Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
On that note, it seems odd that 'slot corner' remains a slightly sneered at position, given how much teams will now move stud receivers inside to shaken them loose and how often teams run 3wr sets. It's something of a separate discipline from boundary corner too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Kalli posted:

How does Peppers compare to Tyrann Matthieu as far as skillset goes? He's the last super talented guy I remember who had that label of being a weird talent with no natural position.

I'm pretty certain his natural position is free safety but versatile players are never bad. Positions get really complex the deeper you go into x's and o's and NFL playbooks. Like a few years back the predator position got really popular which is just another name for a player without an assignment who is built like a linebacker. What I'm trying to say is it's better to look at what a prospect can or can't do and how that will fit your team because I'm pretty sure that's how teams draft in the NFL.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

His natural position is being overrated based on the fact that he played offense, defense, and special teams, none of them exceptionally.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I assume Peppers is gonna be better than Taylor Mays, another one of the those LB/S tweeners

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Ehud posted:

Peppers doesn't really know how to play football IMO

This. the whole heisman media campaign for him was the biggest load of garbage i've ever seen

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

The Glumslinger posted:

I assume Peppers is gonna be better than Taylor Mays, another one of the those LB/S tweeners

real hard to trip over a bar buried 3 feet underground

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Roasted Donut posted:

real hard to trip over a bar buried 3 feet underground

As bad as Mays was at covering anything despite being freakishly athletic, he at least demonstrated that he could effectively give hits that would get him ejected these days which is a level of tackling Peppers never dreamed of this past year. For him to work in the pros, there's going to need to be some serious technical revisions in his closing on both the ball and the ballcarrier

extendedsolo
Oct 14, 2005

Yes, this is going to hurt.

Diva Cupcake posted:

It's pretty sick how well most of them turned out. FWIW here's Mayock's pre-draft positional ranking.

Wide receiver
1. Sammy Watkins, Clemson
2. Mike Evans, Texas A&M
3. Marqise Lee, USC
4. Brandin Cooks, Oregon State
t5. Kelvin Benjamin, Florida State
t5. Jarvis Landry, LSU
t5. Odell Beckham, LSU

e: Of course...

Quarterback
1. Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M

Remember the hype on Manziel coming out of college? I've never seen so much hype for a noodle armed midget in my life.

Also I think that Landry would be the 2nd best receiver drafted that year if not for having no QB to throw to him.

extendedsolo
Oct 14, 2005

korrandark posted:

29) Green Bay Packers

*Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford

McCaffrey fits what the Packers want on offense. He's versatile like college quarterback-turned-receiver Randall Cobb and Ty Montgomery, who switched to running back in 2016. McCaffrey can return kicks, catch the ball out of the backfield -- he's dynamic with the ball in his hands. The Packers have a few needs on defense, but running back Eddie Lacy is a free agent, and they don't have an internal replacement.

Oh god if this happens I think we know what will replace everyone's AJ Hawk, Donald Driver, Randall Cobb, and John Kuhn jerseys. Ripkowski will have missed the boat.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Kalli posted:

Cool, thanks. I was just trying to come up with the last tweener I remember being talked up as a 1st round talent who I thought might compare.

The only player I can think of who was drafted high and touted as a top defensive prospect despite being a Tweener was Thomas Davis. He was talked about coming out as "the defensive Braylon Edwards" everyone was jizzing in their pants over Braylon Edwards at that point. There have been a few since who were small linebacker sized safeties who got to free wheel and blitz a lot and gently caress up small lovely schools, but not many of them went on to do much of anything of note.

When he got drafted by Carolina they put him at Strong safety and he got lit the gently caress up in coverage. It wasn't until a year or two later where he gained enough size and learned how to play linebacker that he really put it all together. Drafting another small linebacker who played safety (badly) in College would be the stupidest thing the Panthers could do at this point. The front seven outside of defensive end is fine and the back seven outside of safety is fine. They're holes the team can fill through drafting players at those positions, not trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole. We already have hitters who can't stop a deep shot or run with a WR.

The team needs a deep playing coverage safety, someone who can rush the passer and a tackle. A running back might be nice if the team had some tackles. They've got to realise that Oher is basically done at this point and Remmers is at best a stop gap who needs protection rolled to his side.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

FizFashizzle posted:

I will burn this fucker down if the panthers draft fournette

I don't want you guys getting him either. :colbert:

Be careful though, I remember you saying roughly the same thing about Pickles, and.....

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Silly Burrito posted:

I don't want you guys getting him either. :colbert:

Be careful though, I remember you saying roughly the same thing about Pickles, and.....

If we had a decent set of tackles I'd be keen as gently caress for Fournette.

Just lol if the GM and co look at the roster and go "yep, we definitely need a running back"

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Isn't Jonathan Stewart still pretty good? I know he's getting old and always hurt, but when I look at this Panthers roster RB feels like the 5th or 6th biggest need.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
It makes more sense for Baltimore to take Jabrill Peppers now that Orr is retired but it's still a terrible idea. No way our coaching staff has the talent to employ him creatively enough to make him anything other than a thumping safety over the middle.

