Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Density would mean floating or being really heavy and sinking, so no.

But :stare: Mina's horns move. Are they antenna?

She's an ant person, so yes they're antenna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Slime posted:

She's an ant person, so yes they're antenna.

About to not have time for anything, but does anyone have her character bio page? I kinda remember them being referred to as "horns", and if this is a dumb situation where the japanese word for antenna is horn, I'll be :smith:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
But isn't she an alien queen? Best hero name that is.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Not sure what the point of this all is but hey, a guy with a really cheaty power that seems to be very difficult to control which is something of a parallel to Deku actually. This dude is a third year and he almost falls out of his clothes using it still.

Subduing half the class in 5 seconds is kinda ridiculous IMO.

And again: I wonder where we're going with this. It's nice to see upperclassmen finally but I don't think we needed another "Oh, the world is a big place!" reminder???

I mean the kids all had near brushes with death in the last villain attack (some humiliatingly so- with parts of the class instantly being taken out), and their 2 strongest members failed to secure their provisional licenses while the rest had to struggle mightily to get them. I think they kinda loving understand there's people who are stronger and more experienced than them without needing to get teabagged by a third-year dude whose quirk they didn't even know (which isn't anything like the "real world" in BnHA where everyone knows the quirks of working heroes).

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 19, 2017

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

It's literally because the dude is the successor to All Might that the principal was referring to.

Also I mean it's a nice reminder that the first years aren't the Top poo poo at even just UA, let alone other academies.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

same

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Fabricated posted:

Not sure what the point of this all is but hey, a guy with a really cheaty power that seems to be very difficult to control which is something of a parallel to Deku actually. This dude is a third year and he almost falls out of his clothes using it still.

And again: I wonder where we're going with this. It's nice to see upperclassmen finally but I don't think we needed another "Oh, the world is a big place!" reminder???

I mean the kids all had near brushes with death in the last villain attack (some humiliatingly so- with parts of the class instantly being taken out), and their 2 strongest members failed to secure their provisional licenses while the rest had to struggle mightily to get them. I think they kinda loving understand there's people who are stronger and more experienced than them without needing to get teabagged by a third-year dude whose quirk they didn't even know (which isn't anything like the "real world" in BnHA where everyone knows the quirks of working heroes).

Yeah, but the whole point of superhero fights is that in the real world it's someone like Stain where no one knows their power and it's only used to supplement their innate skill anyway. Plus I wouldn't be surprised if Tintin-sempai's power has enough drawbacks or constraints that it's only busted because of his complete mastery, like Best Jeanist.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Fabricated posted:

I took that as five minutes but I guess this is shounen manga.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
Fighting among the heroes is all cool and good, but I can't wait until they introduce a villain that's an actual threat.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Peel posted:

5 minutes in shounen would be like 20 episodes.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Peel posted:

So did I, unless his quirk involves him moving a super speed through the ground or w/e he phases through

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Dude is Obito Uchiha.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Fabricated posted:

I wonder where we're going with this. It's nice to see upperclassmen finally but I don't think we needed another "Oh, the world is a big place!" reminder???

This fight is a demonstration of the value of the hero internships. Deku remembers that at the previous year’s Sports Festival, these three were completely unremarkable. Yet one year later, with the internships under their belt, they are the top three students in U.A. Not only that, Mirio Togata is now the closest to becoming the No. 1 hero, beyond even Endeavor. And he reached this distinction not by possessing a powerful quirk, but through his technique developed during his internship under a “certain hero”. There's some very important plot being set up here.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I feel like TinTin is going to be a baddy.

Maybe not a villain, but not an upstanding hero either. There has to be a reason why All Might rejected him. Assuming he was the guy obvs.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Vault Boy is Santana as gently caress

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Vengarr posted:

Maybe not a villain, but not an upstanding hero either. There has to be a reason why All Might rejected him. Assuming he was the guy obvs.

I don't think he was so much rejected as All Might decided on Deku before he could really consider the other candidates.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Vengarr posted:

Terper posted:

I don't think All Might's ever met the dude, he was just the principal's highest-rated candidate for the position, but then All Might passed on his powers before he started at U.A.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
i kinda wanted everyone to answer the upperclassman lady's questions

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Bakugou didn't get to fight the guy because it'll be a twist later that he just completely obliterates him after studying his movement for half a second

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Bakugou didn't get to fight the guy because it'll be a twist later that he just completely obliterates him after studying his movement for half a second

Exploding the ground before he can slip through it. Truly a tactical genius on par with Yang Wenli

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Plutonis posted:

Exploding the ground before he can slip through it. Truly a tactical genius on par with Yang Wenli

He'll just set off explosions all around him in the second he slips from intangible to tangible.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

This guy seems like a hard counter to Best Jeanist too, not that it matters anymore.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Law Cheetah posted:

i kinda wanted everyone to answer the upperclassman lady's questions

Yeah me too what's up with the mask (at least it's a mask I thought he just didn't have a mouth or nose on his face).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah I am assuming he has to be solid to attack. And according to Mopey his quirk is not as good as he makes it seem, he is just really good at using it.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Sauske glares at class A, using his illusions to transform them into potatoes. Amazing technique.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I interpreted the line about his quirk as "it might look like his quirk is OP and carrying him but he's actually super talented too," not "he makes due with a mediocre quirk by being super talented". Basically like Bakugou where he both won the quirk lottery and is brilliant in combat to boot.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Tin Tin is freaking incredible. Also that's a lot of MANservice this chapter.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Speaking of One Piece, the Long haired Senior's curiosity of the first year's appearances certainly reminded me of Luffy.

