Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Bandai teased a massive 1:900 Star Destroyer when they first announced the Star Wars model kit line, and haven't mentioned it since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

with the amount of detail they put into the tiny vehicle model SD I'd love for Bandai to do one that's around 30cm.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
A 1:144 AT-AT makes it great for combining with tanks, which suits me fine, but isn't 4 500 yen a bit expensive? Wouldn't it be just like, 15-16 cm tall? The AT-ST is much bigger and only cost like 2 500. Am I missing something?

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
Is Dragon models still doing the 1/35 at-at? Still, a 144 is alright. Same scale as the falcon and the vehicle collection swings and such, so a lil diorama could be cool. And it looks like a real nice sculpt.

I'm waiting for that destroyer too, but lord I have no idea where I'd put it

I'd like to see one in scale with the Venerator (or maybe just the same size) that was reissued recently

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Dr. Phildo posted:

Is Dragon models still doing the 1/35 at-at? Still, a 144 is alright. Same scale as the falcon and the vehicle collection swings and such, so a lil diorama could be cool. And it looks like a real nice sculpt.

I'm waiting for that destroyer too, but lord I have no idea where I'd put it

I'd like to see one in scale with the Venerator (or maybe just the same size) that was reissued recently

Dragon are doing a few Star Wars kits but I think they've gotten slated on accuracy from the promo stuff so far.

lilljonas posted:

A 1:144 AT-AT makes it great for combining with tanks, which suits me fine, but isn't 4 500 yen a bit expensive? Wouldn't it be just like, 15-16 cm tall? The AT-ST is much bigger and only cost like 2 500. Am I missing something?

Yeah 4200 seems a bit much I think that's about 40 dollars and I think I've only paid more than that for the falcon.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Why 1/144 scale ? Why not 1/160 and make it the same as N scale?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Why 1/144 scale ? Why not 1/160 and make it the same as N scale?

That's the scale of Bandai's HG Gundam models.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Also they've got a bunch of Star Wars 1/144 kits too. So it makes sense if they feel 1/72 and 1/48 are too big.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

If you like big tanks and you can't deny, Takom announced today they were doing a 1/35 of the Maus. Within minutes of this announcement, Trumpeter announced well they were making a 1/35 Maus with a full interior

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Nebakenezzer posted:

If you like big tanks and you can't deny, Takom announced today they were doing a 1/35 of the Maus. Within minutes of this announcement, Trumpeter announced well they were making a 1/35 Maus with a full interior

mother of god

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Nebakenezzer posted:

That's great, a model kit arms race.

Next stop: 1/35 Ratte.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I'm personally fond of 1/48 scale. Waiting for the Trumpeter 1/48 scale USS Arizona kit.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Sparq posted:

Next stop: 1/35 Ratte.

yes please

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The Ratte was supposed to be 35 meters long, so at 1/35 it would be

a meter long

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

a meter long

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Nebakenezzer posted:

a meter long

Aren't there already model ships that are this big?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Revell has a 1/72 U-boat that is also a meter long.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Also a Revell 1/72 B-36, and a 1/48 B-1b.

Trumpeter I think has finally released that 1/48 U-boat they were making.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Nebakenezzer posted:

Also a Revell 1/72 B-36, and a 1/48 B-1b.

Trumpeter I think has finally released that 1/48 U-boat they were making.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUbsiehy-VM

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Was just at the model shop the other day, and the Trumpeter 1/16 King Tiger is loving massive. I mean, I have a 1/16 T34, and the box for the King Tiger is almost three times the size. It's a two person carry-job.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Maybe there will be a 1/16th scale T-35 someday.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
All this talk of big models reminds me of something I've not thought of in years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_2P2mFT_ac

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Ensign Expendable posted:

Aren't there already model ships that are this big?

Quite a large number of them. In plastic all of the Trumpeter 1/200 scale ship are huge, the largest (I think) being about 53" for the Missouri.

In wooden ships, there are plenty of them that are well over 40" in length if you include the rigging, but I think most of the hulls are under 36" long, even the big ones. Of course in the scratch world of wooden ship building all bets are off as crazy dudes make 1/24 scale models of 70 gun ships of the line and other nutso stuff.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Told a coworker who does a lot of estate sales if she spots any model kits for really cheap to snag em. About a month ago the first results came in for $2 each, both factory sealed still.

The first kit:

The Lockheed Vega 5C "Winnie Mae". I may have seem this plane in person, it's at the Smithsonian Air and Space museum, but I haven't been there in about 17 years. I'm not sure if it was on display or not when I was there.

The back:

The complete instructions and sealed part bag.

Sprues.

It looks like its been kept in good storage for the last 40+ years. It's a good decade older than me at least. Started on the fuselage tonight, some seam filler drying now. Aside from the wheel fairings, or pants as the instructions call them, that might need some sanding and filling for the gap this looks like it'll be pretty straightforward and something I might actually finish this weekend or shortly thereafter.

The other kit is from the same series, a Curtiss P-6E which I'll have to grab a photo of next.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land

What caliber is it chambered in?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

N17R4M posted:

What caliber is it chambered in?

A fairly common round :v:

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

I didn't understand this so looked up the railway gun calibre and did the maths and jesus christ that's right isn't it.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Unkempt posted:

I didn't understand this so looked up the railway gun calibre and did the maths and jesus christ that's right isn't it.

Yeah basically.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I have the 1/35 Morser Karl kit, once I've finished that I want the 1/35 K5(E) Leopold, and then, on to 1/35 Schwerer Dora :black101:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 19, 2017

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Es muy grande!

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

The A-Wing is almost complete. I did a clear coat prior to using the MIG enamels and everything is looking fine.

I might hit it with a few pigments after I see how the oil layer dries. It's nice to be able to tweak the oils and enamels, come back twenty minutes later, tweak some more, and really take my time.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
My washes take a hell of a lot longer than 20 mins to dry, what's your secret?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Ensign Expendable posted:

My washes take a hell of a lot longer than 20 mins to dry, what's your secret?

Impatience and a ridiculously low relative humidity?

This project is the first I've used oils and enamels on so I could be loving it up.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Does anyone have any reference photos or other information on the Stalingrad T-34s that left the factory unpainted and immediately went into battle? I'm thinking that'd be a fun little project to get me back into modeling after a multi-month break.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
That's one of those "the one with the rifle shoots" or "anri-tank dogs blew up the Soviets tanks" type situations where everyone swears it happened but there's no actual evidence it did. A bare metal STZ T-34 would be a cool looking project though.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

I kind of figured as much due to the lack of resources I was able to find online. Did the Soviets use any particular colour primer like the Germans used brownish red?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Red-brown lead primer, with medium gray primer sometimes used during the war if there was a shortage.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Sparq posted:

Next stop: 1/35 Bismarck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Does anyone know what the deal is with AK Interactive and Mig? Supposedly the story was that Mig was originally working with AK, but he and Vallejo (who makes AK) had a falling out, so he branched out and started "Ammo, by Mig". It's just that huge swaths of their inventories are basically the exact same products with the exact same names, and I even noticed yesterday that they're both using some of the same demonstration pics that show their "different" products in action.

At this point I'm thinking that Vallejo, AK Interactive, and Ammo products are all the exact same thing, put into slightly different bottles with different labels.