Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Cursed boat. I loathe having a ship at less than 50% winrate. I would love to play some games with goons to see about making that thing a winner before I sell her off:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Blindeye posted:

Cursed boat. I loathe having a ship at less than 50% winrate. I would love to play some games with goons to see about making that thing a winner before I sell her off:

Very first game in the New Mexico had me in a T8 match with 5 DDs on the enemy team on Estuary Standard Battle. Even better, I started in the far east with only a single cruiser and destroyer for company - everyone else started middle or west, and the entire team decided to push west. Meanwhile I was permaspotted by a destroyer (they had 3 of theirs in the east) while taking fire from a North Carolina I both couldn't see (due to smoke) and was outside my range anyways. And because of where I started and how slow the stock NM is, it took forever to get behind something and out of the North Carolina's sights - I'd lost ~50% of my health before I'd either gotten behind cover or even had a chance to shoot anything. Sure was a fun battle. :suicide:

Hilariously I still managed to come in 4th on the scoreboard (and it was a win) simply due to a Lo Yang (2 tiers higher than me) being dumb and coming around a corner at like 6km away. He didn't terribly appreciate taking all those HE shells. Still was a miserable battle in general though.

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

Soup Inspector posted:

Ah, okay, now I think I get it. At least I can probably mess around with it and see if it's worth it or not. Thanks for explaining!

Yeah just give it some testing and see if you find it useful. If nothing else, it doesn't hurt to have alongside PM if you've got an extra point to squirrel away somewhere down the road and nothing else to put it into. It's one of those things like if you're usually pretty aware and don't really find it adding to your abilities then there's no point in taking it. There's still some guesswork to it if 1 ship is targeting you and there are multiple ships in range on different sides of the ship, you still have to take a look at guns and figure out which one might be aiming for you.

Thundercakes fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 20, 2017

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
PT is also useful in the situation where you're spotted and the enemy team isn't, as a sort of "how much should I panic now" rating.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
I've been using the indicator over the 30% reduction in incaps.

It let's me know when I can comfortably full broadside in my cruisers. It's extremely handy.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Blindeye posted:

I'll probably get to retire mine with a net-positive winrate.

It is quite the sluggish ship but as soon as I put the B Hull, upgraded engine and Propulsion Mod 2 on her, it became quite fun to play. The biggest hurdle is having to wait the couple of years it takes to get the boilers warmed up and the ship moving, but once it's actually skiing in the water, it's quite nimble and absurdly armored around the citadel. There's no beating those twelve guns at close range either.

With the 40(!)% torpedo belt and turtleback armor, you can often show full broadside and take a ridiculous punishment while having all of your firepower bearing on a target, IF you're top tier. The only downside is that your secondaries are pretty poop so you don't want to be dancing with any destroyers up-close unless you're sure you can shotgun their faces back to port in one salvo.

I can kinda understand why it has a pretty poor 49% server winrate though. It's one of those commitment BB's that needs a team to do well, and if you go to the wrong flank, prepare to have a boring sail-around game because it is SLOW.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I applied to GOON on EU as Wibla

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

OSad posted:

I'll probably get to retire mine with a net-positive winrate.

It is quite the sluggish ship but as soon as I put the B Hull, upgraded engine and Propulsion Mod 2 on her, it became quite fun to play. The biggest hurdle is having to wait the couple of years it takes to get the boilers warmed up and the ship moving, but once it's actually skiing in the water, it's quite nimble and absurdly armored around the citadel. There's no beating those twelve guns at close range either.

With the 40(!)% torpedo belt and turtleback armor, you can often show full broadside and take a ridiculous punishment while having all of your firepower bearing on a target, IF you're top tier. The only downside is that your secondaries are pretty poop so you don't want to be dancing with any destroyers up-close unless you're sure you can shotgun their faces back to port in one salvo.

I can kinda understand why it has a pretty poor 49% server winrate though. It's one of those commitment BB's that needs a team to do well, and if you go to the wrong flank, prepare to have a boring sail-around game because it is SLOW.

My line of thinking is that I believe a lot of players in NA start out on the US lines when they first start for obvious reasons (now and pre-German BB both), so this probably also helps contribute to lower WR and damage numbers. I started out playing only US ships and ground my way up to the NM and Colorado before I really had a good grasp of what it was that I was doing. My WR in both of them are a little under 50% but the average damage a fair amount higher than average, which to me just points out that when I was using those ships I was fine at pumping out damage, but didn't necessarily understand how to utilize it to the best interest of the team. I don't know if this rambling makes any sense, that's just how I've rationalized it all.

