Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Declan MacManus posted:

How long did it take the Thunder to not suck asking for a friend and definitely not me, the Minnesota Timberwolves

Durant's third year, which was Westbrook's and Ibaka's second and hardens first. They had a few decent role players too though.

Edit: whoops ibaka's first too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
WOW what a coincidence that Pau Gasol broke a bone in his hand, I definitely had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT

time to begin the DAY of the DEDMON

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Declan MacManus posted:

How long did it take the Thunder to not suck asking for a friend and definitely not me, the Minnesota Timberwolves

Problem: Wiggins + Towns + Lavine doesn't equal Russell + Durant + Harden. So they're probably on the regular team timeline which is like 2-4 years from the last primary player's lottery selection.

So next year maybe?

There always is the Warriors timeline where everyone says "that young team is gonna be good soon" but the young team never gets good for like six years and then suddenly they make one trade and become a playoff team and then all time great over the course of two years.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

ex post facho posted:

jokic put up 35 and 11 tonight

he's like a more efficient vlade divac that never started smoking and eating philly cheesesteaks at halftime

Jokic's passing is so sweet. He was single handily carrying that Serbian team during the Olympics and I knew he'd be a stud this season. He needs to get his fouling under control though.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Pop too furious to even notice

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Bashez posted:

They nailed the East frontcourt. I can't see any reasonable argument against those picks. The real robbery is when Embiid doesn't make it at all because he definitely deserves to be a reserve. The player/media vote does not give me confidence he's getting his due from people in the league.

I feel like Kawhi is starting to build a much stronger MVP case as of late. I doubt he'll be able to unseat Harden because of how little people care about defense but he's been real fuckin' good.

Kawhi has been excellent but Harden deserves it more. D'antoni has unleashed a monster on the world

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Put him in the AS game for this

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Harden going bonkers under D'Antonio and Westbrook's one man show have probably been the two most purely fun parts of this season, they should be the west starting backcourt imo and I hope one of them wins MVP

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So is Obama gonna play in the celebrity game this year?

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

MourningView posted:

Harden going bonkers under D'Antonio and Westbrook's one man show have probably been the two most purely fun parts of this season, they should be the west starting backcourt imo and I hope one of them wins MVP

No they really shouldn't

Harden has been transcendent and despite his high usage, he has been crazy efficient and they are winning all the time because of it

Russ is great but a lot of what he is doing is because of a usage level and freedom to do what he wants that no other player has. Russ has the ball all the time, takes all the shots, makes all the passes. He's wildly inefficient. He doesn't have to get back on defense so he can crash the offensive boards. He drops off his man all the time to Hoover up defensive rebounds that his own big men otherwise would get. And his team doesn't win as much

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I don't like westbrook's style but the Thunder have 25 wins as basically the sole creator and basically no good shooters on the team (besides Morrow who will give up 3x as many points on the other end) He's made a bad roster better than 5 eastern playoff teams at this moment

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
So with all the young player talk who do we think the second player will be (after Rose) to win the MVP and miss the Hall of Fame?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Bip Roberts posted:

So with all the young player talk who do we think the second player will be (after Rose) to win the MVP and miss the Hall of Fame?

Not sure what you're asking, unless you''re talking about Westbrook and Harden? Because if they win MVP and retire tomorrow, they're still in the hall guaranteed. Rose is a very special case where he peaked at the right time in the right climate and did almost nothing afterwards.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
SAS Mods should be put to vote by Georgians exclusively

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Tae posted:

Not sure what you're asking, unless you''re talking about Westbrook and Harden? Because if they win MVP and retire tomorrow, they're still in the hall guaranteed. Rose is a very special case where he peaked at the right time in the right climate and did almost nothing afterwards.

Yeah, I'm not sure it's really possible without an injury bust but there are some funny trajectories to be the best player in the league for a very short time.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Bip Roberts posted:

Embiid

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

predicto posted:

No they really shouldn't

Harden has been transcendent and despite his high usage, he has been crazy efficient and they are winning all the time because of it

Russ is great but a lot of what he is doing is because of a usage level and freedom to do what he wants that no other player has. Russ has the ball all the time, takes all the shots, makes all the passes. He's wildly inefficient. He doesn't have to get back on defense so he can crash the offensive boards. He drops off his man all the time to Hoover up defensive rebounds that his own big men otherwise would get. And his team doesn't win as much

You do realize that most players couldn't handle the load Russ is carrying right now?

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Russ's usage is over 40% and he has an ORTG of like 110 still. He's not wildly inefficient, especially considering what he has to do with that roster.

What Russ is doing is unreal this year do not hate on the man.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Doltos posted:

Goodbye MV you were a pretty lovely mod and got a lot better when you disappeared from TFF

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

With Rudy exploding into a cloud of dust, Kings fans online are clamoring that we need to start a rebuild instead of continuing what we are doing. Uh, over half the roster is going to be gone next season and Kosta is probably the only asset we have that can net something higher than a 2nd round pick. Like, does anyone think teams are going to give anything decent for a rebuild for the corpse of Afflalo, Ty Lawson, or Matt Barnes?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Can't wait for Blake Griffin's soft reboot of Love & Basketball

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

The Glumslinger posted:

So is Obama gonna play in the celebrity game this year?

i hope so so much

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/anthonyvslater/status/822262677682548736
getting dark vibes from Steph

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Averaging a triple double is extremely cool no matter how you do it.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
And Russ does it with style and prejudice.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Jota posted:

Russ's usage is over 40% and he has an ORTG of like 110 still. He's not wildly inefficient, especially considering what he has to do with that roster.

