Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/spurs/status/822293821954420738?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=74X6L0f1sMk
Perfect timing. Got some fun rookies on the Spurs this season
There's no way we're keeping Party Mills though, is there? :( feels like some team is gonna throw a contract at him. Not sure how long Tony Parker can keep it up though, his decent season aside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Watching him play, this makes a lot of sense
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/12dayschristmas4/dejounte-murray-biggest-mentor-jamal-crawford

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Players are dumb, just like the media, just like the fans. I am glad to see the complete lists though. As if Draymond needed another reason to annihilate some ballsacks.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I hate basketball

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Everyone is dumb about basketball except for me.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
All-stars should be selected by lottery. It's elitist to only give players who arbitrarily score points or get rebounds (which is based on many factors, not just skill) recognition like that.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
The all stars should be decided by Magic Johnson on a one hour solo talk show special where he breaks down exactly why he chose each player with powerpoint slides

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Nobody should care about All stars because it's solely an opportunity for good players to risk injury or embarrassment with no possible benefit to the team. Old man rant over.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Has anyone ever been injured in an asg.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

euphronius posted:

Yes, but more importantly it's time spent playing when players could be resting and recuperating from prior injuries received in games that matter.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

dokmo posted:

Nobody should care about All stars because it's solely an opportunity for good players to risk injury or embarrassment with no possible benefit to the team. Old man rant over.

They seem to have fun in the game and it's probably nice for them to relax a bit.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Sure they may like it, but the team doesn't benefit.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

euphronius posted:

There was that time that wade broke Kobe's face

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

dokmo posted:

Sure they may like it, but the team doesn't benefit.

You don't think that the morale of your best players being improved by being selected might have a positive effect that outweighs some light jogging and chucking? I would think around the middle of the season would be the perfect time to put a smile on the big boys faces

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

My experience is that players want to be voted into the all star game but would prefer to rest and not play. This may not be universal.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

dokmo posted:

My experience is that players want to be voted into the all star game but would prefer to rest and not play. This may not be universal.

It's gotta be the worst for someone like Damian Lillard, who wants more than anything to be voted in and gets forced to rest. Repeatedly. Bahah

e: Just checked Lillards stats and he's shooting under 35% from 3, what happened there?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Maybe a little bit of column A and a little bit of column B? CJ is a really nice guy and Paul is a dickpuncher.

Yeah Paul plays dirty and generally seems like a grumpy dude. Also McCollumn hits a lot of tough shots and players tend to overrate guys who can do that. We have have several decades of former players being terrible at analyzing basketball on TV that should show you that they are not exactly infallible.

dokmo posted:

I would generally agree but it plays into their contracts and stuff like hall of fame voting so pretty sure they care about at least making the team. Obviously they do not really care too much about the actual game outside of maybe the last couple minutes if it's close. They could probably just name a team, do all the fun Saturday night stuff and skip the actual game

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 20, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Players also might not like how he rewarded himself in the cba ?

Who knows. We don't even know who filled out the players ballots.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
This is why CJ got more votes than Chris Paul

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I'm going to assume a not insignificant portion of players filled out joke ballots. Like there is no way that most players think Zaza is an all star, but I'm assuming a ton of guys who don't give a gently caress voted for him because he was so high in the fan voting and they thought it was funny.

I'd also assume a not insignificant portion of players just voted for the best 5 players on their own teams.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

euphronius posted:

Probably the players

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Only 324 voted!

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Lol Chris Paul did not reward himself in the new CBA

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

euphronius posted:

You may well be right, but I don't know how someone could look at how this CBA played out, look at how the last CBA played out, and be mad.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
I want a detailed breakdown of the player's vote. Who got the ballot and immediately thew it in the trash? Who thoughtfully filled out the ballot to the best of their abilities? Who just put the 5 best players on their team? Who just put the 5 worst???

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

dokmo posted:

Yes, but more importantly it's time spent playing when players could be resting and recuperating from prior injuries received in games that matter.

The regular season doesn't matter though :confused:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I laughed at this:

https://twitter.com/MarshawnLynch24/status/822254366300270593?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

e: Note: not the real Marshawn. Still funny, doe.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Sheriff posted:

I want a detailed breakdown of the player's vote. Who got the ballot and immediately thew it in the trash? Who thoughtfully filled out the ballot to the best of their abilities? Who just put the 5 best players on their team? Who just put the 5 worst???

Who smoked their ballot?

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

The ASG is about getting dates with Rihanna

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

dokmo posted:

This what Jalen Rose said also.

I don't know if Westbrook cares, but he definitely thinks he's better than Curry, and he got confirmation from his peers in overwhelming fashion, so atleast he got that.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I just found out that the Wolves actually won last night and looked at the box score to see that Tyus got a bunch of minutes in the second half.

