Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

KomodoWagon posted:

NOT AS BIG AS MINE

MY DICK IS REALLY BIG, INTERNET. loving HUMONGOUS. JUST NEED YOU ALL TO KNOW THAT

THANKS

drat, I just got the dick slapped out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

flop my dong from side to side
kill my dog with cyanide
woooooooah larry

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

I spend my weekends walking around malls, bars, and places where young single women can be found. I tell these women I'm a photographer who's worked with professional models and I think I could get them in to professional modeling. My success rate is better than you might think, and quite a few girls agree to this.

I give them my business card, which is all lies except for my throwaway yahoo account. I tell the girls to email me and we'll set up some studio time. I give them a quick survey to fill out - age, measurements, current address, etc. Anyone under 18 I obviously just ghost on. Anyone over 18 I follow up with and tell them to come visit my studio.

My studio is my apartment. I charge the women around 300 dollars for "professional" photos and "industry contacts" who do not exist. It takes about an hour for the photos. I'm good at reading people and if the girl seems open to some sexier stuff, I push it that way. Never full nudity, but tasteful topless stuff, hidden side boob, that kind of a thing. If the girl really seems in to it, or most likely desperate for fame, I propose that we gently caress.

It's usually something like "I have a huge backlog of photos but I really want to make sure yours get through, since you're so beautiful. If only I knew for sure you really wanted this more than the other girls." Sometimes the girls don't have the 300 dollars, and I propose loving as a way around it. I frame it like I'm a nice guy putting my neck on the line for them, or talk about my wife leaving me, or some other line of horseshit.

In the end I'm either 300 dollars richer, or got laid, or both. And all of this is consensual sex. I also film a lot of it unknown to the girls, in case they do attempt to scream rape later when they don't get famous.

I realize in a lot of circles this makes me a scumbag, but I'm not really hurting anyone. It's a learning experience for the girls not to trust anybody, I get paid for it, and we both get to enjoy having sex. Since guess what? I've never had a girl say I wasn't amazing in bed.

yeah uh I wouldn't trust those testimonials from girls trying to sleep their way into a modeling career bucko

but at any rate I'm skeptical that a ruse that was literally a B-plot on That 70s Show would still work on anyone anyway

quote:

I'm chronically unemployed / underemployed and I'm starting to think that the only way we're going to get the world back in order is with armed revolution. I'm not stockpiling ammo or any dumb poo poo like that but the more I look at the state of the world with automation taking more and more menial jobs and the dissolution of borders the more I realize that me and really many people like me in the first world are pretty much redundant.

Of course dick sucking corporate apologists will be like 'well just work harder' through sloppy mouthfuls of billionaire cock and massive debt they can never hope to loving assail in their or their kids lifetimes but I think the problem is basically capitalism is a life support system for a core of leeches and middlemen with a bloated fat head made from billionaires.

Don't get it twisted I work and I work hard when I can get it but there's no job security or guarantees and so I don't /do/ anything with the money I make except... exist? I eat it up. Smoke it. Keep my lights on and even that feels prohibitively expensive. The whole time people are like 'Cmon just get debted, jump up to the next tier of servitude' and all I can feel is no? Its not economically viable these days. My money is worth less, not worthless but worth a lot less. My generation cannot afford mortgages.

Some of my family have fallen down the debt trap though and they're the most miserable people I've ever seen. They buy houses and have kids and get the dog and now the house is falling apart the kids are lovely and the dog is mangy because they don't have enough cash to spin all those plates at one time.

I feel like the only way we can stop all of this is to drag billionaires out into the street and execute them in a bloody uprising. So they stop flying their huge stacks overseas. Their cash is made from our dirt, food and labor anyway.

yeah same kind of

We don't need armed revolution NECESSARILY, but we do need enough reform of the financial and tax and labor and social systems that it'd take a good 50 years of uninterrupted Bernie Sanders presidents to fix everything and I don't really see that happening at this point.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Has photographer guy never heard of Tinder

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.
I'm guessing it would be a lot harder to sell the photographer lie and charge a Tinder hookup $300 to come over to your apartment. I'd expect money to be flowing in the opposite direction in that situation, lol.

