Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Nettles Coterie posted:

It really sucks having roommates/friends who don't have cars.

They're never going to be motivated to get their own cars if you constantly let them borrow yours. At least charge them money, like someone said.

A former friend of mine was never motivated to fix her car because I would take her everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
My girlfriend says "dehydrated" when she really means "thirsty". To hear her tell it, every hike is a brush with death. I think I finally convinced her to stop the madness by repeatedly responding with "if you're dehydrated, we should probably stop hiking/biking/whatever and go see a doctor".

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
Mild dehydration is still dehydration, and the symptom is that you're thirsty -- the term does not SOLELY refer to levels of dehydration which are physically dangerous and require a doctor's attention, and by no means does being dehydrated require being on the brink of death or whatever. Your girlfriend's usage is perfectly legitimate, you just find it annoying, which is also legitimate but not the same issue as you think it is

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I know some people that insist on hydrating so often that their pee is always clear. Why is that a thing. I also know medical doctors that do juice cleanses. Like wtf, if you're a doctor tell me what "toxins" you are clearing out by starving yourself.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

InediblePenguin posted:

Mild dehydration is still dehydration, and the symptom is that you're thirsty -- the term does not SOLELY refer to levels of dehydration which are physically dangerous and require a doctor's attention, and by no means does being dehydrated require being on the brink of death or whatever. Your girlfriend's usage is perfectly legitimate, you just find it annoying, which is also legitimate but not the same issue as you think it is

It's not even mild dehydration. She simply has wrong ideas about how much water a person should drink when exercising.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mu Zeta posted:

I know some people that insist on hydrating so often that their pee is always clear. Why is that a thing.

Because you feel better when you're properly hydrated?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You could just drink water when you're thirsty and not carry around a huge water bottle in a baby sling and chug it every 5 minutes.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

You could just drink water when you're thirsty and not carry around a huge water bottle in a baby sling and chug it every 5 minutes.

OK well that's a completely different thing to what you said originally. :shrug:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Just piss directly into your own mouth like I do

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Sorry wrong thread

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

Just piss directly into your own mouth like I do

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tiggum posted:

OK well that's a completely different thing to what you said originally. :shrug:

How else do you achieve clear piss? You need to drink a lot of water for that.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

How else do you achieve clear piss?

By drinking tap-water out of a glass whenever I'm thirsty.

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

People who were sheltered growing up and managed to stay that way through their 20s-30s.

Maybe I'm just jealous, but like, I've had a friend who says the worst thing that ever happened to her was finding her dad's old Playboys, another who didn't talk to her mom for months when she found out she'd ever smoked pot, even once, before she was born, etc... I've known two people who are horrified at the idea of drinking in their late 20s. The other day my one friend was horrified to find out you have to share showers in college dorms; she's 36 and has never lived anywhere but with her parents.

Having seen an even moderate amount of some poo poo at this point in my life, we can't relate at all. It's annoying and I don't know how to feel.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Were these people home schooled and/or raised in a cult?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tiggum posted:

By drinking tap-water out of a glass whenever I'm thirsty.

I want to see a cup of your piss.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I want to see a cup of your piss.

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

doverhog posted:

Were these people home schooled and/or raised in a cult?

None of the ones I wrote about are even particularly religious! Just raised by overbearing, boring parents as far as I can tell. I was sheltered too but I made sure to make up for it after I was 18. Worldliness is a positive quality, I think.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I know some people who are obsessed with hydration and uhhh yeah if you are so thirsty that you have to chug gallons of water every day and can't even sleep for a few hours without having to wake up and drink from glasses of water you keep next to the bed you'd think that would be an indicator of a medical problem you should see a doctor about in of itself but NOPE GOTTA STAY HYDRATED.

Edit: Instead of slings they all carry around comically large insulated mugs and for whatever reason are SUPER particular about what temperature the water is.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! has a new favorite as of 07:55 on Jan 20, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I know some people who are obsessed with hydration and uhhh yeah if you are so thirsty that you have to chug gallons of water every day and can't even sleep for a few hours without having to wake up and drink from glasses of water you keep next to the bed you'd think that would be an indicator of a medical problem you should see a doctor about in of itself but NOPE GOTTA STAY HYDRATED.

