Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Tendoru posted:

With great shame I need to ask for help once again.
Some saint in this forum helped me out years ago, but I cant find my post anymore, even after scanning through all 250-something pages.

It was an old anime/cartoon on VHS that we had.
The story is about a boy that in the beginning looses his father, who is a martial artist. His father is killed in front of him by an evil rival, who had a sidekick-woman that used needles to kill him.
The boy then needs to flee and hides in a cave. The next day he starts exploring/training and meets a monkey, that in the beginning is very sceptical of him.
I think that they become friends after he fights against a monster/big cat to save the monkey. THey also tried to eat some beets, but they were very bitter and they all had a laugh!

The story advances and the boy now is a teenager and soemhow ends up in a town, where he is imprisioned, because he breaks the rules of the oppressive regime there. A girl helps him and hands him food through the cell window.
Lo and behold the oppressive regime is lead by the evil rival that killed his father.

Unfortunately, we did only have two tapes and i dont know the rest of the story.
It was one of those good old animation movies that didnt shy away from showing blood and real consequences.

I don't know what specifically that is, but it definitely sounds like something that came over during the late 80s/early 90s Japanimation wave. Check out the Identify an anime thread in ADTRW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I only got the vaugest memory of this movie. A dudes in a house and he cant sleep and is always eating lots of pills to sleep. As far as he knows he isnt sleeping. Theres like dripping taps and some kind of big flooded basement where theres water dripping all the time. The whole movie theres water dripping in the background. I think hes trying to find out what happened to his wife or thinks someone murdered her and is trying to solve it but I think it turns out he did it when he thought he was awake or something.

American I think probably from the early 2000s

I watched it on australian pay-tv which is usually some B teir stuff.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Sounds like it could be The Machinist (2004) starring Christian Bale?

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

ynohtna posted:

Sounds like it could be The Machinist (2004) starring Christian Bale?

Similar kind of themes but iirc this had almost all the scenes in his house. I dont remember any areas except inside the house and this kind of flooded area beneath the house that was always associated with like non-reality.

I think maybe his child drowned? Theres also a scene now I remember where he goes into a bathroom when he hears running water and there is some creature in shower that looks like a baby. It was like he had drowned his kid and later maybe his wife and the constant dripping was kind of in that idea.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Isaac posted:

Similar kind of themes but iirc this had almost all the scenes in his house. I dont remember any areas except inside the house and this kind of flooded area beneath the house that was always associated with like non-reality.

I think maybe his child drowned? Theres also a scene now I remember where he goes into a bathroom when he hears running water and there is some creature in shower that looks like a baby. It was like he had drowned his kid and later maybe his wife and the constant dripping was kind of in that idea.

Dream House with Daniel Craig, maybe?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Isaac posted:

Ah, good luck with the search then. Nearly an infinite number of soggy dead kid films were released in the early 2000s!

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

LesterGroans posted:

Dream House with Daniel Craig, maybe?

Nah It was almost definitely like no-name people

E: Thanks

Maybe we'll never know

Isaac fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jan 16, 2017

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Isaac posted:

Maybe we'll never know

have a seat next to me...
ㅠㅠ

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Thanks to whoever answered my 'This is not a pay phone!" request. Oddly enough, I read what you had told me, promptly forgot about it, since I wasn't sure if it was right, and then I ended up watching Funny Farm a few days later, and it all came back to me. Yes, that was the movie.

Ok, another one. I think this is a show rather than a movie, but here goes;

Two scenes:

Scene 1: It's some sort of safari, and a bunch of people (I think) have already been captured in this room with a cage. One guy has to get to them, but in the room, there's this eye on the wall that, if he looks at it, will freeze him with terror/awe/something, and it forces them to walk backwards or something (I know it freezes them, but not in the respect that they can't move at all, it just pretty much makes them forget what they were doing and back away while not being able to look away from the eye). The reason I think this might be a show is because I remember seeing this whole part in full only once, but I recall seeing the 'OH NO, I'M LOOKING AT THE EYE AND I'M BACKING UP NOW!' shot many many times, almost in a montage (perhaps the opening of the show?)

