Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh my god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Oh poo poo go full Memento while you still have time

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

And here we go

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

THIS BETTER GET RENEWED

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

THIS BETTER GET RENEWED

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

What a genius setup for season 2

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

That's the best message she could think of?

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Shoulda wrote a better note Eleanor

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

this

blue squares posted:

Oh poo poo go full Memento while you still have time

also this

hell of a show that was :downsrim:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

At least Janet isn't evil

I don't think I could've taken that

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

xbilkis posted:

It tracks.

I'm glad this was only 13 episodes, it pretty much fell out perfectly. Also, Mindy was far better than I'd imagined she would be.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

As much as I loved this season, and I really really did, I just realized something. This show is essentially the comedy version of the Walking Dead. They effectively took all the hope out of the show. There'll have to be some twist later on that makes it clear they could actually make it to the good place, otherwise we're just watching a show about a bunch of people being tortured and their minds eventually being wiped. Albeit an absolutely hilarious show where that happens...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I had the perfect budhole and no dudes to share it with. :(

xbilkis posted:

Seriously

e: Michael had the best evil laugh when Eleanor figured it out.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I looked up my posts in this thread to see if I saw this development coming... and my first couple seem to be headed in the right direction, but then the wool was pulled fully over my eyes.

This was a great way to end the season and shift the entire series. It's just a shame that we're not likely to see Adam Scott as Douche, King of the Demons again.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

tarlibone posted:

I looked up my posts in this thread to see if I saw this development coming... and my first couple seem to be headed in the right direction, but then the wool was pulled fully over my eyes.

This was a great way to end the season and shift the entire series. It's just a shame that we're not likely to see Adam Scott as Douche, King of the Demons again.

Yeah, I was so close ...

Ernie. posted:

An ethics professor who has to solve the ultimate ethics question while finishing his thesis...
A bad person who has to atone and become good...
A prolific party planner who has to plan parties constantly while fighting with the fact that those closest to her are not in fact anywhere near being close enough...
An aspiring DJ who never hoped to be anything different while everyone around him kept telling him to...

Like to me it at least comes off as a pretty strong indication that all of these people carried forward their problems to this place, and are on a journey to improving. Ergo, they're in purgatory.

Next show I'll call it correctly. :P

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Polygynous posted:

drat, that reveal of the cause of the mixup was a bit of a... er... :flaccid:

I wasn't expecting some Burn Notice multi-season thing where there'd be one little piece each episode, but I thought they'd drag it out a little. Like there was an obvious setup there for the gang getting to the bottom of whatever caused the screwup, but nah "the system can just gently caress up sometimes." Which is probably Sean's fault. So I guess we're getting something there at least.

(Is this supposed to be a one-shot series or what, btw? e: Looks like "maybe" from a few posts back.)

It's still a crazy coincidence which might be funny or dumb but at the time I was just like, "that's it?", so I don't know.

Unless it's a cover-up of course. :v:

This post is pretty funny in retrospect

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
haha drat I forgot about that post. :v:

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
That was an amazing finale. I thought Mindy was going to be God, goading fake Eleanor into doing the right thing then, BAM!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

e: Michael had the best evil laugh when Eleanor figured it out.
Yeah, that's what really sold the twist.

Also:
"That makes me feel worse somehow."

"Good. Thank you, Chidi. I really needed to hear that right now."

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
This was so good. Can't wait for more.

I hope next season, the gang convinces Janet to take them to an actual Good Place, and get their Janet to talk to another Janet in an endless loop of Hellos and such. Like making two Siris talk to each other.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Polygynous posted:

haha drat I forgot about that post. :v:

I remembered it because I recalled responding to it by pointing out that while Eleanor had been explained Jason/Jianyu was still a mystery so something more was at play here.

Of course then they went and hand waved that as a different sort of machine error and it seemed to be all resolved.

