Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What I always kind of licked about Akame Ga Kill is the way they handle the Emperor and the Grand Vizier or whatever that fucker was called. Instead of the Emperor being some puppet the Vizier seems to generally value the kid and is doing his best to raise him as his view of a proper ruler. Of course the rear end in a top hat was teaching him how to be a horribly corrupt ruler but it was an interesting change of pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hunt11 posted:

What I always kind of licked about Akame Ga Kill is the way they handle the Emperor and the Grand Vizier or whatever that fucker was called. Instead of the Emperor being some puppet the Vizier seems to generally value the kid and is doing his best to raise him as his view of a proper ruler. Of course the rear end in a top hat was teaching him how to be a horribly corrupt ruler but it was an interesting change of pace.

It was also interesting that the kid was never converted to goodness (if I'm remembering things correctly). I was expecting a cliche "the true nation of the empire is revealed to the empire" outcome.

edit: Wait, Mine really does gently caress a dragon. Why couldn't they have just left it at them raising the child she had become pregnant with earlier? That would have allowed children without requiring her to somehow get pregnant with a massive dragon.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 11, 2017

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Just gonna assume it was twins to avoid that weird poo poo

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Ytlaya posted:

edit: Wait, Mine really does gently caress a dragon. Why couldn't they have just left it at them raising the child she had become pregnant with earlier? That would have allowed children without requiring her to somehow get pregnant with a massive dragon.

Well, you know, you gotta ride the dragon.

Feel free to murder me for the bad joke.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New Kengan Ashua - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kengan-Ashua/Vol-006-Ch-048?id=342900

In which it is implied that Adam Dudley went out in the first round because his tattoos were too complex for the artist to keep drawing on a prolonged basis.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oh poo poo rip Tibetan goon that dude is way too hardcore

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Vhailor I missed you so much

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'm glad this dumb series is so popular

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah Japan has a history of ridiculous over-the-top fighting manga like Baki, Tough, ect.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i meant itf

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I wonder if this guy can attack anyone who doesn't go first against him? Both times so far he only went after the person shot him.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Kengan won the same poll as MP100 did to get an anime adaptation, yeah? Wonder when that will happen

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Jose posted:

i'm glad this dumb series is so popular

Just started reading Kengan Ashua, it's awesome so far. This is like a love letter to Baki. The first bad guy even has Hanayama's vice grip.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
It's Kengan Ashura btw

As in Asura

I have no idea how Ashua got to be so widespread

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

AnonSpore posted:

It's Kengan Ashura btw

As in Asura

I have no idea how Ashua got to be so widespread

Aha, as usual, my old nemesis AnonSpore is one step ahead of me. But I won't let my guard down again!!

*throws smoke bomb purchased from eBay at his feet, which fails to explode, and instead crushes his big toe.*

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Jedah posted:

Just started reading Kengan Ashua, it's awesome so far. This is like a love letter to Baki. The first bad guy even has Hanayama's vice grip.

Its the Baki of the new century

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
New Straighten Up

I've never been so excited to see people about to dance the quickstep.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The Queen Has Returned.

http://bato.to/reader#2c0eab0338874ac7

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 15, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the promised neverland has really janky art

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

"So this is his technique, huh... Secret Art: Nazi Rhetoric..!"

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Demon's Plan manages to have a chapter without much jank art for once and does something vaguely interesting with the setup- namely making use of the fact that people chosen by the Demon's Plan don't age.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 19, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Fabricated posted:

Demon's Plan manages to have a chapter without much jank art for once and does something vaguely interesting with the setup- namely making use of the fact that people chosen by the Demon's Plan don't age.

i started reading this and its dumb but i'd like another regular battle manga to read and not get cancelled tbh

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
So far Demon's Plan is :mediocre: as hell. I could see it going either way, either it finds its footing and gets better or completely devolves into dumb late-BLEACH hell.

Or it gets axed. Jump being Jump that's always a possibility.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Mikl posted:

So far Demon's Plan is :mediocre: as hell. I could see it going either way, either it finds its footing and gets better or completely devolves into dumb late-BLEACH hell.

Or it gets axed. Jump being Jump that's always a possibility.

Looks like the latter, unless it managed to save itself with the chapters after the first chapter.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Allarion posted:

Looks like the latter, unless it managed to save itself with the chapters after the first chapter.
I don't think anything is ranked until its 8th chapter.

Amalgam of Distortion and Spring Weapon No.1 are respectively bottom ranked since passing this mark I think so they're likely first to get axed if anything does.

Spring Weapon had its first chapter or two scanlated I think but it wasn't very interesting IMO. Amalgam has potato-quality translations that are up to date and outside of it having relatively gruesome body-horror stuff in it, it's pretty bad.

Ole Goalazo seems pretty okay for a soccer manga.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 20, 2017

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, we're at chapter 8 for Demon's Plan, and it's at the bottom.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Demon's Plan has had its debut ranking, coming in at #11 out of 12.

That's not quite guaranteed cancellation, but it's a bad start, obviously. 2016 saw six manga debut rank in the double-digits, two of which improved and live (Kimetsu no Yaiba, Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san), four of which stayed in the double-digits and were quickly canceled (Buddy Strike, Love Rush!, Red Sprite, Takuan and Batsu's Daily Demon Diary). Amalgam of Distortion and Spring Weapon No. 1 will go first, but Demon's Plan needs to do better to last long past them.

