Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Mars4523 posted:

Yikes. That looks pretty drat bad.

And that thing about the Mantle doesn't sound like it was something that Jim thought up ahead of time.

I don't know...it could explain Maeve's psycho-slut act in Summer Knight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Aerdan posted:

I don't know...it could explain Maeve's psycho-slut act in Summer Knight.

And why it was a big enough problem where Mab had to take action.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
It's incredibly sexist and unnecessary.

As if we need explicit rules about female sexuality and roles in addition to all the implicit ones. Oh no, a woman might have sex! Better nip that in the bud and teach her a lesson about why she's so wrong.

Edit: Jesus Christ, I just remembered that Harry banned Molly from sex too. Butcher is obsessed with chaste women.

Velius fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 20, 2017

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Velius posted:

As if we need explicit rules about female sexuality and roles in addition to all the implicit ones. Oh no, a woman might have sex! Better nip that in the bud and teach her a lesson about why she's so wrong.

Edit: Jesus Christ, I just remembered that Harry banned Molly from sex too. Butcher is obsessed with chaste women.

Here we go again :).

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Exmond posted:

Here we go again :).

I realize the misogyny is a common theme in the thread, but this is pretty beyond the pale even by comparison to the run of the mill baseline of the series.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Velius posted:

You can thank the sexist religions that the Fae draw their power from as far as the Winter/Summer queens go within the cosmology of the Dresden Files.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
It's a fictional book, he can make up anything he wants, he chose to make this up.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Yeah, Jim Butcher has a perhaps unhealthy fixation on Molly's virginity.

This kind of thing sounds like it was written more to be super edgy than to fit in the world as it has been built.

Did the previous books say anything about Lily needing to be a literal maiden (in the archaic sense)?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Mars4523 posted:

Yeah, Jim Butcher has a perhaps unhealthy fixation on Molly's virginity.

This kind of thing sounds like it was written more to be super edgy than to fit in the world as it has been built.

Did the previous books say anything about Lily needing to be a literal maiden (in the archaic sense)?

Wasn't heavily implied that Slate raped her? Dunno, the entire affair seems not a good idea on Butcher's side.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
once upon a time we all thought the weird rapey vibe of maeve and slate was just a one off thing

but he kept reminding us of the weird rapey era of the chicago faerie underground changling sex party scene

and now the weird sex stuff just keeps comiing and getting weirder

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
I believed, truly and really at one point, that slates whole thing as a rapist or whatever was just to set him up as a #1 scumbag who was bad and evil and we the readers should not like

im not so sure thats what was happening anymore

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Right, I understand it's more of a steampunk series than an urban fantasy one, but is anyone able to recommend or advise against The Custard Protocol by Gail Carringer?

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Gail's books are neat, but it has that steampunk issue of whitewashing a lot of the class issues away.

They are a good popcorn novel, same for the young adult novels in the same universe.

As far as I remeber, the hero is never helpless, so that was a bonus.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Right, I understand it's more of a steampunk series than an urban fantasy one, but is anyone able to recommend or advise against The Custard Protocol by Gail Carringer?

The Parasol Protectorate are the main series. Custard Protocol follow the kids of that, and Etiquette and Espionage are YA in same universe I think? I enjoyed them, but they are FLUFF.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SystemLogoff posted:

Gail's books are neat, but it has that steampunk issue of whitewashing a lot of the class issues away.

Sure, I don't mind that sort of thing too much.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

SystemLogoff posted:

I don't think this is really the thread for it (beyond the tangential "Butcher did a steampunk novel" sort of way), but is there good steampunk that doesn't do that?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Miéville?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone know much about French pulp fiction? While reading Angels of Music hinted at it (again, definitely recommend that book to anyone who enjoys that whole League of Extraordinary Gentlemen thing) but I hadn't realised there was so much of it; apparently enough to populate this 14 volume series of short story collections called "Tales of the Shadowmen" which I have just discovered.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I'm looking forward to a bunch of February releases - and hope you are, too:

Feb 07 - Patricia Briggs - Silence Fallen (A Mercy Thompson Novel)
Feb 07 - Stephen Blackmoore - Hungry Ghosts (Eric Carter)
Feb 07 - Neil Gaiman - Norse Mythology
Feb 27 - Richard Kadrey -The Wrong Dead Guy (Another Coop Heist)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
New Anno Dracula book is out the week after next as well.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Wheat Loaf posted:

New Anno Dracula book is out the week after next as well.

You know, I keep hearing good things about Anno Dracula in this thread, so I think I'll give the books a go. Are they written in a faux Victorian style - or just take place in that era?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wizchine posted:

You know, I keep hearing good things about Anno Dracula in this thread, so I think I'll give the books a go. Are they written in a faux Victorian style - or just take place in that era?

