Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
From page 2:

precision posted:

They're living in Ted Danson's personal Bad Place.

:smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

inthesto posted:

On the other hand, Adam Scott did show up in the tape for the middle place, and he clearly was in on the whole thing

On the other other hand if Mindy is real than that was filmed 30 years ago and everyone in Michael's charade had to have some kind of day job.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
On Eleanor's message being weak, I understand her rationale.

Memory wiped, she's a bad person. Her knowing she's in the bad place may not help, or may result in unexpected consequences or more importantly results in her not being the person she wants to be anymore. Step 1 is become herself again and for that she needs Chidi.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Ted Danson's evil cackle after being found out was glorious.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Literally everyone was trolling the main four the entire time. That's amazing.

Edit: including not being able to swear.

I hooe we get more Michael flashbacks or work scenes in season 2. I've been hoping the whole time for scenes showing more of the bureaucracy involved, and they finally did it!

Snak fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 20, 2017

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Their version of the bad place still seems way better than the real bad place. You'd think they would be fine with socal awkwardness as torture instead of having their skins ripped off forever.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Their version of the bad place still seems way better than the real bad place. You'd think they would be fine with socal awkwardness as torture instead of having their skins ripped off forever.

Now I am imagining some kinda, I dunno, hipster Cenobites.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Have you ever read No Exit?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

precision posted:

Have you ever read No Exit?

No, I've been really busy. Is it funny?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Regy Rusty posted:

At least Janet isn't evil

I don't think I could've taken that

"I'll rule the fart as inadmissible."

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

No, I've been really busy. Is it funny?

It's where the saying "Hell is other people" comes from.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Ideally you'd watch No Exit because it's a play, but it's a modern classic and shares almost the exact same premise as this show (key difference being that in No Exit, the audience does not know that the characters are in the afterlife)

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I enjoy being reminded of how juvenile my humor is by things like the Bad Janet fart.

Everytime Jason mentions his 'budhole' I can't help but bust out laughing.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

CountFosco posted:

A demon making a neighborhood in hell would consequently make mistakes, no matter how much they practice.

loving CALLED IT BITCHES

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Ok, now that I've got that out of my system, I'll be more composed.

It was fairly clear to me early on that there was something more fundamentally flawed about "the good place." A place which simple caters to your desires isn't a "good place" - it's a place to never be challenged. It's a stereotypical, childish imagination of heaven. When the sinkhole opened up, that was a big clue. It gave me the sense that this "good place" and "the bad place" were not so far apart, fundamentally. Further, as we learned about Chidi and Tahani, we learned that Tahani's motivations came from a place of envy, and Chidi lived in fear and paralysis.

Where I went wrong was in assuming that we would discover that other residents were seemingly good people but, like Chidi and Tahani, the more we got to know them, the more their flaws would become apparent. It did occur to me that it was possible they were phantoms, or false actors, placed or staged their for appearances, but I ultimately decided to discard this idea, as to hold it would assume that people which look like people aren't actually people (but rather are demons). Given that denying the humanity of others is, ya know, evil, I decided that it wasn't proper to merely assume that that was the case.

Michael, through his experiment, allowed someone bad to become good. That has consequences. He better expect a harrowing.

I could have sworn I had written more in this thread about how this was all an illusion, but looking back through the thread I can see that all I wrote was to compare Michael to a demon (bingo) and the situation Eleanor faces to the one faced by Yudhishthira, which I think is a fairly decent reference to someone in the afterlife being given a false vision and having to dispel that illusion through ethics. I have been watching the show with a friend of mine, and I discussed my hunch out loud with him, and then must have imagined that I elaborated more on it on the forum.

The important thing to remember is that there is absolutely hope. These are demons: therefore they lie. But do they only lie to the four main characters? No, they lie to themselves. They make mistakes. Good Janet will probably end up being the key to all of this.

