Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm not doing it for his feelings or for him to remember I was kind. There are values and principles that go towards what a democratic society is.

Anyway, I'm done with this stupid conversation, which reminds me why I wanted to quit D&D before I got modded.

This being a parting shot, I'm expecting a probation, my first in more than a year, any time now. :wave:

boo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I'm gonna give you wedgie you wimp

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This being a parting shot, I'm expecting a probation, my first in more than a year, any time now. :wave:

from who? ghost mod

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
aa i don't think you're coming from a bad place or anything but stomping your feet whenever people disagree with you just makes you look like the lamest motherfucker

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Chelb posted:

aa i don't think you're coming from a bad place or anything but stomping your feet whenever people disagree with you just makes you look like the lamest motherfucker

No kidding.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Firing out a pithey parting shot and calmly walking away when people get a bit angry doesn't seem like a good way to counter far-right ideology imo

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

from who? ghost mod

it's 4:30 am and im dialling Fans as we speak

"hi, rhys, yeah it's a parting shot, get right on it"

*four weeks later probation gets submitted*

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

yeah I mod sassed the rain elemental

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I have connections, I can make that probation come tout de suite.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

hey don't speak mexican at me fuckr

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Tesseraction posted:

hey don't speak mexican at me fuckr

Je suis désolé. :smith:

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Je suis punched nazibois

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT
Seriously though people are going to ride liberal ideals straight into the grave

"Well sure he's putting in work to grow a group that wants us dead or subjugated but if we use any sort of force to stop that aren't we as bad as he is?

I'm sorry it's absolutely antithecal to democracy to move against them until they've grown their numbers and power to a point where they feel ready to strike!"

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

nut up or shut up

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

One big problem with the "Bash the Fash" argument is that right now the Trumpers are going to be looking for reasons to excuse a crackdown -- reichstag fire etc. You can make the counterargument that they'll do that anyway, and hell, James O'Keefe was documented and caught planning to incite violence at the inauguration: but let's not give them what they want.

the thing is you don't have control of like a hundred million people, and a bunch are already going to be violent anyway neatly providinf pretext for those seeing the flimsiest. and even if you did have that control, the enemy would probably make something up anyway.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Bref, voici un article au sujet de Richard Spencer et la discrimination les néonazis ont infligé sur les résidents de Whitefish, où Spencer habite, et ce qu'ils ont fait à ce sujet

https://www.yahoo.com/news/how-the-...l?.tsrc=fauxdal

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

ne pas parler en français, vous enfoirés, parce que je vais le typer jusqu'à je meurs

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Chelb posted:

Bref, voici un article au sujet de Richard Spencer et la discrimination les néonazis ont infligé sur les résidents de Whitefish, où Spencer habite, et ce qu'ils ont fait à ce sujet

https://www.yahoo.com/news/how-the-...l?.tsrc=fauxdal

Je n'a su pas trouvé où ils leurs ont coupé.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
le nain-pain

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

i think the article's interesting because it shows an effective example of local community organization against hate, but as fishmech sorta touched on, can that be effectively controlled and utilized effectively in any large region, let alone the united states? can protests and marches and widespread activism against intolerance be sustained and pointedly directed for long periods of time with the decentralized leadership you see nowadays with protest groups?

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

今天我們都是饅頭的小孩子。

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

les nazis et les collabos ne méritent qu'une morte vite.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Chelb posted:

i think the article's interesting because it shows an effective example of local community organization against hate, but as fishmech sorta touched on, can that be effectively controlled and utilized effectively in any large region, let alone the united states? can protests and marches and widespread activism against intolerance be sustained and pointedly directed for long periods of time with the decentralized leadership you see nowadays with protest groups?

No, which is why I think taking an active role within the institutions of the Democratic Party is fundamental long term. We have this system around us, we just need to seize it. You get legitimacy for national (and state and local) initiatives by winning elections.

stone cold posted:

今天我們都是饅頭的小孩子。

למה מה קרה?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
It's bad to use force that doesn't do anything. If punching Spencer doesn't deter him, it is bad. Not as bad as being a Nazi, but bad. If it deters him, it is good.

We should put thought into finding the optimal level of force to deter Nazis and prevent them from getting what they want. It is just as possible (and possibly just as good) that the answer to "how much force?" is "none" or "lots" and the two answers would be equally good if each of them were true.