Or they're waking up constantly because they have to pee all the time and they notice their mouth is kind of dry so they drink a bunch of water because they're idiots.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Edit: Instead of slings they all carry around comically large insulated mugs and for whatever reason are SUPER particular about what temperature the water is.

I complained a while ago about how those Yeti mugs that are like 40oz are all the rage now. What the gently caress why do you need that much of any liquid.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I think that they dump everything out and refill after drinking less than 12 oz of it but the extra half gallon helps it stay in the exact temperature range they need for a few minutes longer.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The lime has got to be hell on your urethra.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

My Lovely Horse posted:

The lime has got to be hell on your urethra.

If not for the burning, for the sheer size of that thing

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Are you guys seriously arguing about how much water you should drink and the resulting color of your piss? There's even a guy saying being hydrated is bad? lmao

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I drink a metric fuckton of water and tea because my medication will straight up murder my kidneys and liver if I don't. As a result I pee so much. Like a champion. I could win a piss medal.

My pet peeve is people telling me to drink more water to cute my genetic issues like that's gonna help. I already am a piss monster, Brenda. doing yoga and drinking juice cleanse or whatever the gently caress is not gonna help me.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I was at my dad's house this morning, where I grew up, and I instantly had a pet peeve rebirth itself.

The stairs to the basement aren't padded with carpet, and aren't solid underneath. This means there's absolutely nothing to dampen the sound of walking down them, especially with shoes on. Seriously, you could use the home of my birth as a foley source for Frankenstein's Monster; unless you're actively walking gently, you will make a lot of noise.

So what does my dad (and my mom used to) do when I'm walking on those stairs, with shoes on? Try to have a conversation. He'll start talking at the precise minute I start stepping downstairs, I'll have to stop myself, hear the last few words of what he said, make more noise going back up the stairs, to find that he's already completed what he was saying, and despite him living in this house for the better part of three decades, has yet to understand that you can't hear someone when you're walking down the stairs.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
When people fall asleep when I try to show them "The Graduate." Ok it's kind of a weird choice if you compare it to TODAYS BLOCKBUSTER WITH 10000000 explosions!!!! But come on it's not like I'm showing you some weird rear end art school movie (ok you can argue about this), but this has dreamy young Dustin Hoffman in it! And I told you specifically what type of movie it was! And you said, "yeah let's watch this"!

I already complained how I don't like movies but this is one of two movies I like; be glad I'm not showing you Citizen Kane and commenting on f-stops or camera angles!

I'm EXTREMELY up front about this before I put the drat thing on.

Ghhhhhh :argh:

E: and I've never put this on for anybody so count your blessings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V14PfDDwxlE

or the corresponding The Brain monologue

Or The Critic one.

The Critic is actually a really good show, you should watch it.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 07:45 on Jan 21, 2017

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
That's a good movie but if you like only 2 movies, expand your mind. Might I recommend Room, the movie Brie Larson won her Oscar for before being cast as Captain Marvel. It's incredible.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Spotify has multiple ads that say the word "dog" and have whining dog noises. It's like the Alexa thing, but instead of buying you a dollhouse it pisses off your pets.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

MisterBibs posted:

So what does my dad (and my mom used to) do when I'm walking on those stairs, with shoes on? Try to have a conversation. He'll start talking at the precise minute I start stepping downstairs, I'll have to stop myself, hear the last few words of what he said, make more noise going back up the stairs, to find that he's already completed what he was saying, and despite him living in this house for the better part of three decades, has yet to understand that you can't hear someone when you're walking down the stairs.

Sounds similar to eating dinner with friends or family, but the instant you cram a bunch of food into your gaping maw making you look like a chipmunk with nuts in its mouth, someone asks you a question.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

You Are A Elf posted:

Sounds similar to eating dinner with friends or family, but the instant you cram a bunch of food into your gaping maw making you look like a chipmunk with nuts in its mouth, someone asks you a question.

