Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Nicholas posted:

i'm thinking of buying a pc to play video games. what does everyone recommend

Ouya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nicholas posted:

Serious posting: Build your own, the hardware thread has some excellent recommendations on gear and plenty of smart nerds to help you make it work. I built mine and it's performed well above par for anything I could want. It saved me a ton of cash, and it's honestly not hard to build yourself.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

this is not an ouya

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
So in this universe of exactly 100 star systems we have Space Barbarians, Space Jews, Space Asians, Space American Indians, and Space Mancunians (the normative, dominant race of Earth and its planetary colonies, unironically the good guys despite the matter-of-fact Star Wars imperialism).

The creativity, it really reflects the creator's diverse life experiences and cultural interactions, as well as his enlightened attitude towards the future of race relations. Move over Star Trek, Star Citizen has ignored one of your most basic premises and uses it instead as an engine of conflict!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

Jonny Nox posted:

How are you getting that weight analysis? Have you done a BCA scan?

I use the Omron BF511 scale with 8-point measurement. It's not 100% precise but you can definitely see a trend.

Propagandist posted:

Hey man thanks for sharing. It seems like you're tackling this thing head on. I really applaud your approach to this.

If anyone else is interested, but doesn't quite know how to start, I recommend something called MyFitnessPal, which is an app you can download on your phone. It just lets you log your food each day, recording the calories you eat. I thought it was pretty stupid initially but it was really eye opening how many calories I was realistically eating. It'll take your health stats and tell you how many calories per day you need to eat to lose a lb or half a lb a week, or even just to stay the same weight. And you can log your weight and it gives you a nice little simple chart of your progress. I'm 15 lbs down in 3 months, and not starving myself in the least.

And I get excited for walkies on weekends, since it gives me more calories to eat!

Yeah you're welcome. I'm doing this as good as I can. I can also recommend MyFitnessPal, entering calories and so on really helps visualize how much you actually eat and what you can actually afford to eat each day. I'm not starving, but trying to keep myself around 1600-1900kcal a day, depending on my daily level of sports and generally how much I move. It's not that hard but really requires at least some effort, but from nothing comes nothing.

Thanks! I'll try to keep up the good work.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Nicholas posted:

Chromebook

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Nicholas posted:

Depends on budget and priorities

Since you're asking in the SC thread you can try the Citizen way: buy a weak, old AMD CPU, 3GB of really expensive boutique RAM, a just-for-show water cooling setup and just buy the GPU with highest TDP that your fuse box'll allow

Or just buy the noisiest ~=gaming laptop=~ you can fit in your mancave

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

I miss the Ouya thread. I never got to play Secret of the Universe Alpha. Which is a better game than some other Alpha Universes.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Depends on budget and priorities

Since you're asking in the SC thread you can try the Citizen way: buy a weak, old AMD CPU, 3GB of really expensive boutique RAM, a just-for-show water cooling setup and just buy the GPU with highest TDP that your fuse box'll allow

Especially get the water cooling setup. If you don't have one part that can take out the whole computer when it fails, then you don't have a computer at all

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A used Ouya is right now this minute still a better investment than a Roberts(tm) brand jpg.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Thats what im dealing with now when i try to play diablo at the lowest settings on my MBP

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Nicholas posted:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

They gave me a personal tour of CIG LA even though CIG was running crazy dealing with BAFTA.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Foo Diddley posted:

Especially get the water cooling setup. If you don't have one part that can take out the whole computer when it fails, then you don't have a computer at all

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

They gave me a personal tour of CIG LA even though CIG was running crazy dealing with BAFTA.

:same:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Oh right, you could also buy one of those.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

:allears:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I bought a pre-built Cyberware PC from Best Buy. :downs:

Seriously it's been fantastic so far I just need another 8 Gigs of RAM soon.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Amateurs

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Certain bit of irony considering he is labeled as an MVP.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Colostomy Bag posted:

Certain bit of irony considering he is labeled as an MVP.