EDIT: That's actually seven manga in 2016 which debuted in the double-digits, not six. Forgot to count Amalgam of Distortion among them, which technically counts among the still-living, but will certainly be canceled any issue now.

Buzzsaw Roomba fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 20, 2017

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Yuuna-san probably sticks around to fill the "that manga" slot when Food Wars can't.

I enjoyed what I read of Demon's Plan (haven't read past the Jump Start three chapters) and hope it finds its footing. Amalgam I can take or leave since its first three chapters didn't have a good enough hook for me.

Spring Weapon on the other hand was really funny in its first three chapters so I hope it can find a way to survive.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm surprised The Promised Neverland talk seems so minimal. Would've figured it'd have a thread already but it is early
im interested to find out what was on either of the two pieces of paper we got teased with this chapter. Probably at least one dickbutt
Something Isabella and Ray know that they shouldn't know...but is also a second weakness of Isabella (I already forget what the first one is and if it was revealed, suddenly this feels like Assassination Classroom). I'm worried "Mama" will get a whiff of Ray's involvement because of this though. Loving the mind games in this manga

Also I SEE YOU PHIL

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'm surprised The Promised Neverland talk seems so minimal. Would've figured it'd have a thread already but it is early
im interested to find out what was on either of the two pieces of paper we got teased with this chapter. Probably at least one dickbutt
Something Isabella and Ray know that they shouldn't know...but is also a second weakness of Isabella (I already forget what the first one is and if it was revealed, suddenly this feels like Assassination Classroom). I'm worried "Mama" will get a whiff of Ray's involvement because of this though. Loving the mind games in this manga

Also I SEE YOU PHIL

My theory is that the first piece of paper was forged by Ray and claims that Ray is Isabella's biological son. The letter from headquarters says that Krone is being reassigned.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

2016 saw six manga debut rank in the double-digits, two of which improved and live (Kimetsu no Yaiba, Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san), four of which stayed in the double-digits and were quickly canceled (Buddy Strike, Love Rush!, Red Sprite, Takuan and Batsu's Daily Demon Diary).

I looked these up out of curiosity, and the description for "Love Rush!" makes it sound like the worst thing:

Love Rush! posted:

Reiji Hakuba has a genetic condition that makes girls go crazy for him. It's called the Ubermale Gene, and whoever has it appears like the hottest guy ever to all the girls he meets. This may sound like a dream come true, but too much of something you love can become a nightmare. And things really get complicated when non-human girls start chasing him around. Specifically, a Cupid Princess from the Divine Realm!

It's like if someone tried to write a description for the worst, most cliche shounen romcom ever.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

wow, using my life story without getting the rights? They'll be hearing from my lawyer

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I remember reading this bizarre manga some time ago with a similar premise in that the protagonist has a weird birthmark on his rear end that makes girls want to bang him. But there was a catch in that they'd immediately stop feeling that way after sleeping with him (and it would never work a second time). So he ends up constantly worrying if girls really like him or if they mistakenly saw his birthmark at some point. I remember it portraying his ability as this terrible thing that brought him nothing but suffering.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I always liked the bit in D. Gray Man where Lavi told Bookman he'd always been jealous of Allen's ability to see Akuma but when he experienced it himself and heard all the screaming he realised it was a curse not a blessing. Much like butts but with demons.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

I remember reading this bizarre manga some time ago with a similar premise in that the protagonist has a weird birthmark on his rear end that makes girls want to bang him. But there was a catch in that they'd immediately stop feeling that way after sleeping with him (and it would never work a second time). So he ends up constantly worrying if girls really like him or if they mistakenly saw his birthmark at some point. I remember it portraying his ability as this terrible thing that brought him nothing but suffering.

Now that you mention it, i remember something like that, too. I only remember it though, because one of the girls he meets was a stagehand at a Pendulum concert. :rock: At least i'm pretty sure that was the one.
All the "oh woe is me" was really stretching it though, yeah.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I think it's this: https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=47705

What I most remember about it is that the author did another story with the same sub-title about a high-powered career woman and the random dude she dates who eventually overcomes his insecurities about being a house husband.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

EmmyOk posted:

I always liked the bit in D. Gray Man where Lavi told Bookman he'd always been jealous of Allen's ability to see Akuma but when he experienced it himself and heard all the screaming he realised it was a curse not a blessing. Much like butts but with demons.

It's a shame D. Gray Man turned into generic battle shonen(also incomprehensible art and hiatuses rivaling Berserk) the setting is pretty good.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I wish I could get back onboard World Trigger since it's a rare shounen whose combat seemed "smart" (at least comparatively speaking) but it feels like there's like 200 characters to keep track of and 60% of them look the same

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

z0glin Warchief posted:

I think it's this: https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=47705

What I most remember about it is that the author did another story with the same sub-title about a high-powered career woman and the random dude she dates who eventually overcomes his insecurities about being a house husband.

Yeah, that's it! It was surprisingly..."psychological" for a manga about a guy with an rear end birthmark that makes women want to have sex with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

RatHat posted:

It's a shame D. Gray Man turned into generic battle shonen(also incomprehensible art and hiatuses rivaling Berserk) the setting is pretty good.

It got way better after the second hiatus when it went monthly, though the art is still incomprehensible at times.