We really had no idea

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
http://www.nbc.com/the-good-place/episodes

On NBC's website, all of the episodes are listed as being an "extended cut". Has anyone done a comparison of an episode? I can't imagine it's more than a scene per episode, but even that would be interesting.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Man, I really should have expected this show to take a few pages out of my favorite play (No Exit, for the curious) but somehow I didn't see any of this coming.

Season 2 is gonna be so drat good!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gobbeldygook posted:

http://www.nbc.com/the-good-place/episodes

On NBC's website, all of the episodes are listed as being an "extended cut". Has anyone done a comparison of an episode? I can't imagine it's more than a scene per episode, but even that would be interesting.

I looked at the time for the most recent episode there, it's about 5 minutes longer than the listing for the episode on iTunes.

inthesto posted:

Man, I really should have expected this show to take a few pages out of my favorite play (No Exit, for the curious) but somehow I didn't see any of this coming.

Season 2 is gonna be so drat good!

Hell is other people. I too am a big fan.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
code:
Episode |  Air  | Uncut

1         22:50 / 26:25
2         21:29 / NA
3         21:35 / 25:04
4         21:31 / 22:43
5         21:32 / 26:29
6         21:30 / 26:32
7         21:30 / 24:25
8         21:28 / 25:25
9         21:31 / 25:04
10        21:31 / 23:58
11        21:28 / 26:43
12        21:30 / NA
13        23:50 / 27:05
12/13     45:20 / NA
Each air show has the credits run over the last seconds of the program, whereas the uncut episodes have the credits after the show has concluded. Each credit roll accounts for roughly 45 seconds of extra time (not including the production tags.)

Besides 2, 4, and 12, the episodes have 2-4 minutes of extra footage each. I'm looking forward to watching them soon.

pwn fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jan 24, 2017

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
There was a lot to unpack in this finale.

I love that Real Eleanor turned out to be fake. That was actually foreshadowed at the beginning of the episode. Fake Real Eleanor's alleged cause of death was trying to save Real "Fake" Eleanor, but she was nowhere close.

The girl who played young Eleanor did it quite well.

Does anyone have a high resolution version of the mutual torture relationship graph? Such an MTRG is really handy in daily live. I'd love to see how well they predicted their relationships.

Spreading the four humans out seems like a useless idea. That only means that they can't torture each other and you spend a huge amount of demon resources to achieve very little.

I wonder if the memory wipe actually reset Eleanor's personality to the exact same state she was when she died. The last minute made it really clear that she reacted exactly the same given the same inputs. But I imagine they might do something cheesy where emotional development can't truly be erased. I actually want Eleanor to be exactly as bad as she was at the beginning, since it would be interesting to see how her relationship with the other 3 humans changes, if they meet in a different context.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Wow, so many questions.

How much of that worldbuilding was real? Was Doug Forcett real? Does Michael really see in more than 3 dimensions or was he adding flavor to his performance? Was there a benefit to kicking a dog into the sun and having an actor ask him about her dog, or did Michael just kill one of his employees' pets? Was "pobody's nerfect" a real hit with the crowd, or were they instructed to laugh?

Was the medium place real? It was Janet's idea, after all, and it seemed to be true that Michael and Shawn couldn't track them down.

What's up with the point totals? If point totals were a fiction Michael invented, then why did Eleanor's point total spike when she made her sacrifice? And is Tahani's score actually in the negatives, or is the real point requirement absurdly high? (edit: points are real; they're in Michael's flashback)

Michael's on thin ice with his idea; surely he can't wipe them a second time if it fails. Will season 3 be about them helping Michael to pretend it still works? Maybe whenever the final season is, it could even mirror season 1 by having Eleanor help Michael be good? Except of course Michael seems to be pretty aware of morality and just chooses to be evil. And the idea of them torturing each other seems to be predicated on Eleanor actually fessing up to Chidi.

And on that note, is Chidi really a bad writer? Or are Michael and Shawn just incapable of digesting the idea of being good?

