Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Rougey posted:

Witnesses also claimed he was shouting "the government is after me" when doing doughnuts earlier.

goddammit auspol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
If only he had hit some of the homeless people

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Calm down please, senator Leyonhjelm.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Rougey posted:

Witnesses also claimed he was shouting "the government is after me" when doing doughnuts earlier.

Early reports that the cops had been chasing/monitoring him via the air for quite a while so he wasn't exactly wrong.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Gorilla Salad posted:

Calm down please, senator Leyonhjelm.

Nice try, I'm actually the editor of the Herald Sun.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
That's worse!

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Leyonhjelm needs to loving neck himself.

e: they all loving should

https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/822310531184750593
https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/822313180881788928

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
God it's funny watching cathat calling people thin skinned after he got mad as gently caress about the chaser stunt. He's a trump level pissbaby with none of the personal magnetism or ability to read a crowd.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
or hair

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Apparently I'm allowed to wear non standard uniform for Australia Day week. Anyone know any work appropriate shirts that show solidarity with Indigenous Australians that I could get in the next few days?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Probably go an indigeonous flag but depending on the job it might be a good way to get some real dickhead customers.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

If only he had hit some of the homeless people

Don't worry, under the current regime the victims will become homeless soon enough once they're reliant on Centrelink to survive while they physically recover.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Zenithe posted:

Apparently I'm allowed to wear non standard uniform for Australia Day week. Anyone know any work appropriate shirts that show solidarity with Indigenous Australians that I could get in the next few days?
This would be ideal but I doubt they can get one to you in time.

http://www.culturebeforecoal.com/shop

You all should buy one for yourself and everyone you know.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The Driver is going to go down like Julian Knight. He will never ever ever be released.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/822314772334944256

https://twitter.com/AndieHamblin/status/822312286198996994

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Mr Edgy has a whine:

quote:

Senator Leyonhjelm told AAP the outrage "only emanates from those who are too stupid to get it".

"My comment referred to the 'rogue' car, as if the driver is irrelevant," he told AAP.

"It's people who commit crimes, not inanimate objects.

"The same argument applies in the debate about firearms."

Even Pauline Hanson managed a better reaction than this

https://twitter.com/PaulineHansonOz/status/822304276139515905

edit: If only someone else had

(he deleted the tweet later)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Never thought I'd see the day when Pauline Hanson was looking like one of the more classy members of parliament. :suicide:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Zenithe posted:

https://www.darkanddisturbing.com.au/shop/

Try some of these

'i see deadly people' is a personal favourite of mine

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Hey soag that wasn't funny in the Auspol thread and sure as poo poo not funny here.

Go away. Far far away, please.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Grats on being an even bigger shitlord than cathat, quite an achievement, pat yourself on the back.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Given they apparently were chasing him from outside into the CBD, and would've had a few minutes warning he was going into the crowded areas... does Australia have a rapid-push tower-based warning equivalent to the Wireless Emergency Alert? Might've been doable to get a 'clear the streets' out as he came in if a system were in place for an immediate response.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jan 20, 2017

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Given people were watching him do burnouts outside Flinders St station I doubt there would have been any time, unless you clear the streets whenever someone does that in which case nobody ever goes outside.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

So I thought Pauline got the tone right and she just goes and fucks up

https://twitter.com/7NewsQueensland/status/822355021656264704

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ewe2 posted:

Ah that's more like the fish and chip shop owner I remember.

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

ewe2 posted:

Uhhhhhhhh

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

All the racists crawling out of the woodwork to set the story straight. Let's hope this doesn't set the tone for straya day

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

quote:

The man who allegedly mowed down around two dozen people in Melbourne's CBD on Friday, killing four and injuring 20 others, has a history of drug use, violence and psychological problems.

James "Jimmy" Gargasoulas, 26, was bailed by a bail justice on the weekend after he was arrested in St Kilda for a number of alleged offences, including family violence and stealing another car, sources said.

He was staying with his mother in a public housing flat in Windsor, where he allegedly stabbed his brother, Angelo, in the early hours of Friday morning.

Neighbours said they had regularly heard arguing inside the Raleigh Street unit.

The car Mr Gargasoulas allegedly used to mow down pedestrians belonged to 76-year-old Gavin Wilson, who lives at the housing commission flats.

Mr Wilson said Mr Gargasoulas was a "nice kid", but on Wednesday night he became violent.

He said he came into his flat with a Bible, sat down and started burning it before throwing the burning book into his face.

"I flicked it onto the floor then he stood up and punched me," Mr Wilson said.

He said Mr Gargasoulas then attacked him. "Give me your keys or I'll gouge your eyes out," Mr Gargasoulas allegedly demanded.

Gargasoulas, a father of a number of children, has a second Facebook page on which he recently began posting about religion, God, Satan, heaven and hell.

The comments are rambling and often nonsensical and rant about good and evil. In one chilling post he says an army will be needed to "take me."

On Saturday he posted: "I know exactly how to take you dogs down the power of knowing has revealed and I shall have God's laws re-instated."

And then, on Monday, four days before the Bourke Street rampage: "I declare war on tyranny today you dogs will have the option to either believe in me and his positive energy he offers and stay faithful to me or serve the one who enslaves you at his feet."

Police said the incident is not terrorism related. "This individual is not related to any terrorism activity," Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton said.

Mr Gargasoulas' erratic behaviour dramatically escalated on Friday morning.

In the early hours, Jess Bergin said she heard screaming outside her flat on the other side of road and looked out the window.

"He had a knife and he was hacking at either a guy or a girl, I don't know," she said.

They got into a waiting car, and then the knife-wielding man began hacking at the car, she said.

