Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
He can't just drop this poo poo after loving NINE YEARS and then be like oh it was just a twitter poll, oh no. He said he'd have a meeting with two guys who've basically wanted this for a decade and that means it's a-happening, I don't give a gently caress. Is the lady who played Liz Sherman still alive??? who cares, remake her with CGI, Seth McFarlane will reprise his role DO IT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I want it real bad, but Del Toro following through on any project is a rare thing. Hobbits, Mouth of Madness, Pacific Rim 2, ect

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
You know I hated Pacific Rim like it was a plague on my balls so I'm very willing to believe he's finally come back to Hellboy after his sequel was at last, after much wrangling, shut out by all and sundry

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
In my fantasy world GDT catches an HBO Presentation of Pacific Rim one morning and says "oh, I made a terrible mistake" and drops that poo poo and goes back to being the director I believed so much in...?

GoldenGun
Oct 21, 2005

In heaven everything is fine

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Operation Avalanche is pretty solid, even though there's very stiff competition in the moon-landing conspiracy subgenre. It strikes me that it's an actually-good version of Zero Dark Thirty.

Hey SMG, why haven't I read your impression of Assassin's Creed somewhere already?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I love Pacific Rim very much. That's my opinion and have a goooooooood night.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Pacific Rim is a loving garbage fire, it's on a shortlist of movies I actually hate but I'm willing to say that's 80% due to people who acknowledge the fight scenes were poo poo, the cinematography was poo poo, the characters were poo poo and the plot was poo poo but conclude "well, I liked it anyway."

WELL, gently caress YOU.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Guillermo del Toro literally betrayed me when he made Spastic Colon, his terrible condensed anime-that-wasn't-shot-like-an-anime

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Nobody cared about my Live By Night review........ :(

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mostly because it's not about Pacific Rim being awesome.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also I love my IPhone, specially when it wakes me up at 6am to remind me that today is ol's Trump first day as president.

Thanks iPhin!

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I'm still awake because I don't sleep lol

e: LIVE BY NIGHT

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jan 20, 2017

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I'm getting on a boat to Mexico in a few hours and will be without TV/internet for a week, can't wait to see what I'm coming back to :)

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I don't think anyone saw Live By Night to have a conversation with you about it, to be honest.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Pacific Rim is not as good as The Mouse That Roared

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Hot take, the first 35 minutes of Superman IV: Quest for Peace are actually pretty good and a fun precursor to Beavis. But then the mind rape happens and then Superman holds a speech before the UN about how he's had it with mankind's war bullshit and the music is triumphant instead of ominous and everything is just getting progressively worse.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Hundu, do you have a twitter?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Pacific Rim sucks rear end, the characters are so boring that even Idris Elba, Charlie Day, and Rob Perlman can't do anything with them.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
Kids in Shane Black movies are usually pretty good. I subscribe to penismightier's theory that good kid performances are actually just good directing.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

This seems like a good year for a Peter Greenaway retrospective. Would anyone be interested in a thread? Cook Thief and Baby of Macon seem particularly relevant.

Hell yes!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
What are the other essential Greenaway films? I've only seen The Cook The Thief His Wife & Her Lover, but I have A Zed & Two Noughts and Drowning By Numbers on my list as well.

Also, I finished the penultimate episode of the Wire last night, and I'm hoping to squeeze in the finale tonight. Which idea was stupider, Hamsterdam or Jimmy faking a serial killer?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

What are the other essential Greenaway films? I've only seen The Cook The Thief His Wife & Her Lover, but I have A Zed & Two Noughts and Drowning By Numbers on my list as well.

I'd like to know this too, which is why a thread would be great. I've only seen The Cook the Thief His Wife and Her Lover and A Zed and Two Noughts. Cook Thief... is one of my favorite movies.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Cook Thief... was sold to me as grown-up Wes Anderson, and I think that might be why I don't like Anderson all that much. It's a phenomenal movie.

Cannibal

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The only Greenway I've seen was Eisenstein in Guanajuato, and that was one of the best flicks of 2015, so that's essential, I reckon

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hand Knit posted:

Hundu, do you have a twitter?

Not really.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Hat Thoughts posted:

Whst r some easy crafts? Got a lot of free time recently want 2 get into crafts......
A good beginner craft is willing traffic lights to turn green as you and your friends cruise around.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CelticPredator posted:

I want it real bad, but Del Toro following through on any project is a rare thing. Hobbits, Mouth of Madness, Pacific Rim 2, ect

To be fair, The Hobbit was less him getting cold feet and more him getting tired of having to turn down other projects because he needed to wait for MGM to pull itself out of its financial black hole. After two and a half years of "hurry up and wait," I would have hosed off, too.

