Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward_Lapine
Jan 21, 2011

I thought you were actually gay, I mean...
So did I, for a bit, but then I found out about the prohibitive standards of hygiene, and all that DANCING!

Atmus posted:

My favorite thing in Diablo 1 with the weird Hellfire expansion from Sierra was that you could get not only lovely items, but useless ones. I found a Useless Club once, it was just a magic club that did -100% damage. I barely remember any of the equipment I used deliberately, but that was my favorite piece of loot.

Sadly Diablo 2 and 3 didn't focus much on "cursed" items compared to Diablo 1 and the Hellfire expansion IIRC. Back when I played way too much Diablo, people looking for a challenge did "Naked Mage" runs. Essentially you wouldn't wear any equipment and beat the game like that. Since the Mage got overpowered quick, someone came up with a "Beyond Naked Mage" run where you were supposed to wear the best(worst?) cursed items you find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
They should have had a "___ of the Dead" item set with a mystery bonus that made your max (and current) HP 0. Too bad that probably would have just led to an immortality glitch or something

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Playing Mad Max lately. It's a little thing, but I do like that bashing scrotus emblems when you have melee weapon has you use it to smash it faster, and not drop the weapon.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Pontificating on it further, I think my personal favourite aspect of FF15 is the Summons. They are all very different in how they react to humanity:

Titan - He's relatively chill, realises Noct can't understand what he's saying so he makes his point clear by attacking Noct with his free hand - "Prove your strength, then we'll hang out. Cool, proven. :fb:"

Ramuh - Honestly seems kinda playful, all "In order to summon me, Touch my thunder rocks three! Thanks for playing, let's fight together!"

Leviathan - Complete Psycho. She gets all pissy, and in the first scene where we can actually understand a summon it's her bitching and moaning at Lunafreya for not knowing literal thousands of years of history. She's all like "OH MY GOD! MY ALARM WASN'T SET TO GO OFF FOR ANOTHER THOUSAND YEARS< NOT I'M ALL CRANKY I'M GOING TO EAT EVERYONE IN THE WORLD!!!!:byodame: Then titan shows up and just goes "Calm the gently caress down. I'll vouch for him. You're making a mess."

Shiva - "The empire killed my main body 20 years ago. gently caress em. Covenant? So formal, I've known you and basically raised you for 20 years, you think I'm not already on board? Here's a sword, here's my power. Have fun!"

Irit - "What's this in my vision? You seriously summoned me here to waste my time killing these little guys? Fine, but I'm not gonna put any effort into it... poo poo SHIVA. :commissar:"

Bahamut - All business, but not unfriendly or impatient, will answer any questions you have because he gets it. If you're gonna sacrifice your life to save the world, your gonna have a few mechanical questions about it so you don't screw it up.

It makes them feel more like characters and less like plot points.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

sirbeefalot posted:

This was pre-cheevos of course, but one of the "insanity effects" in Eternal Darkness was a fakeout "thanks for playing! Get Hype for ED2!" splash screen. Its over quickly, but was good for a reflexive "HEY- waiiiit a second" at the time.

Shame that most of the hardware-based effects don't hold up anymore (unless you play on a CRT TV from 2002, of course)

I fell for that. I was pissed because it made the game feel so short... little did I realize how much more content I missed out on.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I really like that Watch Dogs 2 doesn't really care how you complete missions. If you play the game in character, then you'll distract people with hacks and gadgets and knock them out using melee or the stun gun.
Or you can call in the police and rival gangs on people, cause a giant shitstorm as things escalate, and then complete the mission easily because everyone is dead. But if none of that is appealing, you just use a gun and shoot everyone.

What is great is the game doesn't care. There is no post mission thing about "well, we hacked these bad guys, but Marcus was spotted and then shot 19 people, so I guess it failed."

