Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

You were probably psychotic when you were recruited. You didn't have malaria then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

My favourite arty experience is being called in because ther gun-laying computers don't work. These things are pretty much ruggedized touch-screens.

What could go wrong?

Well... they powerwashed them.

'But they're rainproof!'

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know if it was because my BSM was a crotchety old gently caress who hated technology or if they were always constantly broken(both valid options), but I've only ever used the DGMS twice and the first time was when we were being put through the M777 course.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Maybe they got rid of ADATS and M109 because gunners can't be trusted with anything they could both fire in the wrong direction and crash.

12gaugelobotomy
Apr 25, 2012
I did medical support on an arty ex once I got to pull the cord which was cool as tits.

On the same day I also got to watch a gunner lean into the recoil of the Carl G, shoot the berm in front of him, then everyone played a high stakes game of spin the bottle before the fins deployed and it took off into the swamp. Puckered my butthole.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
On a hockey-related aside, it seems like they're taking down the ball hockey rink at KAF - some of the boards are slated to go to the Canadian War Museum, and there's talk of some also going to the Hockey Hall of Fame in TO.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

What's the story with the CDS leaking things?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

What's the story with the CDS leaking things?

VCDS. Allegedly.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.

Canuck-Errant posted:

On a hockey-related aside, it seems like they're taking down the ball hockey rink at KAF - some of the boards are slated to go to the Canadian War Museum, and there's talk of some also going to the Hockey Hall of Fame in TO.

Replica of that piece of poo poo white schoolhouse or bust.

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/leak-of-information-about-shipbuilding-plans-behind-removal-of-senior-military-officer-sources-say

Loose lips sink ships (even the incomplete ones apparently).

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I swear to God if we have another loving procurement scandal...

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Frosted Flake posted:

I swear to God if we have another loving procurement scandal...

Every procurement is a scandal.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

MA-Horus posted:

Every procurement is a scandal.

Well, it depends on whether all clusterfucks are scandals. They're definitely all clusterfucks.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

stevobob fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 16, 2017

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

stevobob posted:

New CANFORGEN says TCAT/PCAT will no longer cause promotion ineligibility. This is good.

For a civilian who follows this thread, can I get a translation to English on this?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

If you're in line for a promotion, then you become too hurt to work, they can't gently caress you by taking that promotion away and giving it to someone else.

Incidentally, this'd also make it a lot easier to promote people you'd rather not have around so they could be transferred elsewhere. Not that it was that hard to begin with, if what I saw was any indication

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I've been hurt for 3 years, could I make rank before I get out now?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

I've been hurt for 3 years, could I make rank before I get out now?

emotional injury still doesn't qualify you for a chit though

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

What if I try really hard to befriend the SNCOs and go to all the "optional" BBQs?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Frosted Flake posted:

What if I try really hard to befriend the SNCOs

Years of injury, trying to brownnose with everyone of any type of rank... A-are you on course with me?!

All this time, you were so close nearby :gonk:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I had a course with a guy who was famous for never doing PT in all his courses and still making Cpl. He would precariously balance his ailments being serious enough to avoid PT but not serious enough to land him on TCAT. It didn't always work and he did BMQ, SQ and DP 1 all twice, or so the story goes.

e: I'm in JSPU, we all skate down here.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

So, like, the RCMP website is fairly useless. Emailing the recruiter was more so.

How does the switch to RCMP work as a CF member? Do I have to release and apply or can I submit the application while serving and get a deferred entry date depending on when the CF releases me?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
eh, don't feel like getting into that. disregard

acumen fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 24, 2017

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Hope you have a good buffer of money for Depot, and you're going to end up in BC so expect to bunk up with a few room mates to pay rent.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Hizawk posted:

So, like, the RCMP website is fairly useless. Emailing the recruiter was more so.

How does the switch to RCMP work as a CF member? Do I have to release and apply or can I submit the application while serving and get a deferred entry date depending on when the CF releases me?

Do the second one, unless you've publicly beheaded and eaten one of your CM's pets recently.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Vadoc posted:

Hope you have a good buffer of money for Depot, and you're going to end up in BC so expect to bunk up with a few room mates to pay rent.

