Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Paramemetic posted:

Except Paramemetic that poster was just terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's to build the suspense, ya goofs

you're supposed to be madly F5ing/turning the pages thinking WHAT ABOUT SMITTY but also stopping to think about how something pretty important has just happened and then remembering WHAT ABOUT SMITTYYYYYYY

ya goofs

-haiku by ArgAdE.C.T.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
And that was the end of the chapter, series and one of the main characters. Hope you enjoyed it.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

it's to build the suspense, ya goofs

OK, but it's still a valid argument to think that it's just not working very well. Like, even if you apply the 'imagine reading it all at once' scenario, it still isn't that great. You'd just be furiously page flipping past this dramatic conclusion of a giant arc because you're more worried about what's happening to the dying character right now.

Even an off panel speech bubble 'we're going to the hospital' *bip* would have delayed that concern well enough to let the reader focus on the Jeanne/Elfman situation.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

And that was the end of the chapter, series and one of the main characters. Hope you enjoyed it.

You made me check.

JT Jag posted:

Stone was a good chapter

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Stone was frustrating at the time but great when read at a regular pace, whereas I think this will still suffer from the same issues it is now.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

BobTheJanitor posted:

Even an off panel speech bubble 'we're going to the hospital' *bip* would have delayed that concern well enough to let the reader focus on the Jeanne/Elfman situation.

That'd be a really jarring interrupt. Chapter 59 saw the two teams together, then splitting up to do their own things. Chapter 60 alternated back and forth between the two teams. It's probable that the events were happening simultaneously or pretty close to it. Now there's no more story for Team Annie. But the chapter hasn't ended and there is still story for Team Smitty. So why would Tom just have someone yell off screen "okay we've teleported to safety" or "oh no Smitty's dead" two pages ago when he could show us what happened on the next upcoming page or two?

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008
I think the better question is: psychopomps know drat well to avoid Jeanne's side of the shore by now. Presumably, it'll take some time for news of her demise to spread among their ranks.

So if Smitty does die, then maybe Annie will be taking one more person into the Ether this night. :ohdear:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Stone was frustrating at the time but great when read at a regular pace, whereas I think this will still suffer from the same issues it is now.

Setting aside four pages to close off one of the comic's longest-running arcs is not going to harm the pacing when that takes thirty seconds to read through.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The right thing to do IMO was to basically shift the whole stuff about Smitty being stabbed until after this section. We could probably have followed Annie from her perspective so that she gets her triumph, then we can have the lurch as we discover at the same time she does how the fight ended up.

"It'll be better once it's printed" isn't a terribly great excuse. For one thing surely GC is a webcomic first and foremost. The number of people who'll read the printed comic without having read it as a webcomic first is tiny, and most webcomic readers won't have read the printed version. If the story doesn't work in the webcomic it won't help to promote the book, so even the argument that Tom should only care about paying customers falls flat. Given Tom's love of having cliffhangers over the weekend break, he sure hasn't given as sign of prioritising the book version over the webcomic version before. But were that an argument, it would be pretty easy for Tom to just say "okay, this next section won't work in a 3/week format, so I'll release this chapter as a batch of a pages instead".

I don't really even agree that the tonal problem *would* be fixed in print. It'd be a lesser problem, but it'll still be there. This sequence of pages is just loving weird:

http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1774
http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1775
http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1776

EDIT: pretty much the only excuse I can think of for how this chapter is structured is if the overwhelming intent is to underline that Annie is a huge rear end in a top hat who considers a hair clip to be more important than her friend.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jan 19, 2017

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016
I'm gonna wait until I've finished reading it before I decide how it should have been written.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

betamax hipster posted:

I'm gonna wait until I've finished reading it before I decide how it should have been written.