I hate this because people never pick up on why you are taking so long to respond and start saying the question again. Even if you give the "one second/minute" gesture people still can't comprehend that you don't want to talk with your mouth full of food. Just wait 5 seconds.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

You Are A Elf posted:

I loving hate this. My wife does this all the time. It's like drat! I'm starving here. I don't hurry up, I chew slower and stare the whole time. :stare: Like this, but with chewing.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
In any piano cover of a sufficiently popular song on Youtube, there's always someone trying to call it out as fake.
'Look at his hands, the sound doesn't sync up with the video!!!'
Even if the video and audio do get desynced, how is it not immediately obvious whether the player's fingers are hitting the notes? If they're a skilled enough piano player to make it look like they're playing the right notes, why wouldn't they just play the song?
Has there ever even been a recorded incident of someone faking playing a song and trying to pass it off as a cover? What would they stand to gain from it?

I should know better than to ever look at Youtube comments.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I can't find the "PYF Bad Marketing" thread so I'll just post this here. I just saw a Verizon commercial that was basically "Actually, unlimited data is bad because 2 out of 3 people don't even use 5GB a month! Unlimited is more expensive too! Have 5GB of data for $55."

Why do marketers just outright lie? My unlimited plan with Sprint is $50 a month. Like are people really so dumb that they believe everything told to them by marketing? Don't know why this is touching a nerve right now but :fuckoff: Verizon

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

bradzilla posted:

Like are people really so dumb that they believe everything told to them by marketing?

Yes.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Slap a jap!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yD_c1pnQ6k

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

bradzilla posted:

Why do marketers just outright lie? My unlimited plan with Sprint is $50 a month. Like are people really so dumb that they believe everything told to them by marketing? Don't know why this is touching a nerve right now but :fuckoff: Verizon

Ex Verizon customer support here. Yes, they think you're that stupid. When I was working there I remember two things we were trained on:

AT&T had just launched the Rollover program. We were instructed to outright call the program a scam because "If you have rollover minutes you're being overcharged."

Verizon changed its plans like 3 times over 2 years on top of acquiring some small carriers like Alltell. If you were on a legacy plan I was instructed to do everything in my power to get you to upgrade off the old unlimited plan to one of the new, more expensive tier plans.

Relevant pet peeve: people that poo poo on service workers. Asking for a supervisor or hanging up because we asked for your confirmation info tanks our pay stats. Your tantrum probably just cost a low-wage worker money.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

bradzilla posted:

I can't find the "PYF Bad Marketing" thread so I'll just post this here. I just saw a Verizon commercial that was basically "Actually, unlimited data is bad because 2 out of 3 people don't even use 5GB a month! Unlimited is more expensive too! Have 5GB of data for $55."

Is this the one you were looking for?

They lie for the same reason most people lie--personal gain. We convince them the other guy sucks, they shop with us, we get paid. That's it.

I worked at Gamestop back when the Wii first came out and the store offered an "extended warranty plan." We were told in so many words that our jobs depended on us getting as many customers to buy one with his or her Wii as possible.

Bored, one day, I read the fine print. The Gamestop warranty ran concurrent with Nintendo's manufacturer warrranty and they both ended at the same time. We were required to sell customers something they didn't need and in fact couldn't use, as if you tried to call the 800 number to report a problem with your Wii, Gamestop instructed you to call Nintendo instead. I asked my manager about it and the only thing he said was "sell them anyway, and don't tell the customers that."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

The company that used to be my rep payee was saving my money from my disability and making it hard to get out anything extra. Now that I've switched rep payees, they've sent my savings to Social Security so they can transfer it to my new one.

I called yesterday to find out how much I had had in savings, thinking it was maybe 75 bucks.

It was like $3,500.

I have to wait at least a month to even hear what's going on with the money. Why couldn't they cut me a check. I really could have used that money recently. Now I am getting my disability again, but I haven't had anything extra in a long time.

e: I might owe Social Security like $1500 because you cannot save more than $2000.

timefly has a new favorite as of 02:00 on Jan 25, 2017