Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Agnosticnixie posted:

The GOP campaign really poo poo the bed when they nominated Palin of all people and started acting like they were making a victory lap to a third term of Bush.

lol this is exactly what the dems did this year god drat

The Democrats really poo poo the bed when they nominated Hillary Clinton of all people and started acting like they were making a victory lap to a third term of Obama.

I'd argue it's more accurate this way given their messaging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
people wante dto have sex with sarah palin tho

or mayb4 tina fey

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
from waht i saw it was mostly conservative commentators that wanted to gently caress Palin

hubba hubba grizzly mom wowie-zowie you betcha

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Agnosticnixie posted:

To be fair, he has a point. The GOP campaign really poo poo the bed when they nominated Palin of all people and started acting like they were making a victory lap to a third term of Bush.

it's not even Palin. she certainly didn't help McCain much, but what really sealed the deal is that the great recession really kicked off only a couple of months before the election. Lehman Bros and AIG collapsed in September 2008, Bush's favorability rating was down into the 20s, the media was predicting the total collapse of the economy, unemployment rates were skyrocketing, and McCain just couldn't distance himself enough from Bush's failures.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Main Paineframe posted:

it's not even Palin. she certainly didn't help McCain much, but what really sealed the deal is that the great recession really kicked off only a couple of months before the election. Lehman Bros and AIG collapsed in September 2008, Bush's favorability rating was down into the 20s, the media was predicting the total collapse of the economy, unemployment rates were skyrocketing, and McCain just couldn't distance himself enough from Bush's failures.

yeah i dont see a single republican that could have won 2008

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Fullhouse posted:

The Democrats really poo poo the bed when they nominated Hillary Clinton of all people and started acting like they were making a victory lap to a third term of Obama.

Yeah it's like I was trying a parallel, although it's not a direct repetition.

quote:

Pretty much, Mccain might have had a chance, but after that it was also like trying to run Hoover for a second term on top of everything else.

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

zegermans posted:

also if it makes you feel any better I will be negatively effected when they kill the public service 10 year loan forgiveness program so I'm not just being a smug white dude that won't be hurt at all.

I actually don't want to see anyone suffer, even you. Stay safe bad contrarian post ghost

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Fullhouse posted:

the difference is people like obama

fuckin nobody liked bush

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

hey folks!

just gonna leave this link here:

https://www.obama.org/whats-next/leadership/the-board/

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

nice, nice

the board chair is a private equity CEO who serves on the board of a charter school company and a real estate company

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

nice, nice

the board chair is a private equity CEO who serves on the board of a charter school company and a real estate company

yup, lol

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Main Paineframe posted:

nice, nice

I think we've hit peak Bad Dem.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lmao theres a member from Bain capital even

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

MizPiz posted:

I think we've hit peak Bad Dem.

There is always more, and it is always worse

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

if there was one democrat that couldve lost 2008 it would be hillary clinton

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

that's the thing -- he offered two counters to that: 1) "it was up to the individual, not government."

2) "your religion says that, it doesn't say you can compel me to do the same."

why dude didn't immediately offer proof that he, as an individual, was actually making a difference in helping his fellow man, I'll never know, but he was pretty put out by the idea of insurance companies not being able to sent coverage based on pre-existing conditions or that poor people on food stamps could buy anything but bread and water, so your guess is as good as mine.

But smart money would bet on "dude's an rear end in a top hat"

Christians are excellent at finding loopholes to dodge stuff they don't personally agree with. The fact that Jesus told a rich person he was going to hell should be enough but nope, they have to hide behind "the private citizen should donate all their money!" instead of supporting public programs that ensure people don't die on the streets.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Business Gorillas posted:

yeah i dont see a single republican that could have won 2008

True. Although I don't see Clinton beating Romney for reelection in 2012.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

OhFunny posted:

True. Although I don't see Clinton beating Romney for reelection in 2012.

eh reelection speculation is almost more nebulous than normal election, so much of it is based around war chests and general good will combined with a GOTV effort that mainly focuses on 'remember good thing? We remember good thing, vote for MORE GOOD THING'. A lot of very weak people can win re elections even if they're not doing super well.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lmao theres a member from Bain capital even

Jesus Christ. And then in the Trump piss party thread someone is hand wringing over Richard Spencer getting punched in the face at the protests today. Democrats are the loving worst. I'm ashamed to have ever been associated with them.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

comedyblissoption posted:

She did.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's good that Richard Spencer was punched in the face. Also it's good that there are actual protests.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

It's good that Richard Spencer was punched in the face. Also it's good that there are actual protests.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

As a pacifist I officially disavow all violence, even against people who really, really, really deserve it.

That my disavowal occasionally takes the form of giggling is a character flaw I have learned to live with.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
You can't just talk about the wonderful thing that happened without posting the video
https://twitter.com/taygogo/status/822584994749153280

BAGL

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

docbeard posted:

As a pacifist I officially disavow all violence, even against people who really, really, really deserve it.

That my disavowal occasionally takes the form of giggling is a character flaw I have learned to live with.

violence is only good if leads to a hilarious result.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

docbeard posted:

I personally try to choose non-violence as much as possible in my life.

That doesn't mean I won't laugh at a neo nazi getting sucker punched right as he talks about pepe and looking about to cry before trying to be tough on twitter about how he can 'take a punch', and fully love the person who did it.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Error 404 posted:

You can't just talk about the wonderful thing that happened without posting the video
https://twitter.com/taygogo/status/822584994749153280

BAGL

you didn't post the video

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
As the greatest American filmmaker said

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptxkVhDYog8

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

comedyblissoption posted:

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

i protested all day, it was good

we shut down a highway for a little while

https://twitter.com/DMVFollowers/status/822520129271529474

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Zikan posted:

good

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Zikan posted:

Restecp!

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Grondoth posted:

you didn't post the video

https://twitter.com/MrTrunney/status/822580347409932290

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

also we didn't worry about getting run over once despite all of the people online like in the replys to that tweet fantasizing about running us over

we also found a bus full of trump hats and pounded on their windows to scare them for a bit

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Zikan posted:

also we didn't worry about getting run over once despite all of the people online like in the replys to that tweet fantasizing about running us over

we also found a bus full of trump hats and pounded on their windows to scare them for a bit

youre doing the lords work

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
It's super funny how the trump shitstains have this fascistic idea of masculinity but completely poo poo their paints when they see actual opposition in the streets.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
if you wouldnt take a swing at Richard Spencer, you are the baddest of bad dems

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

It's super funny how the trump shitstains have this fascistic idea of masculinity but completely poo poo their paints when they see actual opposition in the streets.

reminder that this is their fascistic ideal of masculinity:

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

this is your daily reminder to lift heavy things and put them back down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Business Gorillas posted:

this is your daily reminder to lift heavy things and put them back down

It is a shameful Berniebro who does not lift. Climbing or bodyweight fitness are also acceptable.

• Locked thread