We do need a returner though.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
I haven't watched Ryan Ramczyk play at all but damned if that isn't a football-rear end football name.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Braylon Edwards owned except he never learned how to catch the ball.

extendedsolo
Oct 14, 2005

Benne posted:

Isn't Jonathan Stewart still pretty good? I know he's getting old and always hurt, but when I look at this Panthers roster RB feels like the 5th or 6th biggest need.

the cap hit coming and age would be reason enough to get rid of him. He would probably go on and be very productive on another team.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

fsif posted:

I'd much, much, MUCH prefer the Bills hold onto Tyrod and draft Malik Hooker, but if they draft Deshaun Watson, I'll probably make fewer idle threats to not watch the team anymore.

clemson first rounders have been doing really well for the bills according to history.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm watching the Shrine Game for some reason, and boy howdy this is some bad football. There's maybe a handful of draftable guys out of both rosters.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Benne posted:

I'm watching the Shrine Game for some reason, and boy howdy this is some bad football. There's maybe a handful of draftable guys out of both rosters.

Josh Augusta doing anything? I'd imagine he'll be the biggest guy on either team, but he never quite played up to his size.

e: He's a DT if you're still watching

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Huh, the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl is today too, I forgot all about that thing. How many of these do we need?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Benne posted:

future NFL superstar Austin Carr

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

BlindSite posted:

Drafting another small linebacker who played safety (badly) in College would be the stupidest thing the Panthers could do at this point.

:laffo: The Panthers drafted a LB/S in last years draft. Look up Jeremy Cash.

In tiny hands watch:

https://twitter.com/LedyardNFLDraft/status/823905554787696640

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Wiccan Wasteland posted:

:laffo: The Panthers drafted a LB/S in last years draft. Look up Jeremy Cash.

In tiny hands watch:

https://twitter.com/LedyardNFLDraft/status/823905554787696640

Cash was a UDFA

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Benne posted:

If we can't get a decent OT in the first round then I'll settle for a decent CB

With how many teams needing an OT, and a weak OT class, I doubt there would be any left that would immediately improve our line available at #26. There's probably some projects at that point, but we'd basically be in the same spot as we were this year with starting George Fant. It sucks considering how bad our line is, but there's not much we can do about it.

CB / S on the other hand, is much deeper. And there's a lot of good dudes projected to be available there at 26.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

zimbomonkey posted:

Cash was a UDFA

He's also a college safety* that the Panthers moved to linebacker.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

He also kicked rear end in special teams.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Can't wait for 1st round prospect Taco Charlton to enter the pantheon of exceptional NFL names.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Yeah cash was always a solid tackler, as I recall his issue was coverage and speed. Duke usually kept him near the LoS

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Cash was a UDFA? I had him ranked as my third best safety last year:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3755666&userid=89848&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post457523065

Also my offensive rankings:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3755666&userid=89848&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post457466696

I'm disappointed I didn't put Coleman and Shepard as 1/2.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Some NFL guy has DeShaun Watson falling to number 25, to be picked by the Texans. This would be amazing.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Filthy Casual posted:

Can't wait for 1st round prospect Taco Charlton to enter the pantheon of exceptional NFL names.

Taco Wallace beat him to it

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Just wait until Corn Elder rises up on the boards after the combine.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Wont' happen but please god let it

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Good lord if Mike Williams actually fell to the Eagles at 15 the crowd there would probably collectively orgasm.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
This is like the 3rd mock draft I've seen the Browns taking a RB at #12. Crow and Duke were a decent 1-2 punch. Why use that high a pick on a RB?

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Benne posted:

Hard to say. He was good last year, and injured a bit this year. When he came back he was playing behind a line that at some points had zero week 1 starters in their natural position. Our offense is also really complex and involves a lot of motion and read options from Cam. When it isn't working, the RB (Stewart) is the one who suffers most. Last year it really clicked and everyone thought our OC was a genius. This year it didn't, whether it be injuries, teams having a lot more tape on us, Cam regressing, etc.

In a normal offense with a healthy line, Stewart might have another few years in him. He will miss 2-3 games a year though.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Flikken posted:

This is like the 3rd mock draft I've seen the Browns taking a RB at #12. Crow and Duke were a decent 1-2 punch. Why use that high a pick on a RB?

they're simulating what the Browns will do, not what they should do

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Slowpoke! posted:

Hard to say. He was good last year, and injured a bit this year. When he came back he was playing behind a line that at some points had zero week 1 starters in their natural position. Our offense is also really complex and involves a lot of motion and read options from Cam. When it isn't working, the RB (Stewart) is the one who suffers most. Last year it really clicked and everyone thought our OC was a genius. This year it didn't, whether it be injuries, teams having a lot more tape on us, Cam regressing, etc.

In a normal offense with a healthy line, Stewart might have another few years in him. He will miss 2-3 games a year though.

He only got like 150 yards less this year than he did last year. But I think drafting an RB could be great for the panthers. Fournette would be a great pickup.

I know we have bigger needs, but I dont think any of the players available will be worth a #8 pick.

Then again Gettleman loves his "hog-mollies" so we will probably take a FB with the #8 pick lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Slowpoke! posted:

i did not in fact think he was a genius.

• Locked thread