Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

some guy on the bus posted:

How can you not like Maribel or be wanting more story than 7 has?

Where are you in it?

Dudes previous post says under 12 hours. So well before where the game gets fun in any way but before the fun wears off and it becomes a slog again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Len posted:

Dudes previous post says under 12 hours. So well before where the game gets fun in any way but before the fun wears off and it becomes a slog again.

I was trying to figure out if that was before the robot story I liked a lot. And the story with Linda and Pepe. I thought the beginning had plenty of neat stories. It's not until later that it starts to drag.

The 3rd town where you see the flashbacks of the doomed town was one of my favorite places in the series. I heard they cut that up in the remake though.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Genocyber posted:

I'm boring so I'll probably just go with Octavian or something similar.

Apparently we think the same.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I named him SonGoku

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

I named him WeedGoku

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
Picked up my copy just a little bit ago. I've been reading that instead of menu lag, this games localization was cursed with blurry text? Is it hard to read/distracting?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

pick-e posted:

Picked up my copy just a little bit ago. I've been reading that instead of menu lag, this games localization was cursed with blurry text? Is it hard to read/distracting?

What? It's not blurry at all.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

pick-e posted:

There's no menu lag and there's no blurry text

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

pick-e posted:

It looks kind of blurry to me. On a N3DS XL, cartridge version. It's not hard to read, but it is kind of distracting. A good comparison would be MH3U if you didn't go through the menus to turn 3D off--different from just setting your slider to off--though thankfully the text is also bigger in this. Maybe there's a menu option I'm missing to turn 3D off and fix it here too? Haven't tried parental control blocking 3D yet either.

edit: Okay, I don't think it's the 3D. Just, for whatever reason, some text is white with poorly anti-aliased edges while other text has a black border that makes it appear sharp. The poorly anti-aliased text shows up most often during voiced lines but also occasionally for others.

Decus fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 21, 2017

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

We need to start a DQ cover band, kinda like the Black Mages, called 'Yangus and the Guv'.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Today I learned that the A.I will not use items if set to Focus on Healing.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

Today I learned that the A.I will not use items if set to Focus on Healing.

It's for the best, you really don't want them spamming your Elfin Elixirs and poo poo, do you? I think it will use items that don't break if they're set to that though, like sages stones and the like.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Raitzeno posted:

We need to start a DQ cover band, kinda like the Black Mages, called 'Yangus and the Guv'.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Look if you want to be an uncreative poo poo in every DQ game just name your character Erdrick. :v:

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

What is this? The main character should always be named after you if it's a silent protagonist because it's supposed to be you.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Main character always named Jesus, in the hopes that there will be lots of dialogue where people go "Jesus! Help me!"

...because I'm metaphorically 12.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Len posted:

Getting jobs doesn't magically make the battle system good, and it shouldn't take that long to get them anyway. The game's appeal comes from the bite sized vignettes and how Ruff and Maribel react to them, and slowly piecing together a shattered world

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

some guy on the bus posted:

What is this? The main character should always be named after you if it's a silent protagonist because it's supposed to be you.

This is what I do.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
But I'm not an anime

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Looper posted:

Getting jobs doesn't magically make the battle system good, and it shouldn't take that long to get them anyway. The game's appeal comes from the bite sized vignettes and how Ruff and Maribel react to them, and slowly piecing together a shattered world

Pretty much this. Like, the battle system probably isn't the greatest for how easy it it to just instagib everything forever, but if you went into DQ7 knowing the basic gist of the premise and not expecting 80 hours of those cool little stories half the towns in these games have then I dunno what the hell. I do feel bad for people who expected that and still didn't get quite what they wanted though.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Calaveron posted:

But I'm not an anime

Now you are. Enjoy it.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Ceramics posted:

I'm genuinely impressed with how well the game runs and looks on the 3ds. I expected it to be a bit of an eyesore but its pretty nice.

Yeah, one of the first things I noticed is that the cursor movement in the menus feels way snappier than DQ7 on 3DS

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

ROFL Octopus posted:

There's no menu lag and there's no blurry text

lol oh so that was a known issue with DQ7?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Just got to the tower of alexandria, going with the old stand by of sword/spear/courage on the hero and axe/scythe with yangus. Game is already bursting with personality and likeable characters compared to 7

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm terrible with putting points in stats. Is there a general guide somewhere to tell me where to put points in all the party members?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ludwig van Halen posted:

lol oh so that was a known issue with DQ7?

Only the translated versions, oddly enough

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Looper posted:

Getting jobs does make the game bearable though, if only because getting the first couple AoE skills make the combat go quick and easy for the 99.9% of the rest of the game.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The text in DQ8 is totally a bit blurry, at least on an XL. Also disappointed by the much barer interface. And it's downright criminal that they didn't use the bottom screen for dialogue and instead opted to take up half of the top screen with it.

Otherwise it's fine and I'm looking forward for the significant content changes. Just disappointed about some presentation stuff that keeps it from being the definitive version of the game.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

In Training posted:

Only the translated versions, oddly enough

honestly it never really registered with me in the 55 hours or so I've put into dq7, but now that i've played 8 for a few minutes I'm just like :monocle:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I worry for everyone who does not use a boomerang early on in a Dragon Quest game. I know it'll become pretty underwhelming by midgame but so far my protag is almost strictly a Big Boomerang Boy

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm at the sullied sanctum in dq7 what are the win abilities so I can just cruise through all these battles? Lightning seems to have stopped being useful

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
So is there an actual reason as to why the localized version of 8 3DS doesn't have the orchestral music, or is the only thing we've heard the copout of "we had to give it up for voice acting"?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

All I ever used was boomerang as soon as I got one. I never wanted to give it up and go back to hitting just one enemy. There's too many battles for that. All of the boss battles were still easy even with the boomerang.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Ok, what should I know before starting VIII?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hivac posted:

So is there an actual reason as to why the localized version of 8 3DS doesn't have the orchestral music, or is the only thing we've heard the copout of "we had to give it up for voice acting"?

The composer is a fascist who doesn't like people using his music

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Hivac posted:

IIRC the composer is a massive rear end in a top hat for a variety of reasons and there was some sort of contractual issue for the tracks to be reused outside of Japan.

But hopefully a hack will be out soon to get the music back in as someone said before.

God drat, I got laid off the first of the year and I didn't preorder this and I can't find my PS2 copy. Until I get a new job and a non-unemployment paycheck I'll have to live vicariously through this thread.

E: beaten

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Okay, yeah, I figured it was just Sugiyama being a cock. The music is oddly loud too alongside the sound effects being sorta quiet.

I'll have to mess around and see how difficult it would be to replace the music as a romfs...

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Unmature posted:

Ok, what should I know before starting VIII?

Maybe look up a guide on good skill builds.

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/583527-dragon-quest-viii-journey-of-the-cursed-king/40808249

That's a guide that tells you new alchemy recipes for each story point. You can make some powerful stuff early on and imo it makes the game more fun.

Don't sell gold bars, orichalcum or slime crowns.

Other than that, just explore and have fun!

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

ROFL Octopus posted:

Maybe look up a guide on good skill builds.

A thing with this in particular is that a lot of the popular stuff from the PS2 version got nerfed into the ground, like Twin Dragon Lash. Be careful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hivac posted:

Okay, yeah, I figured it was just Sugiyama being a cock. The music is oddly loud too alongside the sound effects being sorta quiet.

I'll have to mess around and see how difficult it would be to replace the music as a romfs...

I think DQ7 had sound level options under Audio so you can play with the volumes of music/effects separately. Or in misremembering