Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Captain America (1998) #17

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Toshimo posted:

Isn't Hawkman basically just DC's Dredd?

No because Dredd is good.

gus rules ok
Aug 2, 2016

Toshimo posted:

Isn't Hawkman basically just DC's Dredd?

Judge Dredd has been a consistent, almost always entirely in-continuity character with no reboots for just about 40 years now, so no.

Also what Endless Mike said.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Star Wars: Darth Vader #16

Palpatine has been grooming several possible replacements for Vader. One of them decided to take his shot.

"You come at the king, you best not miss."

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I'm disappointed that Palpy even had to ask and also the look of alarm/confusion/whatever on his face. His response should have been, "Yes, good."

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Toshimo posted:

Star Wars: Darth Vader #16

Palpatine has been grooming several possible replacements for Vader. One of them decided to take his shot.

"You come at the king, you best not miss."

This feels like it subverts the powerlessness and cowed subservience Vader exhibits in Return of the Jedi.

Toshimo posted:

Captain America (1998) #17

This would be cool if not for the really dumb insistence on not killing him, like oh my god Steve this is not the time and place.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

WickedHate posted:

This feels like it subverts the powerlessness and cowed subservience Vader exhibits in Return of the Jedi.

This would be cool if not for the really dumb insistence on not killing him, like oh my god Steve this is not the time and place.

Killing is just un-American.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Avulsion posted:

Killing is just un-American.

Have you met America?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

WickedHate posted:

He gets over it in about 6 pages.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
It's okay to actually aspire to your spoken ideals.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Toshimo posted:

He gets over it in about 6 pages.

Well there you go, I'm happy for him.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man
Hope I'm not too late to post lovely Hawkman panels!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Savidudeosoo posted:

Hope I'm not too late to post lovely Hawkman panels!

Injustice?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

I'm disappointed that Palpy even had to ask and also the look of alarm/confusion/whatever on his face. His response should have been, "Yes, good."

Sidious' whole thing is ignoring the Rule of Two and setting apprentices against one another so no-one ever surpasses him (hence why he beat the gently caress out of Maul and ordered Ventress' death in Clone Wars and was training Dooku at the same time as Maul). Vader trouncing his next choice could easily be a "oh... gently caress, he might be TOO strong..." moment.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Norns posted:

Injustice?
Injustice.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
I liked the Hawkman mini-series by Tim Truman. Not the ongoing. Just the mini.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

WickedHate posted:

I've only been able to glean little pieces of the newer comics, but it's all....weird. Half the time Vader's massively needy and Palpatine can't put up with him being so(Fair enough, being a broken man will do that, as is the 'I'm sick of your poo poo, Vader'), and half the time Palpatine is openly pushing him to break further, and/but the two are so antagonistic it's a wonder Vader held himself from killing him for so long, power difference or not.

I feel...there's something missing.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Bloodly posted:

I feel...there's something missing.

We call it "continuity".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It really isn't that complex.

Vader was a broken man. He had literally nothing going for him but clinging to what he'd already done because there was no going backwards. However he's also not enough of a self-loathing rear end in a top hat to kill himself. So Palpatine either wants to break him so he can be rid of the lovely half-life samurai he made or he wants to force him to step up and be the guy Palpatine actually wanted. Either way Palpatine wins. Vader eventually is willing to kill Palpatine to save his son's life because he finally has a way to break free of Palpatine's long-term gaslighting.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I've only read the Vader comics but they were really good and demonstrated the relationship that Vader has with the Emperor - a sort of hard knock dad / teacher and his cocky but underperforming pupil.

Palpatine basically has a Vader replacement program that causes tension while Vader also investigates the guy who blew up the Death Star.

Also ThreeZero and BT are awesome.

Here's some context:

and here's a great payoff later on. Note that they're gambling with stolen imperial funds and that ThreeZero is very bad at the game they're playing and knew this going in:

Sigma-X fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 18, 2017

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Superman 15

Someone is hunting the Supermen across the Multiverse, with Clark and some Multiversal JLAers picking the ones up they can find.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
It's the ship from Final Crisis yesssss

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I recently picked up the first trade for superman rebirth and I was really surprised by how good it was. Guess the later issues seem to be continuing that trend.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Monaghan posted:

I recently picked up the first trade for superman rebirth and I was really surprised by how good it was. Guess the later issues seem to be continuing that trend.

Superdad is a lot of fun to read and a fantastic direction for the character.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Personally, I think Martian Manhunter rules.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Personally, I think Martian Manhunter rules.

Yeah, he's easily my favorite character in New Frontier.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
...Is...is this Superman Beyond 3D redux? With multiple Supermen and the Ultima Thule?

How did I not know this?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I remember a series of panels (either one page or two) in which a group of antiheroes, including Deadpool and the Punisher, have teamed up. They were fighting a man who was using some power to make them feel joy. Everybody but Punisher was curled up on the ground laughing with delight after only a few steps, but Punisher slowly walked up to the guy and knocked him out of a window. It was really cool, and one of the very few Punisher moments I like. Does anybody have those panels?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Don't have the panels, but it was the Thunderbolts Annual by Acker and Blacker.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
It is indeed the Thunderbolts Annual, and it is magical.

And then they all go out for shwarma or at least get their memories altered to think they do.

Gnome de plume fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jan 22, 2017

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

That's it. Thank you!

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Gnome de plume posted:

It is indeed the Thunderbolts Annual, and it is magical.

And then they all go out for shwarma or at least get their memories altered to think they do.

These are very good panels

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Still talking when someone's just shot out both your knees is pretty hardcore.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
What Star War is that guy fighting in? That looks cool.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

`Yeah, I remember reading that at some point and it was just as awesome back then. It hit home how great Jedi were at handling threats non-lethally when they could and how you'd imagine a group who values life, even the sort of people he was fighting, would actually act when they had time to prepare. Like, hey, you're a bunch of people with what amounts to precognition and great reflexes and aim, why WOULDN'T you just disarm everyone and put them in jail? As long as you aren't fighting Sith or something and actually have a challenge, this just works in terms of execution.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Pretty sure that guy is going to bleed out from the two massive holes on his legs. Or they'll at least have to amputate them.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
How long has John Constantine been a Jedi?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sigma-X posted:

What Star War is that guy fighting in? That looks cool.

Story is "Incident At Horn Station" from Star Wars Tales #2.

The Jedi was never named in the story but I remember reading that he was possibly meant to be a young Qui-Gon Jinn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Rhonne posted:

Pretty sure that guy is going to bleed out from the two massive holes on his legs. Or they'll at least have to amputate them.

New limbs grow on trees in the Star Wars universe, I'm sure we'll see that guy walking on some hilarious stilt-like bits later.