Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

After the Heat and the Drive I was convinced they had some kind of reverb/delay box to reveal. Part MachineDrum, part MPC is a little weird and I'm looking forward to seeing the workflow. Still lusting after that Analog Heat....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W424
Oct 21, 2010

If the sampler engine is not just for one shots/extremely basic, I'm interested. I definetly need more hardware never to be used in actual production work.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

W424 posted:

If the sampler engine is not just for one shots/extremely basic, I'm interested. I definetly need more hardware never to be used in actual production work.

Seeing the full videos now it looks like a hybrid between the Octatrack's MIDI and the RYTM's sampling. I've already got the RYTM so it's mostly redundant, but it's a nice piece of gear. Also interested in seeing the new Elektron workflow; after years of the "don't worry, it'll all make sense after many hours of practice" this one apparently is quite different.

Still tempted by the Octatrack; hopefully it's not discontinued as the rumors have it.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

stillvisions posted:

Seeing the full videos now it looks like a hybrid between the Octatrack's MIDI and the RYTM's sampling. I've already got the RYTM so it's mostly redundant, but it's a nice piece of gear. Also interested in seeing the new Elektron workflow; after years of the "don't worry, it'll all make sense after many hours of practice" this one apparently is quite different.

Still tempted by the Octatrack; hopefully it's not discontinued as the rumors have it.

I hope it's not just the limited polyphonic OT's midi but instead an improved version of it.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I guess I'm leaning towards the RYTM unless a used machine drum pops up. It looks great if you need a drum machine / sequencer but it doesn't look like it's meant for people who already have an instrument or two from Elektron (save maybe the A4). I'm hoping they show off some sounds and more on the manipulation but this will probably be close to a thousand bucks here in Canada, and I can find used octatracks and have seen MDs go for about that.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

I'm really jonesing for the DSI Rev 2.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice

khysanth posted:

I'm really jonesing for the DSI Rev 2.

The Rev2 does look like a beast and a massive value. My biggest complaint with the 08 is the lack of onboard effects.

The thing I'm most excited about is an SEM voice in eurorack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw8pKlKL-SU.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
speaking of onboard fx, guess who ordered a TB 03 from perfect circuit today?

and an LZX Visual Cortex to fill the hole in my euro case since I sold Maths to buy math books :getin:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Bolange posted:

The thing I'm most excited about is an SEM voice in eurorack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw8pKlKL-SU.

And the effects boxes too. :psylon:

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

the wmd presentation is particularly good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPW-n9lMX0c

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

I have something of a dickish question because it's probably obvious, but I've been shopping for what I would call a 'main synth': knob-per-function, nice sounding oscillators, complete filter set and ~49 keys. I've been converging on the System8 and actually played with one this morning.
My question: Is the System8 little more than a doubled-system1 with a sequencer added to it? I love the System1 I have (thus why I was looking at the System 8), and I just feel like I could buy a second System1 and have an equivalent capability since the sequencer doesn't mean anything. I have to be an idiot here, what am I missing?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

It's got 8 voices, not 2, right? Also the poly plugouts (the Jupiter 8 one!). But yeah, it's a similar instrument.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

FormulaXFD posted:

I have something of a dickish question because it's probably obvious, but I've been shopping for what I would call a 'main synth': knob-per-function, nice sounding oscillators, complete filter set and ~49 keys. I've been converging on the System8 and actually played with one this morning.
My question: Is the System8 little more than a doubled-system1 with a sequencer added to it? I love the System1 I have (thus why I was looking at the System 8), and I just feel like I could buy a second System1 and have an equivalent capability since the sequencer doesn't mean anything. I have to be an idiot here, what am I missing?

IIRC you can't get the same plug-out's for the system 1 like the jupiter 8 that you can on the system 8 even if you have 2 system 1's. The system 8 supposedly has the improved ACB that's in the second gen boutiques like the TR-09 and TB-03.

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

JamesKPolk posted:

It's got 8 voices, not 2, right? Also the poly plugouts (the Jupiter 8 one!). But yeah, it's a similar instrument.

Gringostar posted:

IIRC you can't get the same plug-out's for the system 1 like the jupiter 8 that you can on the system 8 even if you have 2 system 1's. The system 8 supposedly has the improved ACB that's in the second gen boutiques like the TR-09 and TB-03.

Yeah this is all correct. The System1 only gets the ... 'lower tier' items like the SH101 and such, while the '8 gets the Juno and Jupiters.