In one of my darker moments, I imagined that Janet was potentially a human soul brainwashed by Michael into thinking that she was "Janet" and that this was her hell. I'm glad that doesn't seem to be the case, as that'd be pretty unpleasant. But now the writers have to write themselves out of the problem, of how does the bad place acquire a good Janet? My current theory: the Good Place deliberately allowed Janet to be "stolen" as a sort of Trojan Horse.

CountFosco fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 20, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Just watched the finale, and all I have to say is OH HOLKY FORK
That cliffhanger makes me feel like it is me who is in The Bad Place.

blue squares posted:

That feels mildly sexist.... "this man doesn't love me so I want eternal Hell"

I thought so too, but I guess that's well explained by the turn.

CountFosco posted:

In one of my darker moments, I imagined that Janet was potentially a human soul brainwashed by Michael into thinking that she was "Janet" and that this was her hell. I'm glad that doesn't seem to be the case, as that'd be pretty unpleasant. But now the writers have to write themselves out of the problem, of how does the bad place acquire a good Janet? My current theory: the Good Place deliberately allowed Janet to be "stolen" as a sort of Trojan Horse.

Yeah, I find myself having trouble determining what the real Good Place could be, if God / "The Big Guy" is enough of a dick to let this idea pass, unless Janet was intentionally placed in there to help the four of them become good enough people to go to the real Good Place. And it seems like they all helped each other become better people, with the exception of Jason who was just a total selfish dick for the last two episodes.

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 20, 2017

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Me in episode 1: "This better not turn out to actually be the Bad Place because that would be totally cliche."

Me in the last episode: "They totally pulled that forking off."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just rewatched the Jason/Janet wedding and I want to say, that remains the funniest forking thing I've seen in I don't know how long.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

It's kind of amazing how not being able to curse was actually part of the torture on Eleanor.

The only way that could have been better was if it was revealed that this was not their first cycle through.

Now to go through my post history to see how close I got:

raditts posted:

Yeah, The Bad Place's version of "torture" is probably just being around people that do really awful and obnoxious stuff, like microwaving fish in the office break room or whatever it was Michael mentioned... forever. As they say, hell is other people.

I guess I was kinda close, eh?

raditts fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 21, 2017

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

I like how her new soulmate is a mailman who likes to take his shirt off.

Also, I think the whole idea that Michael came up with is more about physical torture boring the poo poo out of demons after a while. He always emphasizes on making things fun for them, rather than it being a more effective form of torture or whatever.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Yeah, a lot of it seems to stem from the fact that it's at least a *different* kind of fun. Like the private investigator/marriage counselor who probably just had a blast blending in and watching Eleanor and Chidi melt down.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I just realized that I'm going to have to hang up my farging Johnny Dangerously fake curses because of this forking show.

I'll try not to be too much of an icehole or a bastage about it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I noticed on the list of Elinor's many negative point earning events was "Scalped Epipens (x4)".

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Is this the page where we all pat ourselves on the back for guessing they were in the Bad Place?

General Dog posted:

Has anybody guessed that they're actually in the Bad Place yet?

I think they're in the Bad Place, or possibly Cincinnati.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Well the point of "The Good Place" isn't that it's worse for the people, just that it's more interesting and more fun for the audience writers architects. Besides, they only plan on doing it for 1000 years, there will still be plenty of time after that for limb ripping, flaying, etc.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Well no, I did not see the forking twist coming, and it bums me out a little because I liked flibbertigibbet Michael more than evil scheming Michael.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

So wait... Was Michael originally designing a neighborhood for hell before he came up with "the good place"? Do they get special torture neighborhoods normally or something?
He said that they usually just design the place and move on, which seems odd if Adam Scott is usually the guy that runs things and tortures people and stuff. I would wonder if a Good Place exists at all, if they hadn't established that Janet was from one of them.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

raditts posted:

So wait... Was Michael originally designing a neighborhood for hell before he came up with "the good place"? Do they get special torture neighborhoods normally or something?
He said that they usually just design the place and move on, which seems odd if Adam Scott is usually the guy that runs things and tortures people and stuff. I would wonder if a Good Place exists at all, if they hadn't established that Janet was from one of them.