Thundercakes fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 20, 2017

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Thundercakes posted:

My line of thinking is that I believe a lot of players in NA start out on the US lines when they first start for obvious reasons (now and pre-German BB both), so this probably also helps contribute to lower WR and damage numbers. I started out playing only US ships and ground my way up to the NM and Colorado before I really had a good grasp of what it was that I was doing. My WR in both of them are a little under 50% but the average damage a fair amount higher than average, which to me just points out that when I was using those ships I was fine at pumping out damage, but didn't necessarily understand how to utilize it to the best interest of the team. I don't know if this rambling makes any sense, that's just how I've rationalized it all.

I guess I should mention that my winrate was well above 50% in the ship (with much lower damage per game) but the last 15 or so games has been nothing but bottom tier. I do more average than ever in the ship, and I try to get it in a central location so that I keep the guns singing and use my torpedo belt/good maneuverability to annoy destroyers. What I find is just getting withered/carrier focused as a bottom tier ship. One game I had 3 fires set on me by a schors at 17km, repaired, then got 3 more fires, healed that up, survived until near the endgame soloing a fuso and a suicidal atago, but my team was still pants on head retarded and lost badly because the top tier ships were muppets.

Today was 8 wins in a row, then I decide to finish the grind to the colorado:

A Saipan player who had never played a CV before claimed he couldn't control his ship, rushed headfirst into the middle of the map and died, letting a hiryu have free reign the rest of the game.
A pair of gneisenaus humping the back of the map at max range until the entire team had died.
A rush up the middle in two brothers (because of course).
A team that gave up an easy win by capping because...honestly I don't know.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

I assume this dragon thing is a 'premium' that's not actually premium, like the ARP boats?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Trying to figure out skills for a 15-point Bismarck secondary build.

1: Direction Center (everything else at T1 seems useless)
2: High Alert
3: BFT
4. Manual Fire Control, AFT

Seem about right? Or should I be ditching BFT in favor of Basics of Survivability? Is Adrenaline Rush enough of an increase to be worth it over something else?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

You should probably be ditching BFT in favor of Superintendent. I've used all 5 heals on the Bismarck a lot.

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

Blindeye posted:

I guess I should mention that my winrate was well above 50% in the ship (with much lower damage per game) but the last 15 or so games has been nothing but bottom tier. I do more average than ever in the ship, and I try to get it in a central location so that I keep the guns singing and use my torpedo belt/good maneuverability to annoy destroyers. What I find is just getting withered/carrier focused as a bottom tier ship. One game I had 3 fires set on me by a schors at 17km, repaired, then got 3 more fires, healed that up, survived until near the endgame soloing a fuso and a suicidal atago, but my team was still pants on head retarded and lost badly because the top tier ships were muppets.

Today was 8 wins in a row, then I decide to finish the grind to the colorado:

A Saipan player who had never played a CV before claimed he couldn't control his ship, rushed headfirst into the middle of the map and died, letting a hiryu have free reign the rest of the game.
A pair of gneisenaus humping the back of the map at max range until the entire team had died.
A rush up the middle in two brothers (because of course).
A team that gave up an easy win by capping because...honestly I don't know.

Yeah I gotcha, I didn't mean to come across like I was saying that was what was going on with you in particular. I was coming at it from more of a generalized point of view with regards to server averages and the things that OSad mentioned, as well as the current matchmaking, definitely plays in. I did my NM grinding in 2015 when the sweet spot for MM was tier 5 and 6. When you're constantly bottom tier in those tier of ships now it's much harder to perform if your team doesn't perform as well, and there's such a big change in capabilities from T6 to T7 and T8 that it's tough. Somewhat unrelated to this NM talk, but my cursed ship has to be the Atago. I feel like I perform pretty well in it, enjoy using it and I average pretty good damage in it, but I've been rocking a solid 41% win rate (it has been as low as 26%). Somehow I end up with incredible windowlicking teams every time I queue up in it.

Thundercakes fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 20, 2017

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Iceshade posted:

80k base(!!) xp for 20 dragons flags and another Myoko clone is a bit steep. But hey, it's free.

EU doesn't get 30 days like everyone else to complete this. They get 20. :downs:

That's only like 40 games without premium :smugdog:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

The main problem is having play US ships. I guess I could play destroyers.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

wdarkk posted:

You should probably be ditching BFT in favor of Superintendent. I've used all 5 heals on the Bismarck a lot.