Scene 2: A guy is downtown, and he has a picture, or a piece of paper. It's important, and it ends up being blown out of his hands and floats down a set of subway stairs. He goes down the stairs to get it, and when he turns around, the stairs are gone completely. I think at this point, he realizes he's been transported into a magical world, and has to go through a bunch of trials (the eye thing above might be part of that, I don't know) to get back into the real world. The only thing I remember about these trials (if there even were any) was that, in one bluish-purple misty room, there was a row of either knives or spoons, as tall as a grown person, all lined up, along a walkway.

I have had these memories from this show for as long as I can remember. It's starting to drive me nuts, as I keep wanting to know what they're from. I figure at least SOME goons amid the thousands that visit this site must have seen something like this when they were younger? They were children shows, that I know. For some reason, I want to think it's Captain Kangaroo, the colour version that played in the 80's. Didn't they have a 'story time' each episode?

I want to figure this out so badly that I will gladly buy platinum or archives or a snazzy custom title for whoever can solve even ONE of these mysteries for me.

So, I'm quoting myself from 2008 :psyduck: But I finally found 'Scene 2'. It's Famous Amy, the Bravest Girl in the World', which WAS a small segment from Captain Kangaroo.

And lo and behold, some glorious soul put it on Youtube, in case anyone else is interested in checking it out. Maybe this will awake some nostalgia in some of you. I guarantee that first scene I described above was another CK scene, but I don't think it's online. Whatever. I'd love to see it again, but at least I know it's from that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdxDWEu99w0

The segment I describe above is near the end, around the 38 minute mark.

The Easy Rider
Sep 21, 2006

Corn Dogs- Deep Fried Proof Of A Loving God
Someone once described a movie to me based on its plot, but it was basically about two guys who encounter a reanimated corpse (I think in a warehouse?) and then try in vain to destroy it, with basically nothing actually working, its body parts acting of their own volition when severed from the body, etc. I think it was from the late 1970s or 1980s, but I am not entirely sure.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

The Easy Rider posted:

Someone once described a movie to me based on its plot, but it was basically about two guys who encounter a reanimated corpse (I think in a warehouse?) and then try in vain to destroy it, with basically nothing actually working, its body parts acting of their own volition when severed from the body, etc. I think it was from the late 1970s or 1980s, but I am not entirely sure.

Sounds like the beginning of Return of the Living Dead?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
There's a TV show I saw in the late 80s or early 90s that I'm wondering about. The main character was a bush pilot in Africa or Australia I think. The one episode I can remember had him playing chess against an old man who's a friend of his throughout the episode, and at the end it's revealed that he hasn't figured out his moves himself, but has been relaying his friend's moves to some chess grandmaster by mail (or phone?), in order to give him a challenging opponent.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

moller posted:

Definitely.

The Easy Rider
Sep 21, 2006

Corn Dogs- Deep Fried Proof Of A Loving God

moller posted:

I actually don't think it is; I had already seen Return of the Living Dead, and the conversation was about a movie I hadn't seen before. The conversation made it sound as if the film was mostly about the attempt to kill this one undead thing, too, though I can't attest to that directly.

EDIT: I take that back; I just rewatched the scenes in question, and some of the details perfectly mesh up. I guess he must not have used the title when describing it?

Anyhow, thanks for the quick identification!

The Easy Rider fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 17, 2017

spectralEntity
Apr 28, 2013
I have a vague recollection of a single scene in a movie that I saw on TV as a kid which I remember scared the absolute poo poo out of me. It was a pretty long time ago, but I'm not sure exactly how long. Maybe 12 or 13 years, so the movie is most likely from late 90s or early 2000s.

All I remember is the scene takes place I think in a jungle or forest, possibly on an island. I believe there were gorillas that had gone mad, maybe were part of an experiment or something, and were running around killing people (scientists or explorers?) in various brutal, graphic ways. The scene in particular was of a guy getting chased down by one of the pissed off gorillas, I think through the forest. Eventually he gets cornered or the gorilla catches up to him and--here's the most vivid part--it literally plunges its giant fist into the guy's chest and straight-up rips his beating heart out. I believe the gorilla then proceeds to eat it right in front of him, blood everywhere. I remember child me watching this with horrified fascination.