But it was probably just a one-handed wank confession anyway, so whatever.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

second guy is kind of right, representative democracy cannot possibly end capitalism. at best it gets you social democrats like Bernie who literally murder people like Rosa Luxemburg for being too leftist. there are probably deec alternatives to armed revolution but im okay with hanging the rich

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
i think we need an armed revolution but i don't do anything crazy like stockpiling ammo or learning to actually shoot because that would be nuts :grin:

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
I think the photographer guy got the idea for his 'confession' from the relationships thread. Dream on mate.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

... there are probably deec alternatives to armed revolution but im okay with hanging the rich

Peopld who say "deec", along with those who say "tendies", will be the first against the wall.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

monkeytennis posted:

I think the photographer guy got the idea for his 'confession' from the relationships thread. Dream on mate.

Not the first time there's been overlap

but I haven't followed that thread in a while, there was enough in-thread drama to rival the content

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

BigBadSteve posted:

Peopld who say "deec", along with those who say "tendies", will be the first against the wall.
i get to see the glorious revolution and die? awesome

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Poor people not understanding debt and being mad about it.

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

The Management posted:

Poor people not understanding debt and being mad about it.

Well as long as I keep making the minimum payment of :20bux: I'm fine. I mean, I'm only $10k in debt. That's less than the price of a brand new car, I don't see what the big deal is.

What does "compounding interest" mean? :confused:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Pearnicious posted:

Well as long as I keep making the minimum payment of :20bux: I'm fine. I mean, I'm only $10k in debt. That's less than the price of a brand new car, I don't see what the big deal is.

What does "compounding interest" mean? :confused:

Cmon just get debted, jump up to the next tier of servitude

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
It's really easy to blame everyone but yourself when you can't buy things you feel entitled to own, in a time frame you feel fits the purchase.

"My generation cannot afford mortgages" lol

Complaining that automation is taking away jobs when, throughout history it has created more jobs than anything even though we've gone through several of these movements, is laughable since the automation everyone's scared of right now isn't even happening yet.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

nickhimself posted:

It's really easy to blame everyone but yourself when you can't buy things you feel entitled to own, in a time frame you feel fits the purchase.

"My generation cannot afford mortgages" lol
Would you say that wage inflation has kept up with the increase in mortgage prices (and general cost of living) over the last 15-20 years?

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Lol international unemployment rates are peaking brutally but sure automation is creating more jobs even though that's entirely self defeating.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

At this point the #1 most common job in like 36 out of 50 states is "truck driver"

Guess what's the #1 business use-case for self-driving cars???

There is absolutely cause for alarm. Manufacturing jobs have all moved overseas, and the only other large sector for unskilled labor is service/retail, which doesn't pay enough to support a family and which is getting automated already anyway. You can always drive a truck if you don't mind not seeing your family for long stretches of time, but the clock's ticking on that one. Tech jobs are still safe, but can't support a workforce large enough to carry the country by itself without the bubble bursting and we don't have a good enough education system to turn everybody into a skilled programmer anyway. Income inequality is at literally unprecedented levels, underemployment is a pandemic, and if there's some new miracle all-employing industry on the horizon to replace everything I sure as hell don't know what it is yet. We need to change some poo poo -- a higher minimum wage so that you can actually have two kids and a small, modest home off of two full-time Walmart jobs would be a start, and some protection to guarantee that the loving Waltons don't react to this by replacing all their cashiers with self-checkout lines.

whiter than a Wilco show posted:

Lol international unemployment rates are peaking brutally but sure automation is creating more jobs even though that's entirely self defeating.

:agreed: If automation didn't allow you to employ less people nobody would be investing all this money into it

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Would you say that wage inflation has kept up with the increase in mortgage prices (and general cost of living) over the last 15-20 years?

since the mid 80's average household income has doubled and mortgage interest rates have dropped to about a third of what they were

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I'm not an economist, nor do I feel the need to do any amount of true research into this because I don't care.

However, as a personal anecdote: I'm a "millenial" and my wife and I have been saving for a house for long enough that now as we're looking we have no concerns regarding being able to afford our mortgage as we've saved more than the requisite 20% without much effort because we don't go out and spend money every single day.

None of my old friends from high school that I've spoken with about this have gone through the same process. They rely on a first time home buyer credit, ultimately get mortgage insurance because they didn't want to wait until they'd saved up the money themselves, and purchase something way bigger than they really need simply because most people seem to equate bigger with better.

