Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

why the hell are so many Dems lining up to suck off Mattis anyway, I thought he wanted to go to beat with iran

war with Iran means less Trump voters in 4 years - indirectly and... directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Im glad the innaguaration is curing people's souls.

http://www.dsausa.org/basic_resources

Download the organizing guide and read it, it's basically a how to guide for starting a DSA chapter and growing it, but all of the good info in it is also applicable to any other progressive group or even the Democratic party if you have a little imagination.

Im handing out DSA literature at the march im going to tomorrow, and then throughout the year at the places suggested in the DSA guide.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

there was a protest here in boston but i wasnt up for going, too tired from work

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

compdate: my casemod is still making a pulsing sound after replacing the 14" automotive radiator fan. I guess I'll have to deep six it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pollyanna posted:

there was a protest here in boston but i wasnt up for going, too tired from work

you don't have to go to literally everything, thankfully there will be a lot of protests to go to with trump's agenda

wait a minute...

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
For people wondering why people love Mattis.

Military love him because of quotes like this;

“The first time you blow someone away is not an insignificant event. That said, there are some assholes in the world that just need to be shot.”

(Speech to Marines at al Asad)

“I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f--k with me, I’ll kill you all.”

(To Iraqi military leaders shortly after second Iraq War’s beginning)

“Marines don’t know how to spell the word defeat."

(A favorite slogan of Mattis’)

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."

(Advice to soldiers before second Iraq invasion)

“The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.

(A favorite intellectual thought of his)

“Engage your brain before you engage your weapon.

(Advice to all Marines)

“No war is over until the enemy says it’s over. We may think it over, we may declare it over, but in fact, the enemy gets a vote.

(One of the more controversial thoughts by Mattis)

“I’m going to plead with you, do not cross us. Because if you do, the survivors will write about what we do here for 10,000 years.

(A word of advice to enemies)

“You go into Afghanistan, you got guys who slap women around for five years because they didn’t wear a veil. You know, guys like that ain’t got no manhood left anyway. So it’s a hell of a lot of fun to shoot them. Actually it’s quite fun to fight them, you know. It’s a hell of a hoot. It’s fun to shoot some people. I’ll be right up there with you. I like brawling.”

(In a 2005 panel discussion about fighting the Taliban)

And

While serving in Afghanistan as a brigadier general, he was known as an officer who engaged his men with "real leadership". A young Marine officer named Nathaniel Fick cited an example of that leadership when he witnessed Mattis in a fighting hole talking with a sergeant and lance corporal: "No one would have questioned Mattis if he'd slept eight hours each night in a private room, to be woken each morning by an aide who ironed his uniforms and heated his MREs. But there he was, in the middle of a freezing night, out on the lines with his Marines."

Non military nevertrumpers/dems like him because he's anti-Russia and pro-nato and thinks our allies are important.

A nice thing is that he's for a 2-state solution and thinks a lot of anti American sentiment in middle Eastern countries is related to our support of Israel wrt Palestine.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I think mattis is really loving cool

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ace of Baes posted:

A nice thing is that he's for a 2-state solution and thinks a lot of anti American sentiment in middle Eastern countries is related to our support of Israel wrt Palestine.

well, at least there's that

Baloogan posted:

I think mattis is really loving cool

eh, im kinda wary of him just by nature of him being a general and former marine, he's okay at best

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
spenser getting punched is already a meme, and that is some fine, fine praxis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHYukFQUlhI

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ace of Baes posted:

For people wondering why people love Mattis.

Military love him because of quotes like this;

“The first time you blow someone away is not an insignificant event. That said, there are some assholes in the world that just need to be shot.”

(Speech to Marines at al Asad)

“I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f--k with me, I’ll kill you all.”

(To Iraqi military leaders shortly after second Iraq War’s beginning)

(A favorite slogan of Mattis’)

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."

(Advice to soldiers before second Iraq invasion)

“The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.