It's also probably no coincidence Bakugou was absent from this fight. After all the turmoil he was feeling after Deku's fight, getting instantly punked by TinTin would have likely been an even bigger blow to his ego.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Countblanc posted:

I interpreted the line about his quirk as "it might look like his quirk is OP and carrying him but he's actually super talented too," not "he makes due with a mediocre quirk by being super talented". Basically like Bakugou where he both won the quirk lottery and is brilliant in combat to boot.

To be precise, the relevant lines regarding Mirio Togata's abilities are:

Kirishima: "He teleported! So it's more than just slipping through things?! Just how strong is this dude's quirk?!"
Amajiki: Mirio's quirk is not something that should be envied... far from it. What you should really be jealous of is his incredible technique, you first year brats. After being scouted, he completely devoted himself to his internship under a certain hero, and Mirio was carefully cultivated...!

Unlike Bakugou or Todoroki, whose quirks were naturally powerful from the start, it seems Togata's quirk took a great deal of training to be effectively exploited.

Also of interest is something Hadou said after Amajiki's warning that this fight might crush the class's will:

Hadou: "A while back there was a kid who got so frustrated, he completely gave up on becoming a hero, and caused all sorts of problems! Did'ja know?! That Togata, he really had it rough! So you really gotta think things through properly or it will only be hard on you!"

It's a little hard to figure out exactly what she's saying Togata's role in this incident was, but it sounds like something that could be relevant to why All Might did not go with Togata as his successor.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

Also of interest is something Hadou said after Amajiki's warning that this fight might crush the class's will:

Hadou: "A while back there was a kid who got so frustrated, he completely gave up on becoming a hero, and caused all sorts of problems! Did'ja know?! That Togata, he really had it rough! So you really gotta think things through properly or it will only be hard on you!"

It's a little hard to figure out exactly what she's saying Togata's role in this incident was, but it sounds like something that could be relevant to why All Might did not go with Togata as his successor.

Maybe Mustard from school trip raid. He was remarked as being as old or younger then the first years. And a lot of his lines made it sound as he was very bitter towards those who were able to become heroes. I guessed that maybe he was unable to join the hero program due to his quirk being too dangerous.

Maybe is Togata's younger brother or something. We never did get a good look at his face. Though I doubt I am correct.

Also it All Might was inspired by Deku and gave him the quirk before going to the school. All Might likely never met Togata.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I assume there's some downside to his quirk from the line sasuke says about it not being something you should envy

like how kitty pride from the xmen could accidentally phase through the earth and just keep going or something

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Even after years of training he still almost loses all his cloths when his power activates. Most people aren't envious about accidentally showing off their junk to everyone.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Gyges posted:

Even after years of training he still almost loses all his cloths when his power activates. Most people aren't envious about accidentally showing off their junk to everyone.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think the deal with Togata's quirk might be that he has to very specifically and precisely control which part of his body phases out and for how long (because if he just phased everything out he would fall out of his clothes or fall through the ground or whatever). There also may be some time limit on having a part phased out. This would be very powerful if controlled well, but also super difficult to control; you would have to get the timing right precisely when someone attacks and constantly be aware of everything around you.

My hypothesis about the scars is that he maybe did some sort of exercise that involved either being attacked or having something throw at him and having to avoid it by correctly phasing out, and that he got scarred up a bunch in the process.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Mangastream generally are poo poo so we'll have to wait for the next chapter or Viz official translations but I thought the "kid that got frustrated" is in fact, Togata.

Like, him clowning everyone is a setup for showing that these three top-tier students weren't hot poo poo going into their third year and that their internships really helped THAT much.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Fabricated posted:

Like, him clowning everyone is a setup for showing that these three top-tier students weren't hot poo poo going into their third year and that their internships really helped THAT much.

It's not like that was subtle or anything, though? Deku explicitly said that these guys were not at all hot poo poo and he only recognised and remembered them from how unimpressive they were.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The idea that the internships would make such a dramatic difference is a little weird; like Class A has already experienced a number of "real-world" things, and as for learning the basics of fighting (etc) isn't that what school is for? Like, the only additional experience a hero internship could seemingly give is direct conflict with villains, but most villains are kinda scrub-tier and could already be defeated by Class A (as shown in the USJ arc).

I think I'm overthinking things.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
In an internship, they'd probably get a lot more one on one coaching from someone who might have a quirk that's similar in how it can be used as opposed to the more general training a teacher can offer a whole class at once. Think Deku's training with Gran Torino, but long term.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think the fact that these three are supposed to be so good that they're not only good among UA students, but also good even among top pro heroes, helps make things more convincing. Given the nature of quirks, it isn't that inconceivable that someone could vault to the top while still in high school with a combination of a strong quirk and good work ethic*. If Togata is supposed to literally be as good as a top 10 pro hero, it isn't that strange that he could clown the entire class like that.

*See - lots of real-life athletes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Slime posted:

In an internship, they'd probably get a lot more one on one coaching from someone who might have a quirk that's similar in how it can be used as opposed to the more general training a teacher can offer a whole class at once. Think Deku's training with Gran Torino, but long term.

Or Ochako, who went from having little hand-to-hand combat skills to being able to disarm a murderous chick with a knife.