Must've been some kind of sci-fi/horror B-movie? I honestly can't imagine there are many films with gorillas tearing people apart that would actually show that much instead of cutting away or something.

spectralEntity fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 19, 2017

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Maybe Congo?

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009

spectralEntity posted:

I have a vague recollection of a single scene in a movie that I saw on TV as a kid which I remember scared the absolute poo poo out of me. It was a pretty long time ago, but I'm not sure exactly how long. Maybe 12 or 13 years, so the movie is most likely from late 90s or early 2000s.

All I remember is the scene takes place I think in a jungle or forest, possibly on an island. I believe there were gorillas that had gone mad, maybe were part of an experiment or something, and were running around killing people (scientists or explorers?) in various brutal, graphic ways. The scene in particular was of a guy getting chased down by one of the pissed off gorillas, I think through the forest. Eventually he gets cornered or the gorilla catches up to him and--here's the most vivid part--it literally plunges its giant fist into the guy's chest and straight-up rips his beating heart out. I believe the gorilla then proceeds to eat it right in front of him, blood everywhere. I remember child me watching this with horrified fascination.

Must've been some kind of sci-fi/horror B-movie? I honestly can't imagine there are many films with gorillas tearing people apart that would actually show that much instead of cutting away or something.

Sounds like Congo.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

That sounds way too violent for Congo, which was PG-13.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Spatulater bro! posted:

That sounds way too violent for Congo, which was PG-13.

I don't think there's an upper limit on violence for a PG-13 rating. Just nudity and profanity.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Phanatic posted:

I don't think there's an upper limit on violence for a PG-13 rating. Just nudity and profanity.

Of course there is. Not that it's a hard and fast non-arbitrary upper limit, but there most definitely is one.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
In the Shadow of Kilimanjaro?

You can check it out here: http://www.chillertv.com/friday13/13-amazing-horror-movies-starring-monkeys

Thejaff
Jun 14, 2002
Bines au lard
Really long shot, it's something I saw around 35 years ago on TV, so probably mid to late 70's. It's possible that it's a mini-serie because I vaguely remember watching this with my parents over a few nights but I could be wrong. I also remember not watching most of it 'cause little me was scared.

The only scene I remember was nuns fleeing from their monastery or convent and being massacred, being picked off by arrows as they ran away.

It is not Hawk the Slayer

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Phanatic posted:

There's an upper limit depending on the weaponry. The Lord of the Rings films feature multiple decapitations and even a shot of intestines getting ripped from a corpse, and that's PG-13. Meanwhile the Matrix has bloodless gunfights, and it got an R.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Those were monsters with black blood, that gives you a lot of leeway.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

X-Ray Pecs posted:

There's an upper limit depending on the weaponry. The Lord of the Rings films feature multiple decapitations and even a shot of intestines getting ripped from a corpse, and that's PG-13. Meanwhile the Matrix has bloodless gunfights, and it got an R.

They're not really bloodless but the real culprit behind the rating is the language. At the time you couldn't use "poo poo" more than a few times and they used it dozens of times.

Edit: Of course now it's unlimited use of poo poo in primetime television...

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Matrix got an R rating because people got kicked in the head, and that was an automatic R back in the '90s.. Really. Seriously.

Starblind
Apr 4, 2007

Encomium in colour

Spatulater bro! posted:

Of course there is. Not that it's a hard and fast non-arbitrary upper limit, but there most definitely is one.

True, but apparently heart-ripping isn't enough to get an R. Remember, there was a fairly graphic heart-ripping scene in Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom, and that was PG.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Starblind posted:

True, but apparently heart-ripping isn't enough to get an R. Remember, there was a fairly graphic heart-ripping scene in Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom, and that was PG.

In fairness, people flipped the gently caress out about that, thus causing the creation of the PG13 rating.