Yeah, same here. If you don't charge headfirst into the first engagement, it basically sees you through the entirety of a match 70% of the time.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

wdarkk posted:

The main problem is having play US ships. I guess I could play destroyers.

Or any of your zillion premiums.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

[

CitizenKain posted:

From what I can tell, IFHE shells don't benefit the Molotov much. But they turn the Schrors into a terrifying hellbeast provided it doesn't get vaporized early on.

After this update, the Shchors turned from "annoying mosquito at edge of your spotting range" into "sniping HE deck chainsaw murderweapon."

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

CitizenKain posted:

From what I can tell, IFHE shells don't benefit the Molotov much. But they turn the Schrors into a terrifying hellbeast provided it doesn't get vaporized early on.
Yeah Molotov has 180mm shells, which already penetrate 25mm of armour. The only breakpoint you pass on the Molotov with IFHE is 32mm, which due to its tier, is only seen on a minority of BBs since that only starts showing up at T8.

jownzy posted:

I've been using the indicator over the 30% reduction in incaps.

It let's me know when I can comfortably full broadside in my cruisers. It's extremely handy.
Yup it's really nice to know how cheeky you can be while spotted.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
Well, the Budyonny has the exact same guns as the Shchors. Has the Buddy turned into a flame-spewing shipopath as well?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Soup Inspector posted:

Ah, okay, now I think I get it. At least I can probably mess around with it and see if it's worth it or not. Thanks for explaining!

Priority Target is basically a # on how cheeky you can be. When it hits 6 you know you are doing something right.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
So my average ship is smack in the T5/6 range, and I just don't understand how to do well, or even average in these tiers. I can be more aggressive and do okay if its a t5/6 match, but anything uptiered I feel like I have to play super passively, and do next to nothing all match, but at the first moment of trying to be aggressive I get instantly citadeled from way outside the range in which I can do anything but try to evade. I can't play DDs exclusively if I ever want to reasonably reach higher tier cruisers/battleships, so I really don't have a clue what to do

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

OSad posted:

Well, the Budyonny has the exact same guns as the Shchors. Has the Buddy turned into a flame-spewing shipopath as well?

Only played one round with DE+IFHE so far, but I had no trouble starting fires on battleships.

pokchu posted:

I really don't have a clue what to do

Find a higher-tier teammate to stick close to and pray he knows what he's doing.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

CitizenKain posted:

Priority Target is basically a # on how cheeky you can be. When it hits 6 you know you are doing something right.

Noted!

Also am I just going crazy or does it seem like the Atlanta's turret traverse has gotten faster? :stare:

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I swear, I just can't get a win in this thing, no matter how well I do. Only 120K more XP to go until the Bismarck... :shepicide:

EDIT: So, NC drivers get very, very upset if you mock them for their predictable "nose first, then reverse" tactic and then torp the poo poo out of them because you know exactly what they're going to do.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 20, 2017

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

pokchu posted:

So my average ship is smack in the T5/6 range, and I just don't understand how to do well, or even average in these tiers. I can be more aggressive and do okay if its a t5/6 match, but anything uptiered I feel like I have to play super passively, and do next to nothing all match, but at the first moment of trying to be aggressive I get instantly citadeled from way outside the range in which I can do anything but try to evade. I can't play DDs exclusively if I ever want to reasonably reach higher tier cruisers/battleships, so I really don't have a clue what to do

I learned a lot from watching you tube videos, especially Flamu.

The two biggest pieces of advice from an average but aggressive player is: 1. Except in a DD, don't charge a cap right away, especially solo or with one other person. That was my biggest mistake for a long time. 2. Check and keep checking the minimap. Don't watch your shells fly through the air, check the minimap. Don't stare at the reload countdown timer, check the minimap. This is what I'm working on right now.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
On the Tashkent, should I go for Concealment Mod, Target Acquisition or Steering Gears? Its not like the concealment is going to get very good, but I generally figure a little more helps.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

That really depends on your playstyle, I think.

Those who are comfortable with speed tanking will eschew concealment module and CE for Tashkent in favour of SGM2 due to the poor rudder shift by default and more aggressive captain skills, but others who like to get closer and restealth at longer distances will do the opposite. Ultimately, it is how you feel about a mediocre Kiev at tier 8.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

CitizenKain posted:

On the Tashkent, should I go for Concealment Mod, Target Acquisition or Steering Gears? Its not like the concealment is going to get very good, but I generally figure a little more helps.

