Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gunder
May 22, 2003

It was recently pointed out to me that, owing to 7.00, the off-lane is kinda the new safe lane. The close proximity of the shrine, bounty rune, and some jungle camps seems to make the top lane Radiant's best new farming lane, and the opposite for the Dire. Have any carry players here tried this out since 7.00?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Gunder posted:

It was recently pointed out to me that, owing to 7.00, the off-lane is kinda the new safe lane. The close proximity of the shrine, bounty rune, and some jungle camps seems to make the top lane Radiant's best new farming lane, and the opposite for the Dire. Have any carry players here tried this out since 7.00?

There's been a lot of aggro tri-lanes at least.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Gunder posted:

I can tell you that safety on the safe lane feels pretty loving far, amigos

Sven running from a deranged weaver for what seems like in game 400 meters is not safe

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Day9 Purge stream is up

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Looke posted:

Day9 Purge stream is up

I only ever watch DotA, but watching the stream to learn some new things will make watching pros more interesting. It goes into the why and hows of creep pulling, aggro management, support goals and priorities, etc. Good stuff.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Day[9] is apparently 2.2k, which makes me feel slightly better about myself.

And he got stream sniped.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

ElGroucho posted:

I can tell you that safety on the safe lane feels pretty loving far, amigos

Sven running from a deranged weaver for what seems like in game 400 meters is not safe

The forest changeup means you can quell from the t1 to the t2 very safely and quickly. As well as juke any diver pretty easily. Though its also easy to gank from behind the tower too, but thats reaally tryhard.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Looke posted:

Day9 Purge stream is up

he would get better faster if he wasn't listening to purge

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

isnt purge only like 4.5k or something

Kilano
Feb 25, 2006

RisqueBarber posted:

https://www.dotabuff.com/players/66296404

SOLO MMR

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Only 800 more points than Slacks? Shameful.

Looking forward to watching the an archive of the stream later tonight.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

RisqueBarber posted:

He's been like 6k since he went to Korea.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
If you haven't watched 2k Dota in awhile, this is a pretty good representation of it: two teams making poor life choices over and over until one of them wins.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Purge is a master of being completely wrong in tones of assured certainty. Probably every single pro player and at least a half-dozen casters have better Dota sense than him, yet he has this reputation of being some all-knowing oracle.

klaphark
Mar 10, 2013
Nobody's saying purge is the best player, but he might be the best teacher in dota and for a 2k player like Day9 he's fine.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I love purge

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I'm a fan of his righteous, mumbled indignation when someone builds their hero in the "incorrect" manner and ends up getting carried by that player

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I really like that recent tournaments have mostly isolated Purge in his own easily skippable segments, it's really annoying having to listen to him cast and talk endlessly about some mechanic that he's completely wrong about.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

King Pawn posted:

Purge is a master of being completely wrong in tones of assured certainty. Probably every single pro player and at least a half-dozen casters have better Dota sense than him, yet he has this reputation of being some all-knowing oracle.

Purge gets the maths, but not the game. He doesnt get that breaking meta can be a tactical decision that throws the other team off. Whether on purpose or not it can be quite effective at low and mid levels of play because those players dont know how to adapt outside of the meta.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Nasgate posted:

Purge gets the maths, but not the game. He doesnt get that breaking meta can be a tactical decision that throws the other team off. Whether on purpose or not it can be quite effective at low and mid levels of play because those players dont know how to adapt outside of the meta.

If I ignore the meta because I don't know what it is can I win too?

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

purge is my boy and was good at teaching day9 the doto

i learnt a few things as well so the stream was good imo

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Gunder posted:

If I ignore the meta because I don't know what it is can I win too?

Yes. Winning pubs is mostly about keeping your own team stable and the enemy team salty. Mad gamers are bad gamers.

If you gank mid with a non-meta roamer or item, you will cause mass amounts of salt to build up on the opposing team. Double these effects if you all chat "Good game, well played!" Or "?" immediately after the gank.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

pause and ? for maximum effect

Sups
Aug 8, 2007

Jimmy Eat World Hunger

Looke posted:

purge is my boy and was good at teaching day9 the doto

i learnt a few things as well so the stream was good imo

As someone who is between 3 and 4k (I'm like 3580 rn I think) at any time, I thought his philosophy on pulling was interesting. I mean, I knew a lot of this stuff but it was cool to have someone better than me say it.

