Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Thanks Eric.

quote:

A northern Ontario First Nation still suffering through the suicides of two young girls earlier this month says it alerted Health Canada to an uncovered suicide pact between youth this past summer but the federal department turned down the request for additional mental health help.

Wapekeka First Nation issued a statement Wednesday evening saying the community identified “several children” who were “secretly planning suicide” last summer and reached out to Health Canada for help in July.

“Our community plan was turned down by the government and now two are dead,” said Joshua Frogg, a spokesperson for the community, in the statement.

Frogg said in a brief interview with APTN National News that the proposed community plan submitted to Health Canada mentioned the suicide pact.

Health Canada spokesperson Eric Morrissette said that the department did not technically turn down the request for help, but responded months later indicating it would work with the First Nation to find money to fund an increase of mental health workers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
"Can we have some mental health workers asap to stop these children from killing themselves?"

"Yeah of course, just let us form a royal commission to put together a questionnaire asking Canadians what kind of mental health supporter they are first, so that we can see whether or not public opinion supports spending money on mental health."

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

This is Canada, we still think mental health is taboo and shouldnt be discussed because once it fades from the public eye it goes away. Right???

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Can some sjw come in and defend the support and development of communities in northern Ontario with no roads, economy or anything of value

Please I want to understand this great country of ours

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

namaste faggots posted:

Can some sjw come in and defend the support and development of communities in northern Ontario with no roads, economy or anything of value

Please I want to understand this great country of ours

If Ontario feels like divesting itself I heard Eeyou was interested.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Absolutely savage from Arlene Dickinson: http://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/kevin-o-leary-conservative-run-arlene-dickinson-opinion-1.3942349

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Furnaceface posted:

This is Canada, we still think mental health is taboo and shouldnt be discussed because once it fades from the public eye it goes away. Right???

mental health has never been less taboo to talk about than it is right now

I have a small issue with the framing of that story because it says the suicide pact was mentioned in the community health plan they submitted. there's probably some missing context here

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

M.McFly posted:

Just to add to this, there have instances where Police have been specifically invite to wear their uniforms in the march by Pride organizers. This happened just last year in Calgary. The only instances I can find where Police have been asked not to attend in uniform have all come from BLM and BLM-type groups, and all in the past year or so. This is why accusations of 'co-opting the march' are flying around.

I have a number of friends that march every year in Pride and they're universally disgusted with Toronto-Pride's actions. Yeah, I know how it sounds when I say "my gay friends say...", but they're really my only direction connection to Pride events. Unfortunately, I literally have no black friends in this city so I cant ask them for their opinions.

Some of the founders of BLM Toronto are LGBT and met through activism within that community (a big part of why BLM TO was chosen to lead the parade in the first place). The demands from BLM relate to that activism, and they stopped the parade because those demands had gone ignored and unfulfilled.

If anyone wants to claim that BLM was co-opting the march, they're going to have to argue with the original organizers of Toronto Pride: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/black-lives-matter-toronto-pride-kinsman-1.3665829

quote:

The Black Lives Matter contingent carried with it the spirit of Stonewall and the activist roots of Pride — not Pride as it is now, defined by corporations, by mainstream political parties, by the police. Pride is our biggest gathering, our greatest opportunity to stand against aggression.

Pride is based on a history of activism, including widespread support for the anti-apartheid movement in South Africa, support for AIDS activism, feminism, and other movements for social justice. We need to reject a narrow notion of LGBT rights that only speak to the interests of white, middle class, gay men, and forgets about the rest of us.

Pride parades have already been co-opted. Pride events have a choice. Include police, or include POCs, trans people, sex workers etc. One of those groups has power and privelege, the other does not. Which would you choose to include.

e: The idea that Pride is all inclusive is wrong if the police are allowed a presence. The police, as an organization, are currently harrasing, assaulting, and killing, people of colour, indigenous people, trans people and sex workers, all of whom are represented in the LGBT community. If you include police, you exclude these people. The police are in no danger of being forgotten or ignored if they are excluded from pride.

Duck Rodgers fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 19, 2017

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
It's only been seven months since the Toronto police publicly apologized for the violent bathhouse raids of Operation Soap.

