Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
The counterargument is that the kyokai didn't hold Kakuryu to that standard either, so you could argue that one win and surrounding excellent showings are now what they consider to be the requirement for promotion (possibly taking into consideration that these wrestlers are competing against the GOAT in Hakuho?). Plus, it has always been at their whims and given the unofficial nature of the 2 consecutive yusho "rule". That coupled with him actually being Japanese, I don't see any reason to believe the kyokai wouldn't promote him with a 14-1 result.

Now, if you want to argue that Kise doeesn't deserve the promotion without consecutive yusho, that's a different argument entirely. And one I don't necessarily disagree with.

Also, I just realized that Hakuho will hit his decade anniversary of promotion in May. Doesn't seem like it has been that long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Pvt. Public posted:

That coupled with him actually being Japanese

yeah that right there is the kicker really

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I think there should be a double standard for yokozuna promotion, one for younger wrestlers without a track record, and another for older wrestlers with a history of being consistently very good at the sanyaku ranks. If, say Takayasu (who is only 26 and still has a lot of sumo ahead of him) hypothetically finishes 2nd at 12-3 and wins the yusho in March, even if it was 15-0 I'd want him to be held to the traditional standard and see him win again in May. At least when kak was promoted, he had been Ozeki for 2 years and hadn't had a losing record in over 3 years. For someone like kisenosato who has been Ozeki for 5 years, the most wins in 2016, and had double-digit wins 10 out of the last 12 tournaments, a relaxed standard is fine if he wins this tournament. Now that I look again, he's only ever been kadoban once.

Another reason to have this double standard is its kind of unfair to the wrestler to promote him if he is young and not ready for it. If he just had a good little run finishing 2nd then 1st and you promote him right then without a history of greatness, if he starts losing after that he'll quickly be pressured to retire and he may be out of the sport in his 20's, robbing us and him from seeing what he could have accomplished in a normal career. I'm not as worried about doing that to 30-year old Kisenosato.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 20, 2017

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
73/90 wins, a Yusho and 4 Jun-Yusho in a year is probably going to satisfy the elders enough to promote a Japanese Yokozuna.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Pvt. Public posted:

The counterargument is that the kyokai didn't hold Kakuryu to that standard either, so you could argue that one win and surrounding excellent showings are now what they consider to be the requirement for promotion (possibly taking into consideration that these wrestlers are competing against the GOAT in Hakuho?). Plus, it has always been at their whims and given the unofficial nature of the 2 consecutive yusho "rule". That coupled with him actually being Japanese, I don't see any reason to believe the kyokai wouldn't promote him with a 14-1 result.

Now, if you want to argue that Kise doeesn't deserve the promotion without consecutive yusho, that's a different argument entirely. And one I don't necessarily disagree with.

Also, I just realized that Hakuho will hit his decade anniversary of promotion in May. Doesn't seem like it has been that long.

Yeah, I should have noted that I actually didn't think Kakuryu should have been promoted either. My view is that basically yes, it's unlucky to be around in the era of Hakuho and it makes it way harder to get yusho but other rikishi have managed to do it while Kisenosato has not. If someone like Kaio who won what, 5 championships? is not made a yokozuna then someone like Kisenosato who might win ONE should sure as gently caress not be promoted. Is it unfair? Yeah, I guess so but again, a slew of rikishi have managed to capitalize on an opportunity and get the yusho in the age of Hakuho. It's not a very good excuse to me.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Ura's tasukizori deserves more love. I can't even find an analogue to that in any other art. I'm sure that motion happens all the time in various combat sports, but the closest technique I can think of is an escape from north-south turtle I was taught at a BJJ club.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

it has got to mess with your mind if you are takanoiwa, random rank and filer, you go on a good little run and suddenly millions in Japan will be happy or sad based on your performance on this one night.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 21, 2017

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Haha, Sokukurai! I have to admit to having a soft spot for the only man ever to take on the Sumo Association in court and come away with a win, but I never thought he'd be have a realistic shot at a jun-yusho.

And also Wow! I look forward to the conspiracy theories on this one. Wonder if Kise will feel like a legit winner having this handed to him, if he doesn't beat Hakuho tomorrow?

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 21, 2017

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Oh god. It's like Trump winning all over again. All that's left is for the Warriors to win the NBA finals.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

:suspense: Day 14 is over.

edit:

As much as people are quick to dismiss day 15 as irrelevant, I think it may matter.

If Kise beats hak tomorrow to emphatically go 14-1, I think he gets the promotion. If hak wins, especially if he wins easily, then... who knows.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jan 21, 2017

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Day 14: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NenQcuF1nZc

Good for Kise :) hope he can win tomorrow. I think he deserves to be a yokozuna if he does.

Queering Wheel fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jan 21, 2017

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Takekaze's old, no neck having rear end is lowkey one of my favorite dudes and is having a pretty solid basho, btw. Hope he hits 10 wins tommorow

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I was going to make a post about being pleased for Sokokurai but disappointed he's ditched the trips and leg sweeps and then he brought it back today :getin:

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Japanese media is reporting that members of the YDC have pretty much said that Kisenosato will be promoted if he beats Hakuho. If he loses on day 15, then they will discuss it.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

He's prolly getting promoted either way I bet. Japanese sumo fans want this badly

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
He's doing better sumo than 2/3rds of the current Yokozuna and has been for a year

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Rigel posted:

Japanese media is reporting that members of the YDC have pretty much said that Kisenosato will be promoted if he beats Hakuho. If he loses on day 15, then they will discuss it.