I'm otherwise interested in the Rev2, but the closest I could demo was an OB-6 which while it had an incredible build quality, I found myself a bit lost in trying to dial in some sounds. It presented itself as what I've found with various VSTIs: really powerful, but it'll take some time to really 'learn' how to use. The System8, by contrast, I got going very quickly.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Thats kind of the DSI versus the Roland philosophy - a lot of what people like about Roland synths is that they're 100% sweet spot, i.e. there isn't a way to turn the knobs that makes them sound bad. They did this by limiting what you could route where and ranges of a lot of knobs and stuff (like I think the filter env amount on the Jupiter 8 only goes like half the range of the filter or something? things like that).

Sequential and especially DSI, by contrast, let you do a lot more routing, and turn the knobs to bad values - which is how you get some of those weird Carpenter effects, etc. And much deeper modulation matrices on the DSI stuff than on Roland stuff (it's been a bit of a culture shock to me trying to program my JP-8080 after being so used to the Evolver/Blofeld assign-whatever-wherever paradigm). This is at the expense of immediacy, and you really have to know all the tricks to sqeeuze out amazing sounds... though the pay-off can be awesome and learning why a patch sounds bad can teach you a ton about making them sound good.

I learned synthesis on a x0xb0x and an Evolver which are kind of the extremes of both of those, and I've really come to appreciate just how easy Roland stuff is to use... but I'm not sure I would get why they are so well designed if I hadn't spent so much time struggling with the opposite. Though that could be the stockholm syndrome talking.

I lust over OB-6s, but the Rev2 does nothing for me - listen to a LOT of filter demos before you jump, it's the same one as the original, Evolvers, Mophos + Tetras, and I thinkkkk Oberheim Matrix 1000s (or similar at least). It's got a character and it's not great - kind of brassy, weak, and not great for bass. Clean-sounding, though. And it's kind of become the sound for generic aughts 'synthpop', which may or may not be what you want (whereas I think of Junos and Jupiters as the first wave go-tos) (don't quote me on this).

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I love the additions made to the Prophet '08 architecture, but I really dislike the name "REV2." It feels like a development codename instead of a proper release title. I also don't like the Prophet 5-inspired white marks around the knobs. I thought the overall interface aesthetic of the P'08 was an improvement over its predecessors.

DSI is going to sell a ton of these.

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

JamesKPolk posted:

Thats kind of the DSI versus the Roland philosophy - a lot of what people like about Roland synths is that they're 100% sweet spot, i.e. there isn't a way to turn the knobs that makes them sound bad. They did this by limiting what you could route where and ranges of a lot of knobs and stuff (like I think the filter env amount on the Jupiter 8 only goes like half the range of the filter or something? things like that).

Sequential and especially DSI, by contrast, let you do a lot more routing, and turn the knobs to bad values - which is how you get some of those weird Carpenter effects, etc. And much deeper modulation matrices on the DSI stuff than on Roland stuff (it's been a bit of a culture shock to me trying to program my JP-8080 after being so used to the Evolver/Blofeld assign-whatever-wherever paradigm). This is at the expense of immediacy, and you really have to know all the tricks to sqeeuze out amazing sounds... though the pay-off can be awesome and learning why a patch sounds bad can teach you a ton about making them sound good.

I learned synthesis on a x0xb0x and an Evolver which are kind of the extremes of both of those, and I've really come to appreciate just how easy Roland stuff is to use... but I'm not sure I would get why they are so well designed if I hadn't spent so much time struggling with the opposite. Though that could be the stockholm syndrome talking.

I lust over OB-6s, but the Rev2 does nothing for me - listen to a LOT of filter demos before you jump, it's the same one as the original, Evolvers, Mophos + Tetras, and I thinkkkk Oberheim Matrix 1000s (or similar at least). It's got a character and it's not great - kind of brassy, weak, and not great for bass. Clean-sounding, though. And it's kind of become the sound for generic aughts 'synthpop', which may or may not be what you want (whereas I think of Junos and Jupiters as the first wave go-tos) (don't quote me on this).

Fascinating. This explains quite a bit, and you actually hit upon something of the root-cause for me. My first synth hardware is my Korg EMX1. I bought the thing just after they were released, but as a newcomer I really struggled to get sounds which stood out. Everything sound kind of "samey." It wasn't until late last year when I decided to put a ton of effort into learning how to play music (learn music theory, pick up playing piano, etc) that I setup the thing and tinkered with it. A little while after starting to try and really learn this stuff, I picked up the System1 as I love the sound it offers and that it is polyphonic. I found that once I had a synth where it wasn't just 1 knob to set a general oscillator type, and 2 knobs to tweek it, I could actually learn how various settings affected things and I could start to produce sounds that made me grin like a happy retard. Then something interesting happened: I went back to my Korg and started tweaking things, and realized that knob 1 controls changes A, B, and C, with knob 2 controlling aspects X, Y and Z. I could get my Korg to produce good, monophonic, sounds now. But it was only because I had the exposure to the System1 letting me tweak and trim every aspect. This is what actually led me to say, "I need to get a complete synth where I can touch every knob to control every function."

