Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

R. Guyovich posted:

america, by a wide majority, wants greater cooperation with russia in syria. you're an idiot.

#woah #wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

i give tater garlicpads and corncobbed citizen some credit for actually learning something

i can't wait until they both come to the final lesson: "realpolitik is dead"

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

now i want some garlic mashed potatoes with some green beans and salisbury steak

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

some person: "maybe the democrats should finally move left. and reconnect with unions and the civil rights movement"

creature lacking sapience: "RACSEXIST! :byodood:"

piece of poo poo with enough money and assets to be set for life: "that speaking amoeba is right, economic leftism is just a kinder way of saying 'we must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children' :smug:"

I how do put a person on ignore?

tired of this loving moron's delusional nonsense

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
lol if you think i've learned anything, or ever will learn anything

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Race Realists posted:

you can't ignore yourself

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Race Realists posted:

click on the profile button under their post and go to the bottom

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Race Realists posted:

I think "how do I put a person on ignore?" might be the most self-owning attempt at a burn I've ever seen on this website

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

also this

Serf
May 5, 2011

your honor, i have never learned

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Concerned Citizen posted:

lol if you think i've learned anything, or ever will learn anything
you learned that hillary's campaign was actually..... bad. that's something right

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
i always knew hillary's campaign was bad. i mentioned before itt that i was employed by them for several months pre-iowa and quit because i felt screaming at the void was going to take several years off my life

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Shinjobi posted:

Hey everybody, long time listener first time caller. Yeah, I just wanted to say that, y'know, in direct response to whatever that earlier dingbat was saying...uh, well, I mean Bernie would have won. That's all I've got, thanks for listening, love the show.

A+++ call, would listen again.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Concerned Citizen posted:

i always knew hillary's campaign was bad. i mentioned before itt that i was employed by them for several months pre-iowa and quit because i felt screaming at the void was going to take several years off my life
well you had faith for a while and now you don't, i consider that learning

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

axeil posted:

there is no evidence bernie would've held those states. taking it as an assumption is a non-trivial statement. show your work.

Hillary = Bad
Bernie = Good

QED

or to be more specific, apathetic black Obama voters who turned out in 08/12 would have turned out in the same numbers (lovely numbers) for Bernie as Hillary, while Bernie would have peeled off enough rural whites to win. Hell maybe Bernie would have even picked up Ohio.

Florida was a lost cause as Trump is the most Floridian man to ever run for president, including Jeb Bush.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
hillary lost florida for the same reason she lost pa, mi, and wi - a collapse among rural/suburban whites, many of whom typically vote democratic. fixing the issue that lost those 3 states would have also won florida imo

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

there was racism in trump's campaign. if you think Im (and many, many others are) saying this is sole reason people voted for him, you are wrong (you'd realize this if you pulled your White Fragility out your rear end for one second)

but please scream more about
:byodood:EDDPOLE:byodood:

NO WAR BUT CLASS WAR

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

axeil posted:

i'll illustrate why i bring this up with an example.

during the first debate hillary said the greatest threat to the banking system was shadow banking. this is the system by which non-bank entities act as banks and is absurdly risky and dangerous to our economic system. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_banking_system

bernie didn't even know what it was and instead talked about bringing back glass-steagal which would have had minimal impact on even preventing the 08 crisis much less stopping future ones. this was a repeated problem with his campaign as people would ask questions like "how would we pay for this/what would be the impacts" and the response was a shrug.

the bernie wing (for lack of a better term) is all stuff that sounds good optically but might not actually do anything ala his comments on glass-steagal. unfortunately the hillary wing won't focus enough on the need for people to, ya know, like the candidate and/or the policy even if the stuff they propose sounds good, ala her comments on shadow banking. or worse, they come up with stuff that is effective but doesn't really generate any enthusiasm in either direction.

i'd prefer something that actually worked instead of something giving me good feelings and ultimately changing nothing. but if the best policy in the world is proposed by satan it doesn't matter, because no one will vote for it.

the stances of the candidates from last year doesn't matter anymore but it appears the party direction is coalescing around these two points as a matter of speech. i only bring up the primary as an example of what i'm talking about. what i'm hoping is that as the party moves forward i hope they commit to doing things that are actually meaningful rather than doing whatever makes leftist twitter or tumblr or w/e happy but ultimately not changing anything. even if i don't like what they propose, i hope they propose stuff that actually changes things rather than just chasing whatever feels good. raging against the heavens and accomplishing no policy changes doesn't do anyone any good, except feeding the ego of the people raging at the heavens.

tl;dr: both "wings" of the party need to ensure that whatever they do in the next 2 years, they're proposing effective policy that is well thought out.

I looked up shadow banking as well during that first debate since I didn't know what it was either. The banking regulatory system is complicated and imo it's ok if the president doesn't have intimate knowledge of it. Bringing back "glass-steagal" as it was written would probably not do anything correct the failings of the banking system that caused the crash of 2007, but he is using it as a rhetorical device. He wants to strengthen banking regulations that would include Shadow Banking, not literally just recreate "Glass-Steagal."

