Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Katana Gomai posted:

just lol

not at you in particular, at everyone in general complaining about the Switch prices yet paying $10-20 because they can't keep themselves from scratching the gently caress out of their toys

*e: on a capacitive touchscreen lmao

Uh not getting a protector on an otherwise unprotected screen that you're going to be putting in your pocket/carrying around with you is idiotic at best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Jimmy Hats posted:

Uh not getting a protector on an otherwise unprotected screen that you're going to be putting in your pocket/carrying around with you is idiotic at best

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Katana Gomai posted:

just lol

not at you in particular, at everyone in general complaining about the Switch prices yet paying $10-20 because they can't keep themselves from scratching the gently caress out of their toys

*e: on a capacitive touchscreen lmao

I may end up cancelling it. I have gone through every handheld Nintendo has launched without a screen protector and without issue, including every model of 3DS. Something about the exposed screen as opposed to the clamshell has me kind of worried (despite the clamshell pressure marks being what usually ends up damaging a screen).

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

s.i.r.e. posted:

I wonder if there's going to be a day-one patch for it, my friend's a big Isaac fan and he says Afterbirth+ sucks because I guess the new enemies are lame and unfair to fight. They fixed it though on PC after the complaints started to roll in, I assume whatever's on the cartridge is pre-patch.

My issue with this is how do I choose what to hear? I like the voice chat and game audio to come from the same source but just balanced in favor of the voice chat so I can hear my friends. But with this stupid method I have to listen to my friends via a headset for my phone, then turn down the ingame volume so they don't hear the game audio coming through the headset from the device that's close enough to my face that the mic will pick it up? Or do I get yet another headset to put on top of the other one so the sound from the Switch only hits my ears?

Also, what happens when I get a phone call on the phone? I assume it's going to interrupt the Nintendo app call so I can't even tell my friends "Hey, I have to take this call." It's a major clusterfuck really and I don't see it a purpose of it other than "We didn't have it ready for the Switch release so we're gonna bullshit and answer for right now."

The PS4 basic comes with the console voice chat is a single earbud that plugs into the controller for voicechat. Which is the same thing as your phone being the voicechat. Granted you can upgrade to gaming headphones with a mic, and we have no idea if you can do that on switch.

Second concern is based on how they build the app. android now has a game mode where you launch an app from it and it wont let things like phone calls interrupt the app. Basically giving it higher priority if you keep getting hot business calls while trying to bomber the other mans.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jimmy Hats posted:

I haven't needed a screen protector for anything except elite beat agents and I won't need it for the switch either.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

Having it available as an app is a great idea.

Stripping the basic functionality out of the system itself is a bad idea.

Yeah, I'm really not understanding why in any world they would think requiring a smart phone to play online would be a good idea. Sure most people have one, but it seems like there's plenty of use cases where needing one might be a problem. Phone needs to charge, phone has unsupported platform (Windows phone lol) or maybe even unsupported OS version? What about less powerful, older phones?

Like how often are you going to want to play online on the go that it's really worth it to totally handicap the at-home online experience?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

Having it available as an app is a great idea.

Stripping the basic functionality out of the system itself is a bad idea.

Do we have any detailed view at what is on the console versus the phone app? If its as simple as joining a Quick Match type game with the console, but needing the app to form parties and use voice chat, it might work. They really need to come out with some details and put all this speculation to rest.

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, I'm really not understanding why in any world they would think requiring a smart phone to play online would be a good idea. Sure most people have one, but it seems like there's plenty of use cases where needing one might be a problem. Phone needs to charge, phone has unsupported platform (Windows phone lol) or maybe even unsupported OS version? What about less powerful, older phones?

Like how often are you going to want to play online on the go that it's really worth it to totally handicap the at-home online experience?

