Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

kill me now posted:

35mpg out of a 4cyl midsized sedan on the highway isn't all that special these days.

I get 35+ in my GTI all the time on the highway. so, yeah, that doesn't seem very spectacular to me either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

tijag posted:

I get 35+ in my GTI all the time on the highway. so, yeah, that doesn't seem very spectacular to me either.

I used to get ~34mpg out of my Optima SX with the 2.0t engine on the highway.

butterbar
Dec 14, 2016
If I'm posting while Quick Draw McGraw is on probation report me for my permaban!

tijag posted:

A gti isn't a midsize sedan though?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Hey I'm used to 25, don't judge.

Also I think the average was just under 37 after 5 hours of driving.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm going to be the only guy who buys the turbo 6 Kia sedan.

They should give me money or something.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

euphronius posted:

I'm definitely getting one.

An AWD V6TT lift-back does all sorts of things to my private bits.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I just got 18mpg in a wrangler. I still want one.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

tijag posted:

Is this like "my corvette gets 30+mpg on the highway" (read: 20mpg mixed) or does it get legitimately good fuel economy?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

euphronius posted:

If I'm forbidden from getting a coupe next time I'm car shopping I'll be seriously considering it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

oRenj9 posted:

Is this like "my corvette gets 30+mpg on the highway" (read: 20mpg mixed) or does it get legitimately good fuel economy?

I'm also curious if this is legit MPG or what the computer says.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I'm also curious if this is legit MPG or what the computer says.

I don't know about the gti but I've got an Optima with the 2.0t and it sure as hell doesn't get 34mpg on the highway. If it's a really flat area the computer will say 34 but it's always 1.5-2.5mpg off of reality.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
What is highway for you too? 35mpg in 60mph traffic bumper to bumper or 75-85mph nobody around you in texas?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
For what it's worth, my 2008 GTI gets worse mileage than what the dash says. Sustained interstate driving it might claim 35+ (in the right weather with no AC) but I think the absolute highest I've measured for a tank with predominantly that type of driving is like 33.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

david_a posted:

For what it's worth, my 2008 GTI gets worse mileage than what the dash says. Sustained interstate driving it might claim 35+ (in the right weather with no AC) but I think the absolute highest I've measured for a tank with predominantly that type of driving is like 33.

Well I mean, that makes sense obviously. The instantaneous MPG while on a flat and level highway is always going to be at least slightly higher than the average on a tank because a flat and level highway is literally the most efficient possible surface for an ICE car except downhill.

In other news my dumbass Fiesta has average MPG available on the trip computer, which can be reset at any time, but no way to view instantaneous MPG.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 20, 2017

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

My 3 with the 2.5 averages 30 mpg, probably 70/30 city/highway. I have a pretty heavy foot too. The motor and auto tranny feel great too.

It's the first car I've owned where I haven't gotten bored within two years.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
My car gets 22mpg in pure freeway cruising. :(

But its not a 4 pot midsize sedan, either.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Rwd is back, from Hyundai and Kia

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

So that new Honda C-HR popped up on my facebook feed so I took the opportunity to ask how much the obscenely huge headlights are to replace on it. At first one of their media team seemed more than happy to find out for me, a few days passed and I prodded them again only to get the following answer:

quote:

The price of parts varies around the country due to franchised dealer networks. All parts, lights included are covered by the warranty in case of manufacturer fault. If you had an accident (made less likely by our Safety Sense suite of software) you'd be covered by insurance. We can't think why a light unit would otherwise need replacing as it is designed to last the lifetime of the car.

Let's try and avoid the question eh? Eventually I talked them round, accusing them of having something to hide :v:

quote:

light replacement in the UK for our top grade C-HR would come to £483.55. This compares favourably with other manufacturers.

That's each of course. Ouch.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

So that new Honda C-HR popped up on my facebook feed so I took the opportunity to ask how much the obscenely huge headlights are to replace on it. At first one of their media team seemed more than happy to find out for me, a few days passed and I prodded them again only to get the following answer:

Let's try and avoid the question eh? Eventually I talked them round, accusing them of having something to hide :v:

That's not bad, I had a single taillight broken on my base-ish 2013 V6 Mustang and insurance paid a parts cost of a little more than $1k for just the single taillight assembly, was about a $4k repair in total.

$1k taillights in a $20k car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Olympic Mathlete posted:

are you talking about the Toyota C-HR?

That price sounds fairly standard for modern non-HID headlights. HID complete assemblies are quite a bit more expensive.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

That's not bad, I had a single taillight broken on my base-ish 2013 V6 Mustang and insurance paid a parts cost of a little more than $1k for just the single taillight assembly, was about a $4k repair in total.

$1k taillights in a $20k car.

That's how you can total a car by backing into a light pole in a parking lot at 5 mph.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Christobevii3 posted:

What is highway for you too? 35mpg in 60mph traffic bumper to bumper or 75-85mph nobody around you in texas?

