Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

504 posted:

A hero of the resistance, the new "rebellion" and the start of the movie and literal rebellion by the end.

An officer in the first order, literally the child of the empire.

Force ghosts are good guys. Snoke is a bad guy.

Plagus didn't figure out how to become a force ghost, he found a way to prevent death.

And again, Disney wants a giant "appeal to everyone" movie, they are not bringing in goofy crap.

I didn't realize your measure of connected was just anything that reasonably fit into the Star Wars universe.

I don't know what your issue with force ghosts are but they are a fairly important theme in the 6 originals and are exactly what a Sith would consider "cheating death"

We don't have a Sith term for it because we haven't seen it. Do you just imagine Plagueis is a zombie or just flat out immortal because that would make little sense considering the dark and the light side are just different sides to the same coin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I don't want to pick a fight, sorry if I came across as a dick,

There's just no way Disney are going to put anything into their brand new 4 billion dollar purchase that wont be sucked down by the public, The EU was mostly very very dreadful and only sold to the worst obsessive nerds imaginable. We already have examples of this from current movies, the unfinished DS from the end of Sith is (according to canon) actually a "test run" to see if the real station would work. But now the movie creators (using this as a catch all) have flat out said, "No, its the death star, just like you saw in the movie"

Look at it from the point of view of the average Joe that has seen the SW movies but doesn't know much/anything about the EU,

Snoke is... Some guy! He has no history and unknown goals/desires, he's pretty much a meaningless background character

Snoke is... The uberDarktenticle monster!! as seen in the book 32 "Starwars: the even bigger evil than the last book"

Snoke is... The guy that trained the Emperor! A previously mention character and someone I have heard of even if I have to rewatch SoTs to recall exactly what it was.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Martman posted:

Snoke is actually Obi-Wan's force ghost, continuing to rely on trickery even beyond the grave. He just wants to find Luke so he can hang out with him again.

He was a good friend.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

504 posted:

There's just no way Disney are going to put anything into their brand new 4 billion dollar purchase that wont be sucked down by the public, The EU was mostly very very dreadful and only sold to the worst obsessive nerds imaginable. We already have examples of this from current movies, the unfinished DS from the end of Sith is (according to canon) actually a "test run" to see if the real station would work. But now the movie creators (using this as a catch all) have flat out said, "No, its the death star, just like you saw in the movie"

Look at it from the point of view of the average Joe that has seen the SW movies but doesn't know much/anything about the EU,

Snoke is... Some guy! He has no history and unknown goals/desires, he's pretty much a meaningless background character

Snoke is... The uberDarktenticle monster!! as seen in the book 32 "Starwars: the even bigger evil than the last book"

Snoke is... The guy that trained the Emperor! A previously mention character and someone I have heard of even if I have to rewatch SoTs to recall exactly what it was.

IDK, I think the average Joe will accept "Snoke is... some guy!" as long as they give him a good enough story.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!
One of the big things in the new cannon is aggressively excising any type of Dark Side Force Ghost. The reasoning is that the Dark Side instead focuses on physical immortality, but cannot achieve spiritual immortality.

That leaves tons of wiggle room to play in, but they seem to have set up that rule.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

21 Muns posted:

IDK, I think the average Joe will accept "Snoke is... some guy!" as long as they give him a good enough story.

That's true, but it would have to be an absolute cracker to stand alone after 6 movies and a billion other things. Don't get me wrong though, id LOVE it to be so good I didn't mind.

I adore the Kylo Ren character now, an autist manchild, completely insecure and inadequate despite being spectacularly powerful. I was wrong in my first opinion which was "This guys a dork and therefore a terrible badguy"

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

504 posted:

Eh.. You ascribe way too much importance on the background history of a character to it's reception by the general public. A character having its basis in the EU doesn't actually mean anything to 99.99% of people that watch these movies.

The entire MCU is built on "Hey, poo poo, we only have the rights to the goofiest loving comic characters that most people have NEVER loving HEARD OF. Even worse, we only have the rights to the lamest of the lame baddies." Of course, everyone that watches MCU movies cares deeply about the fact that Iron Man and Thor are goofy comic characters that only nerdlords gave a poo poo about 15 years ago, right? No, dude, because the fact that they were introduced as "real" characters in a blockbuster made them not-nerdy anymore.