Hakuho henka-ing Kisenosato's yokozuna hopes would be the best ending.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

anakha posted:

:mad: Kise-sensei gonna hit that HNH on Hakuho.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

anakha posted:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
At the end of his interview, Kisenosato shed one single manly sumo tear. The most emotion I have seen in sumo and shows how much this means to him. I hope tomorrow's fight is a good one with Hakuho.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Haku's gonna elbow him in the face probably, that's his go-to for big matches

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I just wanna see him crowned a Yokozuna, otherwise we wont have any in about two years

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Shiroc posted:

At the end of his interview, Kisenosato shed one single manly sumo tear. The most emotion I have seen in sumo and shows how much this means to him.

Must have never seen this one before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gUigVZhFOc

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Shukun sho (Outstanding performance): Takanoiwa
Kanto sho (Fighting spirit): Takayasu
Gino sho (Technique): Sokokurai

Not sure if there are any provisional prizes that might be awarded based on day 15, but those 3 are confirmed.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

I love this sport

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Shiroc posted:

At the end of his interview, Kisenosato shed one single manly sumo tear.

Any link to that?

E: nm, forgot I can halfway type in jp
https://youtu.be/ozLrJ2N9Eoo

Fryhtaning fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 22, 2017

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Fryhtaning posted:

Any link to that?

E: nm, forgot I can halfway type in jp
https://youtu.be/ozLrJ2N9Eoo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ojJrQy66c&t=1300s

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Day 15 is over.

That was a cool tournament.

its gonna feel a bit odd to see 6 yokozuna clashes in March, assuming everyone is healthy

Rigel fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jan 22, 2017

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
The second last match was a bit depressing - as the commentator said, there's two sad ozekis.

Takanoiwa's face after being rolled by Sokokurai was priceless. He knows he's had some good luck this basho, but it doesn't always hold!

I wonder if the yusho winner gets to keep the giant plush macaron...

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Awesome win by Kise, he deserves yokozuna.

Shame about all the injuries this basho, but it was still good. Lots of nice matches and techniques.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Hakuho should have known better than that. In most cases he would have been the one using the opponent's leaning as a means to throw them. I really expected him to reverse course and get the sukuinage. Oh well. Congrats to Kise but if pressure was too much before, good luck when you're the new Yokozuna who got a promotion when so many competitors were injured. You kinda have to spend the next few tournaments proving you belong there. All eyes are in him.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Takekaze ended up with ten wins, and looking spry despite being the oldest rikishi. If I were him, I would give it one more basho and then hang it up going out on a high note.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://youtu.be/1Vc-JytpKOQ

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

It is cool to see Kise and Takayasu being super happy, especially Kise since his expression never changes when he's in the ring.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Shiroc posted:

It is cool to see Kise and Takayasu being super happy, especially Kise since his expression never changes when he's in the ring.

Kinda funny to see that Kisenosato was confused about what to do, then Takayasu started waving, and kise was like "oh OK, yeah I can do that".

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It’s always exciting when someone is fighting for their kachikoshi on Day 15, and we got to see a handful of those, which is cool.

Never thought I’d see somebody try to go low on Shouhouzon, how the gently caress is that even possible

Having a defense for thrusts from a much bigger rikishi is a good showing for Arawashi, makekoshi notwithstanding.

How bout that Mitakeumi

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Halloween Jack posted:

Never thought I’d see somebody try to go low on Shouhouzon, how the gently caress is that even possible

He seemed angry after Ishiura tried to henka him with how hard he shoved him out. Ishiura dodged on pretty much every fight I remember against a bigger guy, so I can't see him sticking around if he can't bulk up.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Shiroc posted:

He seemed angry after Ishiura tried to henka him with how hard he shoved him out. Ishiura dodged on pretty much every fight I remember against a bigger guy, so I can't see him sticking around if he can't bulk up.

If he adds 20kg he can get into sanyaku and he has room to do it. Whether he wants to or not is a different story.

Sumo is littered with Ozeki who were mired in low makuuchi then gained 15 kilo.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

First step is completed - JSA made the recommendation for the promotion.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/...s/#.WIY0hPkrKUk

Even though it's translated, Kisenosato seems to be really well-spoken and has a very practical outlook on what's ahead of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

From what I understand, there are 3 steps, and the second step (YDC) is the only one that is not a rubber stamp since they have veto'd promotion recommendations before, but the YDC reportedly was unanimous in approving Kisenosato's promotion today (2/3 approval needed), so it is going to happen. It'll be officially official on wednesday.

edit: this isn't confirmed yet, but someone in the media is reporting that Kisenosato will go with the Unryu style for his ring entrance ceremony. (same style as kakuryu)

edit2: confirmed that Kisenosato's style will be unryu. The YDC meeting apparently lasted only about 10 minutes. The justification they used for promotion (for those who need more justification) is to point at the winning percentage of the 6 basho before promotion. Under that measure, Kisenosato looks better than pretty much every other recent yokozuna.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 23, 2017