Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Thoguh posted:

Has Trump resigned yet?

I'm sure he'll get around to it as soon as his big fancy party ends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

loquacius posted:

Facebook just showed me a Tom Perez DNC ad in the top right corner, and as I was thinking about screenshotting it for the thread a Bernie Sanders video started autoplaying, and right then the Perez ad changed to a different ad

Almost as though Facebook's ad algorithm was like "oh right this guy doesn't hate Bernie with the fire of a thousand suns, why would he want to click a Perez ad, whoopsie"

very perceptive, Facebook

Click on it so they have to pay for showing it to you.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Grey Fox posted:

Hot take: Don't purge the Clintons from the Democrats yet.

Create/vacate a position within the party dedicated to messaging and communication focused on rural, poor, disenfranchised voters and ask Bill to run it. Best chance to stop short-term bleeding out in that area.
Bill actually seemed like he knew what he was doing in the campaign so naturally they didn't listen to him.

So yeah, this.

Qwazes
Sep 29, 2014
Fun Shoe

Thoguh posted:

Maybe a little.

can we all just agree that maybe peter thiel and the koch brothers deserve to get kicked in the nuts?

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

Racism is real, and strong, and it is not our friend.

I feel its worth mentioning that among my friends and people i talk to online regularly, the two who came to the conclusion Trump's victory had to do entirely with racism both said they could not support Ellison because the election meant democrats would lose forever if we were led by a black Muslim man. And I've seen that view espoused by some other lovely democrats elsewhere. The worst case scenario is letting the fear of racist voters influence the party away from good candidates.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Qwazes posted:

can we all just agree that maybe peter thiel and the koch brothers deserve to get kicked in the nuts?
You can't kick Peter Thiel in the nuts, he's gay and that insulates him from all criticism, despite him being a loving manchild and a literal blood drinking fetishist

tower time posted:

Racism is real, and strong, and it is not our friend.

I feel its worth mentioning that among my friends and people i talk to online regularly, the two who came to the conclusion Trump's victory had to do entirely with racism both said they could not support Ellison because the election meant democrats would lose forever if we were led by a black Muslim man. And I've seen that view espoused by some other lovely democrats elsewhere. The worst case scenario is letting the fear of racist voters influence the party away from good candidates.
And that is why we should continue to campaign for the people who don't agree with them who have the misfortune of living around said racists instead of browbeating them into apathy with guilt by association, because that isn't constructive.

It also doesn't help that saying having more black actors in TV will help a black person in poverty who cannot get lasting gainful employment because of lovely trumped up charges that are enforced only for poor minorities.

Anime Schoolgirl has issued a correction as of 19:14 on Jan 20, 2017

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
Change vs. more of the same
The economy, stupid
Don't forget health care.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Qwazes posted:

That's a funny way to spell guillotined.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Race Realists posted:

kinda hard for me to give a poo poo about

:byodood:ACKPOLE:byodood: when there's a growing movement of people who want me and people who like me dead or in jail

There is also an ever present group of people who want you to starve to death or die of exposure. And they are getting richer.

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

Anything without a restructuring of the economy and social safety net just rings increasingly hollow to me. I used to work more with transgender issues and activists - we got some small concessions through executive order over the last 8 years, but healthcare companies can still refuse to cover most things, employment nondiscrimination didn't get passed despite a dem majority senate/house. Yeah democrats and corporate allies make some noise about bathroom bills, but about half the people I knew 6-8 years ago are some mixture of homeless/died to drug addiction/or doing street level survival sex work.

The same people that got away with killing trans people a decade ago still generally get away with it now. The guy from Arrested Development got an award for being in a t.v. show or something though?

I'll have whatever I can get for $2.17

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

here's two doubles

and a medium fries on the house

:smith:

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

It also doesn't help that saying having more black actors in TV will help a black person in poverty who cannot get lasting gainful employment because of lovely trumped up charges that are enforced only for poor minorities.

I agree,

hopefully they'll cancel blackish and lay off this stupid ivory tower liberal "diversity" bent they've been on

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

tower time posted:

Anything without a restructuring of the economy and social safety net just rings increasingly hollow to me. I used to work more with transgender issues and activists - we got some small concessions through executive order over the last 8 years, but healthcare companies can still refuse to cover most things, employment nondiscrimination didn't get passed despite a dem majority senate/house. Yeah democrats and corporate allies make some noise about bathroom bills, but about half the people I knew 6-8 years ago are some mixture of homeless/died to drug addiction/or doing street level survival sex work.

The same people that got away with killing trans people a decade ago still generally get away with it now. The guy from Arrested Development got an award for being in a t.v. show or something though?

