Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

axeil posted:

maybe...maybe both candidates were bad!!

In the general, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

we didn't start the fire

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

and for axeil's next trick, accusing bernie supporters of being racist by the utterly transparent non-argument of saying that appealing to economic concerns that disproportionally affect minorities is racsexist

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

axeil posted:

[citation needed]. hillary was very popular with democrats and hated by the gop. no proof that the same wouldn't have happened to bernie in a GE scenario.

but sure, let's just keep re-fighting the primary. that's a great use of our time. bernie lost. hillary lost. it's over.

"Would Bernie have won?" is the most important question the party can be asking itself right now. Because the party has to make a choice if they want to stick with the same poo poo that lost them the presidency and over 900 legislative seats across the country, or try the new option of the Bernie wing.

So shut the gently caress up, your time is over.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

#theresistance

https://twitter.com/ebruenig/status/822431556392325120

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

blue squares posted:

"Would Bernie have won?" is the most important question the party can be asking itself right now. Because the party has to make a choice if they want to stick with the same poo poo that lost them the presidency and over 900 legislative seats across the country, or try the new option of the Bernie wing.

So shut the gently caress up, your time is over.
neoliberals would rather have the union break apart than give an inch to progressivism

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
What is Bernie's pained logic for being at the inauguration?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

axeil posted:

[citation needed]. hillary was very popular with democrats and hated by the gop. no proof that the same wouldn't have happened to bernie in a GE scenario.

Hillary was also hated by Independents. They loved Bernie. This is basic poo poo. But mostly I'm responding to this post for this part

quote:

but sure, let's just keep re-fighting the primary. that's a great use of our time. bernie lost. hillary lost. it's over.

Dude, you came into this thread specifically to re-fight the primary. Why is your re-fighting the only good re-fighting? (it's because you're re-fighting in Hillary's favor)

The Nastier Nate posted:

We all know Bernie would have held PA, WI and MI, but what states might have Bernie done worse than Hillary in? He might have lost Nevada, and maaaaybe Virginia in a stretch, but that's it as far as I can tell. I guess what I'm saying is, Bernie would have won.

Reminder that someone unironically argued ITT that Bernie would have done worse than Hillary in states she won in the primary, like California and New York, as though that loving matters in the slightest

mormonpartyboat posted:

i truly believe america woudl ahve aggreeed that the best way to deal with russian involvement in syria is to repeal citizens united

Unironically this. People who are not D&D posters care way more about their own wallets and their own political rights than Russian involvement in Syria. This isn't complicated.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

fits my needs posted:

to express your discontent it is better to perform a symbolic gesture the intended audience won't even notice, instead of looking at that person right in the eye with a knowing stare over already broken campaign promises

are you going to make accusatory remarks at BLM for being at the inauguration? :ironicat:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

fits my needs posted:

What's Hillary's?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

fits my needs posted:

Skipping it won't prevent Trump from becoming president.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

fits my needs posted:

because he's not a pedantic shithead?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

mormonpartyboat posted:

i truly believe america woudl ahve aggreeed that the best way to deal with russian involvement in syria is to repeal citizens united

america, by a wide majority, wants greater cooperation with russia in syria. you're an idiot.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

R. Guyovich posted:

america, by a wide majority, wants greater cooperation with russia in syria. you're an idiot.
it's more likely that we'll have greater cooperation with russia in enriching their oligarchs because our involvement in syria is going to shrink to zero in any case

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

fits my needs posted:

no one from the senate is skipping out for some reason i'm not sure of. everyone ditching has been in the house

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

fits my needs posted:

He's giving him a chance.

quote:

Sanders said he and other progressives will work with Trump “to the degree that [he] is serious about pursuing policies that improve the lives of working families in this country.”

However, if Trump pursues racist, sexist, xenophobic and anti-environment policies, Sanders promises, “we will vigorously oppose him.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bernie-sanders-donald-trump_us_5823b640e4b0e80b02cec30b

He's been talking policy since the election, not Russian hacking pee parties making Trump illegitimate.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Thoguh posted:

Skipping it won't prevent Trump from becoming president.