Like sure if you give me two options and say they're both equally good I'll take the nonviolent one but if more violence is what's needed I don't see myself losing sleep over using violent means to achieve political aims. WWII comes to mind as precedent here.

So I don't agree with AA entirely, but on some points.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
The media is outright working against you and working hard for their corporate masters to suck up to their new chief nazi

The Iraq war protests back in the bush years were on par with the Vietnam protests but the media refused to cover it fairly.

I think now people have enough of a grasp of alternative media like twitter that they can get around the corporate media. And besides now trending = $$$ = MSM coverage.

That's why CNN replayed Democracy Now!'s footage of police violence at Standing Rock: it was trending

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Pirate Radar posted:

It's bad to use force that doesn't do anything. If punching Spencer doesn't deter him, it is bad. Not as bad as being a Nazi, but bad. If it deters him, it is good.

We should put thought into finding the optimal level of force to deter Nazis and prevent them from getting what they want. It is just as possible (and possibly just as good) that the answer to "how much force?" is "none" or "lots" and the two answers would be equally good if each of them were true.

Like sure if you give me two options and say they're both equally good I'll take the nonviolent one but if more violence is what's needed I don't see myself losing sleep over using violent means to achieve political aims. WWII comes to mind as precedent here.

So I don't agree with AA entirely, but on some points.

I said before that I think violence is necessary sometimes. It needs to be used in a controlled manner, otherwise it gets out of hand, though.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

stone cold posted:

今天我們都是饅頭的小孩子。

現在飢渴了,謝謝

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
They didn't punch any innocent bystanders or gormless supporters.

They punched the Hitler wannabe himself.

Pretty direct and controlled, if you ask me

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

No, which is why I think taking an active role within the institutions of the Democratic Party is fundamental long term. We have this system around us, we just need to seize it. You get legitimacy for national (and state and local) initiatives by winning elections.

למה מה קרה?

雖然我看不懂希伯來語, 但是我希望你學習猛击法西斯真是顶呱呱的。

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

stone cold posted:

雖然我看不懂希伯來語, 但是我希望你學習猛击法西斯真是顶呱呱的。

אני יודע כיצד, אלא שאני בוחר לא לעשות כן.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Pirate Radar posted:

現在飢渴了,謝謝

不客氣,同志。

Murrah
Mar 22, 2015

That punch was literally the best kind of instrumental suppressive violence.

Just as he is about to speak to media, completely interrupts/overrides him speaking his views, has a clear connection to others who might speak up the same views and get the same.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

visceril posted:

The media is outright working against you and working hard for their corporate masters to suck up to their new chief nazi

The Iraq war protests back in the bush years were on par with the Vietnam protests but the media refused to cover it fairly.

I think now people have enough of a grasp of alternative media like twitter that they can get around the corporate media. And besides now trending = $$$ = MSM coverage.

That's why CNN replayed Democracy Now!'s footage of police violence at Standing Rock: it was trending

did you quit

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I said before that I think violence is necessary sometimes. It needs to be used in a controlled manner, otherwise it gets out of hand, though.

So is it your contention that Nazi punching is an epidemic that needs to be slowed down or what

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pirate Radar posted:

well yeah that's why you gotta follow up with a brick to the head

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i am impressed that despite a bunch of people stepping down, there weren't any real flameouts

Murrah
Mar 22, 2015

I gotta hit the sack and sleep but I just want to emphasize that Richard Spencer being punched was cool and good

Debates about the instrumentality of violence I think its clear right - he was about to put out his views of pepe, instead he gets punched. If he was just going to the post office it might be different.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

אני יודע כיצד, אלא שאני בוחר לא לעשות כן.

哎喲,你是全世界最乏味大壞蛋之一。

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I agree with this, and I'm also uncomfortable with celebrating violence for violence's sake. It's really difficult for me to have conversations where people roll their eyes at me like "oh what you're getting all bothered about violence against Nazis now?"--because that's not the impression I ever try to give people. I just want this poo poo to be efficient and not counterproductive.

At the end of the day it's pretty likely though that the debate to be having isn't "should we punch Nazis" but "how much should we punch Nazis, and how often?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

sort of off topic, but whenever it comes to PoC i don't ever want to criticize them for not comporting themselves like MLK or Gandhi or something. There's an argument to be made that non-violent resistance has been (not sure what word to use here) pedestalized, whitewashed, and rendered vague so as to be seen as the only effective form of protest, and i myself should not be the one telling a black person how to properly react to bigotry

• Locked thread