Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

SousaphoneColossus posted:

Have podcasts have been around long enough for comedians to be able to tell whether a random one-off or occasional appearance (as opposed to being a host of a podcast that really takes off) actually makes a difference IRL? I often wonder how much plugs on CBB and other kinda-big shows actually translate to ticket or album sales for the guests.

I'm probably the comedy equivalent of an f2p game whale - for almost 10 years, I've made a point of going to see any comedian or podcaster who has a show I've half-enjoyed, including trips to LA/NYC/big festivals, as well as anything non-corny that comes to my city off the major comedy corridors. Have seen James Adomian like 10 times over that span, in part because CBB Jesse Ventura begat his album and he's a popular guest on a lot of showcase shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
I pretty much only listen to podcasts and watch twitch streams at this point for entertainment, if you don't exist on those I don't know who you are. I don't fault adomain though, no ones making a career off my miserly, free-loading spending habits so I don't fault him at all

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Hes cool

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

feedmyleg posted:

Isn't the point of going on podcasts to promote the things you do outside of podcasts? Don't think it's the listeners faults.

And he was always one of the ones who does his plugs in character. Whose loving fault is that.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Not wanting to do a podcast for free when it hasn't resulted in helping with promotion is a reasonable position

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Groucho Marxist posted:

Not wanting to do a podcast for free when it hasn't resulted in helping with promotion is a reasonable position

Yeah, if that's been his experience it's totally reasonable for him to stay away, or even to be bitter about the experience. He should probably learn to take a deep breath before tweeting though, because criticizing fans and gatekeepers on a regular basis probably isn't great for his career either.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
He can do whatever he wants, in my opinion. I won't stop him, and, lets be honest, can't.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The only reason I know about James Adomian is via Earwolf shows and The Todd Glass Show. I can't say I've made money directly go into Adomian's pocket, but I've watched most of the Trump vs. Bernie stuff and recommended it to others a number of times. Looked at his IMDB and saw he's done a bit of voice acting in cartoons but not much else. Not really sure what else he wants me to do other than buy a comedy album, which I haven't done for any comic in a decade and certainly wouldn't start with a guy who (as far as I know) is known more for character work than for traditional standup.

I'd pay to see him live if he was around New York. But if he lives here like someone said on the last page, it's news to me since I go to a ton of comedy shows and have never seen him around.

Dude just kinda seems angry his career isn't where he wants it to be, which is understandable but hardly the fault of podcasts, the fans, or of SNL.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 19, 2017

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Work Friend Keven posted:

He can do whatever he wants, in my opinion. I won't stop him, and, lets be honest, can't.

I can and will.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

The only reason I know about James Adomian is via Earwolf shows and The Todd Glass Show. I can't say I've made money directly go into Adomian's pocket, but I've watched most of the Trump vs. Bernie stuff and recommended it to others a number of times. Looked at his IMDB and saw he's done a bit of voice acting in cartoons but not much else. Not really sure what else he wants me to do other than buy a comedy album, which I haven't done for any comic in a decade and certainly wouldn't start with a guy who (as far as I know) is known more for character work than for traditional standup.

I'd pay to see him live if he was around New York. But if he lives here like someone said on the last page, it's news to me since I go to a ton of comedy shows and have never seen him around.

Dude just kinda seems angry his career isn't where he wants it to be, which is understandable but hardly the fault of podcasts, the fans, or of SNL.

Yeah. Honestly I wouldn't know who Adomian was without listening to Podcasts he's been on. I did see him once here in NY at the Bell House as part of something else but may have passed if I didn't know him from something else. And, between you and me, I to this day believe he was checking me out hard from the stage.

If it weren't for podcasts I wouldn't know 90% of the comedians I do today. Sure they don't get paid but the exposure is definitely worth something.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
He's been on the Stern show recently, his Jesse Ventura was a hit with Robin and Howard.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

UP AND ADAM posted:

I think Adomian's the best.

manyak posted:

Hes cool

nah he's hitler

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I saw Adomian do live standup and it was pretty good.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Saw him in Boston years ago entirely due to knowing him from podcasts and he was incredible but looking him up now welp lol he's apparently got dates scheduled for Beijing and Shanghai so uhhhhhh yeah

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Alt right Paul Giamatti cracks me the gently caress up on chapo trap house.