The only thing I don't get is Russ grabbing that many rebounds on a team with three legit big men. Are they just poor rebounders or do they intentionally let Russ get the ball in order to start the offense quicker?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'll miss Obama http://www.sbnation.com/2017/1/19/14237638/barack-obama-basketball-highlights-stories-presidency-ranking

This coach is probably getting suspended http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/1/19/14333224/courtney-lee-coach-on-the-court-wizards-vs-knicks

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Metapod posted:

You do realize that most players couldn't handle the load Russ is carrying right now?

Yes I do. He's amazing and his energy level is second to none, maybe ever. He's an all star and will go into the hall of fame.

But he's not quite as good a player as Harden or Curry, and his incredible cumulative stats conceal some flaws. If Steph took 25 shots a game like Russ does he'd be averaging 40 ppg. If Steph dominated the ball every possession he'd have a dozen assists per game. If he were freed of the responsibility of getting back on defense when a shot goes up, or of staying with his man rather than crashing the glass, he might even have as many boards as Russ. Russ frequently leaves his man wide open at the three point line and stands by the circle to be in rebounding position, even when there are other Thunder players already there.

People say Russ gets to play freestyle because they don't have anyone else, but Harden is in a similar situation and succeeding much better. Steph is giving up a lot of individual statistical opportunities to play within the Warriors ball movement offense and Ron Adams' "we contest every shot even if we have to give up offensive rebounds" style of defense. As great as Russ is, bOth of them are better and more efficient players than he is.

What's crazy is that Chris Paul isn't in this conversation too.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

do they intentionally let Russ get the ball in order to start the offense quicker?

Yes that is exactly what they do

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Jota posted:

I'm not hating on him. I think he's awesome and fun as hell. I just think he's the third best guard in the NBA and the other two also happen to be in the west also.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Metapod posted:

Yes that is exactly what they do
This is what I assumed, but I haven't seen enough full Thunder games to make a definitive opinion on that.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Crazy Ted posted:

The only thing I don't get is Russ grabbing that many rebounds on a team with three legit big men. Are they just poor rebounders or do they intentionally let Russ get the ball in order to start the offense quicker?

They intentionally let Russ get the ball in order to pad his numbers. Also to let him run break from behind, like Bobby Orr.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Kenny Smith is saying the Wolves are a much better team with either Kris Dunn or Tyus Jones at PG than Ricky Rubio.

As if it wasn't completely obvious that he does not watch any basketball games which don't involve marquee teams.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

That's part of their scheme I'm sure, but sometimes it is because Russ literally is not guarding anyone and standing near the circle while his man is out at the three point line. Everyone else has to think about blocking out while Russ just grabs the ball (unless it goes in which it often does)

And no I'm not hating. dude clearly has the green light to do whatever he thinks is best from the OKC coaching staff. Given their roster I can't say that it's the wrong thing to do. But it also is kind of misleading.

predicto fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 20, 2017

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

"Maybe Courtney is schizophrenic and was just hearing voices at the end of the game"

:lol:

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

WhyteRyce posted:

With Rudy exploding into a cloud of dust, Kings fans online are clamoring that we need to start a rebuild instead of continuing what we are doing. Uh, over half the roster is going to be gone next season and Kosta is probably the only asset we have that can net something higher than a 2nd round pick. Like, does anyone think teams are going to give anything decent for a rebuild for the corpse of Afflalo, Ty Lawson, or Matt Barnes?

The Kings subreddit is in an extremely dark place right now.

Evidently there is/were a fair number of casual fans who wanted tank for Fultz after the Gay injury, but didn't know about the pick swap option on this year's pick. They're not happy.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Dejan Bimble posted:

:siren: I was thinking about Lebron's lack of serious injuries over thousands of games, and MKG's constant string of injuries. In watching video, I would claim that the deciding factor isn't HGH or whatever botique dope Lebron is on, but gymnast/pro wrestler style body control. Lebron contorts in the air so that his body takes impacts in the safest states of relaxation/tension and in the best position possible. MKG dives like a torpedo after loose balls and lands squarely on a full retracted shoulder. Not getting injured is in cases not relating to bad dellavedova beverly knee rolls, is a skill. Having the biomechanics to not prematurely wear soft tissue is also a skill. We see in Derrick Rose how badly things can go if a player doesn't know how to safely run and jump.

This is probably something smart NBA teams understand by now, and if not, pay me 290k for the next 10 years and I'll teach your players how to fall down :siren: :twisted:

I should really practice with final cut so I can make side by side falling comp videos and get those #youtubeRevenues

Someone already mentioned By Any Means Basketball, but they did a LeBron video where they specifically talk about his excellent biomechanics (starting at around 11:40): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI47Ble9ajw

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
this makes me extremely tumescent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcfRiM7rlLs

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
I am utterly stunned that the player vote ranked CJ McCollum so high. Higher than Chris Paul? That's insane and make me think that either players just don't like Chris Paul or that CJ is a very charming guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Quizzlefish posted:

I am utterly stunned that the player vote ranked CJ McCollum so high. Higher than Chris Paul? That's insane and make me think that either players just don't like Chris Paul or that CJ is a very charming guy.

Maybe a little bit of column A and a little bit of column B? CJ is a really nice guy and Paul is a dickpuncher.

• Locked thread