Required for online play or required to form a lobby and play with a group are two very different things.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I heard they are making a new Mario RPG, but it's some sort of cross with some cartoon rabbits or something?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Nintendo home consoles including the WiiU got awesome ifixit scores for repairability, by contrast switching the upper display on a (3)ds is guaranteed to gently caress you right the gently caress up

I'm hoping it's closer to the WiiU gamepad design than an iPad

:allears:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Jimmy Hats posted:

How big are your pants if you expect to put the Switch in your pocket?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Katana Gomai posted:

let me put it this way: there's a "quick restart" function on PC but it's not present in any of the console versions because, and I quote, we ran out of buttons on the gamepad

My girlfriend still sunk like 400 hours into the PS4/Vita versions on top of the ~600h she has on Steam so it's clearly playable

FTL is the superior Roguelike.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Nephzinho posted:

Do we have any detailed view at what is on the console versus the phone app? If its as simple as joining a Quick Match type game with the console, but needing the app to form parties and use voice chat, it might work. They really need to come out with some details and put all this speculation to rest.

Required for online play or required to form a lobby and play with a group are two very different things.

That sounds like what it is.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nephzinho posted:

FTL is the superior Roguelike.

They aren't similar at all except for the fact that people call both roguelikes

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Oxyclean posted:

Well it's the only way for them to guarantee exactly identical experience when stationary and portable, that's the only thing I can think of

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Oxyclean posted:

How big are your pants if you expect to put the Switch in your pocket?

It is winter

https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=lp_1028...nid=10287217011

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

Have they come out and said you'll be able to play online without needing the app? Their messaging about online has kinda loving sucked so far because it's come out over several different interviews. It still seems astronomically dumb that I won't be able to party up or "join friend" through the game itself.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Nephzinho posted:

What the hell is the difference? You have to use it to match make before you join a game.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Oxyclean posted:

Have they come out and said you'll be able to play online without needing the app? Their messaging about online has kinda loving sucked so far because it's come out over several different interviews. It still seems astronomically dumb that I won't be able to party up or "join friend" through the game itself.

You need it just to be able to get online and play a game for even the most basic functions as Matchmaking.

http://www.techradar.com/news/the-nintendo-switch-will-need-its-smartphone-app-for-online-matchmaking

Obvious retardation on this decision behind, if playing a multiplayer game on the go, which is fairly easy to do with a 3DS, you now have to tether to your phone's internet data plan, use the app on your phone, power on your phone as well as the power of the switch, blue tooth from your phone and not the switch while in portable mode (That's even more ridiculous) and yeah... Basically I think people are right. It's an OEM version of Discord and Nintendo didn't have time, or didn't want to take the time, to make improvements on their online platform service when they were making VERY awesome strides as of the Wii U and New 3DS. Why they ditched that platform, who knows.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 19, 2017

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Personally I am going to wait for the forthcoming promised details with regards to Nintendo's online system for the Switch instead of whipping myself up in a speculative frenzy about the three sentences that have been said about it

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

RCarr posted:

I heard they are making a new Mario RPG, but it's some sort of cross with some cartoon rabbits or something?

I don't %100 believe this. People say they heard it from Ubisoft sources and a video they recently put out has a Mario and Luigi as rabbids doll in the background.

But what if the sources are just people who worked on the video making assumptions, and those dolls are just trinkets someone at Ubisoft got at some point due to their close relationship with Nintendo.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

deadwing posted:

Personally I am going to wait for the forthcoming promised details with regards to Nintendo's online system for the Switch instead of whipping myself up in a speculative frenzy about the three sentences that have been said about it

Didn't they have a big swerve early on with Wii U's online stuff? Like it was real dumb at first and then they implemented the Nintendo ID stuff and then it was less dumb?

Kinda wondering if we'll see something similar.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Yeah I really don't think it's going to be impossible to join an online game without getting on your telephone first

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

deadwing posted:

I thought speculative frenzy was what the Switch's all about

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Well it's the only way for them to guarantee exactly identical experience when stationary and portable, that's the only thing I can think of

... isn't this probably the exact reason? I mean. That makes an absurd amount of sense.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

deadwing posted:

It's already out.

* One game a month you can't keep

* Smart Device required for use on the switch whether at home (Docked) or away. It is needed to do any online function - including basic matchmaking, but also needed for lobbies, voice chat, etc.

* October people will be paying for it.