Seven months. If I was queer I wouldn't want them marching with me either.

e: Oh look, here's the Toronto police continuing to harrass gay people just this past November https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/11/13/toronto-police-cracking-down-on-public-sex-in-etobicoke-park.html

Reince Penis fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 19, 2017

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If I can't gently caress random dudes in a park how will I be able to really express my sexuality.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Every report I've read about the park-sex-sting operation claims that numerous resident have complained to the police about feeling unsafe in the park because there are people exposing themselves or having sex. I understand the sensitivity of the issue and there's some merit to the idea of dropping all or most of the charges but I'd like to know what alternative course of action the police ought to take here? It seems like the the queer activist community is really up in arms about this and while I do have some sympathy for the people who are stuck in the middle of this it kind of comes off like the activists holding rallies over this essentially think that the local residents should just get over the fact people are using the park as a cruising zone?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
My hot take is that you shouldn't gently caress someone in a public park regardless of your sexuality

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

My hot take is that you shouldn't gently caress someone in a public park regardless of your sexuality

Please don't gently caress shame me

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Closeted men do that because of stigma. It's generally not the out and proud activist types doing that.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

If you can't tell the difference between "gay person beaten by police for crime of being gay" and "police cracking down on public sex in public park" you're a goddamned idiot

EDIT: PK For gently caress's sake did you even READ that article? Dude sitting naked in his car by a kiddie pool. Another dude exposing himself to minors. That has NOTHING to do with homosexuality, and everything to do with pedophilia.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
There are ways to stop people from having sex in the park without sending undercover police there to proposition people in sting operations.

And when 95% of the people charged/ticketed are men, and 95% of those men are gay, that's harassment.

e: I should add that it was a 6 week sting operation that resulted in ONE criminal charge and a bunch of tickets. That doesn't sound like a dangerous place to me.

Reince Penis fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 19, 2017

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
hahahahaha ok

if we lived in a world without grindr I might feel more sympathy towards gay dudes who just want to hook up

(the reason it's gay men is because women don't go to the park to gently caress dudes)

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

There are ways to stop people from having sex in the park without sending undercover police there to proposition people in sting operations.

And when 95% of the people charged/ticketed are men, and 95% of those men are gay, that's harassment.

e: I should add that it was a 6 week sting operation that resulted in ONE criminal charge and a bunch of tickets. That doesn't sound like a dangerous place to me.

quote:

The month-and-a-half-old police operation, aimed at “taking back” the park, has netted 84 charges against 65 individuals in just the last few weeks alone, said Const. Kevin Ward of 22 Division’s Community Response Unit.

Source your data please.

quote:

Toronto police say the bulk of the charges laid were for indecent exposure and engaging in sexual activity

Being naked in a public park is not legal. loving in a public park is not legal. Sexual orientation has no bearing on that.

MA-Horus fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 19, 2017

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

MA-Horus posted:

Source your data please.

No problem:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/project-marie-reaction-1.3858328

quote:

Toronto police officers filed 89 charges – only one of which is criminal in nature -- against 72 people during Project Marie, a six-week operation that used plainclothes officers to find people soliciting sexual encounters in Marie Curtis Park. Some 95 per cent of those charged are men.

quote:

On Friday, MPP Cheri DiNovo wrote an open letter to Ontario's Attorney General Yasir Naqvi asking for the charges to be thrown out.

"Toronto Police had been performing undercover sting operations in Marie Curtis Park trying to lure gay men and trans people to proposition them for sex," DiNovo's letter says.

"An undercover sting operation should be for serious crimes — not for intimidating and harassing gay men and trans people who are meeting each other in public spaces."

DiNovo, the Ontario NDP's critic for LGBTQ issues, also questioned the police's decision to deploy so many resources to an investigation that only resulted in bylaw infractions.

Coun. Kristyn Wong-Tam, who represents the ward containing Toronto's gay village, said she's had conversations with police officers who have questioned the tactics employed in the operation.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

So is your argument here that the police are letting the women and straight men go, then?

E: I think there are definitely better uses of police resources but I'm not convinced this is a bad use of them in itself.

Are the details of how the sting was carried out known at all? Were people being drawn to the park space that wouldn't be there at all normally?

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 19, 2017

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

If anything they are 'deterring' individuals from using the park as a physical backpage. I sometimes go there, anyhow stop defending people that want to have sex in a public area from being ticketed as such.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
You are guys are really square if you're defending a 6 week undercover operation to keep gay people from having sex in the bushes. Feeling sorry for your presumably vanilla sex lives.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

You are guys are really square if you're really defending a 6 week undercover operation to keep gay people from having sex in the bushes.

What the gently caress?

Don't have sex in a goddamn public park in broad daylight regardless if you are straight or gay! Why is this not processing for you?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

You are guys are really square if you're defending a 6 week undercover operation to keep gay people from having sex in the bushes. Feeling sorry for your presumably vanilla sex lives.

Oh ok you're just trolling.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

MA-Horus posted:

What the gently caress?

Don't have sex in a goddamn public park in broad daylight regardless if you are straight or gay! Why is this not processing for you?

