Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
littlejoey
Jan 7, 2017
Interesting to see how this defensive line fix plays. Most of the WL is me trying to pass through that wall of defenders sitting in the box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
This is what the new matchmaking screen looks like:

littlejoey
Jan 7, 2017
Wish it was a latency number instead of 2 additional bars

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
No word yet on when the patch is coming to consoles, though.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

hopterque posted:

No word yet on when the patch is coming to consoles, though.

On the consoles there's a vetting process by Microsoft\Sony and the deployment of the patch is scheduled by them and not by EA as it uses their servers, it's not up to EA really. On PC they get to release as soon as it's ready from their end, on consoles it's usually about a week later.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Wish it showed actual ping times too but still, a good patch

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Making pretty good money on my silver investments(although it could have been better if I was up last night to list players).

Should be up to ~500k after dumping 100k into my serie A squad, so that's nice.

I'm getting to the point where I think I might be better suited doing larger investments, a lot of players are at their absolute lowest, trying to decide who's going to rise. Cavani seems like a decent candidate. Or I might just pick up a bunch of low-priced 84+ players. I figure EA will do something to get prices back up after this TOTY.

Rooney
Vardy
Lloris
Cazorla
Silva
Payet
Gundogan

etc. The question is whether the crash is temporary or permanent. I think with the SBCs they have the ability to manipulate the market back up personally...

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

littlejoey posted:

Interesting to see how this defensive line fix plays. Most of the WL is me trying to pass through that wall of defenders sitting in the box

Defense has always been whats keeping this game from being good, I've ranted about it nonstop in this thread. It sounds like they're addressing only counter attack specifically but hopefully they overhaul the whole thing.

TOTY Marcelo is fun but not worth what I paid, even at CAM/CM. The stats weirdly just don't seem add up. TOTGS Giuliano is a much much better CAM despite the stat gap. I'm debating trying out a TOTY Midfielder or just maybe building a money team. The problem is I switch squads so much I really don't like being tied up with just one squad, so I never get a suped up Bundesliga squad for isntance, just a really good one. I've thought about getting some legends though because they fit anywhere and help with hybrids. I've heard Alexi Lalas is actually ridiculously good this year so I'm thinking of getting him.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 17, 2017

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Went into the 3.5 star rating WL qualifier expecting to play some cool teams with my silver scottish side. Forgot it wasn't a strictly silver tournament and ran into this first game.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Man I just watched some of those Hashtag Harry videos where he goes 38/40 in WL with a bronze team, crazy how good some people are at this game

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
By god SBC Toprak, that goalie has a family!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKR_4QK26PM

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Apparently the patch is out for consoles now. I've read that it has greatly effected AI defending and counter attack which I'm really happy about if it's true. The batter latency bar and no squad name/date will be awesome too. I didn't even see that it's removing placing players into custom positions as well which is also great. the 8-0-2 was rare but a complete joke. Basically everything is designed to crap on cowards and cheap players which is great.

This TOTW sucks though. Basically the players I wanted in didn't get in (Abel Hernandez, Crouch) and the players I'm interested in got bad position changes (Alonso, Antonio). Hopefully they release an SBC for Crouch. I don't know when Hernandez will get another chance at an IF though I was planning on building my yearly Uruguay squad around that card.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Uh wow please SIF Nainggolan means it clearly rocks and is awesome. He's 2 pace away from have 85+ in every category.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
is there anything I can do with loan players in FUT who are out of contracts? just quick sell them for 0?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yep

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!
Welp, no WL this week. Wonder what happens to the monthly rewards.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

aborn posted:

Welp, no WL this week. Wonder what happens to the monthly rewards.

40 games less taken into account for all the requirements, more or less. It's actually slightly tougher to get elite with these 3 weeks than it was, 25.6 wins per week instead of 24.5 , but if you're not right on the cut off you'll stay in the same spot.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Looks like they also removed the requirements for next week's weekend league. I was looking forward to the restrictions in a way but not without this weekend's prizes to help afford the team I wanted to build, so this is a good move I think.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

This is a small sample size but I played four games the other day and the patch indeed does seem to be screwing over people who set out defensively, and by screwing them I mean forcing them to play realistically and they can't deal with it. I've been playing on default tactics and normal attacking for a long time now and I noticed nothing different on my end but I saw people failing to counter attack and people's defenses were way more porous in general. I wish there were a WL this time around so I could crush people before they get used to defending. A bunch of people are complaining online that defending is hard now (which is a joke because defenders have maintained their ball suction force field) so I think my theory is pretty much confirmed. I'd like to see if anyone else has noticed a difference. Also I'm pretty sure WL got cancelled not because of people cheating last weekend but apparently there is a new disconnect exploit that became possible after the latest patch. So good job EA.

Seriously though, counter attacking being nerfed and "pro players" not being able to back out of games because of EST. dates, team names, etc. is great. Some nice schadenfreude I'm enjoying.

