Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Huuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhh is she tied into Animal Man at all?

*remembers Rotworld*

Nevermind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

*remembers Rotworld*

Nevermind.

She showed up in Morrison's run, around the time Buddy figured out he could borrow the self-replication of bacteria.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Synthbuttrange posted:

*remembers Rotworld*

Nevermind.

It's amazing how fast rotworld killed my interest in two groundbreaking and beautiful titles.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Roth posted:

I really liked this page from JLA: Vixen: Rebirth: Reloaded 2

Very apropos of our discussion of coloring these last few pages. Gorgeous.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

I like that one dude grabbing his tunic like "Buddy! You gotta get me outta here!" :hb:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Dick Trauma posted:

I like that one dude grabbing his tunic like "Buddy! You gotta get me outta here!" :hb:

Ripped a hole right in the flesh tunnel!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ghwalta/status/818826781671178240

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

david_a posted:

Are there any re-colors that most people can agree are an improvement?

Also, is there such a thing as a colorized b/w comic that doesn't look completely awful? I would think you would have to remove a ton of the existing shading to make it work remotely well.

Laura Martin's Rocketeer rework is generally well-regarded.
The colors in Batman: Year One were massively improved when it was originally collected as one book. Then they went and hosed them up in 2012 in the "deluxe edition".
I personally like the coloring by Peter Doherty in Flex Mentallo deluxe (shameful whitewhashing aside), it is more in line with the way Quitely has always colored himself and the way he is mostly colored now. While original Killing Joke had classic and unique acid palette, original Flex was mostly flat despite the bright colors - don't really miss them.

All colored versions of Paul Pope's b/w work are quite good. Bone is better with colors, in my opinion.

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 13, 2017

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Oog, this is a fine watercolor but I'm not sure I like that composition at all. A picture which leads the eye directly away from the picture.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well I dunno if these count since they were black and white to start but Bone and Scott Pilgrim are loving kick rear end rad in color.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What did people make of the hardcover(s?) that colored in the Mirage TMNT?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

qntm posted:

Oog, this is a fine watercolor but I'm not sure I like that composition at all. A picture which leads the eye directly away from the picture.

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be a "snapshot" style composition, like what you' might get if you took a picture with your phone, so I'm okay with it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Well I dunno if these count since they were black and white to start but Bone and Scott Pilgrim are loving kick rear end rad in color.

Scott Pilgrim works especially well because of the focus on the female characters' hair colours. Like we get told about Knives dyeing hers or that Ramona changes hers a lot, but seeing it helps immensely. Plus BLOM's pencils scream for matte colours anyway

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

It's amazing how fast rotworld killed my interest in two groundbreaking and beautiful titles.

That's a lie.

Nothing about rotworld was fast

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have

Synthbuttrange posted:

That's a lie.

Nothing about rotworld was fast

:vince:

Most accurate description.

Rotworld did lead to the best issue of Animal Man (Buddy remembering the deal with the spider lady)

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Something often overlooked in this re-color is the sound of the character screaming as he falls. In the re-color, it's completely filled in and gets immediately lost.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Android Blues posted:

I have to say, I do quite like what they did with the flashbacks in the Killing Joke recolour, so that's one thing it has going for it. I think it would have worked a lot better if the muted colours were contrasting with lurid colours in the present day, though.

Here's one panel comparison that I just find generally egregious.

The image is pretty small, but look at how the blue lighting in the original scene is used to convey depth and a sense of position. Thanks to the fact that Batman and the Joker are both lit in blue, but to different degrees, we can tell intuitively exactly how far the Joker is standing behind Batman and we're aware that he's going to have to lunge forward with that knife. Then, with the pink lighting covering his entire back in the fifth panel, we see that Joker's getting doubled over so hard that he's now completely in the light he previously had his back to. This gives a sense of motion and dynamism. The clever use of high contrast colour to convey light and depth really adds to the energy and readability of the scene.

In the recoloured scene, you sadly don't get any of that. Joker is purple, white, and green, Batman is blue-black, and any variations in light source are expressed by flat shading and a bit of airbrush blending on the light and dark edges of their figures. The vivid lighting that was previously used to express motion and depth is gone entirely. It's not an awful series of panels, and the colouring is basically competent, but it loses so much of what made the original page great and gains, I think, nothing by it.

I'm far, far from an art critic. Like Bloodly, I don't really understand what makes the modern recolors so bad. I know that I like the old one better but I can't really articulate why.