Sorry where did they say this was happening in broad daylight? Hookups happen at night you nerd. Source your quotes.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
You are defending something that can have you put on the national sex offender registry :ohdear:

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Risky Bisquick posted:

You are defending something that can have you put on the national sex offender registry :ohdear:

remember when just having gay sex also made you a sex offender

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
These are the same cops that couldn't stop one wealthy crack addict from driving drunk through the streets of the city for how long, right? So glad they have their priorities in order

I mean yeah don't hook up in the bushes for various fairly obvious reasons but I'd like to see some real statistics on how useful the TPS actually are because pardon me if I'm a bit suspicious of the resources expended on this kind of poo poo

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Unfortunately if you're rich you can get away with a lot more.

I hope they still can't get away with having sex in a public park though.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

TheKingofSprings posted:

E: I think there are definitely better uses of police resources but I'm not convinced this is a bad use of them in itself.

Tighclops posted:

I mean yeah don't hook up in the bushes for various fairly obvious reasons but I'd like to see some real statistics on how useful the TPS actually are because pardon me if I'm a bit suspicious of the resources expended on this kind of poo poo

Is Toronto one of those places where police don't mind being sent out to deal with "by-law stuff", even though they have a functioning bylaw enforcement department and the chances of a bylaw officer getting decked for trying to write a ticket are pretty low?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

Is Toronto one of those places where police don't mind being sent out to deal with "by-law stuff", even though they have a functioning bylaw enforcement department and the chances of a bylaw officer getting decked for trying to write a ticket are pretty low?

Isn't public exposure and indecency a criminal offense and not something that falls under bylaws?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

There are honestly people defending dudes whipping they dicks out in front of minors in this thread

Christ if you wanna get your gently caress on in a public place just go to Rockfest or Wayhome or Boots 'n Hearts, gently caress to your heart's content behind someone's rented RV. Nobody's going to stop you.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

RBC posted:

remember when just having gay sex also made you a sex offender

It's a good thing we don't do that given we have just decriminalized sodomy.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Isn't public exposure and indecency a criminal offense and not something that falls under bylaws?

Yes, and it (exposure) can also result in being added to the national sex offender registry. What's so hard about decentralizing their backpage activities?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

My first boyfriend was a sex offender because I was 17 and he was 18.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Also reminder that this happened just a few years ago and Toronto Police only settled the complaint last June.

quote:

Toronto police and the province have settled a human rights complaint lodged by a transsexual man who was arrested, placed in a women’s jail and forced to put on women’s undergarments and a prison gown.

After a series of mediations, the parties agreed Thursday to set out terms to, within 18 months, develop and revise policies, procedures and training for “interaction with trans people,” from searches to detention, in conjunction with the Ontario Human Rights Commission and the trans community.

“I feel a mix of emotions. I’m pleased with the remedy we got. Everything was dealt with and there’s a willingness on their part to make changes and involve the community in doing so,” said the complainant, Boyd Kodak.

“I will never forget the humiliation. I am still suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder and depression. I am still paranoid when I hear sirens and see people in uniforms. But we felt we have moved mountains.”

In recent years, the rights of transgender people have been hotly debated. In Canada, complaints about mistreatment have included that of British visitor Avery Edison, who was “misgendered” while detained at the Maplehurst Correctional Complex for men. She, too, has filed a human rights complaint.

In the United States, communities, politicians and courts are battling over whether transgender people should be allowed to use bathrooms that match their gender identity rather than their biological gender.

“We are excited about what has transpired. We hope the systemic remedies will lead to reduction in such incidents and bring about the societal changes that are needed,” said Khizer Anwar, who represented Boyd with co-counsel Aditi Agnihotri. “The settlement couldn’t have come at a better time than Pride Month.”

According to Boyd’s complaint, York Region police came to his house in Gormley on Dec. 6, 2012, to execute a warrant issued by their counterparts in Toronto over harassment charges laid by his estranged business partner.

Kodak, a prominent transsexual activist in Toronto, was transferred to Toronto police and placed in the women’s holding area, even though he is identified as male in his personal documents, is long past surgery and continues to take hormones. Later, he was taken to the Vanier Centre for Women, a jail in Milton. His penile prosthesis was also confiscated.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cops should stay out of pride and sex should stay out of public parks.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

TheKingofSprings posted:

:doh:

But they were given bylaw tickets anyway. Usually that's the sort of thing you see after an arrest turns into chickenshit but you "want to charge the with something" the once. When it happens seventy-odd times.... it just sounds weird to me, is all.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

flakeloaf posted:

:doh:

But they were given bylaw tickets anyway. Usually that's the sort of thing you see after an arrest turns into chickenshit but you "want to charge the with something" the once. When it happens seventy-odd times.... it just sounds weird to me, is all.

Probably because they didn't want guys who were just hooking up to get criminal records. Give them a fine and a warning and send them on their way.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
First they came for people loving in public, and I didn't speak up because I'm okay with punishing people for loving in public.

And then nothing happened. Fin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M.McFly
Oct 23, 2008

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

C'mon dude....