And that's the only unknown at this point - is the price.

quote:

Yeah I really don't think it's going to be impossible to join an online game without getting on your telephone first

It is required.

quote:

In fact, the app’s functionality actually goes as far as enabling matchmaking and allowing you to create lobbies, suggesting that your online options are going to be pretty slim without your smartphone.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Jeff Gerstmann from Giant Bomb vocalized many of my worries really well in their latest episode:

https://soundcloud.com/giantbombcast/giant-bombcast-464-season-of-the-switch#t=1:22:50 (time tag included) There were some points before that point but that rant had the most of it. Lack of focus would summarize it fairly well, I guess.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

greatn posted:

People say they heard it from Ubisoft sources and a video they recently put out has a Mario and Luigi as rabbids doll in the background.
Rayman and Globox wore Mario & Luigi outfits in Rayman Legends, so clearly the next Mario platformer will involve slapping lots of cages open and chasing evil capitalists with big noses.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Dessel posted:

Jeff Gerstmann from Giant Bomb vocalized many of my worries really well in their latest episode:

https://soundcloud.com/giantbombcast/giant-bombcast-464-season-of-the-switch#t=1:22:50 (time tag included) There were some points before that point but that rant had the most of it. Lack of focus would summarize it fairly well, I guess.

That's spot on the money.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Utnayan posted:

* Smart Device required for use on the switch whether at home (Docked) or away. It is needed to do any online function - including basic matchmaking, but also needed for lobbies, voice chat, etc.

Please link to me your quote from Nintendo saying the only way to get into an online match is through your cell phone

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Utnayan posted:

It is required.

Naw that's techradar guessing from a couple of vague sentences

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Utnayan posted:

What the hell is the difference? You have to use it to match make before you join a game.

The difference between turning on Splatoon and hopping into a game solo queue without voice chat and getting together with 3 other guys on comms. If you can't use any online functionality at all without the app, that will be a pain in the dick even if I keep an ipad on the coffee table.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TFRazorsaw posted:

... isn't this probably the exact reason? I mean. That makes an absurd amount of sense.

It's not a very good reason but I mean the "functional parity" or whatever they've chosen to call it's obviously been a priority in the product design

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

deadwing posted:

Please link to me your quote from Nintendo saying the only way to get into an online match is through your cell phone

Nintendo today has this quote from Reggie, via a gamespot interview:

quote:

The smart phone app that we’re creating, that will be part of our online service, we believe is going to be a very compelling part of the overall proposition because that’s how you’ll voice chat, that’s how you’ll do your matchmaking, and create your lobby. We also think it’s a very elegant solution because if you’ve taken your switch on the go, you’ve put yourself in a hotspot, you’re looking at get a quick match of Mario Kart in, to whip out some sort of bulky, gamer headset is a bit of a challenge.

So we think we’ve got an elegant solution. That’s a very specific answer to your question.

Unless Reggie is using the term matchmaking wrong, that's generally how you get into an online match.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Requiring a device, not even made by Nintendo, to use voice chat, matchmaking and inviting friends to play online is incredibly stupid.

Will probably be changed within a year or two once they realize no reasonable person wants that to be the only option.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I think you guys are wrong about solo queue requiring a phone

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I just found out that Super Mario Run uses Friend Codes for multiplayer. :staredog:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Unless Reggie is using the term matchmaking wrong, that's generally how you get into an online match.

Let me bold that quote too

quote:

The smart phone app that we’re creating, that will be part of our online service, we believe is going to be a very compelling part of the overall proposition

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Oxyclean posted:

And what's even worse, is they could have easily just thrown blue tooth on the switch itself and a basic online functionality to support matchmaking like it stands on the 3DS currently, yet there is Reggie (Who is most definitely just playing damage control to what he already knows is poo poo design) by saying no one wants to carry around a bulky headset? That wouldn't be needed had blue tooth lived on the console.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'd expect it to be like a Microsoft Smart Glass situation, where it just kind of acts as a stand-in for the overlay?

But yeah it's gonna be dumb if that's how you need to do voice chat. But I guess not much dumber than it is on 3DS, where I have to use discord if I wanna be on voice in Monster Hunter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I would be shocked if there's no Quickmatch button on Splatoon 2

But Nintendo.

Still sufficiently vague wording that pronouncing, SEE YOU NEED IT, is premature.

• Locked thread