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

adomians standup is pretty good you should go see him if you get a chance.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Another comic I recently heard complaining that podcast exposure has not helped was Graham Elwood talking about all his appearances on Doug Loves Movies whilst on Bert Kreischer's podcast. I think over-exposure was a big problem in that department.

I thought the SNL rage was dumb, but I like James' appearances, so I guess I will listen to his Bernie stuff on Spotify, to give him 30th of a cent (divided by two).

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I dunno I think Graham being annoying on DLM is his biggest downfall not overexposure.
I mean I'd go see Geoff Tate and he's been on a lot too. Heck, I'd go see Doug and he's been on way more than Graham. Doesn't Graham have or had a Podcast himself? (E:yeah since about 2010). I think Graham is just looking for a scapegoat.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Moved my response to the Doug Loves Movies thread.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I never found Graham Elwood funny.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think his Bane stuff going on like, two or three years after the movie made me quit DLM.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Alternatively, comedians are allowed to be upset they aren't as famous as they hoped.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Am I allowed to be upset at your tangentially related doesn't actually address the topic I'm the bigger man post days after the discussion ended or is that on the list of things thats illegal to be upset about.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Be upset about everything at all times, IMO.

JohnnyC
Jun 8, 2008
Podcast thread in the podcast forum

JohnnyC
Jun 8, 2008
I didn't listen to the ep of Spont where PFT explains why he's not doing the live shows at the Largo anymore. Could someone recap that for me, because I'll probably never get around to tracking that episode down

JohnnyC
Jun 8, 2008
Also there's a lot of bad pods on Earwolf now imo. The Chris Gethard dreams one is funny at least. If Hollywood Handbook stops i might cancel my subscription and just wait for the inevitable illegal MEGA archive

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He said the crowds weren't there any more.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

JohnnyC posted:

Also there's a lot of bad pods on Earwolf now imo. The Chris Gethard dreams one is funny at least. If Hollywood Handbook stops i might cancel my subscription and just wait for the inevitable illegal MEGA archive

You mean you're not into a Hamilton podcast?

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
I'm still pretty bummed that with ads taken into account they have like twenty minutes of improv now per ep. My favorite episodes would have been strangled in the crib if they didn't have enough time to develop and most of them even managed to have solid beginnings middles and ends. Now it's like, it's like..these jokers just get together and goof off!!

ChumpsForChange
Jun 2, 2011

JohnnyC posted:

I didn't listen to the ep of Spont where PFT explains why he's not doing the live shows at the Largo anymore. Could someone recap that for me, because I'll probably never get around to tracking that episode down

I think he couldn't sell it out for live shows was the only reason he gave

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Now Hollywood Handbook has been pretty good lately, but Gabrus episode might be a classic for me. Hayes following around Gabruzoned Joe Wengert while he out Gabrus-es Gabrus was almost Big Apple Bible levels of greatness.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Wish I could say I was surprised to hear that Wengert has become a berserker but we all knew it was just a matter of time with that guy

cams
Mar 28, 2003

this was an all time classic handbook. best podcast.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

20 minutes into this week's HH and it's loving amazing.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Jon Gabrus is good and when they start talking about his complicated reward system it's so good. Great ep. C+

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

JohnnyC posted:

Teenage Fansub posted:

He said the crowds weren't there any more.

It doesn't help that Largo is like $40 a ticket when literally every non-club comedy show in LA is $5 or free.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

ManoliIsFat posted:

Now Hollywood Handbook has been pretty good lately, but Gabrus episode might be a classic for me. Hayes following around Gabruzoned Joe Wengert while he out Gabrus-es Gabrus was almost Big Apple Bible levels of greatness.

Sean deserves a medal for the willpower he showed in not making fun of the Harold Ramis Comedy School (tuition = $17,500) as hard as he could have.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

It doesn't help that Largo is like $40 a ticket when literally every non-club comedy show in LA is $5 or free.

Yeah I always hear about shows going on at the largo that seem really cool and every time I check out ticket prices I just opt to go to the Virgil or meltdown instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
That HH ep was great but I was just thinking about how incomprehensible it would be for a new listener. You'd have to know HH, John Gabrus and the recent running joke about Hayes being on his podcast.