See you in ten years then

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Fangz posted:

See you in ten years then

We both know I meant the chapter.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Thinking about it, no way will Annie be the one to guide Smitty into the ether. She forgot to make a final record of Jeanne and elfguy, Smitty's passing will be organized as gently caress.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Whether Smitty survives depends on if his luck takes into account hypothetical severings of the strings. Which might mean this actually could kill him, since if his luck doesn't account for someone severing the threads, then it might not be able to pull circumstances together to save him in time.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
I don't think "pacing" is the right way to describe the problem. The real problem is the emotional whiplash that's been going on the last few pages, mostly caused by Annie's complete poker face. I would also add that the art on these pages isn't...BAD, per se, but it feels remarkably generic for what should be a massive climax. No etheric visions and style shifts anymore - instead we just have three people looking at each other blankly and not caring about the dude bleeding to death offscreen.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I can't wait for this chapter to end so this conversation can also end.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

youcallthatatwist posted:

I don't think "pacing" is the right way to describe the problem. The real problem is the emotional whiplash that's been going on the last few pages, mostly caused by Annie's complete poker face. I would also add that the art on these pages isn't...BAD, per se, but it feels remarkably generic for what should be a massive climax. No etheric visions and style shifts anymore - instead we just have three people looking at each other blankly and not caring about the dude bleeding to death offscreen.

Yeah, this is my main issue with how it's been presented. And I don't see that he can pull out any reasonable "twist" at this point to make this sequence of events as presented in the comic be less jarring. It would have really benefited a lot from cutting from the combat earlier, perhaps after revealing that Jeanne had a main gauche but before Smitty had been stabbed, then coming back to Smitty being grievously injured. This would have the added perk of implying that someone is about to get seriously hurt and forcing a reader to speculate on who it will be or even assume it will be Parley since she was the one fighting.

Add onto that that yeah the art is generic, Annie isn't emoting at all for again what is the emotional climax of the chapter if not the whole comic.

It just kind of missed some key notes for me and I'm not seeing how he can pull out of it. But we'll see.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Shut the hell up about how you want to read the next page, already. It's Gunnerkrigg Court, of course you want to read the next page.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Personally I intend to read the next page tomorrow morning

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Lurdiak posted:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Lurdiak posted:

Not emptyquoting!

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Pomps sliiiide to the left, slide to the right. Get Smitty's soul now y'all.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I have a feeling that the legion of psychopomps probably aren't there for one soul that might cross over as much as the two very powerful souls that just cheated their way into the ether.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

RZApublican posted:

I have a feeling that the legion of psychopomps probably aren't there for one soul that might cross over as much as the two very powerful souls that just cheated their way into the ether.

And the hundreds of souls which no one managed to claim so far (assuming they don't just expire).
Freaking vultures! Annie deserves all of those. Why else do you think she risked other people's lives?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thank you Annie, you did a great job.

Now if you'll just give us their final records...

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

Thank you Annie, you did a great job.

Now if you'll just give us their final records...

Curb Your Enthusiasm Theme plays as Smitty bleeds out

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I like how Kat looks vaguely nonplussed as she starts to notice her ftiend bleeding to death while she fucks around with a robot who is in no danger, merely immobile :v:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He was doing fine til the knife disappeared!

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Lurdiak posted:

I can't wait for Smitty's life to end so this conversation can also end.

FTFY

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Definitely some new psychopomps in the mix there.

I get that you're death guides but do you have to slide out of the nth dimension with glowing eyes like the final boss in a video game?

Also, get ready for Annie to have a conversation with thin air, given how in the past no one other then Annie has been able to see them (and Kat, but only with Annie's help)

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Rude, Jeanne. You mistakenly stab a guy, the least you could do is let him keep the knife. t:mad:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Reene posted:

Yeah, this is my main issue with how it's been presented. And I don't see that he can pull out any reasonable "twist" at this point to make this sequence of events as presented in the comic be less jarring. It would have really benefited a lot from cutting from the combat earlier, perhaps after revealing that Jeanne had a main gauche but before Smitty had been stabbed, then coming back to Smitty being grievously injured. This would have the added perk of implying that someone is about to get seriously hurt and forcing a reader to speculate on who it will be or even assume it will be Parley since she was the one fighting.

Add onto that that yeah the art is generic, Annie isn't emoting at all for again what is the emotional climax of the chapter if not the whole comic.

It just kind of missed some key notes for me and I'm not seeing how he can pull out of it. But we'll see.

I know there's a new page but I think you've really misinterpreted the sequence. There isn't supposed to be any twist, and we are supposed to be going "but what about Smitty? :ohdear:"

What should be a happy, triumphant moment is purposefully undercut by the tension that Smitty got stabbed. We see one set of loves reunited, but it's not intentionally not satisfying because of the cost- that another pair is being torn apart. So... if this was a movie or television show, it'd be playing tense/somber/sad music as Annie guides the ghosts, with I dunno maybe a tiny little hopeful chime of whatever leitmotif they set up for Jeanne as they fade out, but clearly you would be expected to be feeling tense and worried still, not happy and celebratory.