Skwirl posted:

Do any management goons have advice about firing people? I'm not asking for advice about making sure my company or myself is legally protected from a lawsuit. I'm asking for advice about hypothetically telling someone they can't work for my company any more. Without getting into details they are hypothetically being fired because they are bad enough at there job that it might be dangerous to other people.

1. Do not do this one on one. Make sure someone else in management (ideally HR) is in the room with you and documents everything that is said.

2. Don't sugarcoat it and don't dance around. Just spell things out clearly and concisely. "(Person), after careful consideration it has been decided to terminate your employment, effective immediately."

3. Even though generally speaking someone is usually self-aware enough to know when they're on the brink of termination, they'll still ask why. Have this prepared in writing instead of speaking extemporaneously -- you run the risk of accidentally making it personal and making it feel like it's about the person's character, not their performance.

4. If this is an office / desk environment, speak with IT before your meeting and let them know to disable Internet, file-sharing access, et cetera, during that time.

5. A lot of people like to do stuff like this at 4:30 p.m. on a Friday, in the guise of "giving the person the weekend to digest" or whatever, but that's bullshit. If you're going to terminate someone, rip the Band-Aid off and get it over with in the morning so they can go home, have a good cry, punch a wall, get rip-roaring day drunk, whatever. No matter how incompetent this person is, we're all human beings and deserve to be treated with decency.

The hiring process sucks because it's so long, but the termination process is about ten times more painful because no matter what, you're taking away someone's livelihood. But if they're truly that awful at their job, keep in mind you're doing them a favor.

Timby fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 20, 2017

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

6. Give them a lotto ticket and tell them if they win to think of you when you're sharing the money then wink and say nah, it's all yours.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Snak posted:

One of the things that makes Stranger Things so good is that the child actors aren't terrible!!!

I really really disagree

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Oh well

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yes, 'Welp' Is a Real Word

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/welp-meaning

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

A reminder to KC horror goons: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 is showing tonight at the Alamo Drafthouse, and Joe Bob Briggs will be there in person to host it. It's a 35mm screening. Looks like there's a handful of tickets left.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

I have no problem with that.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
CSpan is currently airing the scariest thing of all time.

broken sm57
Apr 5, 2015

MisterBibs posted:

I didn't expect this. Holy poo poo.

Yes! I was hoping this would happen. Other than that how was the film? I watched unbreakable for the first time a couple weeks ago and loved it, and noticed that on the wiki page M Night alludes to taking a villain from the first draft and making a spin off movie for them. Ever since then I've been fantasizing about a an m night cinematic universe, full of films like unbreakable that are amazing genre films that also serve as critical commentary on genre narratives

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I gotta get back into it. Last time I was regularly on Twitter was like...2010.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Democracy was a mistake.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Democracy was a mistake.

Congress quietly called into session at 10 am, barred media from entering.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Timby posted:

To be fair, The Hobbit was less him getting cold feet and more him getting tired of having to turn down other projects because he needed to wait for MGM to pull itself out of its financial black hole. After two and a half years of "hurry up and wait," I would have hosed off, too.

1. Do not do this one on one. Make sure someone else in management (ideally HR) is in the room with you and documents everything that is said.

2. Don't sugarcoat it and don't dance around. Just spell things out clearly and concisely. "(Person), after careful consideration it has been decided to terminate your employment, effective immediately."

3. Even though generally speaking someone is usually self-aware enough to know when they're on the brink of termination, they'll still ask why. Have this prepared in writing instead of speaking extemporaneously -- you run the risk of accidentally making it personal and making it feel like it's about the person's character, not their performance.

4. If this is an office / desk environment, speak with IT before your meeting and let them know to disable Internet, file-sharing access, et cetera, during that time.

5. A lot of people like to do stuff like this at 4:30 p.m. on a Friday, in the guise of "giving the person the weekend to digest" or whatever, but that's bullshit. If you're going to terminate someone, rip the Band-Aid off and get it over with in the morning so they can go home, have a good cry, punch a wall, get rip-roaring day drunk, whatever. No matter how incompetent this person is, we're all human beings and deserve to be treated with decency.

The hiring process sucks because it's so long, but the termination process is about ten times more painful because no matter what, you're taking away someone's livelihood. But if they're truly that awful at their job, keep in mind you're doing them a favor.

I've never had to do this and hopefully never will, but if I do I intend to follow this sound advice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
glory be to the anarchists in Washington DC today

• Locked thread