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

sirbeefalot posted:

Shame that most of the hardware-based effects don't hold up anymore (unless you play on a CRT TV from 2002, of course)

I believe the patent is expiring soon so hopefully someone else can use the sanity mechanics for modern technologies. Cause Nintendo certainly wont.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
You think they won't just slap some poo poo together and hang onto it?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Patent law doesn't work the way copyright law does.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

BioEnchanted posted:

I'd like a game where the final boss changes forms a few too many times, and instead of angst over "how are we going to prevail" or a power of friendship speech the main character just gets exasperated at form 4 and just yells "OH, gently caress OFF! THIS IS GETTING OLD!" The closest thing was in FFX when you have beaten Seymour Flux, his third fight by that point, and Tidus just yells "AND STAY UP THERE!"

One of my favorite bosses in souls games is King Allant from Demon's Souls.

there's two versions:

Old King Allant can be one of the harder fights in the game, especially since his grab attack will steal a soul level from you.

but he's not the real fight, he's just a decoy.

when you reach the bottom of the Nexus and enter the Old One, you see King Allant. This is the real deal, a misshapen mess that was once human and can barely defend itself due to the corrupting influence of the Old One. He's only a boss fight by name.

usually you'd have fought the weaker version of a boss before fighting its true form (like Tinker Knight in Shovel Knight). but the thing that barely resembles a human anymore is the true form.

BioEnchanted posted:

I've always wanted a game which would be difficult to get all the upgrades/hit max level/stats in, but if you succeed the game (assuming that if you've bothered it's not your first time playing and your just replaying it) recognises your ludicrous power and just has the final boss cowering as you carve your way effortlessly to his inner chamber, with his speech going form "HAH! You mortal fools think you can defeat a GOD!?" to "oh god, oh god, go away. Haven't you done enough? My plans are in ruins, my strongest warriors are dead, DO YOU REALLY HAVE TO COME AFTER ME TOO?! Why do you think I used minions, I'm just the management... :gonk:" Of course he'd still fight as hard as possible, but he'd be fighting out of desperation, so he'd be in each forms final attack phase immediately because he's just panicking and trying to make you go away, in effect making the fight harder than normal due to him not using his easy patterns.

this is pretty much Alpha Protocol's endgame, and the difficulty of the final encounters depends on how you rolled your character (Max Pistol Chainshots :clint:).

i watched an LP some years back of Outcast and iirc the way upgrades worked there was that you'd do some sidequests in the open world and the rewards would be that you sabotaged the ruling party's infrastructure. like if you stopped the taxation in one area, you'd have less soldiers patrolling the world overall, or halting the production of a staple crop would weaken the health of the soldiers.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
In Walking Dead: Michonne one of the credits about pets just says "cat". There's like 30 pet names but this one is just on its own line and says, "cat".

Btw it's $5 for all 3 episodes on PSN if you like story-driven games. The other 2 WD games are also $5, both very good.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 00:57 on Jan 21, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Action Tortoise posted:

One of my favorite bosses in souls games is King Allant from Demon's Souls.

there's two versions:

Old King Allant can be one of the harder fights in the game, especially since his grab attack will steal a soul level from you.

but he's not the real fight, he's just a decoy.

when you reach the bottom of the Nexus and enter the Old One, you see King Allant. This is the real deal, a misshapen mess that was once human and can barely defend itself due to the corrupting influence of the Old One. He's only a boss fight by name.

usually you'd have fought the weaker version of a boss before fighting its true form (like Tinker Knight in Shovel Knight). but the thing that barely resembles a human anymore is the true form.

Then Dark Souls went and flipped that. You spend the game hearing about how Gwyn went and burned himself up for the flame, how he's just an ashen wreck of his former self. You kind of expect him to be nothing given how ruined the whole world is even. The last area of the game, the kiln of the first flame is a dead, silent burnt out wreck filled with ash, populated by a few of Gwyn's black knights and when you cross the last wall of light, you get this.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
bed of chaos was a better analog for king allant.

not a better boss, mind you.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Action Tortoise posted:

bed of chaos was a better analog for king allant.

not a better boss, mind you.

Bed of Chaos was a hilarious comedy boss.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Screaming Idiot posted:

Bed of Chaos was a hilarious comedy boss.

It's really fun seeing people who didn't learn how to dodge at all just get perpetually brickwalled by its hands.