I've heard they're paying actual grownup money to cadets at depot now. Not a full wage, but not "nothing" like they used to.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Oh good, I always thought that was a really lovely thing to do since everyone has bills to be paid plus possible emergency expenses that some basic amount of income needs to happen.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
It was a really easy way to make sure you didn't have people with actual life experience applying, since having a mortgage basically made it impossible to join.

Unless your spouse had a well-paying career, which also made it impossible to join. :v:

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of, I heard the RCMP are desperate for people. Anyone know what the process is like?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Speaking of, I heard the RCMP are desperate for people. Anyone know what the process is like?

The process is described online. They've been trying to trim the timeline down, but I think it's still almost a year from application date to being at depot, from the most recent guys I've talked to.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Oh hey, I finally heard back from Veterans Affairs - I guess I qualify for a position with them in Winterpeg, so long as I can pass a French language exam :toot:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I heard RCMP wants as many as they can get. Expect to wait though.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Does anyone have any experience being a Marine Systems Engineering Officer? I'm planning to do it through the ROTP path and wondering what the job is actually like and whether I'm an idiot for considering it.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Also nursing officer. Anyone know any nursing officers? Good gig or no?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I heard it's good and there are a variety of roles within the trade. Case Managers at CFHS are Nursing Officers, which is obviously very different than working in KAF Role 3.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Man, I didn't even know nursing officer was a thing. I have literally never ran across a single one. Then again, I never spent any time at CFHS and only minimal time at the MIR.

Also I got an email from the CBSA today, my application is moving forward. Now to apply to the RCMP as a backup.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Bit of bad timing on the CBSA thing, though - apparently the union still hasn't been able to reach an agreement with PSAC and talks have apparently been broken off as of today.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

BigLeafyTree posted:

Does anyone have any experience being a Marine Systems Engineering Officer? I'm planning to do it through the ROTP path and wondering what the job is actually like and whether I'm an idiot for considering it.

I'm a CSEO, which is pretty much the same as an MSEO with the exception of field of study. Its 4 years of university, followed by another year of specialized schooling (which for you includes about 3 months in England at HMS Sultan), follow by a year of on-the-job learning on a warship (called Phase VI). In this phase you are primarily a student and your job is to learn all the systems on the ship (at a high level) within your specialty, as well as gain some useful qualifications like Officer of the Day. After that is 0-2 years of a shore based support job while you wait for your number to come up to get back onboard a warship to do your next year of training as an Assistant Head of Department (A/HOD). In the A/HOD phase you will take on more of a management role within your department as you learn the ins and outs of being the head of the Marine Systems department at sea. While it still requires a lot of technical knowledge, your biggest hurdles will come from the personnel side.

A/HOD training lasts about a year, then you get 0-3 years ashore (in jobs too varied and numerous to list) while you wait for your number to come up to get your Head of Department tour, which is generally 18-24 months. This is your last drive at sea and the culmination of the ~3-5 years of training. You will run the MSE Department onboard a warship, which depending on which one you get could be around ~60-70 people. The job is largely administrative in nature with a few operational additions (notably damage control).

Then, unless you gently caress up majorly, you'll be given a firm handshake and promoted to LCdr and sent ashore for the rest of your career while doing various support roles mostly related to Project Management or Engineering Support. But as you can see that is pretty far into the future.

All of this applies to the surface career track. If you go submarines like I did then your timelines and job roles will diverge quite significantly after your Phase VI.

Any more questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Canuck-Errant posted:

Bit of bad timing on the CBSA thing, though - apparently the union still hasn't been able to reach an agreement with PSAC and talks have apparently been broken off as of today.

Oddly enough, today RUMINT indicatied that the military pay raise was all but confirmed and would be a buck twenty-five going back to 2013. The names attached to the source are credible but it was relayed through someone who isn't, so I guess all this is to say that no-one knows nothing.

LCdr. Jebus posted:

Then, unless you gently caress up majorly, you'll be given a firm handshake and promoted to navy major

I work in a place where the Os have single digit promotion rates a year. Senior officers travel in packs to avoid predatory captains who entertain thoughts about thinning the herd to create some extra line numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Canuck-Errant posted:

Well, I don't know what that means for hiring. I doubt they'll freeze hiring, at least, I hope they won't.