Basically Purge was instructing D9 to pull as a support (in duo lane) if: you could get away with it and couldn't get a kill or you couldn't bully the offlaner(s) hard. Also he seemed to say double stacks weren't necessarily good (they're greedy) and chain-pulling is better (faster/less time investment required). Also you should use certain nukes on certain double stacks so you can clear your wave and the stacked small camp in the first pull (so you get xp instead of just killing like 1 or 2 creeps and denying the wave).

For me, usually if its a truly awful duo lane in the off going against me and a core I rarely pull - they're pushing the lane into us some and they're threatening our carry with kills and contesting his cs. If I pull this will just open up an opportunity for them to dumpster this guy. Purge seemed to think if you're in a lovely lane you should just pull and optimize xp, force them to either go after you or the carry and bait them into something bad. If it the lane composition your up against is Full Hitler you just leave to help/gank other lanes and tell your core goodluck. SeemsGood

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

jesus vega just threw so hard against c9, blew a 20k networth lead

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

sugar free jazz posted:

jesus vega just threw so hard against c9, blew a 20k networth lead

and now theyre doing it again lol

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.

my bony fealty posted:

and now theyre doing it again lol

Shadow demon illusions won them like 4 fights in a row, and caught them up. What a hero

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Sups posted:

For me, usually if its a truly awful duo lane in the off going against me and a core I rarely pull - they're pushing the lane into us some and they're threatening our carry with kills and contesting his cs. If I pull this will just open up an opportunity for them to dumpster this guy. Purge seemed to think if you're in a lovely lane you should just pull and optimize xp, force them to either go after you or the carry and bait them into something bad. If it the lane composition your up against is Full Hitler you just leave to help/gank other lanes and tell your core goodluck. SeemsGood

If your tower is already getting pushed in, then doing a pull leaves you open to a tower dive on your carry, and as the support you're in a vulnerable position as well.

He's probably right about pulling no matter what at 2k, but at some point players are going to be able to sniff out the pull and punish you hard for it. Trying to chain pull while in a 2v2 lane is a death sentence at your mmr level. You put yourself so far from the tower and are often at a boots disadvantage. Maybe the new map makes it safer, I haven't played since then. The safe thing to do is just pull to the easy camp and make sure you don't get killed when they come to intercept it.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

little munchkin posted:

If your tower is already getting pushed in, then doing a pull leaves you open to a tower dive on your carry, and as the support you're in a vulnerable position as well.

He's probably right about pulling no matter what at 2k, but at some point players are going to be able to sniff out the pull and punish you hard for it. Trying to chain pull while in a 2v2 lane is a death sentence at your mmr level. You put yourself so far from the tower and are often at a boots disadvantage. Maybe the new map makes it safer, I haven't played since then. The safe thing to do is just pull to the easy camp and make sure you don't get killed when they come to intercept it.

Well, he also mentioned about putting a ward in lane so you can make sure you are doing things like pulling and harassing safely.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I think the main point was just find something, anything other than standing there in full view and baby-sitting a brain dead carry.

Kilano
Feb 25, 2006
If i'm playing support and the lane isn't going well, the absolute worst thing I can do is sap exp from the safelane core.

just go gank mid or pull. The safelaner needs to understand that and not put himself in a position to die.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

And if they are too stupid to figure that out, you just have to sac the lane (and them) and hope they can eventually catch up in the jungle.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

do ta pit lan finals kicking off today,

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.
OG vs IG starting soon, having some sort of PC issue though.

https://www.twitch.tv/dotapit

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
streaming a recorded BBC broadcast publicly SeemsGood

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
That was a cool game, but LOL just LOL at losing to burning in 2017

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
playing jakiro vs clockwerk is the ultimate demoralizer

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I successfully made someone abandon a match today by glimpsing them back to base when they TP'd to a tower. Got them with it twice.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
OG are way too eager to gently caress poo poo up this game and now it's biting them in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
jerax fuckin too good

• Locked thread