Also lore-wise I like the suggestion that killing the bed of chaos just hosed all the demons so by the time 3 rolls around pretty much all the chaos flames are dying out, most of the demons are turning to stone and are just being destroyed by black knights.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Even the people who learned to dodge got hosed by that boss. It had terrible hit boxes, terrible design and terrible mechanics.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

poptart_fairy posted:

Even the people who learned to dodge got hosed by that boss. It had terrible hit boxes, terrible design and terrible mechanics.

platforming elements in a souls boss fight :smugjones:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

It had terrible hit boxes, terrible design and terrible mechanics.

The really weird part was that the Dragon God boss from demon's souls, which mechanically speaking it's somewhat similar to, wasn't anywhere near as bad. It really is weird how the bed of chaos just manages to be the singular worst part of the entire series.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Some people didn't just bait BoC over the lavafalls every single time they played? Madness

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Chard posted:

Some people didn't just bait BoC over the lavafalls every single time they played? Madness

You're thinking of ceaseless discharge, I think? Bed of Chaos was the big stationary tree monster.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Yeah. Bed of Chaos was the dumb gimmick fight.

I think fishing in FF15 is really fun, and it can be a challenge too. I think I had that stupid liege of the lake on my line for 35 minutes before I caught it. All with maybe 100hp left on the line.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Nuebot posted:

You're thinking of ceaseless discharge, I think? Bed of Chaos was the big stationary tree monster.

fffffffuuuuuuuck. it has clearly been too long since I ran through DS1, to my eternal shame.

e: Bed of Chaos sucks

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Then Dark Souls went and flipped that. You spend the game hearing about how Gwyn went and burned himself up for the flame, how he's just an ashen wreck of his former self. You kind of expect him to be nothing given how ruined the whole world is even. The last area of the game, the kiln of the first flame is a dead, silent burnt out wreck filled with ash, populated by a few of Gwyn's black knights and when you cross the last wall of light, you get this.

It's interesting how differently people approach the Gwyn fight based on how hard they find it. I'm bad at Souls games but I've found him really easy on every character - im good at parrying - so to me the fight was just a sad beat down od the remnants - the hollow - of a being that used to be so glorious, with music that was perfect for it.

Whereas if you find him tough you interpret the fight totally differently and that gives it totally different lore implications. Dark Souls is a masterpiece of using mechanics to tell a story

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Nuebot posted:

The really weird part was that the Dragon God boss from demon's souls, which mechanically speaking it's somewhat similar to, wasn't anywhere near as bad. It really is weird how the bed of chaos just manages to be the singular worst part of the entire series.

Easy, Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith was the last thing they worked on and it's straight up unfinished/hastily thrown together to ship.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
To me Gwyn was a tough but not notable basic enemy. I wrecked him because I knew dodging, had stupid massive damage output, and was wearing basically no armour. But I didn't want to because holy god his music is the single best thing in that game.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's interesting how differently people approach the Gwyn fight based on how hard they find it. I'm bad at Souls games but I've found him really easy on every character - im good at parrying - so to me the fight was just a sad beat down od the remnants - the hollow - of a being that used to be so glorious, with music that was perfect for it.

Whereas if you find him tough you interpret the fight totally differently and that gives it totally different lore implications. Dark Souls is a masterpiece of using mechanics to tell a story

He still has a good go at killing you though, unlike Allant who can just blob about. But yeah I really like that they emphasize, even through his animations, that even this loving god you see in the intro beat down dragons with lightning bolts, has gone hollow. He's given literally everything he possibly could to the flame and now he's just trying to defend what he kindled pretty much on sheer instinct.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Nuebot posted:

And if you combine those two approaches, you get Laurence, the First Vicar. He's one of the most important humans in the story, now a charred husk of a beast, strung up in the cathedral that he founded. But if the player approaches him with his human skull, he reaches out, re-ignites and fights to regain his lost humanity with all his might. But as the fight drags on, he first starts to stumble and then breaks in half, spewing lava from his exposed waist as he crawls after the player. The background music quiets down for a somber violin melody, begging the player to put the idealistic fool out of his misery.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Edward_Lapine posted:

Sadly Diablo 2 and 3 didn't focus much on "cursed" items compared to Diablo 1 and the Hellfire expansion IIRC. Back when I played way too much Diablo, people looking for a challenge did "Naked Mage" runs. Essentially you wouldn't wear any equipment and beat the game like that. Since the Mage got overpowered quick, someone came up with a "Beyond Naked Mage" run where you were supposed to wear the best(worst?) cursed items you find.

