

This is going down a bad path and I have no idea what to do about it. :yikes:

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Pollyanna posted:

The project I'm on now is such an amazing loving mess. We just had a sprint grooming that went nowhere because the lead developer wasn't present but has his fingers in every piece, and we don't know what the status of all his tickets are. My stuff is assigned to me, technically, but is 99% blocked by some tweaks or individual changes and PRs said developer is applying to my code (:pwn:). The same is happening with our visualizations developer who wasn't even aware of how we go pull requests or what they even are.

Nobody knows who owns what piece of work or what components in this project, and multiple times now I've had the lead developer switch out my codebases out from under me, so now I'm all confused from the near-identical codebases that are rapidly diverging in content. The requirements are vague and confusingly specified and the design people keep switching between favoring an Invision prototype and the requirement docs on the wiki. We've only now ditched our "serve React components wrapped in xtag components over a versioned CDN" approach when someone from outside our team looked at it and went :wtf:. The project managers and design people are getting really pissed off at us devs to the point of getting kinda snippy with us in stand-up. That's super fun.

This is going down a bad path and I have no idea what to do about it. :yikes:

Find someone weaker/newer on the team who you can blame for everything, and weather the storm. Or :yotj:. Probably the latter, if you want to be a happy, functioning member of society.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Whatever you do, keep telling the story as it unfolds! For some reason I find it really satisfying to read about how other offices (don't) work

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

My team has been doing agile for 4 years. Each agile activity is spent arguing about the process. :smith:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I thought this was a good read on the frontend activities before stuff ends up in the backlog, and how this process is hosed in a lot of orgs.
https://gerardchiva.com/2017/01/14/the-fuzzy-front-end/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

rt4 posted:

Whatever you do, keep telling the story as it unfolds! For some reason I find it really satisfying to read about how other offices (don't) work

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Vulture Culture posted:

I thought this was a good read on the frontend activities before stuff ends up in the backlog, and how this process is hosed in a lot of orgs.
https://gerardchiva.com/2017/01/14/the-fuzzy-front-end/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Yeah, I've had this experience when contracting for larger orgs, especially when working with outside teams. A ticket will come up but we have a question for sales / legal / etc and it will hold up the process indefinitely. Who knows how many things never even got to the dev team?

This is why it's really important for PMs to constantly be reviewing the backlog - if you can catch missing pieces of idea development before it hits the devs, you can potentially save weeks of time.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

So I'm reading through this RFP...
  • The client wants "an agile way of working"
  • The deadline is fixed (about a year from now)
  • The scope is fixed
  • The requirements are obviously vague as all hell
I'm expected to come up with a serious reply to this shitshow.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Messyass posted:

• The scope is fixed

"Double whatever we come up with"

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Messyass posted:

• The scope is fixed

Clients definition of Agile = We don't have to work hard to come up with requirements.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Gounads posted:

Clients definition of Agile = We don't have to work hard to come up with requirements.

Try renaming them to "wants" and get them to be specific about that?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skandranon posted:

Try renaming them to "wants" and get them to be specific about that?

We got back from talking with the business and everything is required, priority 1.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Messyass posted:

• The scope is fixed

Oh neat are you us a year ago?

"Make us this thing. Here's a bunch of use cases. What's a requirement?"

Look forward to: hilarious scope creep, hilarious deadline expectations, not hilariously having to manage the aforementioned.

I mean, we're making it happen, and we're making truckloads of money from it, but god drat has the process been miserable.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

The way I see it you really can't win with this sort of thing. You're always going to have a conflict over what exactly was agreed upon. Best case you come out ahead but you've got a pissed off customer, worst case you're bleeding money.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
I feel like I'm the vein of the 'you can't have ethical consumerism in capitalism' image, we need a 'you can't have agile fixed scope'. It just doesn't fuggin exist mate.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Alternately, you can have a fixed scope or fixed date.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Messyass posted:

The way I see it you really can't win with this sort of thing. You're always going to have a conflict over what exactly was agreed upon. Best case you come out ahead but you've got a pissed off customer, worst case you're bleeding money.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. There's a couple tactics you can use to nail folks down, but none of them are wholly avoiding these two outcomes.

One is to have your quote lay out a very finite scope, then make any change go through a complex ECO process and have a very explicit cost. Show them the most conservative MVP feature set you can dredge out of the vague requirements, quote only that. If they want the text on a widget to change, it's at minimum 4 hours (1 PM, 3 Engineering). They might get spooked and fix up the requirements, they might charge ahead and end up paying you a lot more.

The second is to ask them, preferably with multiple stakeholders from their org present, what their priorities are. Like if it gets down to crunch time, and we have to pick between Features or Time to Market, which would you prefer us to prioritize until the PM can sync everyone up? In product development we'd include CMF, COGS, etc. but the actual tentpoles don't matter as much as getting them to prioritize between 4 areas. Sometimes they can clearly articulate where they're at and it's grand, other results can include folks on their side revealing vastly different ideas about the project or showing that it's their first time genuinely considering that something might not work perfectly.

Honestly it sounds like they've worked with generous consultancies that tried to steer them in the right direction before and are having none of it.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

lifg posted:

... or a fixed number of work hours every week. Pick two.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So now one of the only other devs in the project is leaving it, leaving just me, the JavaScript/React newbie and the half-there lead developer (who is off doing some weird CICD related stuff). The poor newbie is tearing her hair out cause she hates JavaScript (and know basically 0 of it) and is having a really tough time with the project, since it's been such a huge shitshow, and I feel really bad for her. The PMs and POs are still confused on who's doing what and are mega pissed over our lack of progress, which when you've had a totally new type of language+framework+project with a codebase that was half baked by devs who have since mostly left, is kind of inevitable. I asked around and it turns out, it's like this for every other project team in the organization.

I'm sorry but for my own sanity it's time to :yotj:, this is awful. Question is whether or not to try and hold out till I get my yearly bonus.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Sorry, what is :yotj: ?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

To get a new job.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

lifg posted:

It can have any deadline you want if it isn't required to function.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Sorry, what is :yotj: ?

I didn't know for ages so I'm gonna give a proper full answer: Its "Year Of the Job". A bunch of IT goons all got new good jobs in the same year at some point (computer janitor thread), its proper life affirming.

Maluco Marinero posted:

I feel like I'm the vein of the 'you can't have ethical consumerism in capitalism' image, we need a 'you can't have agile fixed scope'. It just doesn't fuggin exist mate.

Also, Hope is a lie.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Dirty Frank posted:

I didn't know for ages so I'm gonna give a proper full answer: Its "Year Of the Job". A bunch of IT goons all got new good jobs in the same year at some point (computer janitor thread), its proper life affirming.

That's badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Pollyanna posted:

I'm sorry but for my own sanity it's time to :yotj:, this is awful. Question is whether or not to try and hold out till I get my yearly bonus.

Get whoever is going to hire you to give the bonus to you as a signing bonus, so that you don't pick a start date that's too late for them. I had the same dilemma, "idk I've kind of got a lot of unvested stock that's going to come due over the next few years" and the recruiter just immediately matched it.

That poo poo was fantastic.

Point is, it's cheaper for them to just vomit money into your account than to wait for you.