Annie basically just rushed the ghosts out the door- she's not emoting because she's worried about Smitty and because she's 100% focused on Getting The Job Done and because she doesn't want something to gently caress it up and then Smitty's sacrifice would be in vain. We know that she shuts down in emotionally stressful situations as well.

Likewise I think you're mistaken that Jeanne and Elfboy's departure is the climax of the chapter, let alone the comic. Smitty's death is going to be the chapter climax, imo. Also there's still far too much going on in the overall comic to be anywhere close to done, which is also why I never agreed with the folks who said that Jeanne was the main plot and anything not focused on her was side material, but that's not really relevant to the current discussion.

What you proposed would, I think, be kind of crumb. First everyone would still be complaining that Jeanne's dagger was introduced and then did nothing, until the reveal, which would come across more as an 'aha, gotcha!" moment. Just cheap shock factor. The alternative (completely wrap up Smitty before the ghosts) could work, but only if Smitty dies.

like... I'm thinking the next few pages are going to be, essentially, the psychopomps being all 'congratulations!' and Annie like, "no I don't give a poo poo, Smitty's dying!" and them being like, "err, yeah, about that..."

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jan 20, 2017

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
"Antimony, thank you for freeing this lost soul. You truly show potential as a great psych--"

"All y'all can piss off. Parley, beam us up."

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mazerunner posted:

I know there's a new page but I think you've really misinterpreted the sequence. There isn't supposed to be any twist, and we are supposed to be going "but what about Smitty? :ohdear:"

What should be a happy, triumphant moment is purposefully undercut by the tension that Smitty got stabbed. We see one set of loves reunited, but it's not intentionally not satisfying because of the cost- that another pair is being torn apart. So... if this was a movie or television show, it'd be playing tense/somber/sad music as Annie guides the ghosts, with I dunno maybe a tiny little hopeful chime of whatever leitmotif they set up for Jeanne as they fade out, but clearly you would be expected to be feeling tense and worried still, not happy and celebratory.

Annie basically just rushed the ghosts out the door- she's not emoting because she's worried about Smitty and because she's 100% focused on Getting The Job Done and because she doesn't want something to gently caress it up and then Smitty's sacrifice would be in vain. We know that she shuts down in emotionally stressful situations as well.

Likewise I think you're mistaken that Jeanne and Elfboy's departure is the climax of the chapter, let alone the comic. Smitty's death is going to be the chapter climax, imo. Also there's still far too much going on in the overall comic to be anywhere close to done, which is also why I never agreed with the folks who said that Jeanne was the main plot and anything not focused on her was side material, but that's not really relevant to the current discussion.

What you proposed would, I think, be kind of crumb. First everyone would still be complaining that Jeanne's dagger was introduced and then did nothing, until the reveal, which would come across more as an 'aha, gotcha!" moment. Just cheap shock factor. The alternative (completely wrap up Smitty before the ghosts) could work, but only if Smitty dies.

like... I'm thinking the next few pages are going to be, essentially, the psychopomps being all 'congratulations!' and Annie like, "no I don't give a poo poo, Smitty's dying!" and them being like, "err, yeah, about that..."

I'm all for this interpretation of why Kat and Annie look like they are emotionally frozen with "Beep boop that's a pity" faces. I've seen this reaction in real life; who knows until this all wraps up how intentional any of that is.

Was Tom ever in emergency response / services?

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

I legit expect that Annie's going to try to kick all of these psychopomp's butts to buy Smitty time to get to the hospital. Or is that not how this works?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

When has Annie ever sincerely displayed her emotions, anyway?

Other than being drunk on red berries that one time. Or angry. She can do angry.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Inglonias posted:

I legit expect that Annie's going to try to kick all of these psychopomp's butts to buy Smitty time to get to the hospital. Or is that not how this works?
They only show up to claim the soul after the being is already dead

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
"What the gently caress did you do this time, Annie?"

- The afterlife guides, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

When has Annie ever sincerely displayed her emotions, anyway?

Other than being drunk on red berries that one time. Or angry. She can do angry.

When Mort went away. When her dad first apperaed. When she ran into the forest. During Fairaway Morning.
There has been a lot of occasions when she expressed her emotions, she tends to go big on occasin due to her regular restraint.