Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

D.va's actual character is lame, insufferable and annoying and I'd cheer for Blizzard to replace her wholesale with the gremlin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Everything is trash.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

She's just Chen from Touhou comics mixed with this thing

Whose anime was running when the DVA meme started up.

She's the baby, gotta love her

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Lechtansi posted:

People have serious attachment issues to fictional characters. You should have seen the butt hurt when they introduced tracers girlfriend.

Butthurt homophobes, you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E83CtWFkQW0

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Foxhound posted:

Butthurt homophobes, you say?

I hate when a preview picture isn't actually in the video. I wanted to see that i'm gay tingle man rotoscoped.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Bet they didn't like her Christmas spray, which looks a lot like Gremlin DVA.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also, like, you can just not like a thing without the thing being evil.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Krinkle posted:

I hate when a preview picture isn't actually in the video. I wanted to see that i'm gay tingle man rotoscoped.
Hope this is good enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njEIU8BSWmA

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Perfection.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Pomp posted:

Okay, so this is D.Va:

D.Va, AKA Hana Song is a nineteen-year-old professional Starcraft player from Korea. There isn’t a perfect analogy, but in Korea, Pro Gamers aren’t viewed the way western gamers are, they’re held in a closer regard to professional athletes, or even rock stars. D.Va’s name is indicative of her personality: She’s a celebrity diva. She’s confident to a fault, she’s courageous and a bit cocky, she’s charming and she knows how to work an audience. Her fame as a pro Starcraft player has led to a career as an actress, which brought her fame worldwide.

At age 16, through a “last starfighter/pacific rim” type situation, the Korean Government decided to address the problem of “giant robot keeps attacking Korea and traditional military tactics and regular soldiers are useless against it” by recruiting pro gamers (with their fast reflexes and unconventional tactical know-how) to pilot mechs to keep the giant robot at bay. D.Va was the best Starcraft player in the world (except her dad, the one person in the world she still can’t beat), and amazingly, she was also the best at fighting this giant robot. Because her gaming ability is what makes her so good at fighting this particular giant robot, she approaches her job the same way she approaches video games: by perpetually chasing the horizon of perfection and trying to improve her skills.

In-universe, she streams her missions worldwide on Twitch, and her fan following as a Superhero is as big as her following as a Pro Gamer or a Movie Star. Because she streams her missions, she’s often heard using gamer-speak in-combat because she’s addressing her audience directly. Outside of combat, many other heroes (like Lucio and Reinhardt) are huge fans of hers and look up to her, she’s a fan of reading scientific journals and is a bit starstruck to meet her favorite scientist (Mei) and she’s deeply hurt by the destruction she saw in her home country. She’s also sensitive about being called a child, because she’s now 19 (an adult) and a decorated soldier and deserves a certain level of respect.

This is Gremlin D.Va:

Gremlin D.Va is a fandom-created meme based on approximately nothing from the actual game or lore except the word “gamer” in her description. Gremlin D.Va is a caricature of western white male gamers (interesting given that D.Va is a Korean woman who acts approximately nothing like western white male gamers).

Gremlin D.Va is approximately four years old (or less!! A lot of the fanart includes her wearing diapers, sitting in strollers, sucking on a pacifier, the line is between “gremlin D.Va” and “baby D.Va” is blurry enough to be practically nonexistent). Gremlin D.Va is obsessed with doritos and mountain dew (she has her own brand of chips and sponsors a cola brand in-game, but we’ve established that the people making this meme don’t really care about what is or isn’t part of the game). She is supposed to be dirty and disgusting, she speaks in broken english even though Canon D.Va is fluent (they chalk this up to be “she’s like a baby!” but infantilization isn’t much better), she is mischievous and sneaky, she is presented as a childlike, and, well, pretty much aligns with every harmful stereotype of East Asians except the hypersexualization (which they claim makes it progressive). Also, as noted in the above picture, part of the meme is that she’s been adopted by two of the white characters, Soldier: 76 and Mercy, neither of whom she’s confirmed to have ever even met. She’s usually presented in the comics as a burden to that white man, which, yikes.