I went with steering gears. Tashkent is very sluggish without it and concealment mod or not you are most visible DD on field anyways. Its not a ship to be all stealthy and such. Its a ship to make enemy BBs waste their volleys at you as they miss instead of them shooting your teammates and hitting them.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

pokchu posted:

One thing I see cruisers and destroyers do in that tier 5/6 range constantly is to rush *far* ahead of their battleships because the speed discrepancies are so big at this tier. This is usually a terrible idea and you shouldn't rush anywhere in this game without backup behind you.

MoraleHazard has said it best, you want to enlarge your minimap as far as it'll go and constantly look at it, as it reveals to you what you can and can't get away with on any given flank. If you get uptiered badly in a T6 cruiser, I wouldn't even bother going full speed ahead right at the start. Set her to half and let the battle develop for the first three to four minutes of the game. Once everyone has picked a side and the first shots are flying off, then you step on the gas and start adding DPM to the fleet.

I say this because you mainly seem to play cruisers, especially KM ones, and that's very commendable since cruisers are on a squishy spot right now. Keep at it though because cruiser players seem to turn into match-destroying death unicorns if they get through that initial learning hump.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Lady Morgaga posted:

I went with steering gears. Tashkent is very sluggish without it and concealment mod or not you are most visible DD on field anyways. Its not a ship to be all stealthy and such. Its a ship to make enemy BBs waste their volleys at you as they miss instead of them shooting your teammates and hitting them.

I've got enough money to bounce between the two, I'll give em both a shot.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

OSad posted:

One thing I see cruisers and destroyers do in that tier 5/6 range constantly is to rush *far* ahead of their battleships because the speed discrepancies are so big at this tier. This is usually a terrible idea and you shouldn't rush anywhere in this game without backup behind you.

MoraleHazard has said it best, you want to enlarge your minimap as far as it'll go and constantly look at it, as it reveals to you what you can and can't get away with on any given flank. If you get uptiered badly in a T6 cruiser, I wouldn't even bother going full speed ahead right at the start. Set her to half and let the battle develop for the first three to four minutes of the game. Once everyone has picked a side and the first shots are flying off, then you step on the gas and start adding DPM to the fleet.

I say this because you mainly seem to play cruisers, especially KM ones, and that's very commendable since cruisers are on a squishy spot right now. Keep at it though because cruiser players seem to turn into match-destroying death unicorns if they get through that initial learning hump.

Thanks for the advice (not just to you,) I'll try to work on it in practice. I appreciate it, and any other advice anyone wants to give. Also feel free to let it devolve into horrible arguments over semantics

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
I enlarge my minimap using [DONGS] approved technology.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

UNCUT is now a thing.

Pseudophile fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 21, 2017

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Oh boy, a 12k damage win on my Kamikaze because the enemy team was utter poo poo and it's hard to torpedo ships in full retreat. We had one of our top-tier DDs afk and we still only lost one ship.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

MoraleHazard posted:

I learned a lot from watching you tube videos, especially Flamu.

The two biggest pieces of advice from an average but aggressive player is: 1. Except in a DD, don't charge a cap right away, especially solo or with one other person. That was my biggest mistake for a long time. 2. Check and keep checking the minimap. Don't watch your shells fly through the air, check the minimap. Don't stare at the reload countdown timer, check the minimap. This is what I'm working on right now.

I will say as a counterargument, watching your shells fly can be useful in a few cases. In ships that have very high firing arcs, it's almost mandatory to watch them fly over cover so that you can tell if or by how much you need to adjust your fire. This is particularly true in ships like the Cleveland and most British cruisers.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Rorac posted:

I will say as a counterargument, watching your shells fly can be useful in a few cases. In ships that have very high firing arcs, it's almost mandatory to watch them fly over cover so that you can tell if or by how much you need to adjust your fire. This is particularly true in ships like the Cleveland and most British cruisers.

You can also tell by quickly tapping m twice. I'll pan just over the island and then pan back down. This only works in sniper view. It allows you to peak over and adjust before the first shot is fired.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Sporks - If you are on here, I apologize for booting you due to some confusion amongst us idiot leaders. DemonR6 has made a new clan with the tag 4SKIN

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
yes, 4SKIN is the overflow in case anyone needs a clan.

Also anyone who has contributed in the OP write ups and wants to refresh now that we have new skill trees and poo poo please let me know and send it to me and I will update.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
I finally have a day off so I'll play some games and then make a new skill guide