Rocket loving Racoon is a popular character that my mom, wife, and kids know about. My teenage daughter has a pair of socks with GROOT on them, for fucks sake. This is the new normal. Nobody gives a poo poo where a character originated. All that matters is what is on the screen.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I think the valid argument is more, "This exciting connection to an obscure character is not especially appealing to the target audience."

If they explain Snoke from scratch, audiences will get that. If he's the old Emperor's Sith teacher, that reads as "impressive super evil guy" and does the job nicely, without any additional lore.

If he's related to one of those funny looking badguys in that cartoon... well, I mean, sure he could be. But why? It'd be an extraneous detail that wouldn't add to the story in the movie and would possibly constrain what they could do if they were going to make an original backstory for Snoke.

I'm not convinced by the argument "he can't be original!" or "he can't be Plagueis!" It's probably one of those two options.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

eyebeem posted:

Eh.. You ascribe way too much importance on the background history of a character to it's reception by the general public. A character having its basis in the EU doesn't actually mean anything to 99.99% of people that watch these movies.

The entire MCU is built on "Hey, poo poo, we only have the rights to the goofiest loving comic characters that most people have NEVER loving HEARD OF. Even worse, we only have the rights to the lamest of the lame baddies." Of course, everyone that watches MCU movies cares deeply about the fact that Iron Man and Thor are goofy comic characters that only nerdlords gave a poo poo about 15 years ago, right? No, dude, because the fact that they were introduced as "real" characters in a blockbuster made them not-nerdy anymore.

Rocket loving Racoon is a popular character that my mom, wife, and kids know about. My teenage daughter has a pair of socks with GROOT on them, for fucks sake. This is the new normal. Nobody gives a poo poo where a character originated. All that matters is what is on the screen.

I don't understand this post at all..

first you say "You ascribe way too much importance on the background history of a character to it's reception by the general public." then you say "Rocket loving Racoon is a popular character that my mom, wife, and kids know about. My teenage daughter has a pair of socks with GROOT on them, for fucks sake".. where did they learn about Groot and RR? Was it the movie they were in? because before GotG id never heard of them and you sure as hell could not buy socks featuring them.

And you seem to have missed the point that "New (to the general public) characters in movies that make them famous" is different to "New characters in a sequel to a series of movies stretching 30 years that even people with absolutely no interest in can recognize"

Id also like to point out that I just posted that I liked the brand new Kylo Ren, and am not saying lacking a past is impossible to succeed with, I'm saying there is no way the BIg Bad of starwars is going to be a nobody.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!
Everyone was a nobody in the OT.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
Saw Guerra was a character from the Clone Wars TV show. I think people will swallow anything at this point.

Just came back from Disneyland where they sell absurd amounts of poo poo from every little obscure character from all the canon material.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

There's absolutely room for original characters, I think the issue here is that the only interesting thing about Snoke is the mystery at this point. If the "reveal" is that he's just some random wannabe Palpatine then yeah that'll be disappointing. I don't think he has to be revealed to be some pre-existing character for it to be interesting though.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Hodgepodge posted:

One of the big things in the new cannon is aggressively excising any type of Dark Side Force Ghost. The reasoning is that the Dark Side instead focuses on physical immortality, but cannot achieve spiritual immortality.

That leaves tons of wiggle room to play in, but they seem to have set up that rule.
Yoda ran into Darth Bane's ghost in Clone Wars, but it was hanging around his own tomb so he was probably pretty lovely if he was just stuck playing haunted house all day.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Martman posted:

There's absolutely room for original characters, I think the issue here is that the only interesting thing about Snoke is the mystery at this point. If the "reveal" is that he's just some random wannabe Palpatine then yeah that'll be disappointing. I don't think he has to be revealed to be some pre-existing character for it to be interesting though.