Okay, so the people that are skipping it are just idiots then and their protest means nothing?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

R. Guyovich posted:

Well I guess that's the second most damning example of democracy's failure that's been brought up today.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

fits my needs posted:

Okay, so the people that are skipping it are just idiots then and their protest means nothing?

Yes.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

fits my needs posted:

BLM is trolling the gently caress out of the inauguration by blocking the main gate, maybe they should have joined them

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

bernie should join j20 but entertaining any fantasy of that is just as bad as expecting hillary to join the women's march

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

*stays out of trump inauguration*

*2 months later signs off on more gently caress-the-poor austerity because all loyal democrats must reach across the aisle*

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

fits my needs posted:

They're not necessarily idiots, but the protest certainly doesn't mean anything

I know I'm not watching it and I wouldn't show up either if I were them but it's not really Sticking It To Trump at all

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Hey everybody, long time listener first time caller. Yeah, I just wanted to say that, y'know, in direct response to whatever that earlier dingbat was saying...uh, well, I mean Bernie would have won. That's all I've got, thanks for listening, love the show.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Nice revisionist history.

i'll illustrate why i bring this up with an example.

during the first debate hillary said the greatest threat to the banking system was shadow banking. this is the system by which non-bank entities act as banks and is absurdly risky and dangerous to our economic system. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_banking_system

wikipedia posted:

Shadow banking has grown in importance to rival traditional depository banking, and was a primary factor in the subprime mortgage crisis of 2007-2008 and the global recession that followed.[3][4][5] Valerio Lemma, an associate professor of Banking Law who consults on regulatory compliance, argues that the lack of regulatory supervision of the shadow banking system is a market failure.[6]

bernie didn't even know what it was and instead talked about bringing back glass-steagal which would have had minimal impact on even preventing the 08 crisis much less stopping future ones. this was a repeated problem with his campaign as people would ask questions like "how would we pay for this/what would be the impacts" and the response was a shrug.

the bernie wing (for lack of a better term) is all stuff that sounds good optically but might not actually do anything ala his comments on glass-steagal. unfortunately the hillary wing won't focus enough on the need for people to, ya know, like the candidate and/or the policy even if the stuff they propose sounds good, ala her comments on shadow banking. or worse, they come up with stuff that is effective but doesn't really generate any enthusiasm in either direction.

i'd prefer something that actually worked instead of something giving me good feelings and ultimately changing nothing. but if the best policy in the world is proposed by satan it doesn't matter, because no one will vote for it.

the stances of the candidates from last year doesn't matter anymore but it appears the party direction is coalescing around these two points as a matter of speech. i only bring up the primary as an example of what i'm talking about. what i'm hoping is that as the party moves forward i hope they commit to doing things that are actually meaningful rather than doing whatever makes leftist twitter or tumblr or w/e happy but ultimately not changing anything. even if i don't like what they propose, i hope they propose stuff that actually changes things rather than just chasing whatever feels good. raging against the heavens and accomplishing no policy changes doesn't do anyone any good, except feeding the ego of the people raging at the heavens.

tl;dr: both "wings" of the party need to ensure that whatever they do in the next 2 years, they're proposing effective policy that is well thought out.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

MizPiz posted:

Well I guess that's the second most damning example of democracy's failure that's been brought up today.

it's hosed up people don't think the way i want them to think

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

axeil posted:

shadow banking stuff

bernie's comments make more sense when you realize that his positions had nothing to do with preventing risk on wall street and everything to do with pursuing the ideological goal of breaking their political power

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I remember shadow banking as that thing HRC deflected to constantly whenever anyone asked her if she thinks the big banks should be broken up or bankers should have been prosecuted in 2009. I wasn't impressed then and I'm not impressed now that the same poo poo is being C&Ped at me by a guy with an Eagles avatar.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

loquacius posted:

I remember shadow banking as that thing HRC deflected to constantly whenever anyone asked her if she thinks the big banks should be broken up or bankers should have been prosecuted in 2009. I wasn't impressed then and I'm not impressed now that the same poo poo is being C&Ped at me by a guy with an Eagles avatar.

she did that to my face lol. she also deflected to obama taking wall street money when that subject came up

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://mobile.twitter.com/ShopFloorNAM/status/822451875635142656

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Concerned Citizen posted:

bernie's comments make more sense when you realize that his positions had nothing to do with preventing risk on wall street and everything to do with pursuing the ideological goal of breaking their political power

but re-separating commercial and investment banking wouldn't do that either. if anything it would end up creating more financial entities and the investment entities would be even riskier than a megabank is today.

probably the most effective strategy for de-risking the whole system is implementing some form of shadow banking regulation, requiring much larger capital reserves, and capping the overall size of a financial institution at some percent of total financial system assets to prevent too big to fail.