So many people, it seems to me, want things immediately then complain about the ramifications of having applied almost zero forethought to what that purchase truly means for their welfare in the long term.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

clear eyes full farts posted:

since the mid 80's average household income has doubled and mortgage interest rates have dropped to about a third of what they were

There seems to be something missing from your maths here.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

They did if you bought a house 4 years ago. If you're trying to buy one now you're p much hosed.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

clear eyes full farts posted:

Yeah, but prices have shot up significantly.

Dumbass. Who gives a poo poo if your mortgage interest rate went down 1% when your actually mortgage quintupled.

Audax fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 19, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My parent's 100k house they bought in the 80's is worth about a million now but we're sure as gently caress not making 10x as much money.
% of income people are having to spend on rent has also been climbing up. Economy is hosed.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

News flash, it is possible that some people can make some bad personal decisions AND the system can have serious issues worthy of complaint

I'm also a millenial, I'm also married, I'm also doing pretty well financially due to hitting the jackpot w/r/t my childhood home situation and being lucky enough to be good at a certain technical skill right when it came into greatest demand; I also made a series of posts earlier about how I still can't afford to buy property in the neighborhood I currently rent in because home prices in any area where there are tech jobs to be had are spiraling out of control. poo poo is hosed, yo.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

loquacius posted:

At this point the #1 most common job in like 36 out of 50 states is "truck driver"

Guess what's the #1 business use-case for self-driving cars???

Okay, so look at the overall picture with this:

Joe Driver is displaced from his position. I'm not saying that doesn't suck for Joe Driver, however he's free to look for employment elsewhere.

Joe Driver's job was automated by AutoDriver5000. AutoDriver5000 was created by New Driving Solutions, which employs X people.

This creates a new industry for competition which means Green Driving Solutions, DriversEX, etc., etc. all enter the game. These all create new positions to employ people on the production line, development, logistics, etc.

Past that even, the cost of transporting will go down which means the cost of goods should follow. This allows for more purchasing power in the economy affected by this development.

I'm not saying Joe Driver being displaced is a good thing, still. I'm saying what happens in the wake of one job being automated is a creation of new sectors of employment and better economies for people overall.

edit: Again, I'm not an economist nor am I pretending to be. I don't know precisely how wide automation will expand and just who will be affected overall. What we're talking about now is a level of automation that hasn't yet been experienced in history. However, speaking historically, automation has been a good thing overall.

We could be in for a serious change in how jobs are looked at in the coming 10-20 years. It could be bad, it could be okay, it could be great.

nickhimself fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 19, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah the better jobs just trickle down. A rising tide lifts all ships!
Solid and proven economic facts.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Automation is good if society has systems in place to support the people who lose their jobs to it, but that's not really the case. So in a practical sense, automation is bad for a lot of people.

Automation also results in a net loss of jobs, even though some are created in the process. Think 2000 truck drivers reduced to 500 engineers. And that smaller pool of jobs is also skilled labor that's out of reach for truck drivers.

I am also not an economist.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

nickhimself posted:

Okay, so look at the overall picture with this:

Joe Driver is displaced from his position. I'm not saying that doesn't suck for Joe Driver, however he's free to look for employment elsewhere.

Joe Driver's job was automated by AutoDriver5000. AutoDriver5000 was created by New Driving Solutions, which employs X people.

This creates a new industry for competition which means Green Driving Solutions, DriversEX, etc., etc. all enter the game. These all create new positions to employ people on the production line, development, logistics, etc.

Past that even, the cost of transporting will go down which means the cost of goods should follow. This allows for more purchasing power in the economy affected by this development.

I'm not saying Joe Driver being displaced is a good thing, still. I'm saying what happens in the wake of one job being automated is a creation of new sectors of employment and better economies for people overall.

(a) Fewer engineers and developers are required to develop self-driving cars than drivers are required to drive, meaning that even if as many competing self-driving car companies pop up as there currently are shipping companies, that's a net job loss
(b) Being an engineer or developer requires extensive education which the truck-driving class of people does not have, so even if there were as many jobs created as there were destroyed, Joe Driver couldn't get one of them, and probably neither can his kids

You're correct that this kind of thing has happened before. The most prominent example that comes to mind is when farm work was automated and displaced a whole lot of farmers, sharecroppers, and field hands who suddenly had to get manufacturing jobs. The problem is that manufacturing jobs sucked. They paid little, the hours were long, there were no benefits, they were dangerous, the list goes on and on. But the workers unionized and demanded reforms, and once they had fought for long enough they got them. Eventually, you could support a family on a manufacturing job's pay, albeit not in spectacular fashion. The jobs everybody could get didn't suck anymore, and life went on.