(A favorite intellectual thought of his)

“Engage your brain before you engage your weapon.

(Advice to all Marines)

“No war is over until the enemy says it’s over. We may think it over, we may declare it over, but in fact, the enemy gets a vote.

(One of the more controversial thoughts by Mattis)

“I’m going to plead with you, do not cross us. Because if you do, the survivors will write about what we do here for 10,000 years.

(A word of advice to enemies)

“You go into Afghanistan, you got guys who slap women around for five years because they didn’t wear a veil. You know, guys like that ain’t got no manhood left anyway. So it’s a hell of a lot of fun to shoot them. Actually it’s quite fun to fight them, you know. It’s a hell of a hoot. It’s fun to shoot some people. I’ll be right up there with you. I like brawling.”

(In a 2005 panel discussion about fighting the Taliban)

And

While serving in Afghanistan as a brigadier general, he was known as an officer who engaged his men with "real leadership". A young Marine officer named Nathaniel Fick cited an example of that leadership when he witnessed Mattis in a fighting hole talking with a sergeant and lance corporal: "No one would have questioned Mattis if he'd slept eight hours each night in a private room, to be woken each morning by an aide who ironed his uniforms and heated his MREs. But there he was, in the middle of a freezing night, out on the lines with his Marines."

Non military nevertrumpers/dems like him because he's anti-Russia and pro-nato and thinks our allies are important.

Mattis is a huge turd who personally is an absolute garbo person and professionally is at best 'not that bad' but sadly he's the closest to sane we have in trump's cabinet because everyone else is either a literal segregationist, a donor being rewarded, or a goddamn russian shill

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

is very correct tho, but not for the reasons he thinks

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
mattis told trump to his face that torture doesn't work, making him the most sane and reasonable person in the trump administration

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pomp posted:

mattis told trump to his face that torture doesn't work, making him the most sane and reasonable person in the trump administration

reminder that trump literally, by all accounts, hired him because 'mad dog mattis' sounded really cool.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Mattis is the least of our worries and will probably get run out of there after he tells Donny "no" one too many times.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
TRUMP

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
remember how trump kept calling him 'mad dog mattis' but then when the infamous 'torture doesn't work' talk happened it became just general mattis and he stopped hyping mattis up so much? Trump is literally so stupid he believed a nickname.

Now excuse me while I, Big Dick Smart Man Tatum Girlparts apply for a vacant position in the administration.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Shear Modulus posted:

lmao if anyone thinks the 2018 and 2020 elections are going to be free and fair

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I figured all Marine officers talked constantly about how awesome and morally good it was to kill people.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

That is some expert cropping

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

I figured all Marine officers talked constantly about how awesome and morally good it was to kill people.

Marines are in many quantifiable ways far worse people than all other branches of the military. There was an anonymous poll done of marines vs army soldiers in terms of who would report their squadmates for various war crimes, and less than half of marines said they'd report their squadmate for murder.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Samurai Sanders posted:

I mean, yea it's probably real hard to find a guy high up in the ranks who hasn't made a few 'haha yea we fuckin owned those retards, with our bombs, on their village, haha that was cool' comments. Still Mattis is super into the idea that the american military is some noble 'last resort' that will absolutely lay waste to anything in their path because they HAVE TO drat IT. It's a really creepy worldview held mainly by sociopaths.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

click

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

my 11th grade us history teacher was an army vet who was some kind of tank nco in desert storm and he made so many jokes about marines being dumbshits, it owned

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

my 11th grade us history teacher was an army vet who was some kind of tank nco in desert storm and he made so many jokes about marines being dumbshits, it owned

coincidentally the last republican i ever met who i respected was this man, a schoolteacher

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

zegermans posted:

Marines are in many quantifiable ways far worse people than all other branches of the military. There was an anonymous poll done of marines vs army soldiers in terms of who would report their squadmates for various war crimes, and less than half of marines said they'd report their squadmate for murder.
I've only been punched a few times in my life and once was by a Marine after I accidentally suggested he was in the army. Then, years later I heard the argument from a Marine that their organization existed to create a bunch of motherfuckers so scary and unpredictable that no one in their right mind would ever think of tangling with them in the first place. So uh...success?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've only been punched a few times in my life and once was by a Marine after I accidentally suggested he was in the army. Then, years later I heard the argument from a Marine that their organization existed to create a bunch of motherfuckers so scary and unpredictable that no one in their right mind would ever think of tangling with them in the first place. So uh...success?