Essentially, Gremlin D.Va is a list of harmful and baseless stereotypes and tropes about Asians and Asian-Americans like “sneaky” and “childlike” and “perverse,” and defenders of the meme like to pretend it’s okay to project lots of anti-Asian racist stereotypes onto an Asian character as long as they’re not doing so because she’s Asian, but, the fact is, it honestly doesn’t matter whether or not they mean to be racist, but it’s somewhat hard to believe it has nothing to do with the character being East Asian: It would be very different if she were a white character being treated the same way, since there’s really no cultural baggage that presents white people as subhuman (you’re literally calling her a “gremlin”) and childlike (don’t try to dispute this, half those comics put her in a drat diaper), but for SOME REASON the white characters in the game are never presented that way!

The one exception to that is in the Halloween sprays where D.Va is very much presented as a child, and defenders like to claim this makes Gremlin D.Va “canon,” although this doesn’t really hold any water, since the sprays seem to show children dressed as the heroes trick-or-treating, and almost all the heroes are given a trick-or-treater spray. Here’s just a handful, for instance:

Now, I’ve gotten yelled at a lot for calling the meme racist, and 99 times out of 100 it is, but the fact remains, even if it was totally not racist: it’s just plain not funny! It’s boring and unimaginative and doesn’t make sense! People always try to act like “it’s just a video game, it’s fictional, let us have our jokes,” and I wholeheartedly agree, except that I expect jokes to be even mildly funny.

People also come back with “but it’s Chibi! Haven’t you ever heard of Chibi!” which, of course I have!! In fact, like all the Overwatch heroes, there’s a Chibi version of her available in the game! It doesn’t look like a screaming dorito-encrusted toddler in the care of a cheap knockoff Clint Eastwood, though, it looks like a chibi version of the character:

There she is standing next to her mech! She’s got a look and pose indicative of her trademark cocksure attitude, she’s clearly an adult and not a child, she’s not sexualized in this image without being desexualized through infantilization, and it looks like her, but in that style!!

Now, the thing is, I know it’s futile to ask racists to stop being racist, especially when they don’t agree they are being racist. They think they’re being funny, and they try to dismiss any criticisms with “it’s not that serious,” but the thing is, if it wasn’t that serious to them, why do they throw a little tantrum whenever anyone voices discomfort with it? And I mean every single time, they whine and complain and act smugly superior because they haven’t been “offended,” but the fact is that most normal fans of the game are content to roll their eyes and scroll past their unfunny meme, and they’re the ones who get all worked up whenever they find out people don’t think it’s funny.

Which is the most important facet of Gremlin D.Va: it’s not funny! It’s boring! It feels like the kind of thing Seth Green would write in a mediocre Robot Chicken sketch that he didn’t put all that much effort into. Even if it wasn’t racist, it just doesn’t make sense that people keep pushing this unfunny joke despite the fact that the response is more groans than laughs! In fact, most people I know mock and ridicule the people who are boring enough to find it funny!

So, that’s basically it in a nutshell.

This post is astounding by every single measure, and I love it.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Sick atm, on mobile so no images feom me, but please post more gremlin. Gremlin will power my shitposting engines. Can you really leave a goon without the power to shitpost? It's just cruel.

For just a single gremlin a day, you can heal a goon.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Umaru is a good girl and doesn't deserve that treatment

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

DicktheCat posted:

Sick atm, on mobile so no images feom me, but please post more gremlin. Gremlin will power my shitposting engines. Can you really leave a goon without the power to shitpost? It's just cruel.

get well soon

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Waffleman_ posted:

Also, like, you can just not like a thing without the thing being evil.

No, you see, because the only correct outrage is my outrage and if you don't agree with me you're literally Hitler because I am a person who was poorly socialized as a child/is genuinely autistic and so I can't possibly be wrong about anything ever.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

DicktheCat posted:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I thought the whole "gremlin" thing was just a silly meme based on Hana not liking being called a kid when she was youngest in the group, and kids are messy eaters thus Doritos because gamers, etc. :(

I don't play Overwatch or know their backstories :old:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

No, you see, because the only correct outrage is my outrage and if you don't agree with me you're literally Hitler because I am a person who was poorly socialized as a child/is genuinely autistic and so I can't possibly be wrong about anything ever.

Now let me tell you how you have too many telomeres

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I thought the whole "gremlin" thing was just a silly meme based on Hana not liking being called a kid when she was youngest in the group, and kids are messy eaters thus Doritos because gamers, etc. :(

It's just a thing that's laying into the doritos and Mountain Dew stereotype for gamers and some people are looking wayyyyyy too deep into it. Just like what happened when the Matrix came out.