Minimally Viable Person

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Foo Diddley posted:

Minimally Viable Person

Mined-out Value Person

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

so many hashes per heatstroke

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Nicholas posted:

Honestly I just built an i3-6700 based computer for my kids with no video card, and it plays all their games fine at high detail on a 1280x1024 monitor

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

quote:

No, I was told after I had pre-paid all the arrangements. The pop-in visit had been a "go" up until a week before my departure (and it wasn't meant to be a full tour). Just one of those "I got to see Foundry 42!" while on my first and last UK trip (health issues are now causing the end of my travel days).

Fortunately I had other events and travels to make while in the UK. But losing two days in Manchester watching it rain was a bit depressing. That could have been two more days riding the Scottish Highlands on my Harley.

In the end it boiled down to CR having arrived and "crunch mode" for Gamescon.

poo poo happens...

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Watercooling is for the hardcore badass gamer who likes to live dangerously.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

that's terrible :(

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

DapperDon posted:

My friend just died from this a day or so before last Christmas. He quite literally drank himself to death. In fact, the day we all staged and intervention and got him to agree to go to rehab, he had a bottle of vodka stashed in his bag and downed the whole thing in the back seat before we got him there. He died that night.

This is sad. I apologize for your loss. :(

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Now that all our families are dead its the SC people slowly withering away. Its a bummer.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Propagandist posted:

Hey man thanks for sharing. It seems like you're tackling this thing head on. I really applaud your approach to this.

If anyone else is interested, but doesn't quite know how to start, I recommend something called MyFitnessPal, which is an app you can download on your phone. It just lets you log your food each day, recording the calories you eat. I thought it was pretty stupid initially but it was really eye opening how many calories I was realistically eating. It'll take your health stats and tell you how many calories per day you need to eat to lose a lb or half a lb a week, or even just to stay the same weight. And you can log your weight and it gives you a nice little simple chart of your progress. I'm 15 lbs down in 3 months, and not starving myself in the least.

And I get excited for walkies on weekends, since it gives me more calories to eat!

Congrats friend.

Who wants a walk??? You do??? Of course you do! Good boy! Good boy! :shittydog:

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

More please :3:

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

Nicholas posted:

not joking wait a bit and see if amd's zen/ryzen is any good.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Gradis posted:

not joking wait a bit and see if amd's zen/ryzen is any good.

This is honestly good advice.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Hav posted:

Went to see Henry Rollins last week do spoken word. He was awesome, but there is literally no way, in the modern day and age, that the audience members - who paid for their loving tickets - didn't have access to running water and deodorant.

I'm no Agent Smith, but the sheer meaty funk of all the people was amazing. I know they say that Punk is dead, but it shouldn't smell like that.

I'm someone who likes to help people, and occasionally this means handing over a breath mint (and get a dentists visit), but goddamn are some people bad at adulting.

You can help some people, but there are others that stop mentally growing at some point and never get the flashing neon sign that the opposite sex doesn't want to smell your armpits across a room.

I've generally lost weight when I've started to get out of breath doing things, but also because my family has poo poo genes for cholesterol; You are your parents and grandparents, what they had, you could have, and three of mine had bad hearts.

I smoked for years and didn't really like it. Quit a couple of times, but always went back. Finally got some Chantix, and boy, that poo poo is mental. Vivid and terrifying dreams, mood swings, but you simply put the cigarettes down. Finally, you get to the point where you don't want to go through Chantix again, so you stay off them. It's like a really bonkers aversion therapy.

Word. I'm going to start with a bunch of sarcasm and phonecalls and steadily metastasize into being annoying in person.

:master:

Chantix. Yeah, no. I had to stop it when I realized I was sitting there calmly discussing methods of committing suicide with my cat, and then realized this was not the first time. So, yeah, guess I will take the slow death by smoking then.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Samizdata posted:

Chantix. Yeah, no. I had to stop it when I realized I was sitting there calmly discussing methods of committing suicide with my cat, and then realized this was not the first time. So, yeah, guess I will take the slow death by smoking then.

Since it was a discussion what was the cat's opinion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Seems like many of you should switch to spaceship addiction. Its never murdered anyone. Except my wallet >XD