#freetyus

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
We should adopt the idea of the asg being an 8 team 3on3 competition.

Top 8 vote getters are the captains, and they pick the teams live as the first event of the festivities. All the players a stand in a ring on the court playground style with the captains standing evenly spaced on the edge of the court. Each captain has small section of handpicked fans behind them. Each player obviously gets to choose their music clip and highlight reel for whenever they get picked and get 20s to bound around the court and high five their captain/trash talk other captains/fans.

All the while, the captains social media feeds about who they're going to pick and whatever smack they've been talking scrolls on the jumbotrons. It's a snake draft with the first round going in order of who got the most votes. The first interview is with the player who gets picked last asking him how he feels.

Also it's 10 minute full court 3on3, leading to more dunks (4th coolest thing in basketball), more coast to coast dunks (3rd coolest thing) and more chase down blocks (2nd coolest).

Any suggestions to increase the number of putback dunks (obviously the coolest thing) gratefully received.

Maybe also each team can have a wildcard where they force the other team to sub in a celebrity for two minutes to allow Russ to endlessly dunk on Justin Bieber.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

IcePhoenix posted:

I just found out that the Wolves actually won last night and looked at the box score to see that Tyus got a bunch of minutes in the second half.

#freetyus

Yeah whenever I watch the Wolves I wonder why Dunn is getting minutes over Tyus, then I saw that Lowe article about how the Wolves are looking for a transition PG to set up Dunn as the guy of the future.

I guess it's because Tyus looks like a twig and takes a lot of lovely shots, but he just looks better with the ball in his hands than Dunn. Way better at feeding the big 3 too.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Crazy Ted posted:

Kenny Smith is saying the Wolves are a much better team with either Kris Dunn or Tyus Jones at PG than Ricky Rubio.

As if it wasn't completely obvious that he does not watch any basketball games which don't involve marquee teams.

The numbers back up the Tyus comment (see any post by IcePheonix), but Tyus doesn't get many minutes so its more of a question of "Is Tyus good or is the sample small?" Right now his numbers and lineup production indicate he is a pretty good backup, while Ricky is decent-to-good starter.

Kris Dunn's lineups are all pretty bad, and he plays with starters frequently. The team is objectively worse when he plays. He's a rookie (though an old one), but no. They are not better when he plays.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Dunn is sunk costs, they're not the kings and gonna abandon their pick 2 months in

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

My Tyus posts are all overdone because A: It's fun and B: I legit just want to see what happens if he actually gets minutes.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think throwing more playing time at a bad rookie doesn't fix the rookie.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Tae posted:

Dunn is sunk costs, they're not the kings and gonna abandon their pick 2 months in

I don't think they should abandon their pick, but they also shouldn't abandon their good PG for their sunk cost either.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Cant believe the night I go out drinking AFK I mis the all star meltdowns.

I don't really care so much. I would've loved to see an all raptors back court but if the fans wanna see Kyrie they should see him, he does cool poo poo too. Feel bad for Westbrook too but I'm sure he'll get as many minutes as Curry and probably win the MVP.

Just sad I missed the part where you guys dunked on someone so hard he never wants to post again.

Lastly, MorningView was a great mod who never banned me for poo poo posting about the refs or for rage posting about Dwayne Casey.

BWV fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Juaguocio posted:

Someone already mentioned By Any Means Basketball, but they did a LeBron video where they specifically talk about his excellent biomechanics (starting at around 11:40): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI47Ble9ajw

That injury video was nice. Wouldn't it be great if mainstream basketball Analysis was stuff like this and not "Is Von Wafer an Alpha Dawg

BWV posted:

I don't really care so much. I would've loved to see an all raptors back court but if the fans wanna see Kyrie they should see him, he does cool poo poo too. Feel bad for Westbrook too but I'm sure he'll get as many minutes as Curry and probably win the MVP.

Just sad I missed the part where you guys dunked on someone so hard he never wants to post again.

Lastly, MorningView was a great mod who never banned me for poo poo posting about the refs or for rage posting about Dwayne Casey.

BWV posted:

MV is great and he's done such a good job that there probably isnt much moderation to do in this thread. We disagree, we make fun of pantsfreezone, we try to back up our half formed theories with esoteric snippets of memory. there are other places to post about basketball on the world wide web but none compare to NBA NV. We have our nice venn diagram of stat,s stats plus real sscouting, gut hunch, insane rantings, bashez's adorable persecution complex, my groundbreaking theoriees that someone already thought of 15 years ago, I really enjoy it

Sorry for all the typos, I'm getting eye surgery in a few days and can only sort of see

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 20, 2017

• Locked thread