"breaking their political power" would be a long and arduous process and probably take numerous years and require a lot of other things i'm not even considering here.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

can you just leap off whatever financial institution you work for?

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

axeil posted:

this was a repeated problem with his campaign as people would ask questions like "how would we pay for this/what would be the impacts" and the response was a shrug.

the bernie wing (for lack of a better term) is all stuff that sounds good optically but might not actually do anything

Yes, but the winner of the election was Donald Trump so that doesn't sound like much of a problem with this general electorate.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

axeil posted:

but re-separating commercial and investment banking wouldn't do that either. if anything it would end up creating more financial entities and the investment entities would be even riskier than a megabank is today.

probably the most effective strategy for de-risking the whole system is implementing some form of shadow banking regulation, requiring much larger capital reserves, and capping the overall size of a financial institution at some percent of total financial system assets to prevent too big to fail.

"breaking their political power" would be a long and arduous process and probably take numerous years and require a lot of other things i'm not even considering here.
so how would this help the common man in ways other than "being a circle jerk of money exchange among elites"

and you haven't picked up your burger yet

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

can you just leap off whatever financial institution you work for?

a "kill yourself" post. nice.

i can make condescending posts too! can you go get a job?

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

so how would this help the common man in ways other than "being a circle jerk of money exchange among elites"

and you haven't picked up your burger yet

-shadow banking regulation prevents "secret" banks from existing that are unseen by regulators. if you can't see the financial activity you can't do anything to prevent it from randomly taking out institutions and leaving people jobless/homeless/etc or causing contagion

-more capital means the bank has more emergency reserves to burn through when times are bad and this works in conjunction with

-size regulations stop too big to fail as there wouldn't be any institutions left that are "systemically important" except for maybe processing shops but those are a different thing

when you don't have the volatility and consolidation in the system you don't have to worry about banks going down and taking people's savings with them. once you have those patches you can do a lot more like:

-expanding access to government programs for low/no credit borrowers or low income borrowers
-reforming the entire student loan system to not be absolutely insane for all parties borrowers and lenders alike
-forcing all lenders to consider loan modifications before foreclosure actions can be taken
-end credit checks as something an employer can ask for to give you a job
-etc

this is just me thinking off the top of my head and there's no reason you couldn't do all these at once

axeil has issued a correction as of 17:02 on Jan 20, 2017

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

R. Guyovich posted:

it's hosed up people don't think the way i want them to think

You do realize Russia is basically responsible for most of Syria's bullshit, right? They're basically Assad's sugar daddy at this point.

zegermans posted:

There is literally only one candidate worth supporting in any political race in the country, and I discovered that he exists 1.5 years ago. His name is Bernie Sanders, and he would have won.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

There is literally only one candidate worth supporting in any political race in the country, and I discovered that he exists 1.5 years ago. His name is Bernie Sanders, and he would have won.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

MizPiz posted:

You do realize Russia is basically responsible for all Syria bullshit, right? They're basically Assad's sugar daddy at this point.

lol

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

zegermans posted:

not a bad post for your cat

I think you should give her your computer forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Neurolimal posted:

CC isn't really that bad. It's just that a lot of ill will in C-SPAM festered until election night, and when it blew most other pro-Hillary posters were either banned or had fled to USPOL (and poo poo it up so bad that it exploded into 5 threads lmao).

They deserve some cred for actually being willing to post in C-Spam without some lovely "I've already decided you're bigoted" attitude that has been popular recently.

Yeah CC is a party insider but at least a little bit woke, I see axeil has been jockeying for a position on the list

• Locked thread