Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5kIe6UZHSXw&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

MMPR trailer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

It's not as gritty as I thought, but it looks kinda generic. I'm sorta hoping they didn't just show off part of the third act fight in the trailer because that makes Goldar the giant mook that they invariably fight.

The puttie equivalents are cool. It also sorta implies Rita has a sort of earth/mineral control thing going.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I like the putties but Goldar looks like absolute poo poo. Fits the mineral/earth control theme sure, but geez what a bad design.

Cranston approved of the script so I'll give it a chance, but we'll see how it goes as far as acting and direction go. That's where it looks like it may fall.

That, and the morphing sequence/roll call. If there are no poses and the suits just form on them, the movie can be somehow Oscar worthy in every other scene and it will have still failed.

EDIT: Just morphing sequence actually, has Power Rangers ever done a Roll Call really well? At least they tried with "MEGAFORCE (COLOR), READY!" but that's still pretty weak compared to Sentai calls.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Just morphing sequence actually, has Power Rangers ever done a Roll Call really well? At least they tried with "MEGAFORCE (COLOR), READY!" but that's still pretty weak compared to Sentai calls.

Dino Charge?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
"'Power Rangers'? That's so stupid."

:rolleyes:

Like, yes, we know it's based on a childish property, but constantly trying to distance yourself from it is childish in a different way.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

Dino Charge?

I'll look it up, thanks! I only saw the first episode so I'm not sure how they did their roll calls.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Dino Charge is really good.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The trailer upped my expectations quite a bit. Granted, it's from "dour dumpster fire" to "generic but enjoyable popcorn movie" but it's a step up.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

As long as it isn't a garbage fire, there's chances of a sequel that will be better.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

PMush Perfect posted:

Dino Charge is really good.

Just watched a roll call and I'll agree, that was as close to a Sentai roll call as I've ever seen in a Power Rangers show and really well done. May have to give that one a watch!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Just finished Episode 20. Please tell me Misao stops being like this soon. He's got a decent costume and really cool mecha (my favorite cube animals so far by a pretty significant margin), but Jesus Christ, I'm exhausted after one episode of this motherfucker. I'm hopeful, since the show seems to be mocking that kind of character pretty brutally, but it wouldn't be the first time a toku show fell into accidental self-parody.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the fact that the first action shot we get of the rangers in costume is fighting putties in a rock quarry with a skewed camera angle means someone loving knows what they're doing here

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Misao is actually a pretty fun character. He starts out initially as a timid coward, but the show goes nuts with making that type of character actually REALLY fun, and he also grows over the course of the show, as well!

He is Mondo Cool.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Yeah, his big moment in a recent episode was fantastic and led to my favorite non-Kyoryuger non-helmetless roll call in recent memory. Those are a lot of qualifiers, I know, but it truly was great.

Also they refine the downer gag and it becomes less frequent and executed much better as the show goes on, it became a consistent source of laughs later on.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

People judging the power rangers movie like an actual movie is baffling. If it's not semi serious and corny with big dumb action and fights I don't want it.

All the story needs to be is "Rita is bad M'Kay? Here's some powers go ham".

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

RBX posted:

People judging the power rangers movie like an actual movie is baffling.

They're probably doing that because it's an actual movie. I get what you're trying to say but from what I've read from folks here the major concern has always been the movie seemingly embarrassed by the franchise it's doing a movie about, with a dash of "holy poo poo these designs are kinda iffy". You won't get the Power Rangers experience if that concern has foundation.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I get what you're trying to say but you could take those words out of context, switch out some names, and say the same thing about the Michael Bay Transformers movies.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Fans had been doing "serious" Power Ranger fan-films of varying quality and budget for at least five years. The concept of "serious business MMPR" is always going to have a ceiling of boring inoffensive action movie, partially because stuff like Pacific Rim and a million superhero movies beat them to it but also because the silly stuff and bad acting are kind of the hallmarks of the original production.

Then, after several fan films, an official one is made, and people wonder why it's so grim and want to see the team make jazz-hands poses.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Out of the most recent series, you can describe the good ones as basically this;

Dance Troop Dinosaurs
Fake James Bond fights THE INTERNET
Space Pirates on the hunt for cheap plastic toys
I KNOW IN MY HEART KINGDOM HEARTS IS LIGHT + trains
gently caress it, Furries and a Bored Genocidal Alien.

I don't want serious. Give me dumb and silly. The first trailer felt like a bad combination of The Breakfast Club, Chronicle, and Spiderman 1 (The Tobey ones). Chronicle was a good movie, and I liked Spiderman 1, but they were kind of serious movies. I don't want that. Do poses, cause explosions, etc. That's what I want.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I've always liked Rangers, and Sentai, in the more serious vein- but even there, it has to be this kind of grandiose old school comic book serious.

There has to be some kind of edge to balance out the inherent silliness of the whole thing. With Sentai, Bioman shows a good example of this.