Diablo 1 also had shrines that would give you an easily found/bought bonus but also permanently gently caress your character with like -10 max HP or something. Some of the zombies would randomly give you -max HP also.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

A neat and easy to miss detail in Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin. One of the optional endgame levels, which was DLC in the original release, has you go to a snowy city. You can choose to immediately fight the first boss of the area, a giant tiger which is invisible and almost impossible to kill in this state. Or you could do a circuit around the snowy city and find the artifact which dispels illusions and renders the giant tiger visible. This has a secondary effect.

Much earlier in the game you would have gone through a forest where you had to fight ghost enemies. These guys are annoying because they look just like the shades of the other players and because you can't lock on to them while fighting. But if you get the artifact from the city and choose to return to the forest, despite there being no reason to return if you looted the place, then all the ghosts appear as normal enemies that you can lock-on to.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Inspector Gesicht posted:

A neat and easy to miss detail in Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin. One of the optional endgame levels, which was DLC in the original release, has you go to a snowy city. You can choose to immediately fight the first boss of the area, a giant tiger which is invisible and almost impossible to kill in this state. Or you could do a circuit around the snowy city and find the artifact which dispels illusions and renders the giant tiger visible. This has a secondary effect.

Much earlier in the game you would have gone through a forest where you had to fight ghost enemies. These guys are annoying because they look just like the shades of the other players and because you can't lock on to them while fighting. But if you get the artifact from the city and choose to return to the forest, despite there being no reason to return if you looted the place, then all the ghosts appear as normal enemies that you can lock-on to.

Worth mentioning is that this only works in the actual scholar version and not in the original, even with all the dlc added.
The scholar version did really need an "original layout" mode as an option or something though. I liked it but it was a bit hit or miss whether their changes were worthwhile or terrible. Did give an enjoyable replay though!

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Atmus posted:

Diablo 1 also had shrines that would give you an easily found/bought bonus but also permanently gently caress your character with like -10 max HP or something. Some of the zombies would randomly give you -max HP also.
Yeah, poo poo like the zombies I never found out about until someone did a Beyond Naked Mage run and talked about that on SA a while back.

hosed up poo poo.

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme

BioEnchanted posted:

I think my favourite FF final boss, even if it is kinda pasted on, is FF12s because I love how he isn't in control of the situation anymore. Vayne is basically just a puppet of the Rogue Occuria by the end, which is obvious because of how he looks walking out to the final arena in his weird penultimate furry-musclegiant form. His breathing is laboured, he's staggering, he's clearly in great pain and then as if things aren't bad enough his Fortress, The Bahamut, starts ripping itself apart and fusing to him, forcing him into a final last stand as the abomination that is Mecha-Bahamut (I know it's called the Undying, but seriously? All I saw was Mecha-Bahamut what with the giant mechanical bat wings). I just love the way that cutscene plays out.

I really liked that all the lore for the game's summons are "monstrous fusion of things as a result of defying the gods" and that's what the final boss is. The big stuff in the game has all happened before at least a dozen times. It feels natural in the setting's fiction, and rationalizes the villain's antipathy for the god's micromanagement (even if his motivation is as much megalomaniacal.)

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.
In Rise of the Tomb Raider, if you're near a waterfall or mist, you can catch rainbows if you angle the camera right.

It's super faint but it's there and I like it. It's one of those things where somebody had to make a conscious decision like "If you're by a waterfall, you can see a rainbow. Let's get on that." You wouldn't even notice if it wasn't there.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I don't know why I find this so funny, but the 1.6 patch notes for the Division includes this:

quote:

Legendary difficulty strips missions of all narrative, all checkpoints and focuses purely on combat scenarios.