But now the manufacturing jobs are all gone too. People have largely switched over to service and retail work, which pay poo poo and have no benefits, and this time there isn't even a labor movement to fall back on because our culture discourages that sort of thing. You can still drive a truck, but again, the clock is ticking. In short, we need some more of those sweet sweet labor reforms, because wages are stagnant due to underemployment and prices are skyrocketing. If you pay a retail worker enough that he or she can support a family (with their spouse's help, even), they are no longer underemployed.

(efb, on the first part anyway)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I just bought a house that I can comfortably afford and I have a decent job. I am still capable of empathy wrt people less lucky than me and capitalism still sucks. Not everyone who thinks something is bad is a personal victim of the thing

Also economics is voodoo nonsense

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Oh, also there used to be a ton of demand for secretary work, but now everybody knows how to type themselves and has an Outlook or Google calendar, meaning that automation has claimed that entire profession

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

It's a good thing if you own the company and are making a larger profit because of it.

It's a good thing if you're an engineer and are making a larger salary because of it.

It's a poo poo thing if you were working on an assembly line and are now unemployed or working as a Walmart greeter because of it.

Whether or not that's a good thing overall seems debatable. It seems to me this good thing has resulted in ever increasing wage disparity and a large part of the middle class getting poo poo straight down the toilet.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

nickhimself posted:

This is basically what economists will say when they're being relatively optimistic, but this being the dismal science and all, they will also note that the technology-based replacement jobs are generally very different from those being eliminated; in particular, they have much higher educational requirements. In the long run, this is better for the economy since they'll be more highly paid, but in the short to medium run, this means that the job losses will be a major force towards inequality as huge swathes of lower-class jobs are eliminated, and replaced with middle or upper-middle class jobs Joe Trucker has very little hope of qualifying for.

And frankly at this point a lot of that increased middle class pay just flows into the pockets of landlords or mortgage bankers in San Francisco or whatever high-cost tech city that thinks building housing to meet demand would ruin everything forever. And also contributes to rising housing costs that displace poor neighborhoods, so even lower class folk who don't lose their job directly can still be screwed over by the shift.

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

nickhimself posted:

the cost of transporting will go down which means the cost of goods should follow. This allows for more purchasing power in the economy affected by this development.

No, see, what actually happens is that the money saved by the companies that use all of this automation just goes straight into their pockets. Their goods and services don't come down in price, they charge the same amount and just make more profit. Then they move as much as they can overseas to cheaper countries and continue to charge the same price for their goods and services and continue to make more profit.

And when I say "their pockets" I mean the executives. Most of the employees aren't going to see any of that. Least of all the consumers, lol.

Welcome to capitalism! "gently caress you, got mine!"

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

second guy is kind of right, representative democracy cannot possibly end capitalism. at best it gets you social democrats like Bernie who literally murder people like Rosa Luxemburg for being too leftist. there are probably deec alternatives to armed revolution but im okay with hanging the rich

What the gently caress I thought bern only ate riches :bernin:
was I deceived in all those threads months ago?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SniperWoreConverse posted:

What the gently caress I thought bern only ate riches :bernin:
was I deceived in all those threads months ago?
Liberalism has broken people so badly they think Sanders is far left lol

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU&hd=1

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

I thought it was universally understood that "trickle down economics" is basically paying a rich person to piss on you from their balcony and calling it rain.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Pearnicious posted:

I thought it was universally understood that "trickle down economics" is basically paying a rich person to piss on you from their balcony and calling it rain.

It works on a small scale and people have issues with realizing that in business and economics small scale examples almost never scale to large scale ones. If Steve is a former NFL player who owns a chain of car lots and his taxes go down enough and he's turning enough profit, he's probably not going to secret all that money away into an offshore investment firm, he's probably going to open another car lot in the next town of 45,000 people over and create more jobs etc. It doesn't work on the example of things like manufacturing because if you can already meet the demand of goods and already have people willingly paying you an amount of money for said good, why would you ever decrease your revenue by hiring more people or making more goods (requiring you to hire more people).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
in the olden days, they made the same arguments for what we call trickle-down, but they used a different metaphor

it involved horses, sparrows, and oats. Feed them horses enough and eventually some decent oats will come out the other end that the birds can pick at. Because they're so much smaller than the horse that's all they really need.