Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

A suburban Chicago high school gym teacher used that video to show his players how to make a textbook tackle.

Farnsworth ended up playing semi-pro football in his late 30s before deciding to go pitch in the Mexican leagues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbVKkvamuMk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Couple questions regarding HOF voting:

1) When is Edgar's last year? He made a massive jump this year so was it this year?
2) Is there a real chance Bonds and Clemens get in? They've been making pretty sizable gains the last two years. If they keep rising like this it seems pretty likely they both get in at some point.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

I like the guy on the Angels saying "that's the farthest hit ball I've ever seen in my life"

WE NEED A NEW BARRY BONDS. God he was awesome.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JimBowden_ESPN/status/822079943710572545

Reds just traded Dan Straily to the Marlins for probably a better return than they got for Chapman

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Reds just traded Dan Straily to the Marlins for probably a better return than they got for Chapman

Kind of makes sense, they sold low on Chapman for sure.

I am sad that Jags flamed out so hard this year, though. I always liked him.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Akileese posted:

Couple questions regarding HOF voting:

1) When is Edgar's last year? He made a massive jump this year so was it this year?
2) Is there a real chance Bonds and Clemens get in? They've been making pretty sizable gains the last two years. If they keep rising like this it seems pretty likely they both get in at some point.

1: the 2019 ballot, so he has two more chances
2: Yeah, they'll get in by 2020 I think (their last ballot would be 2022 if it gets that far). Maybe sooner, Selig getting in caused a lot of old school thinkers to shift their mindset, and once that happens others of their ilk tend to follow suit. Plus the purging generally eliminates more old school voters than new, so that helps them as well.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

This seems insanely stupid on paper for Miami, so congrats to the 2017 world champion Marlins

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
73 days until Opening Day, friends!!!!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

TheChaosPath posted:

The Hall of Fame is really dumb, you guys

I used to agree, but then Jeff Bagwell got in

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Your Taint posted:

73 days until Opening Day, friends!!!!

That sounds like a lot of days

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Does Todd Helton have a chance to get in? Playing at Coors Field really gave him some video game-esque numbers, and he had an insane 5-year peak, followed by seasons of decent 1st base playing.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

Intruder posted:

I used to agree, but then Jeff Bagwell got in

Agreed. I'm hoping I can get to Cooperstown for the ceremony.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

seiferguy posted:

Does Todd Helton have a chance to get in? Playing at Coors Field really gave him some video game-esque numbers, and he had an insane 5-year peak, followed by seasons of decent 1st base playing.

I hate to say it, because I love Todd Helton, but I don't think so. His peak really was completely nuts though.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

TheChaosPath posted:

That sounds like a lot of days

Yes, but every day it becomes fewer days.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

seiferguy posted:

I think his best chance is via the modern game committee or whatever the vets committee is called now. I don't think he was admired or feared as one of the game's best by his peers, though.

This is just Schoenfield's predictions, but he's pretty optimistic on a lot of guys like Edgar and Mussina getting in and even he doesn't predict Helton getting in.

http://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/77378/predicting-every-hall-of-fame-class-through-2045

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Your Taint posted:

Yes, but every day it becomes fewer days.

it actually becomes fewer day

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

IcePhoenix posted:

it actually becomes fewer day

I hate you

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
I fear Edgar won't make the jump in the next two years. He'll definitely take Raines' spot as the cause celebre, but I fear the DH thing is gonna keep him from pulling it off. (Screw the 10 years instead of 15 change.)

But the first time he's up for the modern players committee thing - in he goes.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Looking at who's going to be gaining ballot eligibility over the next few years, it's time to bump up my retirement contributions. Jfc.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Raiders have filed for relocation to Las Vegas, which clears the way for the A's to build their own baseball-only stadium at the O.Co. site unhindered.

This means that Roger Goodell has officially done more to help the A's stadium situation that Bud Selig and Rob Manfred combined.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Marlins traded for the best face of a man who just served up a mammoth homer:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Seems like Straily is traded every year

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I just realized this is the Dan Straily that could barely get a couple of spot starts for the Astros when their rotation was injured and bad :lol:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Despite being part of the Reds historically bad rotation Straily actually put together an alright year, 14-8 with a 3.76 ERA. That's solid fifth starter material. My gut also tells me that getting out of Great American would help a lot considering how hitter friendly it is. Then again he also posted a 4.88/5.02 FIP/xFIP uh, maybe not.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
He's a flyball pitcher so going into Marlins Park should keep some of those balls in the yard. On the other hand, he had a .242 BABIP last year so more of them are probably going to fall in for hits, and the Marlins' OF defense isn't very good so they're not going to help him out there much either.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

Despite being part of the Reds historically bad rotation Straily actually put together an alright year, 14-8 with a 3.76 ERA. That's solid fifth starter material. My gut also tells me that getting out of Great American would help a lot considering how hitter friendly it is. Then again he also posted a 4.88/5.02 FIP/xFIP uh, maybe not.

It seems like ignoring FIP/xFIP and overpaying for a guy with a decent/ok ERA is a very Marlins move.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Sounds like Trumbo is heading back to the O's, per Heyman. Not official yet though.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

bawfuls posted:

The Raiders have filed for relocation to Las Vegas, which clears the way for the A's to build their own baseball-only stadium at the O.Co. site unhindered.

This means that Roger Goodell has officially done more to help the A's stadium situation that Bud Selig and Rob Manfred combined.

That still might not be the site since they seem to want an "urban village" environment with bars and restaurants surrounding the park like in SF and SD. The only businesses around the coliseum/arena now are industrial and seedy motels. It would require a significant renovation of the area.

Your second sentence is spot on though.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Looks like the Trumbo deal (assuming it doesn't fall through at the last minute) will be somewhere around 3/40. That's...not awful? Hopefully he spends more time at DH than the outfield this year, although I can imagine that they'll probably run him out there against lefties to get Seth Smith out.

E: Jeff Passan says 3/37.

Artix fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 20, 2017

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

That's a pretty great price for Trumbo. Good deal for the O's.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

What was he asking for again?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

market for beefy sluggers really was nowhere near what people were expecting, eh?

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Berzerker posted:

market for beefy sluggers really was nowhere near what people were expecting, eh?

JD Martinez is still a Tiger so nope :(

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Has Napoli signed anywhere yet? Even though Edwin is a step up, I loved him on the Indians and I want to see him get paid by somebody.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

The Berzerker posted:

Yeah no kidding. Chris Carter is still floating out there too and doesn't seem to have a lot of interest.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Did Alvarez re-sign with the Orioles or does Trumbo now factor as an everyday DH? If so, who moves into RF?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Poque posted:

Did Alvarez re-sign with the Orioles or does Trumbo now factor as an everyday DH? If so, who moves into RF?

Outfield is expected to be a Kim/Rickard platoon, Jones, and Smith/Trumbo. Trumbo is useless out there, but he'll probably only be in against lefties, otherwise he'll be DHing.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Rand alPaul posted:

JD Martinez is still a Tiger so nope :(

As the shock of the bullpen self-destructing fades and the evidence that Bochy won't utilize Williamson properly mounts, the Giants are probably regretting this fact more and more.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Trumbo's outfield defense when he was in Seattle was so astonishingly terrible that I don't know why anyone acts like he's even a good secondary outfield option. When the O's came to Seattle last season I remember watching him screw up a few plays. A scarecrow with a glove would probably be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Home runs are the new inefficiency

• Locked thread