If I'm understanding you correctly, Roland is actually still hiding some of the tuning behind the scenes. If that is the case, then the System8 isn't going to actually solve my requirement. Given this, do you think the DSI Rev2 would solve this requirement?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

It'll at least give you more stuff to break, I'd imagine. My experience was figuring out how to make my Evolver make Roland-type sounds (and where it couldn't, and what extra it could do) was hugely illuminating... but I didn't get the same "aha!" from my Mopho in the few months I had it. Which may be 0 help whatsoever. I also really don't like that filter (could you tell?) which is an obstacle in the Evolver and a dealbreaker in the more traditional ones. Just laying my biases on the table. There's the DeepMind12 too which kind of splits the difference I think?

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
After waffling and going through analysis paralysis over what to replace my inadequate (for my needs) Volca Sample, I'm picking up a used Octatrack tomorrow. Every time I look at something new I kind of forget how far down the rabbit hole I can go with reading posts on forums and overcomplicating things. I don't think I'll have a problem enjoying it if it's as fun to use as my Monomachine, and it means if I ever want a drum synthesizer I can get near any old Machinedrum and not worry about the user waves aspect.

I was hoping for more demos of the Digitakt but it's a non functioning prototype apparently. Even then with more IO and LFOs / effects I'll probably get more use out of the OT. My girlfriend tells me it's worth the money just to stop hearing me talking out loud about it constantly.

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

JamesKPolk posted:

It'll at least give you more stuff to break, I'd imagine. My experience was figuring out how to make my Evolver make Roland-type sounds (and where it couldn't, and what extra it could do) was hugely illuminating... but I didn't get the same "aha!" from my Mopho in the few months I had it. Which may be 0 help whatsoever. I also really don't like that filter (could you tell?) which is an obstacle in the Evolver and a dealbreaker in the more traditional ones. Just laying my biases on the table. There's the DeepMind12 too which kind of splits the difference I think?

I'm basically adverse to the build quality of Behringer so that got pushed off the table. I got to play with the System8 and really liked it, while the Prophet Rev2 or any in that family... well no one has those on demo - just the OB6, so I'd be buying blindly. Maybe I just need to get a modular synth sometime.

Edit: It turns out the System1 has 4 voices, so the System8 is more or less "double" the System1. Roland even states as such in some of their promo content.

FormulaXFD fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 22, 2017

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

FormulaXFD posted:

I'm basically adverse to the build quality of Behringer so that got pushed off the table.
The DeepMind 12 really seems to be different though, check out the latter pages of the Gearslutz thread where people start receiving them. https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/990463-behringer-deepmind-12-a-368.html

quote:

Maybe I just need to get a modular synth sometime.
How much do you hate money :v:

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

Laserjet 4P posted:

The DeepMind 12 really seems to be different though, check out the latter pages of the Gearslutz thread where people start receiving them. https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/990463-behringer-deepmind-12-a-368.html

Well... so the dirty secret is... I'm an electrical engineer and I've been thinking about just homebrewing gear. I'll check out the link you posted.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

a total self-plug here: i took some time off over xmas and hunkered down in the studio with the aim of writing & finishing an EP and it is done: https://genrefluidtapes.bandcamp.com/album/magenta-hyperhue

i'm not v good at describing what it sounds like but it is quite a lot like a warm bath in sound form. or maybe a tropical hot tub. gently caress knows. it's also free; pls enjoy if it's your kind of thing :chillpill:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I like it, Scatter. I like it a lot.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Laserjet 4P posted:

I just got a scooper on sale... so :rip: :10bux:

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

Scatterfold posted:

a total self-plug here: i took some time off over xmas and hunkered down in the studio with the aim of writing & finishing an EP and it is done: https://genrefluidtapes.bandcamp.com/album/magenta-hyperhue

i'm not v good at describing what it sounds like but it is quite a lot like a warm bath in sound form. or maybe a tropical hot tub. gently caress knows. it's also free; pls enjoy if it's your kind of thing :chillpill:

So far, it's like Meditation-Ambient. I like it :D

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

I am really digging "Ordinary Time". Great work overall!