Overwatch's story isn't that interesting so no loss on not knowing it.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Omg stop being racist by appropriating the "3" emoticon mouth shape

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

No you have it pretty much right- I honestly don't know where Pomp's magical stream of insanity came from but it's funny as all hell.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

It's just a thing that's laying into the doritos and Mountain Dew stereotype for gamers and some people are looking wayyyyyy too deep into it. Just like what happened when the Matrix came out.

Overwatch's story isn't that interesting so no loss on not knowing it.

Yeah. Gremlin D.Va is just making fun of the pandering aspect of the character. Anyone claiming it's a racist caricature is literally just mad that the Gremlin itself is hitting too close to home, so they're grasping at straws to try and turn the situation around to make the people enjoying the joke into jerks. Wouldn't be surprised if the person of Pomps source unironically identifies themselves as a Gamer, as their sole defining adjective.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Some people are freaking out that Overwatch is doing a Lunar/Chinese New Year event and D.Va/Mei's outfits are cultural appropriation (nevermind how popular the game is over there), I think it just attracts that sorta audience.

HGH has a new favorite as of 20:19 on Jan 19, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Skaw posted:

Yeah. Gremlin D.Va is just making fun of the pandering aspect of the character. Anyone claiming it's a racist caricature is literally just mad that the Gremlin itself is hitting too close to home, so they're grasping at straws to try and turn the situation around to make the people enjoying the joke into jerks. Wouldn't be surprised if the person of Pomps source unironically identifies themselves as a Gamer, as their sole defining adjective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUPJW9lmn9I

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

You forgot part 2

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

HGH posted:

Some people are freaking out that Overwatch is doing a Lunar/Chinese New Year event and D.Va/Mei's outfits are cultural appropriation (nevermind how popular the game is over there), I think it just attracts that sorta audience.

It's cultural appropriation to put a Korean woman in a hanbok now???

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I don't play Overwatch so I didn't even know the small gremlin child was supposed to be Asian until now.

But now that I do I know that it's hella racist.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Gremlin D.Va by request

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

I don't play Overwatch so I didn't even know the small gremlin child was supposed to be Asian until now.

But now that I do I know that it's hella racist.

*Korean :eng101:

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Outing myself as a huge nerd:

The whole premise of this show is that Example A up there is the perfect student. Good grades, popular, good at sports, etc. When she gets home she becomes that gremlin thing, and spends all day playing games and eating junk food.

So, it's a D.Va analogy as well.

Please don't hate me.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

J.A.B.C. posted:

Outing myself as a huge nerd:

The whole premise of this show is that Example A up there is the perfect student. Good grades, popular, good at sports, etc. When she gets home she becomes that gremlin thing, and spends all day playing games and eating junk food.

So, it's a D.Va analogy as well.

Please don't hate me.

I don't hate you, but I do want to know what the anime's title is...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's 'Himouto! Umaru-chan', it's on Crunchyroll and is good, though she's pretty annoying in the first episode it gets better.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

The funniest thing about the whole reaction to that Winnie the Pooh game is that very few people figured out that you were supposed to upgrade your stats, hence the difficulty.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

The only problem with the D.Va gremlin thing is like, it's all you basically see out of weird fanart of her. It might be a funny joke, but it'd be cool if overwatch fanart tried doing more than just a single meme/joke forever.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
I'm out of the loop for the context to these Winnie The Pooh fanarts, someone fill me in?

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

^^^ ooooooooold rear end meme

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/winnie-the-pooh-s-home-run-derby

HGH posted:

I remember seeing some people talk about how insensitive/stereotypical some of the skins in dota 2 were for one of the chinese new year events and it's hilarious because china fuckin' loves that poo poo and is the only reason it exists

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
A few from this Tumblr post

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

XavierGenisi posted:

The only problem with the D.Va gremlin thing is like, it's all you basically see out of weird fanart of her. It might be a funny joke, but it'd be cool if overwatch fanart tried doing more than just a single meme/joke forever.

Other characters generally have a bit more creativity applied to them by the fanbase but D.Va's extra one note-y in a cast of one note characters.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

XavierGenisi posted:

I mean there is other fanart, it's just that it's of the "borderline-pedoshit" variety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

XavierGenisi posted:

Yeah, same here. I don't mind when there's actually a joke to it beyond 'drew her with doritos and mtn dew' but the problem is that that seems to be like 80% of all the art you can find.

At least Mei as a psychopath has some variation to it.

• Locked thread