I completely agree, I'm not saying there isn't, but even the originals have been "spawned" from a connection to the OT, and you have put more eloquently than me the issue with Snoke, revealing he is nobody will be dull, his mystery is definitely "Who is this big secretive blue guy" and Disney isn't going to risk disappointing people when they will be flogging us a new movie every year.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't actually read anything from the EU, but I hear people, people who seem to know what they're talking about, hype Thrawn up so much that I actually do want to see him used for something sooner or later. Apparently his existence is still canon, he was in the Rebels show supposedly. IDK if he'd fit in the main line, but making him the antagonist of one of the anthology movies at least would be cool. I don't know anything about him, and I want to, but I don't want to go beyond the movies. So please bring him to the movies, Disney. Thanks.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

21 Muns posted:

I haven't actually read anything from the EU, but I hear people, people who seem to know what they're talking about, hype Thrawn up so much that I actually do want to see him used for something sooner or later. Apparently his existence is still canon, he was in the Rebels show supposedly. IDK if he'd fit in the main line, but making him the antagonist of one of the anthology movies at least would be cool. I don't know anything about him, and I want to, but I don't want to go beyond the movies. So please bring him to the movies, Disney. Thanks.

Thrawn is prominently featured in the current season of Rebels.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Thrawn is a great character, his books completely revitalized the very dead franchise. He was well written and different from Vader and Sheev (He was in charge because he was good at his job not because he had the force)

Unfortunately 20 years of (lets be kind) less well thought out ideas and rehashes have buried him under the pile. You will read a lot of criticism here about his books, but keep in mind the he was the first character to do the now overused, boring things he did, and quite frankly a lot of the criticisms aimed at the books are REALLY over exaggerated, or even simply made up wholesale.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Hodgepodge posted:

Robot Style posted:

Yoda ran into Darth Bane's ghost in Clone Wars, but it was hanging around his own tomb so he was probably pretty lovely if he was just stuck playing haunted house all day.

They don't really say it outright but I really loved how in the old Tales of the Jedi comics (these were pulpy awesome fun and was the first time the KOTOR setting was used) they had something kind of similar to this. Dark side force ghosts were a thing but they could not appear to a person, instead they were tied to place where they were pretty powerful but couldn't do anything outside of that. A force user could "hear" them nearby but would have to like hang around a specific place for a while and would get possessed by them. So like it was a force ghost but one that could only exist by being focused on the physical and its sense of possession and property.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Snoke is definitely absolutely a Whill.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

They don't really say it outright but I really loved how in the old Tales of the Jedi comics (these were pulpy awesome fun and was the first time the KOTOR setting was used) they had something kind of similar to this. Dark side force ghosts were a thing but they could not appear to a person, instead they were tied to place where they were pretty powerful but couldn't do anything outside of that. A force user could "hear" them nearby but would have to like hang around a specific place for a while and would get possessed by them. So like it was a force ghost but one that could only exist by being focused on the physical and its sense of possession and property.
Wasn't there a thing in a recent comic where Leia sensed Darth Maul's presence somewhere? I don't actually read them so I'm going on half remembered details from wiki articles here.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

504 posted:

Thrawn is a great character, his books completely revitalized the very dead franchise. He was well written and different from Vader and Sheev (He was in charge because he was good at his job not because he had the force)

Unfortunately 20 years of (lets be kind) less well thought out ideas and rehashes have buried him under the pile. You will read a lot of criticism here about his books, but keep in mind the he was the first character to do the now overused, boring things he did, and quite frankly a lot of the criticisms aimed at the books are REALLY over exaggerated, or even simply made up wholesale.
Luuke

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Supposed leak:

Kylo is seen in bacta and we see his helmet lowered on his head like Vader in The Empire Strikes Back.
Hux is killed by Snoke.
Luke is insane and talks to animals on his little island. He disappears (again) leaving Rey to fend for herself against the wildlife on the island.
Rey fights a giant sea monster and then gets chased into a giant tree by the island birds.
Inside the tree she meets the Force Ghosts of Obi-Wan and Yoda.
Outside the tree she awakes to Luke standing above her with a bird with giant eyes.
Luke tells Rey she has to kill Kylo, but she doesn't want to.
Kylo and Rey connect to each other through the Force, and then he arrives on the planet.
There's a fight and Kylo knocks Rey off a cliff and incapacitates her before the island birds swarm Kylo.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
BRIAN FELLOW'S LUKE SKYWALKER'S SAFARI PLANET

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
I really doubt Rian Johnson is going to mirror a bunch of ESB stuff, but maybe that's just me.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Kylo is seen in bacta and we see his helmet lowered on his head like Vader in The Empire Strikes Back.