I'd say in between, like 65-70 cruising for the mileage i mentioned. Normally its significantly less, but that's more like 70-75 in hectic D.C. beltway scenarios, slowing down for left lane blockers and maneuvering around.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Brand new OEM Tail lights for my 20 year old Nissan were $900Aud

For some reason plastic housing and rubber gaskets are expensive.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Laserface posted:

Brand new OEM Tail lights for my 20 year old Nissan were $900Aud

For some reason plastic housing and rubber gaskets are expensive.

Because gently caress you, pay me I guess

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I just replaced two tail lights and bulbs for $90 US on amazon, not OEM though.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The body shop my GTI is at quoted my headlights at $300 a piece. I think they ordered halogens at that price... They said they order off the VIN so maybe the price on OEM lighting package lights has gone down? I'm gonna make them send me a picture before I go 700 miles to pick it up and it has loving halogens on it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

fknlo posted:

The body shop my GTI is at quoted my headlights at $300 a piece. I think they ordered halogens at that price... They said they order off the VIN so maybe the price on OEM lighting package lights has gone down? I'm gonna make them send me a picture before I go 700 miles to pick it up and it has loving halogens on it.

They might have ordered aftermarket or used, depending on their part replacement policy.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
LED headlights on BMW's cost like 3.2 to 4.5 grand a piece, and that isn't even on M cars. Good thing you have to replace the whole assembly if something goes wrong with it :haw:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

They might have ordered aftermarket or used, depending on their part replacement policy.

All OEM and new according to them. I find any used or aftermarket parts and we'll have issues. I told them that price wasn't right for the correct lights, we'll see what happens!

In other new car related stuff, I got a Jeep Renegade rental yesterday. Not great, but worlds better than the Dart I drove back from Colorado. I thought it was odd that it didn't have stereo controls on the steering wheel until I discovered them while trying out manual mode on the transmission as it went to redline in 1st. The back side of the steering wheel seems like a really dumb place to put stereo controls, does anyone else do that?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Nodoze posted:

LED headlights on BMW's cost like 3.2 to 4.5 grand a piece, and that isn't even on M cars. Good thing you have to replace the whole assembly if something goes wrong with it :haw:

Christ
I could probably fab something twice as strong as whatever there is on there with that price. And then make 20 of it.

Besides the LEDs shouldnt burn out unless they put a bargain bin circuit behind it.

Lrn2rench or pay I guess.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 21, 2017

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Dang, and I thought the adaptive xenon housing for $900 was expensive on my E46.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Christ
I could probably fab something twice as strong as whatever there is on there with that price. And then make 20 of it.

Besides the LEDs shouldnt burn out unless they put a bargain bin circuit behind it.

Lrn2rench or pay I guess.

How many lights do you think need to be replaced because they burn out vs. getting broken

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

How many lights do you think need to be replaced because they burn out vs. getting broken

Or stolen

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

fknlo posted:

All OEM and new according to them. I find any used or aftermarket parts and we'll have issues. I told them that price wasn't right for the correct lights, we'll see what happens!

In other new car related stuff, I got a Jeep Renegade rental yesterday. Not great, but worlds better than the Dart I drove back from Colorado. I thought it was odd that it didn't have stereo controls on the steering wheel until I discovered them while trying out manual mode on the transmission as it went to redline in 1st. The back side of the steering wheel seems like a really dumb place to put stereo controls, does anyone else do that?

Chrysler, and Jeep in particular, have been doing that for ages. My Dad's 02 GC overland had those radio controls on the back of the wheel.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

BloodBag posted:

Chrysler, and Jeep in particular, have been doing that for ages. My Dad's 02 GC overland had those radio controls on the back of the wheel.

Had a rental Impala with volume and tuning controls on the back of the wheel. 2013? 2014, maybe? It kind of made sense based on where my fingers rested on the wheel, but it took a while to find them.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

2017 f-250/f-350 2wds are still twin i-beam front suspension :psyduck:

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

butterbar posted:

A gti isn't a midsize sedan though?

I think the weight of both cars is roughly the same at around 3200lbs? Also I frequently average 39-42 mpg on the highway depending on traffic and the direction I'm heading. Anyways, I think smallish car MPGs are just pretty good on most modern new cars.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BloodBag posted:

My '03 Mini had controls on the back of the steering wheel.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BloodBag posted:

Yep, pretty sure all WJs had them.

As a Chrysler-product owner, they're fine. But my first experience with these was a in a rental Caravan, and as a renter they loving suck unless you already own a Chrysler product with them. No labeling of any sort anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Powershift posted:

2017 f-250/f-350 2wds are still twin i-beam front suspension :psyduck:

I think the vast majority of people who buy 2WD F250s and F350s are just fleet buyers. They are only interested in the accounting. They want a cheap truck every 5 years. Twin I-beam is cheap and simple. Even for the slightly technologically inclined, it sounds great in marketing, going well with BUILT FORD TOUGH! Ford gets to just laugh while they make the same old truck for 50 years straight and make tons of profit on it anyway.

So what if it tears up tires, can't stay in alignment, wonders all over the road. The peons on the front line deal with that not the buyers. Then we get to laugh at them for having to replace the tires after only 20k.