Yeah people who join the military for college or serving their country or whatever join other branches. Those that want to hurt and kill people and get paid to do it instead of getting locked up join the marines. Which I guess is good for war, but they don't stop being total garbage people after they get out.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

zegermans posted:

Yeah people who join the military for college or serving their country or whatever join other branches. Those that want to hurt and kill people and get paid to do it instead of getting locked up join the marines. Which I guess is good for war, but they don't stop being total garbage people after they get out.
The first person I mentioned was definitely that; he had a infamous violence problem in high school, though I think a lot of it was talked up by him, since he wanted to be seen that way. I guess he found his calling in life.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Mattie's as SECDEF is by far the most qualified and sane cabinet member so far. I highly doubt he will last because, despite his hawkish leanings, he is a thoughtful and educated man who I very much doubt will be a rubber stamp for Trump's worst angels. 6 months. Year at the outside.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Would DeVos have the authority to cancel the loan forgivness program, or would that require a paul ryan special? Because I feel like that's something I could see Trump vetoing if the right person yells in his ear at the right time and/or tips off Bannon to an all you can eat buffalo wild wings dinner.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

mattis is fine

i mean of course he's said some bloodthirsty poo poo to motivate soldiers, that's what you do in that kind of position. your average shitheel marine general would never in a million years say anything like

Mattis posted:

No war is over until the enemy says it’s over. We may think it over, we may declare it over, but in fact, the enemy gets a vote.

which shows an understanding that slaughter is not a panacea

obama literally dismissed him from centcom because he pushed everyone too hard to consider the long-term consequences of conflict with iran. mattis is now literally the only reason i'm not nervous about the world ending in nuclear hellfire, at least for the moment

Jazerus has issued a correction as of 05:17 on Jan 21, 2017

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

liberals.jpg

If I ever come across like Cory Ander, I'm sorry.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

zegermans posted:

All the meatheads from my high school football team that joined the service went USMC the smarter guys from my water polo team went Air Force Academy.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

Shear Modulus posted:

coincidentally the last republican i ever met who i respected was this man, a schoolteacher

oh, oh, oh! said republican us history public school teacher also led the majority of the class in mocking this one student who said the civil war was about "states' rights" and not slavery. this was in texas btw

i hope he didnt vote for trump

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

this seems to be a running theme with people who voluntarily leave the military

for some reason it's less about ARE TROOPS and more "the military is a loving clownshow"

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Yinlock posted:

this seems to be a running theme with people who voluntarily leave the military

for some reason it's less about ARE TROOPS and more "the military is a loving clownshow"

the army-marine rivalry is a huuuge thing

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

also looking at twitter comments, because i hate myself and others, the newest alt-right hate target seems to be commies, so have fun with that

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Yinlock posted:

also looking at twitter comments, because i hate myself and others, the newest alt-right hate target seems to be commies, so have fun with that

That always been their enemy though. Communism was always Chaos Undivided, while Blacks/Jews/Gays were just offshoots like Khorne, Tzeench, and Nurgle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

zegermans posted:

Would DeVos have the authority to cancel the loan forgivness program, or would that require a paul ryan special? Because I feel like that's something I could see Trump vetoing if the right person yells in his ear at the right time and/or tips off Bannon to an all you can eat buffalo wild wings dinner.

I THINK that's a congress action, yea. I'm sure she can do something stupid with loans though.

• Locked thread