Mr Gargasoulas, who also goes by the name Dimitrios, is currently on bail after being charged with family violence offences last weekend.

He is known to police for drug-related issues, family violence assaults and has "an extensive family violence history".

It is understood that police began pursuing Mr Gargasoulas on Friday in a maroon-coloured sedan after he allegedly took a woman hostage, who later escaped on the Bolte Bridge.

Police called off the pursuit over concerns of public safety, just outside the CBD.

The car was next seen doing "burnouts" and driving erratically at the intersection in front of Flinders Street Station. Mr Gargasoulas was filmed hanging out the driver's window and abusing passerby.

He then sped north towards Bourke Street, where he allegedly ploughed through the crowded shopping strip, killing three people and injuring 20.

Police shot Mr Gargasoulas in the arm further west on Bourke Street, dragging him from the sedan and making an arrest. He is being treated in hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

A relative said Mr Gargasoulas has had a drug problem and has been in and out of jail for car theft and drug offences.

"Jimmy has always been a bad person," she said. "I knew it was him. I saw it on TV ... the picture of him sticking his head out when he was doing burnouts.

"I saw a picture and I thought 'Oh My God, that's Jimmy.' I'm shaking. I knew it, as soon as I saw that picture I had this feeling. I can't believe this.

"I bawled out crying when they announced that baby died. I'm shaking."

Mr Wilson, owner of the car, has also expressed disbelief at Friday's horrific rampage. "It's a terrible thing. I can't believe it," he said. "I feel awful".

So he was clearly psychotic, going through a psychotic break, and had recently been released into the public. This will result in a lot of discussions on how someone this violent was out on bail, less so on questions of mental illness treatment probably. He's going to prison for life, no amount of "not guilty by reason of insanity" will get him off with his history, and the public will not accept he can be "fixed".

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

quote:

James "Jimmy" Gargasoulas

yeah thats a real Muslim sounding name alright

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Lid posted:

So he was clearly psychotic, going through a psychotic break, and had recently been released into the public. This will result in a lot of discussions on how someone this violent was out on bail, less so on questions of mental illness treatment probably. He's going to prison for life, no amount of "not guilty by reason of insanity" will get him off with his history, and the public will not accept he can be "fixed".

Um he was using a bible and yelling stuff about God so he's pretty obviously a religious extremist terrorist and we should deport all Christians as a result

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Cory Bernardi was right! How dare the post-war government let in Greeks, the utter bastards! Send 'em back!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TheIllestVillain posted:

Make the name font stylised middle eastern like in those ye olde time films so you knew the filmstage the actors are on is in the "Sahara" and not "next to the studio parking lot" then don't pronounce it properly, or at all.

Bam. Muslim terrorist.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

MikeJF posted:

Given they apparently were chasing him from outside into the CBD, and would've had a few minutes warning he was going into the crowded areas... does Australia have a rapid-push tower-based warning equivalent to the Wireless Emergency Alert? Might've been doable to get a 'clear the streets' out as he came in if a system were in place for an immediate response.

I'm assuming a Wireless Emergency Alert is like a mass text to everyone in the area? We get them sometimes during bushfires. Personally I don't think it was feasible in this situation. He started out doing burnouts at Flinders St and then moved to Bourke. Not sure if you've ever been to Melbourne so sorry if I'm explaining something you know, but the total time it would take him to get there would have been like a minute at absolute maximum, probably more like thirty seconds. In addition to that, Bourke St is essentially pedestrian only, but most of the streets are just normal road traffic. Not just one or two pedestrians, at that time of day there would have been easily one or two hundred in the stretch he went down (based on my estimate of having been around there fifteen minutes earlier). I'd be surprised if him going down Bourke took longer than a minute.

So basically best case scenario you're talking about having a couple of minutes max to react (although realistically probably far less), and that's assuming you sent out the warning before he actually started plowing down pedestrians while he was doing burnouts, and were able to predict he'd decide to progress from burnouts to vehicular massacre. Personally I don't think it was foreseeable.

Last I heard, they had been chasing him, but had stopped earlier (Victoria Police has a policy of not conducting chases AFAIK, due to some high profile public safety incidents). Even if they had still been chasing or monitoring him, I don't think it would have been feasible to foresee what he did and warn the crowds of people who were there in time, because there was just no way of knowing he'd decide to go down crowded streets. I'm sure more facts will continue to come to light quickly though, so if I've missed anything pertinent, forgive me.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
A car moving around a city is much harder to pin and react to than a bushfire whereby broadcast SMSs would almost be rendered useless as a means of advice.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Clearly the only solution to stop this from happening again is to adopt a USA style health care system and cut public funding for mental health because private industry will do a better job.

I'll take my cheque made out to "cash" thanks IPA.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

open24hours posted:

I'm not entirely sure how they reconcile their anti-authoritarian stance with their plan to seize the means of production, but I'm sure they're on top of it.

sorry about your post

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

TheIllestVillain posted:

And some random guy said he was yelling "Allahu Akbar" (that wasn't corroborated outside of the UPF Facebook page)! And he posted something about Islamic on his Facebook (while also talking about Yazdanism and Angels and other stuff) - clearly betrayed his noble Greek Orthodox heritage

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009
Side note to all this terribleness: I just moved to Canberra and know gently caress all about this city. So give me your hottest ACT takes.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Other thing being how clearly poor he is

James "Jimmy" Gargasoulas, 26

has a history of drug use, violence and psychological problems.

He was staying with his mother in a public housing flat in Windsor

The car Mr Gargasoulas allegedly used to mow down pedestrians belonged to 76-year-old Gavin Wilson, who lives at the housing commission flats.

Gargasoulas, a father of a number of children

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I suspect auto bollards are getting installed at bourke st mall sometime very soon

• Locked thread