Argue fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jan 20, 2017

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I really loved that final, I thought the big twist was going to be everyone deciding to basically become train-pirates and rebel against how horrible a system like that for the after-world would be but this was way better (and doesn't lock them out of doing that kinda stuff later)

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Mindy (or Mindy's actress, Maribeth Monroe) had so many mannerisms similar to Rob Corddry's, for a second I thought she had to be his (twin) sister.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Argue posted:

And on that note, is Chidi really a bad writer? Or are Michael and Shawn just incapable of digesting the idea of being good?
Remember that his writing reflects his character and his indecisiveness.
If after a thousand pages of of confusingly laid out philosophy the next part begins with "Of course the exact opposite of all of this may also be true." it's fair to say that he's a bad writer. But so was Kant and anyone who disagrees there is delusional.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

cant cook creole bream posted:

Remember that his writing reflects his character and his indecisiveness.
If after a thousand pages of of confusingly laid out philosophy the next part begins with "Of course the exact opposite of all of this may also be true." it's fair to say that he's a bad writer. But so was Kant and anyone who disagrees there is delusional.

Kant is actually pretty intelligible and easy to read when he's not writing about metaphysics.

Everything you know is getting turned upside-down!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
What a great finale. Ted Danson seems to be having so much fun as an architect of torture.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

I'm just really amused that the cocooning thing was them being trolled!

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Awesome finale. Good to know that The Prisoner vibe I was getting all season was not misplaced.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Now all those early season articles about Schur talking to the Lost guys for advice makes a lot more sense.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Argue posted:

Wow, so many questions.

How much of that worldbuilding was real? Was Doug Forcett real? Does Michael really see in more than 3 dimensions or was he adding flavor to his performance? Was there a benefit to kicking a dog into the sun and having an actor ask him about her dog, or did Michael just kill one of his employees' pets? Was "pobody's nerfect" a real hit with the crowd, or were they instructed to laugh?

Was the medium place real? It was Janet's idea, after all, and it seemed to be true that Michael and Shawn couldn't track them down.

What's up with the point totals? If point totals were a fiction Michael invented, then why did Eleanor's point total spike when she made her sacrifice? And is Tahani's score actually in the negatives, or is the real point requirement absurdly high? (edit: points are real; they're in Michael's flashback)

Michael's on thin ice with his idea; surely he can't wipe them a second time if it fails. Will season 3 be about them helping Michael to pretend it still works? Maybe whenever the final season is, it could even mirror season 1 by having Eleanor help Michael be good? Except of course Michael seems to be pretty aware of morality and just chooses to be evil. And the idea of them torturing each other seems to be predicated on Eleanor actually fessing up to Chidi.

I'm just assuming that everything outside of Janet is faked for their benefit including the medium place

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
I don't think the medium place was fake. Janet was the one that told them about it and if she was in on the whole thing there would be no reason to reboot her after they wiped everyone's memory. It makes Janet's arc alot sadder.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, we could speculate that Michael planted Mindy and the information in Janet, but that seems way too convoluted and something Michael would have boasted about. If we assume he was telling the truth that Janet was a neutral party then it stands to reason that anything she did alone with Eleanor, Chidi, Jason, and Tahini without Michael's involvement was on the up and up. The Middle Place, her "murder", whatever. You could probably make the argument that Michael's mistake was Janet since it gave Eleanor and Co a confident resource he had no control over.

I'm terrified this thread is going to turn into Lost/Westword now.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 20, 2017

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

STAC Goat posted:

I'm terrified this thread is going to turn into Lost/Westword now.

At least this show has a go-to excuse if something doesn't make sense: "it was for a joke."

That won't solve all the craziness but it might but a damper on some of it.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
On the other hand, Adam Scott did show up in the tape for the middle place, and he clearly was in on the whole thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
I enjoy being reminded of how juvenile my humor is by things like the Bad Janet fart.

• Locked thread