Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Pierogi posted:

The heart is the symbol for a huge charity which is not liked by pis, because it's secular(???)

I feel this one bears explaining to foreign goons.

The dude who organizes this (basically Poland's #1 annual charity drive) also has a second major project, the so-called "Woodstock Festival", which is exactly what it sounds like - a big, good-natured rock music festival for dumb teens to get hosed up in mud. Both events are running annually from deep 90s.

Now, as you all should known, in :poland: issues exist in public space because of and only if church has some opinion on it. In this case, the laissez-faire semi-hippy attitude of Jerzy Owsiak (the organizer peeps are mad at) pushed some buttons of people who perceive the event as the most wretched hive of scum and villainy, where young people can get drunk and get free condoms and sex-ed tips (they would die of a heart attack if they heard of the burning man). Being really pissed at it, the hate sort of expanded to WOŚP (the charity drive) by osmosis, for being another thing done by Owsiak.

Few years ago (2011 I think?) the whole thing escalated a bit, as Owsiak got fed up and denied access to the festival to the church-organized stand, supposedly present on the events to help with anti-drug campaigns, but in practice notorious for pushy evangelizing (I think it was the stealth-construction of own stage that broke the camel's back). I think, but may be wrong, that only Hare Krishna shares the priviledge of being booted from the event for pushiness.

And now the angry dudes keep being even more angry because that's just kind of what they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

OddObserver posted:

Speaking of reasons left-wing people should not like Russia: the Duma just passed the first reading (IIRC they need 3?) of a bill reclassifying domestic violence as an "administrative" offense, as opposed to a criminal one, with only one vote against. With this change, if I understand it, the first offense carries no punishment. (Or maybe not, t seeks a bit unclear)

https://meduza.io/cards/pochemu-dekriminalizirovat-poboi-v-rossii-eto-plohaya-ideya

https://meduza.io/news/2017/01/11/zakonoproekt-o-dekriminalizatsii-poboev-v-semie-prinyali-v-pervom-chtenii

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jan/19/russian-soften-domestic-violence-law-decriminalise-womens-rights

As appalling as this is I genuinely did not expect Vladimir Putin of all people to oppose spanking children.

quote:

Putin, when questioned in December, said it was better not to use violence at all, noting that “there’s too little distance between a spanking and a beating”. He agreed, however, that “unceremonious interference with the family is impermissible”.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jan/19/russian-soften-domestic-violence-law-decriminalise-womens-rights

As appalling as this is I genuinely did not expect Vladimir Putin of all people to oppose spanking children.

Ain't opposed to Trump spankin' em while they pee on him, though. :haw:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Honestly the worst part of Trump being elected is that I can't make fun of Poland anymore :(

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

He is actually very moderate in his speeches, and often criticises all the awfulness that keeps happening totally against his will.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

woodenchicken posted:

He is actually very moderate in his speeches, and often criticises all the awfulness that keeps happening totally against his will.

He's a very compassionate man, it's the evil boyars around that give him bad council.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

MeLKoR posted:

He's a very compassionate man, it's the evil boyars around that give him bad council.

If only the Tsar knew.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Newsweek Poland wrote an article comparing the government's foreign policy to Polandball and ran it with this pic of our FM:

lmao

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Fallen Hamprince posted:

If only the Tsar knew.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Monkey see, monkey do.

Jealous Cow posted:

https://twitter.com/RVAwonk/status/822092216386678785

Because who cares about women am I rite??!???

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

A Pale Horse posted:

Newsweek Poland wrote an article comparing the government's foreign policy to Polandball and ran it with this pic of our FM:

lmao
Is that the San Escobar flag in the bacground? I really don't know whether to laugh or cry when looking at Polish politics.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What's poland's opinion on Tropico? I hope they have good relations.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

Is that the San Escobar flag in the bacground? I really don't know whether to laugh or cry when looking at Polish politics.

Yes, it's the flag of our newest tropical super power ally. As for laughing or crying you can do both, I do all the time lately. :suicide:

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
Over/under on when we'll see the first Barron Trump/Kolya Lukashenko hangout session?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My wife is watching "ukraine on fire" and I told her I heard it was like 9/11 truther level conspiracy theory BS. I only sort of remember people in this thread making fun of it, can someone outline why it's wrong or not a trustworthy documentary?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Should watch "Winter on Fire" instead.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

My wife is watching "ukraine on fire" and I told her I heard it was like 9/11 truther level conspiracy theory BS. I only sort of remember people in this thread making fun of it, can someone outline why it's wrong or not a trustworthy documentary?

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

I have become Umlaut, destroyer of words

Wow, Putin has his own http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1269884 page. What a guy. Guess who's winning the Oscars this year.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Karmalis posted:

Wow, Putin has his own http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1269884 page. What a guy. Guess who's winning the Oscars this year.

Apparently many political figures do.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1682433/awards?ref_=nm_awd

Obama has two Grammies. Putin should probably have a talk with his agent about this.

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
I'm going to the student protest in Kraków today, hopefully I won't have to run from nationalists.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

The pride of the Russian fleet is on it's way home from Syria.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I didn't know they still used coal fired ships.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
It's part of the defensive systems, it confuses the sensors on cruise missiles.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Baronjutter posted:

I didn't know they still used coal fired ships.

They don't. It's fueled entirely by old burning tires.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

The pride of the Russian fleet is on it's way home from Syria.

I guess they still haven't elected a Pope.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Well it *was* built in Ukraine....

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
Government of Estonia approves the signing of Rail Baltic treaty. EU would pay for some (edit: probably most) of the construction costs. I still don't see where all those future goods or passengers would come from. The planes are faster and might even be cheaper. And right now this line would end at the Polish border.