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

FormulaXFD posted:

Well... so the dirty secret is... I'm an electrical engineer and I've been thinking about just homebrewing gear. I'll check out the link you posted.

you say this like things still matter ah ha

srsly you should get a modular, its the most bizarre expensive fun youll ever be able to tell anyone about :wink:

i can draw pictures on the t v with my guitar, and i spend another half a grand, my keyboard will shoot lasers!

and that aint even a figure of speech!!

byob historian fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 23, 2017

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
Finally got off my butt and tried importing samples to the RYTM: took a few tries for my computer to recognize the device, but once I could do it over USB it worked okay. Tried it over MIDI connection and it was unusable; couldn't upload more than one sample at a time without it failing and even that was a 50/50 shot.

Got it all on there eventually (I bought a sound pack from Elektron as a bit of financial incentive to do it) and made some distorted elevator jams with it - it was fun revisiting a cheesy 90's sound with the Korg X3 I've had since high school, even if my keyboard riffing sucks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etF1V5nzDQY

I could see adding some variety and polishing that up into a full track; one of the nice changes from modular was my initial panic of "oh crap I need record all the parts separately so I can work on this later before I unplug it all and lose it!" was replaced by "wait, it's all in pattern B1, I'm good for later". Next goal is learning some of the performance setting stuff and advanced settings to really let the pattern do more.

And awesome job on the EP Scatter; been a goal to make a nice chilled out set of songs like that, and you nailed it.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

thanks all for the v nice comments; pleases me greatly that it's enjoyed.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
Thanks for the suggesting synths with fully controllable vst interfaces earlier. I am going to stay itb but it's nice to know what's out there. I'm working on a little side project where I want to introduce disabled people who otherwise assumed creating music was not possible to vsts and daws, ect.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Spoke Lee posted:

Thanks for the suggesting synths with fully controllable vst interfaces earlier. I am going to stay itb but it's nice to know what's out there. I'm working on a little side project where I want to introduce disabled people who otherwise assumed creating music was not possible to vsts and daws, ect.

On that note, I was just talking to a coworker of mine who is blind, and he said Sonar has the best screenreader integration of any DAW he's tried.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
Well, I took the plunge, starting slow and got the Mackie mixer (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ProFX12v2) and some monitors (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MR5mk3). I figured I'd save my magic beans and buy some stuff over the next couple of months.

Then I found out that I had some money coming to me that was a complete surprise so I kept plunging and bought the 0_Coast and Eventide Space (as well as a MOTU Microlite MIDI interface).

Let the fun sounds commence!

I did want to mention that, since I thought I was months away from anything modular or pluggable, I bought OSCillot for Ableton Live and subscribed to Max 7. As a result, I have learned a TON about modular synthesis and had a great time messing with it. https://www.ableton.com/en/packs/oscillot/ Recommended. It's like a mid-step between a plug in and straight up Max7.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Anyone used a MOTU Midi Time Piece AV (or similar) as a standalone midi router?/What else could I use?

I want to send 2-4 inputs to 6-8 outputs, as cheap as possible, without using a computer, and ideally in one stage. Using an MPC right now but trying to branch out to different sequencers so as to spice up my workflow.

e: ^^^ lemme know how you like the Microlite, that might do what I need too

JamesKPolk fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jan 26, 2017

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Korg, kawai, Yamaha all had midi patch bays or routers and they're cheap these days.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
The main limitations with older routers will be with filtering and merging. I used a dmc mx-8 for a while, which behaved flawlessly, but only supports 1 merge channel of 2 inputs.

If you want crazy flexibility, look at iConnectivity's mio units. You need a computer to set them up, but they're standalone after that.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I picked up a Unitor8 on Craigslist last year. By default it merges inputs 2-8 to output 1, inputs 1 and 3-8 to output 2, and so on. Each output gets all but one input -- not sure if that works for your set up.

It looks like there are some legacy drivers available, too, but that breaks the no-computers request. Maybe There's some useful SysEx commands, but I don't know of any on here.

So Math fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 26, 2017

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
JL Cooper is another routable MIDI to look at. I believe they are programmable from the front panel even.

In theory an Opcode Studio 5/8/64/whatever would do this, but not without an old mac to program it. There are rumors that the Studio 5 can be programmed standalone. I think I have 2 of them that came with a lot of patchbays I got off CL a while back.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I got an LZX Video Cortex today
Managed to get it working before class

Will be practicing after homework!
its crazy as hell!! def an upgrade from maths lol

I am so excited to like, plug instruments into it. i dont even care i aint got a camera , drawing weirdo cartoons with my guitar sounds like a good time to me

byob historian fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

I got an LZX Video Cortex today
Managed to get it working before class

Will be practicing after homework!
its crazy as hell!! def an upgrade from maths lol

I am so excited to like, plug instruments into it. i dont even care i aint got a camera , drawing weirdo cartoons with my guitar sounds like a good time to me

:aaaaa:

That is loving awesome.

How...

How did I not know there were video synth Euro modules?