Nah, it's just the setting. Each story is set in a particular year, and more or less reflects the fiction of the year it's set. The first one is set in 1888 and it's a Sherlock Holmes detective story, the second one is 1918 and it's a war story about heroic fighter pilots, the third is 1960 and it's a murder-mystery taking its cues from Fellini movies (it's set in Rome) and Jame Bond (one of the henchmen is the Boris Karloff version of Frankenstein's monster with metal teeth and deadly throwing hat) then the most recent one is a short story collection taking place between 1974 ("Coppola's Dracula") and 1991 ("A Concert for Transylvania"). In between, there are stories like Anno Dracula 1923 (Agatha Christie locked room mystery) and Anno Dracula 1968 (every single ITV police serial and adventure drama). The forthcoming book - Anno Dracula 1899 - is another short story collection.

There's another later this year called Anno Dracula 1999: Daikaiju, which is set in Tokyo in 1999 and will purportedly be influenced by cyberpunk and giant monster movies.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 22, 2017

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

mistaya posted:

That said I feel like the Faust books do a really good job with having POC, a gay couple, and women in the Main Cast that aren't tropes. I have only read three so far but it's the first UF series I've read in a while that feels like it really embodies the city and the people who live there and couldn't be set in Anywhere, USA.

(e: or London. They're all in London. FFS.)

Is Daniel Faust a POC? I kinda visualized him as Ray Liotta from Goodfellas.

Melusine
Sep 5, 2013

Benny the Snake posted:

Is Daniel Faust a POC? I kinda visualized him as Ray Liotta from Goodfellas.

To my knowledge, he either explicitly isn't, or it isn't mentioned (and therefore we can imply he's white, because otherwise it would have been mentioned - not to pass judgement, but that's the way books work in 2016).

Melusine fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 22, 2017

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Faust is a white guy, but I don't think it's explicitly mentioned until Killing Floor Blues.

Basically non-spoilers but he ends up in prison for a bit and the men in there stay with their own race for protection so it comes up.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Guys, I think I figured out this clever puzzle. It's Mama Margoo, guys. Mama Margoo is a person of color.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Thanks all, for the Faust series recommendation. I really enjoyed them and the linked Harmony Black books. Pretty punchy and not too long

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Aerdan posted:

I don't think this is really the thread for it (beyond the tangential "Butcher did a steampunk novel" sort of way), but is there good steampunk that doesn't do that?

Basically any author who namechecks "London Labour and the London Poor" which was one of the direct inspirations for the earliest steampunk by KW Jeter, James Blaylock, and Tim Powers - and also The Difference Engine by William Gibson & Bruce Sterling.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Aerdan posted:

The first third/two-thirds of Iron Dragon's Daughter. The last third is very disappointing, though.

[edit] ... to expand on this a little, the first third is set in an orphan kidnapped changelings' work house, and it's pretty lovely there. The second third is a slight contrast to the first, but still maintains that inequality by having the PoV character manipulated by upper-class folk to fit in.

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 23, 2017

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
The Hanging Tree just dropped to my Kindle. Now I have something to read during lunch break when I need a break from Hidden Figures.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

EVGA Longoria posted:

Molly's first task, she's sent to Alaska to collect tribute from a tribe. Gets attacked in a bar and Ramirez helps her. They flirt a lot. She agrees to help him look into that and he'll help her collect the tribute. They go to pick up the tribute and find out that the tribe's children have been kidnapped. They figured out it was Cthulu worshipers, and go to rescue them. They succeed, leave the children with the tribe, and Molly and Ramirez go to have sex. Molly blacks out and wakes up covered in blood. Man explains as the Winter Maiden she can't do anything that would risk her becoming the Winter Mother (no sex) and her mantle will react to protect it.

Molly then realizes the tribute she's collecting is the children she rescued.

All in all, Molly is pissed at Mab. Mab is Mab. Ramirez is barely alive.

gently caress. poo poo. Jesus. I'm glad I skipped that one. Wasn't Butcher going through a divorce while he would have been working on this? I don't want to be an apologist for that monstrosity, but maybe we can let him take a mulligan and quietly brush this under the rug? At any rate, I'm not frustrated by the delays on Peace Talks any more.

Bas-Lag is great and I'll defend it to the death. I should probably read the rest of his work, though. Strictly speaking, it's New Weird and not Steampunk. But take this as a thumbs-up. There's LOTS more going on than just gears and hats.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Butcher got a divorce?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

VanSandman posted:

Butcher got a divorce?

Several years ago. He doesn't really talk about it.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
I seem to recall he replaced her already with some busty cosplaying fangirl of some sort. The sequence of these events is both unclear and not very interesting to me.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

VanSandman posted:

Butcher got a divorce?

Who gives a poo poo?

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Number Ten Cocks posted:

I seem to recall he replaced her already with some busty cosplaying fangirl of some sort. The sequence of these events is both unclear and not very interesting to me.

Cool story bro

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
He posted the engagement video on his website ages ago. Rode up on a literal white horse at a renaissance faire in full armor

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is it true that his first wife wrote the sex scenes for him?

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is it true that his first wife wrote the sex scenes for him?

Gosh, I hope not; since she was an actual romance author, if they were still that bad, I'd be worried about the quality of her own books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Was listening to Dead Beat again the other day. It is pointed out there are six necromancers in town, but... I only counted five, including Mavra. Who's the sixth? I feel like I am missing something incredibly obvious.