Bioman has a shockingly straight forward and not ENTIRELY ridiculous set up. The Biomen have nothing too ridiculous about their set up, beyond the fact that their powers come from a giant space robot irradiating their ancestors so they could use their powers.

And the villains are absolutely one of the most straight forward and serious threats in Sentai history. They aren't aliens, they aren't outlandish and silly, and their plans are pretty straight forward. It's one bitter, angry man who despises the world and has turned himself into a cyborg and created an entire empire of robots, with one singular goal- murder every living person on Earth and replace them with machines. It's effectively Skynet if Skynet was an organization and a toku villain. The plans he comes up with are never all that outlandish, especially with how we are introduced to his forces- the MechaClones gunning innocent civilians down while he bombs and destroys cities.

That's pretty nasty for a kids villain. But it works because he calls himself DOCTOR MAN and his robot soldiers are colorful and outlandish in personality, with two of them purposely being comical and mildly bumbling. There has to be a balance to the silliness and the seriousness and when Sentai, and Toku in general, strikes that balance it works really goddamn well.

If it swings too far to one side, it has to be really drat good at what its doing to justify it.

This movie I fear won't get the balance right, because it's trying too hard to be a super hero movie, instead of a toku hero movie. But we'll see what happens.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Burkion posted:

The Biomen have nothing too ridiculous about their set up, beyond the fact that their powers come from a giant space robot irradiating their ancestors so they could use their powers.
I think it says something about how much toku I've watched that I only blinked a little bit at that.

Double is kind of in the same vein, it's got silly characters and bright, colorful forms... and is about the illegal drug trade and the way it ruins people's lives and turns them into barely-recognizable monsters. There is literally an arc about the dangers of sharing needles Gaia Memories.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

PMush Perfect posted:

I think it says something about how much toku I've watched that I only blinked a little bit at that.

Double is kind of in the same vein, it's got silly characters and bright, colorful forms... and is about the illegal drug trade and the way it ruins people's lives and turns them into barely-recognizable monsters. There is literally an arc about the dangers of sharing needles Gaia Memories.

There's also like, broken family drama among the villains, who are an aristocratic family of crimebosses who, following a hosed-up accident, wound up sacrificing their humanity, and especially the humanity of their various children, in a bid to become gods or whatever. It's real good, and they have some good poo poo in there about being torn between knowing you're doing a Bad Thing and feeling that you have to be loyal to your parents.

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot
greetings, i'm New Forums Poster gently caress WHITEY, and Not Dickeye, who is banned because of some bullshit

so if you want the list in the OP updated start a new thread because i can't edit it, eat a fat one

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
We could make a new thread when the next Sentai starts I guess?

I'm fine with this one right now.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

What did this totally unrelated person do?

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

PMush Perfect posted:

What did this totally unrelated person do?

pointed out that demodding people for not agreeing with lowtax while tut-tutting about how people need to learn that not everyone has to agree with him is just straight up silencing criticism and hypocritical

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ah, "mod sass".

Lowtax is absolutely not a thin skinned manchild who throws a shitfit every time he receives criticism.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
He seemed like a decent sort when I drank all his booze at his office closing party.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

jivjov posted:

He seemed like a decent sort when I drank all his booze at his office closing party.

He's been having a series of really unsightly twitter meltdowns, and gets angry about nonconforming genders. YMMV

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Can we not do this in the Powerful Rangers thread of all places

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Can we not do this in the Powerful Rangers thread of all places

yeah basically i just wanted to point out that the Big List isnt getting updated any time soon if ever

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Two episodes later, and my feelings for Misao are much more :allears:

What a loving dork

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Burkion posted:

Bioman

Bioman

Biomen

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

gently caress Whitey posted:

yeah basically i just wanted to point out that the Big List isnt getting updated any time soon if ever

I mean, considering it still listed Ninninger as the current Sentai when Zyuohger is only a few weeks away from ending, I'm pretty sure the regulars all figured out the list was long since out of date some time ago...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Maybe the next OP can actually put my Karate Punchmans Opinions Post in the OP. :colbert:

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

OZC posted:

I mean, considering it still listed Ninninger as the current Sentai when Zyuohger is only a few weeks away from ending, I'm pretty sure the regulars all figured out the list was long since out of date some time ago...

Honestly I was more concerned with keeping track of who was doing the older stuff and what had DVDs

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afOCdTpcPMc

Ex-Aid sure is getting a lot of spinoffs. This one...confuses me, why is Nitou suddenly evil?

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Hiro cut his mayo.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
It's probably not actually him, just the suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Blaze Dragon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afOCdTpcPMc

Ex-Aid sure is getting a lot of spinoffs. This one...confuses me, why is Nitou suddenly evil?

A mysterious evil force took over all the beastly suits etc. Looks pretty cool!

• Locked thread