I'll have whatever I can get for $2.17

The DNC would turn their backs on the trans community the nanosecond it seemed beneficial, neoliberals do not actually give a poo poo about trans people, gay people, or minorities.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Race Realists posted:

I agree,

hopefully they'll cancel blackish and lay off this stupid ivory tower liberal "diversity" bent they've been on

You read this into the post you quoted, he actually said "pop culture doesn't put food on anyone's table or keep people from being imprisoned on bullshit charges or murdered by racist cops," not "all white people on tv plz"

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
The real war on the disenfranchised has been being waged by both parties for years, the only solution is overtaking the Democratic party and severely shackling capitalism and how much power capitalists can posess in our society.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Ace of Baes posted:

The DNC would turn their backs on the trans community the nanosecond it seemed beneficial, neoliberals do not actually give a poo poo about trans people, gay people, or minorities.

lol if you don't realize the democratic party is heavily financed and staffed by lgbt

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Concerned Citizen posted:

lol if you don't realize the democratic party is heavily financed and staffed by lgbt

Ah yes, it's impossible for LGBT people to not give a poo poo about LGBT people rights, now if you'll excuse me I have tickets to go see Milo Yiannopoulos speak at the log cabin Republicans meeting.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

loquacius posted:

You read this into the post you quoted, he actually said "pop culture doesn't put food on anyone's table or keep people from being imprisoned on bullshit charges or murdered by racist cops," not "all white people on tv plz"
But talking about the economy is racsexism, black people can't be poor :downsowned:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Ace of Baes posted:

Ah yes, it's impossible for LGBT people to not give a poo poo about LGBT people rights, now if you'll excuse me I have tickets to go see Milo Yiannopoulos speak at the log cabin Republicans meeting.

i... dont think theres really a 1:1 comparison to be made between Milo and a gay DNC staffer, dude

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Ace of Baes posted:

Being rich trumps all other considerations

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

the democratic party may be staffed and funded by LGBT but there's even more money going into it from people who aren't, and those are the kind of people that will (and have) dropped the democratic party at the drop of a hat

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

paranoid randroid posted:

i... dont think theres really a 1:1 comparison to be made between Milo and a gay DNC staffer, dude

My point was that being gay does not directly equate with having the best intentions for gay people, also see: All black Republicans.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
idk i'm just pretty sure that of all the criticisms you can throw at the democratic party, "not caring about gay people" is probably not a great one in tyol 2017.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Their track record is them waiting until it was popular to support gay marriage, if Trumps presidency results in a shift in culture where where 51% of people disapprove of gay marriage I have no reason not to expect those same dems to betray or if ignore that portion of the population. I don't see it happening, but substitute gay with trans and it becomes a lot more likely imo.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

only neoliberals start a post with "ah yes"

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
ah yes, the "ah yes" meme

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Ace of Baes posted:

Their track record is them waiting until it was popular to support gay marriage, if Trumps presidency results in a shift in culture where where 51% of people disapprove of gay marriage I have no reason not to expect those same dems to betray or if ignore that portion of the population. I don't see it happening, but substitute gay with trans and it becomes a lot more likely imo.

i think you're basically ignoring how incredibly entrenched lgbt interests have become in the democratic party. like, the montana at-large house district was the 8th most expensive race in the nation even though it wasn't remotely competitive and the state itself is extremely cheap. why? because the democrat was a lesbian and raised an absurd amount of money from lgbt donors across the country. there's definitely no profit in retreating on those issues

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I do like me some memes

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

i think you're basically ignoring how incredibly entrenched lgbt interests have become in the democratic party.

Is this bad?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Bip Roberts posted:

Is this bad?

nope, of course not

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

Is this bad?

the answer to this question depends on what kind of manic episode this thread is engaging in today

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
*looks up from carving "Gloria La Riva Would Have Won" into arm with a knife* homosexuality is a bourgeois affectation

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

i think you're basically ignoring how incredibly entrenched lgbt interests have become in the democratic party. like, the montana at-large house district was the 8th most expensive race in the nation even though it wasn't remotely competitive and the state itself is extremely cheap. why? because the democrat was a lesbian and raised an absurd amount of money from lgbt donors across the country. there's definitely no profit in retreating on those issues

I sincerely hope you're right.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

tankies get wedgies

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
Never in my life could I have imagined "democrats have no spine" to be a controversial statement.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

paranoid randroid posted:

ah yes, the "ah yes" meme

Oh poo poo a deep dive:eyepop:

Meme mastery at work

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Democrats will fight for LGBT people until there's too many homeless LGBT people in their city. Then they pass laws to throw them out.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Zhulik posted:

Never in my life could I have imagined "democrats have no spine" to be a controversial statement.

It applied before, during, and after 2008, it will remain true until Bernie takes over and chews off the head of the great serpent.

Bernie would have won.

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

I wouldn't say at all that gay issues aren't part of the democratic party, but it is definitely another area where donor money has done a lot to set priorities. Same-sex marriage took national priority over a nationwide Employment Non-Discrimination Act largely because wealthy LGBT communities are located in blue states that already have statewide ENDA, and same-sex marriage gave them more benefit as a result. Its hard to put a price on dignity and rights, but its also pretty hosed up that i could move to Louisiana and marry a woman, but be legally fired/not hired by anyone because I am married to a woman. And in state likes New York, they have had ENDA for LGB people for decades, but the democratic party has defeated every attempt to add transgender people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

UHD posted:

I do like me some memes

Would you go so far as to consider yourself a meme loving gently caress?

• Locked thread