I picked up TIF Eriksen based on people talking him up here and elsewhere. What really sold me on him was the 99 stamina on top of the elite stats, it's awesome to have on a CAM. I still have TOTGS Giuliano narrowly edging Eriksen out but Eriksen is definitely the better playermaker. Giuliano's skills, pace, sturdiness on the ball, and ridiculous shooting (for me, I have his shot dialed in from all ranges) has him in the top spot.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm liking this patch, defending seemed pretty similar for how I play but I was scoring 3-5 goals on people and poo poo

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
Another stupid newbie question, I got a "head coach" item in FUT....how do I use it? The only actions that come up when I select are untradeable and quick sell for 0.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I think you just put it in your club and it takes effect. You can stack a bunch of coaches in your club to get more mileage out of contracts, fitness, and other training cards.

For instance, I get like 37 games out of a rare gold contract as opposed to the face value of 24.

I only played one game since the patch and I honestly didn't notice too big of a difference. It was a satisfying game though, ran up against a pretty stacked La Liga squad(IF griez, SIF gameiro, TOTY Iniesta, etc) and won with my pretty standard premier league squad.

It was a do or die game to win division 5 and move up to 4, so that was cool.

In investing news, I made like 60k on SIF lacazette yesterday after buying him for 200k earlier in the day. I now have ~575k coins if I sold what's on my transfer list, I don't know what to do with it. I have serious hoarding syndrome and I just want to get to like 1.5 million and build a stacked serie A hybrid of some kind.

Anyone have any tips for higher dollar investing?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
What I did two years ago to trade from 100k to like 3 million in a couple weeks was I would look for gaps in the price of silver in form cards because their supply is very limited (typically you could have cards that only had 10-20 on the market, period)

So you'd look for a card where the prices at the bottom were like

and you'd simply buy the 12000 and re list him for 15.5 or 16, that's it.

Basically people wake up and just hit the "re list" button without checking prices sometimes, so they'll list cards that are like way under the second-least price, and because they're just random silver in forms, they won't get snapped up so you can just bridge the gap and make free money. Once you get to higher amounts of money you can make even more by moving entire blocks up and filling intermediate gaps

So like the prices are:

You buy all 3 16ks and relist them all for 19.5 or something.

This method is a little more robust because it's not as easy to automate as buying single cards from the bottom.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Do you use futbin or something to check those prices? Or just through the web app?

I love the idea, might try it with a few guys. I noticed there's some guys who are technically price fixable, ever tried that before? I'm just worried that the demand is quite low for most of these guys they might sit on the transfer list for awhile.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I used FUTbin generally, I made a folder on my iphone and I would bookmark each individual FUTbin page so I could check them whenever, and it used to show the actual lowest 5 auctions, dunno if it still does.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
You guys ever tried doing a corner like this? I think I got a little unlucky as far as the actual header but like I had never seen someone do it like this, aiming way behind me but full power so I could still get it.

It might be with full power that the randomness is so high that it won't work a lot, but I had never seen one tried like this, a dude just randomly did it on my team in a drop-in and I was impressed by like what a good position it allowed me to get a header off from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tjDmq9FueI

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
I feel like a goalkeeper with the appropriate trait should just catch that? Or at least punch it away.

e: the patch feels like everything that irritated me before has been buffed. Every opponent I encounter plays this super aggressive high pressure slide tackley counter attacking thing, and my ability to defend against that is worse than before. I bought neymar and he has touched the ball once in two games because everyone is just constantly all over me.

foolish_fool fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jan 20, 2017

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

foolish_fool posted:

I feel like a goalkeeper with the appropriate trait should just catch that? Or at least punch it away.

e: the patch feels like everything that irritated me before has been buffed. Every opponent I encounter plays this super aggressive high pressure slide tackley counter attacking thing, and my ability to defend against that is worse than before. I bought neymar and he has touched the ball once in two games because everyone is just constantly all over me.

Yeah, I tried it about 20 times in single player against myself where the second controller wasn't even trying to head the ball away and didn't score a single time, it's trash and we apparently just got lucky in this one instance

Got my WL rewards, 48 rare players and not a single one over 83 overall lol

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Stefan Prodan posted:

By god SBC Toprak, that goalie has a family!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKR_4QK26PM
Hahaah brutal. I wish I didn't miss out on his SBC.

littlejoey
Jan 7, 2017
Loving this new patch like. Nothing like seeing Ronaldo and Bale cutting through that defence with people who relied on AI defending.

In a selfish way, I wish WL was on to give people limited time to adapt to the new patch. Only in Div 3 right now (haven't played much of seasons) and just rolling people over at the moment.

I can see people flocking back to the 433 variants since they're more defensive minded vs the 4321

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Repeating that this patch is awesome. The AFCON motm cards are getting huge boosts which is cool. I've only picked up the Serey Die card so far but it allowed me to build this monster team to torment people with.