It seems that literally every single character except for Elenor/Jason/Chidi/Tahani (and Janet) is in on the joke. Just like how Shawn is one of Michael's co-workers (well, more accurately boss) who played a fake part for kicks, Trevor is probably another one of Michael's colleagues who wanted to jump in on the fun train.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is bad Janet dressed like whosits from Grease?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I have to write opinion columns as part of my job. One thing I wrote last month was "2016 sucked, but new sitcoms were great," and profiled The Good Place as one of 3 new comedies to watch. It was a j/o piece trying to avoid politics in a super red part of the Midwest. I pretty much concluded that "if 2016 was the bad place (prefaced in my opening with comments about cool people dying, lovely politics etc), let's hope 2017 is the good place." I'm so sorry and hope we're not all in Hell.

That said, bravo Ken Tremendous. Kudos to lindeoff who helped him frame this season. I never watched lost, but the leftovers is incredibly my poo poo. And I never saw that ending coming. Holy shirt.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

howe_sam posted:

Well no, I did not see the forking twist coming, and it bums me out a little because I liked flibbertigibbet Michael more than evil scheming Michael.

I think we'll still see plenty of nice Michael. He'll at least have to keep up the guise, and I wouldn't be surprised if he erases his own memories the next go-around to be more convincing.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Rocksicles posted:

Is bad Janet dressed like whosits from Grease?

No idea, but my wife noticed Michael and Janet were dressed identically in purple vests and green shirts last episode. Wtf could that be in reference to? Old joker outfits?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Eat This Glob posted:

No idea, but my wife noticed Michael and Janet were dressed identically in purple vests and green shirts last episode. Wtf could that be in reference to? Old joker outfits?
Michael was wearing Janet's cloths when he delivered the froyo to Chidi and Tahani because he was filling in for Janet.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

howe_sam posted:

Michael was wearing Janet's cloths when he delivered the froyo to Chidi and Tahani because he was filling in for Janet.

Ah poo poo, nice catch

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

What a great show. A few additional episodes centered around Chidi lecturing on a different topic in ethics would have been nice, as I liked how the episodes further explored those concepts through the plot. I guess they only had so many episodes to work with. Jason's unexpected mastery of Consequentialism was excellent.

Also Bad Janet must be real (ie. not a bad place employee playing a role) as they were able to use the Janet-specific walkie-talkie feature to communicate through Good Janet.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Nocturtle posted:

What a great show. A few additional episodes centered around Chidi lecturing on a different topic in ethics would have been nice, as I liked how the episodes further explored those concepts through the plot. I guess they only had so many episodes to work with. Jason's unexpected mastery of Consequentialism was excellent.

Also Bad Janet must be real (ie. not a bad place employee playing a role) as they were able to use the Janet-specific walkie-talkie feature to communicate through Good Janet.

There's no reason to think we won't get more Chidi lectures.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

"Can anyone access our search history, or is this an incognito browsing situation, like when you're stalking a hot mailman from your work computer."

Eleanor has had a thing for mailmen since day one.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Chidi's portrayal of a philosophy professor is wholly unrealistic and unbelievable because he's not a raging alcoholic

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
This is honestly the best comedy to come along in at least a decade. The jokes can be both subtle and in your face. It's witty, intelligent, and every single person on it is awesome.

Although it seems like an awful lot of time and manpower just to torture four people. It seems like Todd the firemonster (?) could easily torture the four of them by himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

raditts posted:

Yeah, I find myself having trouble determining what the real Good Place could be, if God / "The Big Guy" is enough of a dick to let this idea pass, unless Janet was intentionally placed in there to help the four of them become good enough people to go to the real Good Place. And it seems like they all helped each other become better people, with the exception of Jason who was just a total selfish dick for the last two episodes.

To be fair Michael invented a perfect mechanism for turning terrible people into better people. It's like "What does God think about this?" and the answer is just :smug:.

• Locked thread