I'm picturing a very disgruntled writer giving his level design counterpart the stink eye across their office.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

XCOM 1 and XCOM 2 both have really good soundtracks, but I appreciate how 2's is slightly dynamic; it's more electronic and cuts parts of the song out during the alien phases, then kicks all of it in and has it sound "loftier" when XCOM takes their action. Also, half the songs are remixes from 1, including one battle theme that's three combat themes from Enemy Unknown put together.

Toward the end of Gears of War 4, you finally meet back up with Baird and Cole and the game becomes fun again. Baird gives the main character a giant robot named Jack Jr., after the little drone from the last game. Player 2 gets "Second Betty", named after the truck thing from Gears 2. :haw:

It's not really a big deal but after how bland and boring the new characters are having the old ones show up and be interesting again is really nice, though the gameplay itself is fun. Also the game tries very hard to pretend that the new bad guys aren't the old ones but even the characters from the other games aren't trying to sell it. :v:

RBA Starblade has a new favorite as of 20:03 on Jan 23, 2017

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

poptart_fairy posted:

I don't know why I find this so funny, but the 1.6 patch notes for the Division includes this:

I'm picturing a very disgruntled writer giving his level design counterpart the stink eye across their office.

Hooray! Now maybe Kandel will shut the gently caress up during Hudson Refugee Center.

All MMO instances (or any grindy game) needs to have this option on high difficulty reruns. I sure don't need to listen to a nobody tech be told to find his balls every run, or a nobody soldier being told to sit out a fight.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Evilreaver posted:

Hooray! Now maybe Kandel will shut the gently caress up during Hudson Refugee Center.

All MMO instances (or any grindy game) needs to have this option on high difficulty reruns. I sure don't need to listen to a nobody tech be told to find his balls every run, or a nobody soldier being told to sit out a fight.

IIRC right now Legendary is only getting applied to Times Square, Power Plant and Napalm. Although they've said they're planning on adding more.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Watch Dogs 2 will sometimes have random citizens exercise their second amendment rights when poo poo starts going down. Like once I was fighting a street gang for some loot in one of their bases when a bystander whipped out a pistol and started fighting the gangsters too when the battle spilled out into the streets. Just now I jacked a car and the driver pulled a pistol and took a shot at me as I drove away from her. I can't think of another open world game that does that.

-Doing something random in Watch_Dogs 2 and roaming around.

-Spot a bunch of people running away and a red dot on my minimap.

-Investigate, no gang members or shooters anywhere.

-Spot a lady with a pistol drawn, she doesn't do anything except shuffle about, unsure of what her daily routine is anymore.

-Tag her as a pedophile or whatever and call the cops on her.

-Cops show up, AI proceeds to start bugging out. "GET ON THE GROUND!" "DROP YOUR WEAPON" x50. Poor lady has no clue what the gently caress is going on.

-A minute later, the AI decides to un-gently caress itself and the lady drops her gun. Cops advance, cuff her, and start walking back to the SWAT van.

-As they approach the van, more AI fucks up and some driver (Not a player) runs a stop sign, crashes into the SWAT van and drives off.

-Due to "bagging" a bad guy, the SWAT members can't be killed by being run over (or maybe its a quirk where AI can't run over other AI? :shrug). They all climb in the vehicle and drive off, scattering other AI and knocking over a fire hydrant.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

FF15: Noct's impression of Ignis in the moogle chocobo festival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I just finished Saint's Row 4, and a few things I loved:

The "NyteFall" mission: How the boss's attitude went from "Is this NyteBlade fanfiction?!?!" to "That's... compelling." to basically being a fan of NyteBlade over the course of the mission. Basically going :frogout: -> :frogon: -> :getin: by the end.
During one of the endgame missions (rescuing Kinzie from the 1950's sim) all your weapons are gone. When I opened the menu to see this, the boss commented that it was the saddest radial menu he's ever seen.

Asha's loyalty mission mocking the poo poo out of Metal Gear.