Basically the 4 most overpowered players in the Swiss league in one balanced squad, including, of course, Doumbia. I'm never going to let people escape Doumbia, I was using him in 13 and every edition since, before and after the fifa 15 hype. He's still really really good. Serey Die isn't outright amazing but he's definitely Kante-esque and holds the midfield together.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

I decided to sell my boring Bundesliga B-Squad and built a Argentina squad around Tevez instead,

Tevez isn't the same as he was in 16, but he's still loving amazing and fun to play with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GL8O_xj0-I&t=7s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDSylshvStM&t=30s

also IF-Modeste continues to do silly poo poo for me,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpblRpbwNqI&t=26s

littlejoey
Jan 7, 2017
IF alli is amazing as a CM and links up well with eriksen at CAM. The high stamina and aggression make him great with Kante in the midfield.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Players expected to get winter upgrades with IFs are ballooning in price right now so I would sell those off soon before the mass undercutting that happens every year when the upgrades go live (IF Kante and the Dembele cards are good examples of incredibly overinflated cards). Eriksen will probably get updated so I'll likely sell my TIF around friday when people do WL buying.

I packed an 87 IF ......... and it was Bernardo Silva. Sucks to get an 87 IF that only goes for 40k (and the other 87s this week are Nainggolan, Lacazette, and Verrati) but the upside is that the dude legit feels like a slower Messi. I know that sounds like crazy praise, and half of that could be that I got him post patch where dribbling is actually very good again, but he's really really good. I had his SIF which was also a sleeper card but the TIF is something else. Elite dribbling, playmaking, and finishing for 40k. He has stats in all the right places for a winger that cuts in and scores/passes. I'm glad I packed the card because I probably wouldn't have looked at him normally. If you have a Ligue 1 or Portugal squad the card is a must have imo. The pace isn't really even a problem, he's front loaded in acceleration and feels great on the ball.

Hopefully EA release a MOTM Bertrand Traore later today, I'd like to make a squad around him and IF Ziyech.

e- Also I really didn't get on with tevez this year after multiple tries which is a bummer.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Tzen posted:

I decided to sell my boring Bundesliga B-Squad and built a Argentina squad around Tevez instead,

Tevez isn't the same as he was in 16, but he's still loving amazing and fun to play with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GL8O_xj0-I&t=7s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDSylshvStM&t=30s

also IF-Modeste continues to do silly poo poo for me,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpblRpbwNqI&t=26s

I had an Argentina squad but sold most of it to get a trade-able in form and turned it into a prem squad.
I was pretty similar to what you have but had Pastore/Banega/Lamela/Gaitan.
Banega and Lamela were good

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I just found out one of the silvers I used in a silver hybrid is now going for 32k thanks to the ligue 1 SBC, Lol. Lacazette has an IF out, why are people paying these prices. If you ever think you'll want a special league card this should be the example as to why you should build the teams ahead, or at least buy all the silvers. The Toulouse SBC (where my player was from) alone costs 100k.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Seltzer posted:

I just found out one of the silvers I used in a silver hybrid is now going for 32k thanks to the ligue 1 SBC, Lol. Lacazette has an IF out, why are people paying these prices. If you ever think you'll want a special league card this should be the example as to why you should build the teams ahead, or at least buy all the silvers. The Toulouse SBC (where my player was from) alone costs 100k.
Good lord. - It must be peoples sense of 'completionism' to pay those prices for players.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Seltzer posted:

There are a couple teams in Serie A that could be gold mines if you were able to predict when that SBC would come out.

A lot of people are predicting another league SBC this week, I'm half tempted to stock up on Serie A silver players from key squads(Crotone, Palermo, Empoli) in hopes that it's Serie A time. Most of the players prices are pretty steady, but a lot of them have <4 pages available on the transfer market.

If the SBC hits, it'd be a windfall of coins, if it misses, I'd be out a few thousand coins of interest?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

DoctaFun posted:

There are a couple teams in Serie A that could be gold mines if you were able to predict when that SBC would come out.

A lot of people are predicting another league SBC this week, I'm half tempted to stock up on Serie A silver players from key squads(Crotone, Palermo, Empoli) in hopes that it's Serie A time. Most of the players prices are pretty steady, but a lot of them have <4 pages available on the transfer market.

If the SBC hits, it'd be a windfall of coins, if it misses, I'd be out a few thousand coins of interest?

It's definitely going to be this week*. They are always 3 or 4 weeks apart and it will be 4 weeks this time. I still think it will be crappier leagues like A-league and Saudi (which I put together), so buying big league silvers might be a waste of time. I have them all for the Bundesliga and Serie A but I'm not about to go double up on them for profit. Too much time effort and risk, also I think EA might learn from this SBC and loosen a few mostly silver/rare team's requirements up a bit.

*Nothing is definite in fifa don't quote me on this.

Also holy smokes I want that striker Podolski card. I'm a Podolski fan in real life and my top fifa squad of all time was a Podolski SIF Klose Muller triangle in fifa 13. I'm gonna pick up the Moroccan silver MOTM for fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Yeah that Podolski looks insanely good. Also inform dyballa this week is going to be LM according to the guy who has correctly leaked TOTWs consistently, which would actually be pretty cool for anyone who gets him I M O.

Wonder what's gonna happen with the weekend league, since it doesn't look like there's gonna be a fix for the no loss glitch. They'll have to cancel this upcoming weekend too, I guess? But this was supposed to be a qualifying month for regionals, so who knows what's gonna happen there. Also, if they cancel this weekend and bring the monthly rewards down the same way they did after cancelling last weekend I'll be elite monthly, so that would be chill.

• Locked thread