But in more fairness, I suppose that still suggests heart removal is pg13 material, not R.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I once caught a scene of some sword-and-sandal type movie, set in Ancient Rome I think. It was set in a gladiator arena where a really beefy dude (probably one of the heroes) has to fight a bull. He proceeds to grab it by the neck and strangle it, which was really cool. Anyone remember something like that?

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I once caught a scene of some sword-and-sandal type movie, set in Ancient Rome I think. It was set in a gladiator arena where a really beefy dude (probably one of the heroes) has to fight a bull. He proceeds to grab it by the neck and strangle it, which was really cool. Anyone remember something like that?
Maybe this, start watching at 38:00--
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on2oY44h7R0

EDIT: Actually no I bet it's this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr_3sXh8yfg

Sir Nose fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 22, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Yeah, I think this was it. Thanks!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I vaguely remember some teen drama movie from the 90s that generated a fair buzz at the time, but that nobody still talks about today*. Something about a mean girl getting her boyfriend to seduce a shy girl. I want to say there was a scene involving Long Island Iced Tea.

*I guess it's possible that it's still talked about today, but I don't realize it's the same one. I've completely forgotten the title.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I vaguely remember some teen drama movie from the 90s that generated a fair buzz at the time, but that nobody still talks about today*. Something about a mean girl getting her boyfriend to seduce a shy girl. I want to say there was a scene involving Long Island Iced Tea.

*I guess it's possible that it's still talked about today, but I don't realize it's the same one. I've completely forgotten the title.

Cruel Intentions

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's it. Knew it had to be an easy one, thanks!

I thought I had the title on the tip of my tongue, but as usual it was something entirely different. To the point where I'm now wondering if I wasn't thinking of a different movie altogether.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
I watched a movie as a kid in, I believe, 1986. At a friend's house on VHS. I remember it taking place in a sort of post apocalypse wasteland, and I remember some characters were on roller skates. I don't think it was Solarbabies, which I do remember seeing around that time, because I seem to remember the movie in question being so weird as to be incomprehensible. I also seem to recall a creepy little puppet character who maybe lived in a hollowed out tube TV?

Am I a crazy person?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Rollerblade

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Holy poo poo, Roller Blade is it!

Watching the trailer and it's pretty great. Is it worth watching again? I hated it as a little kid, which is surprising since the trailer is Titty City.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Dragonshirt posted:

Holy poo poo, Roller Blade is it!

Watching the trailer and it's pretty great. Is it worth watching again? I hated it as a little kid, which is surprising since the trailer is Titty City.

I dunno, looks pretty great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6IqpbtJd3s

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I'm trying to remember an Italian film.

We meet a family of father, mother, and teenage son and daughter. The son accidentally dies (motorbike or scuba accident, something like that). The family grieves hard. There's one scene where the father notices his mug was once cracked and glued back together, and he sets off ranting to his wife with something like, "that's what everything in this house is--broken and glued back together and we think it's fine but it's NOT fine." IIRC, a lot of the exterior shots showed coastlines and hills. (Italy, yah yah).
Eventually the family finds out the son had a girlfriend (in far north Italy, or maybe France) so the family gets in their car and drives to meet her. The meeting helps them heal, and the film ends slightly after that meeting.

I saw this film sometime between 2001-03 in Manhattan. It seemed modern, so it was probably made during those years, maybe late 90s. It was subtitled, there were no dubs.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

ProperCoochie posted:

I'm trying to remember an Italian film.

We meet a family of father, mother, and teenage son and daughter. The son accidentally dies (motorbike or scuba accident, something like that). The family grieves hard. There's one scene where the father notices his mug was once cracked and glued back together, and he sets off ranting to his wife with something like, "that's what everything in this house is--broken and glued back together and we think it's fine but it's NOT fine." IIRC, a lot of the exterior shots showed coastlines and hills. (Italy, yah yah).
Eventually the family finds out the son had a girlfriend (in far north Italy, or maybe France) so the family gets in their car and drives to meet her. The meeting helps them heal, and the film ends slightly after that meeting.

I saw this film sometime between 2001-03 in Manhattan. It seemed modern, so it was probably made during those years, maybe late 90s. It was subtitled, there were no dubs.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

La stanza del figlio / The Son's Room by Nanni Moretti