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Race Realists posted:

White Fragility
everyone who disagrees with me is white, even if they are chinky gook with a hint of mexican

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Race Realists posted:

there was racism in trump's campaign. if you think Im (and many, many others are) saying this is sole reason people voted for him, you are wrong (you'd realize this if you pulled your White Fragility out your rear end for one second)

but please scream more about
:byodood:EDDPOLE:byodood:

NO WAR BUT CLASS WAR
also this is a jack-in-the-box

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Ed.....Balls?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

i hear people like race realists also like to brand people as "honorary whites" for not demanding more black billionaires i wonder if they'll do that next

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Race Realists, can you please tell me what your Deal is because as far as I can tell you come here to repost Trumpist tweets and complain about people caring too much about :byodood:ECPOL:byodood:

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo1VInw-SKc

just a lil video to listen to this fine morning. little known. one of the greatest songs of all time imo.. really inspiring

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

loquacius posted:

Race Realists, can you please tell me what your Deal is because as far as I can tell you come here to repost Trumpist tweets and complain about people caring too much about :byodood:ECPOL:byodood:
according to their post history, campaigning to prevent minorities from being evicted by predatory banks that give rear end pennies to money-laundering "nonprofit" org with a progresssive sounding name is racsexism

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
The fact that Hillary is going to the inauguration instead of making a stand or protesting or whatever is a delicious footnote to how lovely she was in general.

Like, I don't get why lots of democrats still hold on to things like propriety, we no longer live in an age where anything matters anymore so lol why bother with customs and traditions when the beneficiary doesn't give a gently caress either ways?

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Hey, anyone have that Thomas Frank quote about the media lamenting the partisan divide?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Al-Saqr posted:

The fact that Hillary is going to the inauguration instead of making a stand or protesting or whatever is a delicious footnote to how lovely she was in general.

Like, I don't get why lots of democrats still hold on to things like propriety, we no longer live in an age where anything matters anymore so lol why bother with customs and traditions when the beneficiary doesn't give a gently caress either ways?

I'm blown away she even bothered showing her face.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
let's all listen to smash mouth

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Al-Saqr posted:

I'm really more upset at the people who insist that she's the type who'll spurn those traditions and institutions because she truly cares about Doing The Right Thing.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/Anthony/status/822446053777620993

To quote a Twitter user responding to this, "I just viscerally understood the concept of mixed feelings." Sirota is a great investigative reporter. Hell he's been fired from outlets because he stepped on the wrong toes, Dem and Republican. So, and let's just dream for a moment, David Brock actually understands?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
https://twitter.com/R0Bkemp/status/822447271077904385?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

loquacius posted:

No, my gripe is with idiots like Anime Schoolgirl who legit believe there were zero reactionary and flat out White Nationalist elements to Donnys campaign, that it was ALL just a lie from the EEVIL neoliberals (who are definitely the Real Racists and not in fact, the slowly growing contingent of Ethnonationalism all across the loving world )

BornAPoorBlkChild has issued a correction as of 17:46 on Jan 20, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Race Realists posted:

No, my gripe is with idiots like Anime Schoolgirl who legit believe there were zero reactionary and flat out White Nationalist elements to Donnys campaign
are you sure you weren't reading your own posts because i have posted dozens of posts of the exact opposite of that

also pick up your burger

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Aurubin posted:

https://twitter.com/Anthony/status/822446053777620993

To quote a Twitter user responding to this, "I just viscerally understood the concept of mixed feelings." Sirota is a great investigative reporter. Hell he's been fired from outlets because he stepped on the wrong toes, Dem and Republican. So, and let's just dream for a moment, David Brock actually understands?

I'm taking it as him buying one of these.

It's up to us to encourage him to use it, though.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

are you sure you weren't reading your own posts because i have posted dozens of posts of the exact opposite of that

also pick up your burger

Every. Single. Post ive seen from you is :smug:WHINEY WOMEN AND MINORITIES don't know racism and sexism is over. NO WAR BUT CLASS WAR:smug:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Race Realists posted:

Every. Single. Post ive seen from you is :smug:WHINEY WOMEN AND MINORITIES don't know racism and sexism is over. NO WAR BUT CLASS WAR:smug:
so you're illiterate i take it

enjoy my rendition of the 14 words screed in the trump thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796979&userid=31967

also your burger is getting cold and there are 22 cars behind you in the drive through and you do know that's a moped right

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Race Realists posted:

I just clicked through the last couple pages of Anime Schoolgirl's posts and they like to say "racsexism" a lot to make fun of the idea that caring about ecpol is somehow bad, but I wasn't able to find anything telling uppity blacks to shut up or whatever you're implying :confused:

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

I'm blown away she even bothered showing her face.

Yeah, I was rather expecting her to cloister herself away with a drink and her rich fucker friends again. This might be the bravest thing she's done as far as her presidential run is concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
i missed something what is ecpol

• Locked thread