But I did notice something with the above comparison. The coloring in the old one is doing quite a bit of storytelling. In the first two panels, Batman is painted in the same light as the Joker. He's prone and at Joker's mercy. In the next two panels, the pink light is steadily receding . Batman is recovering and regained his senses enough to stop Joker's attack. In the last panel, Batman is almost entirely free of the pink light - back in black and blue (grey?) - and easily counters Joker.

In the new one, all of that action is still there, but the coloring isn't helping, you know?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
The Batman/Joker color comparison is jarring. I've never really taken note with re-colored art before, but it's shocking just how much is taken away by the change.

The re-colored artwork becomes completely static, losing the flow of the original art. Also, it's damned dark! It's almost insulting to the artist who drew it to wash out the details.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

It's almost insulting to the artist who drew it to wash out the details.

The original artist did the recolouring.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I still think the Year One recolor is better than the original.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The original artist did the recolouring.

Well...poo poo. I can't even begin to try to comprehend what he was trying to achieve with the final product.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It feels like Bolland wanted to go with a Schindler's List-esque "plain mostly, significant objects stand out in red" motif for the recolour, but then you end up with all these pages that no longer work very well individually because they don't have any of the significant objects on them and are just visually filling time. And even the ones where red objects are present lose a lot of their old weight or meaning in service of the gimmick.

It does work in the flashbacks. I don't think it works extended to the rest of the book, or at least not very well.

It could also be that DC editorial was like, "well, we want a modern-looking book that looks different from the original and fits with Batman's current brand image", and that guided his choices. Ultimately though, I think the artist's intent is a bit of a side note when it comes to judging the impact of the finished work. You can see how the colouring choices change (often for the worse) the impact and meaning of the linework, and that's the most important thing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Anyway I don't see why Bolland's intent is worth more than the original colorist's.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, that's true as well. John Higgins is a dynamite colourist who consistently makes fantastic choices.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Higgins is a respected comic artist in his own right (he's done a ton of stuff for 2000AD, for a start - probably more than Bolland), so Bolland essentially saying "I wanted to get rid of this poo poo in favour of my TRUE VISION" was a bit of a smack in the face. Wouldn't Moore originally have given some direction about the colouring and lighting in his script? It's not as if he doesn't work very closely with his collaborators.

gus rules ok
Aug 2, 2016

Payndz posted:

Higgins is a respected comic artist in his own right (he's done a ton of stuff for 2000AD, for a start - probably more than Bolland), so Bolland essentially saying "I wanted to get rid of this poo poo in favour of my TRUE VISION" was a bit of a smack in the face. Wouldn't Moore originally have given some direction about the colouring and lighting in his script? It's not as if he doesn't work very closely with his collaborators.

I'm skimming through the script, and there are occasional descriptions like "the blue light atop the police car washes over them" and "there is an interesting oscillating display of liquid light and shadow patterns," but it looks like there's still room to improvise on the colouring.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Dan Panosian had a really interesting piece on his facebook about inking btw.

https://www.facebook.com/danpanosian/posts/10154990270695712

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Been reading old Moon Knight lately and I thought this cover was pretty rad.

RevKrule posted:

Dan Panosian had a really interesting piece on his facebook about inking btw.

https://www.facebook.com/danpanosian/posts/10154990270695712

Thanks, that was a good read.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Batman #15 with art by Mitch Gerads
After banging between issues, Batman and Catwoman can't agree on their first encounter.

With Mitch recalling the style of Batman #whatever-original-meeting and Frank Miller/David Mazzucchelli's Batman: Year One.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

That's so perfect. So so good.

It does make me laugh to see the Batman cowl on the ground with the eyes still lit up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's from Batman #1 from 1940 and the artist Bob Kane.

I always love it when writers and artists find fun ways to integrate actual real world poo poo like multiple origin stories into the world of comics like this.

One of my favorites is Al Ewing figuring out a way to make a loving IAP currency an actual comics mcguffin without making it seem painfully tacked on.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

So Zero Year doesn't count anymore?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Alhazred posted:

Everything counts.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

purple death ray posted:

Everything counts.

Except if you thought it sucked and it's not explicitly mentioned in the current book, then it doesn't.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
"Quiet or Papa spank"?

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Discendo Vox posted:

"Quiet or Papa spank"?

The 1940s!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Awwww :3:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Alhazred posted:

I can't recall her in the main storyline. Maybe Tom King discovered that nobody had bothered to pin down their first encounter in the N52. It's a 'neat thing' anyhow.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Lobok posted:

Been reading old Moon Knight lately and I thought this cover was pretty rad.

Thanks, that was a good read.

Thumbnail makes it look like he has a guitar and he's going for a power chord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

IT IS COLD AND BARREN HERE AND HE CAN'T NOT MELT THEIR FACES