I hope it's not the same helmet. I liked the look of him in this concept art piece:

Or if his mask was a design similar to this dude from The Old Republic RPG game:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Supposed leak:

Hux is killed by Snoke.
Luke is insane and talks to animals on his little island. He disappears (again) leaving Rey to fend for herself against the wildlife on the island.
Rey fights a giant sea monster and then gets chased into a giant tree by the island birds.
Outside the tree she awakes to Luke standing above her with a bird with giant eyes.
Kylo and Rey connect to each other through the Force, and then he arrives on the planet.
There's a fight and Kylo knocks Rey off a cliff and incapacitates her before the island birds swarm Kylo.

Star Wars: Jumanji

Hallowed
May 28, 2007

It's a pipe bomb!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Supposed leak:

Hux is killed by Snoke.

That sounds awful.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

I don't know it, but I love it.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

BigglesSWE posted:

I don't know it, but I love it.

WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Trioculus

EU is bad.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Well yeah, I'm not a complete nutter, I knew THAT. I just didn't know....what....that....thing....was about.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

:psyboom:

The EU has a few good stuff in there. I read the Thrawn trilogy when I was in my teens, and other than "Luuke" it was really good I thought. I haven't read anything else though.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

enraged_camel posted:

:psyboom:

The EU has a few good stuff in there. I read the Thrawn trilogy when I was in my teens, and other than "Luuke" it was really good I thought. I haven't read anything else though.

I tried re-reading one of the Thrawn books a while back, because I make poor life decisions, and it appalled me how terrible the writing was ... in particular every character saying "point" when responding to someone else in a conversation.

Point.

Point point point point point. :fuckoff:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

You know, at first I was just gonna make fun of the fact that a three-eyed dude called himself loving Trioculus, but then I got to:

quote:

...Trioculus was in actuality an impostor, usurping the role of Palpatine's true son, three-eyed mutant Triclops.
:suicide:

Burn the EU, salt the ashes.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
He had some fun adventures with Jabba's dad though!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!

Captain Splendid posted:

Jabba's dad had a sweet beard.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

They were awful but they were also children's books. Of course the adult material was just as bad so welp

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Hodgepodge posted:

Jabba's dad had a sweet beard.

That's literally the only Hutt ever to have hair, and for some reason it makes my skin crawl. I guess back then they went by the novelization of ROTJ, which claimed Jabba's hair had fallen out due to a combination of diseases.
Now I'm not a fan of "every member of a Star Wars species has to look and act like the one example we see in the movies", but this is one case where I support the argument: I'd rather not imagine hairy Hutts. A thin Hutt, sure, go ahead, but hairy? Somehow that disturbs me.
(In the Clone Wars series you had a few Hutts wearing wigs, but at least those were made from living starfish creatures...)

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Captain Splendid posted:

You'd get so sick of waiting for this dude to catch up whenever you walked places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i just realised that snoke is the leader of 'the first order' because there's a certain other Order who brainwashed its followers as children into doing what it wanted, and which had an army that always dressed in white armor

which, to be honest, makes the dumbass 'snoke is actually mace windu!!!' conspiracy theory almost make sense, because of course mace windu is going to think luke's new jedi order is terrible and blasphemous or whatever, though it doesn't explain why he's an evil dark side smoke monster [assuming he's evil, the dark side, and/or a smoke monster, of course]

alternative dumb conspiracy: 'the first order' is a reference to 'Execute Order 66', which is why they're so obsessed with killing jedi, and snoke is a palpatine clone or whatever - but that's boring and it sucks (but is more likely to be true because palpatine is responsible for everything ever)

• Locked thread