Apparently it would be in European gauge, not Russian. But the speeds would still be only 200 km/h. Though I guess if another volcano in Iceland blows up, it would be nice to have alternatives.

edit: some have thrown around the idea of a tunnel between Helsinki and Tallinn as an extension to Rail Baltic, but seeing as we have nowhere near the population of France and UK combined, and this tunnel would be longer than the channel tunnel, there is no way that would happen.

jonnypeh fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jan 26, 2017

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

jonnypeh posted:

Government of Estonia approves the signing of Rail Baltic treaty. EU would pay for some (edit: probably most) of the construction costs. I still don't see where all those future goods or passengers would come from. The planes are faster and might even be cheaper. And right now this line would end at the Polish border.

Apparently it would be in European gauge, not Russian. But the speeds would still be only 200 km/h. Though I guess if another volcano in Iceland blows up, it would be nice to have alternatives.

edit: some have thrown around the idea of a tunnel between Helsinki and Tallinn as an extension to Rail Baltic, but seeing as we have nowhere near the population of France and UK combined, and this tunnel would be longer than the channel tunnel, there is no way that would happen.

I think it's a great idea. I see myself travelling more to Latvia and Estonia more just because of the Rail Baltic. Furthermore, I think this rail becomes a direct connection with Western Europe through Poland, so both ways it is good.
Maybe it's just me since I love travelling by train, but I've met a fair few people who prefer trains for planes for shorter distances.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

jonnypeh posted:

When you build it, they will come. The economy will make use of the new opportunities it provides, even if we don't see it all at the moment. In a couple of years you couldn't imagine living without 200 km/h vodka trains to Riga. :v:

P.s. rail is MASSIVELY important for moving military units and gear, so even purely for defensive purposes I'm all for it.

pigdog fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jan 26, 2017

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
I bet there might be uses for it when it comes to connecting Riga's airport with neighboring countries. Lithuanian and Estonian airlines both have gone bankrupt and "Nordica" is being propped up by tax payers just like Estonian Air was, so it would make sense if there was one airline and fast rail connections. It would diminish the value of Tallinn airport though.

If RB bypasses Vilnius, that will be a problem for Lithuanians. They'd probably need to have a layover for that. And to think that some in Estonia have problem with RB not going through Tartu which has a population of mere 100,000, compared to over 500k in Vilnius :)

edit: I read somewhere that EU's TEN-T infastructure plan foresees speeds of 250 km/h.
https://ec.europa.eu/transport/themes/infrastructure_en
the map looks nice.

jonnypeh fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jan 26, 2017

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

jonnypeh posted:

I bet there might be uses for it when it comes to connecting Riga's airport with neighboring countries. Lithuanian and Estonian airlines both have gone bankrupt and "Nordica" is being propped up by tax payers just like Estonian Air was, so it would make sense if there was one airline and fast rail connections. It would diminish the value of Tallinn airport though.

If RB bypasses Vilnius, that will be a problem for Lithuanians. They'd probably need to have a layover for that. And to think that some in Estonia have problem with RB not going through Tartu which has a population of mere 100,000, compared to over 500k in Vilnius :)

edit: I read somewhere that EU's TEN-T infastructure plan foresees speeds of 250 km/h.
https://ec.europa.eu/transport/themes/infrastructure_en
the map looks nice.

The track is bypassing Vilnius, but there's going to be a special branch off Kaunas, the second largest city that the rail will actually pass through. At least that was the latest thing Lithuanian government was planning/counting on. Not sure how it will go through though.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It will connect the region with railroad backbones such as this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chongqing-Xinjiang-Europe_Railway

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

jonnypeh posted:

Only 200 kph? Laughable. Completely useless for all purposes. Why would you spend money on building such an ancient relic?

Fifty bucks and we take it off your hands. As a favour.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
Sounds like a technological marvel here, considering our trains have never been faster than 120 km/h.

TGV goes at 320 afaik.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

jonnypeh posted:

TGV goes at 320 afaik.

It could go faster though (its speed record is well over 500 kph). But there's a few things to keep in mind about high speed rail:

1. The speed limit is in the rails more than in the trains. For a faster train, you'll want straighter railroads, which much larger radii when the rails need to turn, both for safety and for passenger comfort.

2. The faster you go, the more you pay in maintenance. High speed results in more wear and tear than low speed, and also increases the risk of damage from minor accidents.

For instance let's say it's wintertime and it snowed. Your high speed train are covered in ice and snow. Two trains go past each other, going at 320 kph each in opposite direction. The sudden change in air pressure while both trains are going past each other detaches a block of ice from one, and let it hit the other train at a relative speed of 640 kph.

To avoid this kind of accidents, you can have the train slow down to a safe speed, but then you lose the "high speed rail" advantage; or you can increase the distance between each train's pair of rails, which makes the railroads larger and therefore more expensive.

There are other things that make high speed rail lines more expensive. For instance to make the ride smoother the rail sections have to be welded together, and that complicates the handling of compression and dilatation depending on outside temperature.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Uranium Phoenix posted:

They're basically using bunker fuel which is sort of insane when it's your only carrier and basically the flagship of your (lovely) blue water fleet.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
edit: Forget it. old news. ignore this worthless post please.

jonnypeh fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 26, 2017

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
https://twitter.com/sbg1/status/824726903152115712

I mean, of course.

And not just ease, but lift:

https://twitter.com/sbg1/status/824734913790349313

Fabulous Knight fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 26, 2017

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

This is going to be the big news today. It's something Trump said he would do, and if you saw Rachel Maddow's broadcast last night, it makes sense. I'm curious if Trump will actually make good on another promise he made concerning recognizing Crimea as part of Russia.

Also,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

One well known picture comes to my mind when reading about Trump lifting sanctions and recognizing Crimea