Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Chelb posted:

sort of off topic, but whenever it comes to PoC i don't ever want to criticize them for not comporting themselves like MLK or Gandhi or something. There's an argument to be made that non-violent resistance has been (not sure what word to use here) pedestalized, whitewashed, and rendered vague so as to be seen as the only effective form of protest, and i myself should not be the one telling a black person how to properly react to bigotry

:agreed: , and even when people do do nonviolent protests like kap, white America loses their goddamn minds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

stone cold posted:

哎喲,你是全世界最乏味大壞蛋之一。

מגלגל עיניים.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

מגלגל עיניים.

lol you tedious babyman

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Chelb posted:

sort of off topic, but whenever it comes to PoC i don't ever want to criticize them for not comporting themselves like MLK or Gandhi or something. There's an argument to be made that non-violent resistance has been (not sure what word to use here) pedestalized, whitewashed, and rendered vague so as to be seen as the only effective form of protest, and i myself should not be the one telling a black person how to properly react to bigotry

I tend to think that a diverse strategy is gonna get the best results, but yeah I'm also not gonna be the one telling disadvantaged people how they should protest, I try to understand why people do whatever they do

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

stone cold posted:

lol you tedious babyman

I'm not putting a gun to your head forcing you to respond to me, you know. I'm not a mod anymore, so you can put me on your ignore list, and never have to worry about my stupid cowardly liberal bullshit ever again.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I'd like the world to operate cleanly on pacifism, but there's sort of a point where, even before the inauguration, you saw right wingers starting to push regulation to legalize the murder of protesters, where you start to realize what a tenuous position political pacifism is. By the time you have a just reason to defend yourself, you're already behind in terms of organization and tolerance of use of force to actually resist in any fashion.

stone cold posted:

:agreed: , and even when people do do nonviolent protests like kap, white America loses their goddamn minds

this too. don't worry about giving the fascist types a "just" reason to come after you, you've already given them enough by virtue of existing.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Did the anarchist get away after the punch? It seems like one of the fool reporters legitimating the nazi by filming him tried to grab the heroic puncher. I hope he got away and will get to punch another day.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Jack Gladney posted:

Did the anarchist get away after the punch? It seems like one of the fool reporters legitimating the nazi by filming him tried to grab the heroic puncher. I hope he got away and will get to punch another day.

In the end there should be a little Punch Man in all of our hearts.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
There's a whole spectrum between pacifism and gloating about a dude being punched in the face, though.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
https://twitter.com/gokunaruto67/status/822675185211817984

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

There's a whole spectrum between pacifism and gloating about a dude being punched in the face, though.

:allears:

now why would I want to ignore this

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

stone cold posted:

:allears:

now why would I want to ignore this

I have no idea what your entertainment consumption profile is, so beats me! :v:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, I don't know how wide it really is but it's there.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I'm not a thread regular is this guy for real? I think he's silly.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Murrah posted:

That punch was literally the best kind of instrumental suppressive violence.

Just as he is about to speak to media, completely interrupts/overrides him speaking his views, has a clear connection to others who might speak up the same views and get the same.

Chelb posted:

stone cold posted:

I dont think these can be said enough. Also, a big point for me is he's not like disagreeing about a local tax policy or something, he's an open white supremacist who was actively working to spread his views.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Regarde Aduck posted:

I'm not a thread regular is this guy for real? I think he's silly.

We are all for real.

Except Avs, who is beyond the real.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I worry that what's happening here is that when I say "I don't think we should celebrate violence" it comes off as saying I think I'm too good for it, or that I'm better in some way than people who are happy that the Nazi man got punched (nevermind that I am also happy that the Nazi man got punched because I think it's probably useful)--I dislike celebrating violence because I don't think I'm better than anyone, including Richard Spencer.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Pirate Radar posted:

I worry that what's happening here is that when I say "I don't think we should celebrate violence" it comes off as saying I think I'm too good for it, or that I'm better in some way than people who are happy that the Nazi man got punched (nevermind that I am also happy that the Nazi man got punched because I think it's probably useful)--I dislike celebrating violence because I don't think I'm better than anyone, including Richard Spencer.

i think you are better than richard spencer

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Tiler Kiwi posted:

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

https://twitter.com/cafedotcom/status/822594854609965057

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I know, I just disagree, and I think it's fine that we disagree about it. It's just a central part of my worldview. Not specifically lil' dickie spencer, mind you, just not being better (or worse) than anyone else.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why does he make so many preposterous faces? "President Trump" with that goddamn idiot expression. He's like a five-year-old. He's a cartoon. How can he be destroying everything so efficiently?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Pirate Radar posted:

I think this is a good perspective. :)

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
there's definitely value in refusing to give white supremacist views a platform, and i think that value extends everywhere from punching a dude to, say, refusing to let a holocaust denier speak at a college. anything that interrupts the public expression of bigotry has an inherent power to it, and it's smart to recognize that even if one disagrees with the violent forms of silencing hatred

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Jack Gladney posted:

Why does he make so many preposterous faces? "President Trump" with that goddamn idiot expression. He's like a five-year-old. He's a cartoon. How can he be destroying everything so efficiently?

I've spent loving ages thinking about this. His whole persona and affect must be received so much differently by his voters, even his reluctant voters and never mind the diehards.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Pirate Radar posted:

I've spent loving ages thinking about this. His whole persona and affect must be received so much differently by his voters, even his reluctant voters and never mind the diehards.

I've never seen a photo of him where he wasn't mugging in some outrageously exaggerated way. Even his smile looks like a frame from Chuck Jones' cartoon adaptation of The Grinch Who Stole Christmas. How do you think his voters receive that kind of thing?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
please consult ben garrison cartoons for to overcome your liberal distortion of the brave warrior trump

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Tiler Kiwi posted:

please consult ben garrison cartoons for to overcome your liberal distortion of the brave warrior trump

but that would require looking at a ben garrison cartoon, like, with human eyes

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Jack Gladney posted:

I think his cartoonishness almost deflects from his rotten core. You're too busy guffawing over "STUPID THING TRUMP DID #∞" to effectively oppose his policies.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

if one agrees with MLK that violence is the language of the unheard, then i think it follows that the catharsis felt by richard spencer getting punched the gently caress out represents the emotions of the unheard

Jack Gladney posted:

I've never seen a photo of him where he wasn't mugging in some outrageously exaggerated way. Even his smile looks like a frame from Chuck Jones' cartoon adaptation of The Grinch Who Stole Christmas. How do you think his voters receive that kind of thing?

I think they care much less about Trump the corporeal human being and more about what Trump represents. In an age where political opinions and propaganda can be shared without any sort of face to face interaction at all, physical and verbal charisma becomes only as important as you want it to be.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/prttybadtweeter/status/822620848897069056

:patriot: :patriot:

Yeah I know the mixed metaphors/true meaning of the song who cares this rules

Seriously though at the end of the day the individual Richard Spencer is a total irredeemable rear end in a top hat and absolutely had that sweet skull punch coming

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Jack Gladney posted:

I've tried this out and I think there are two main groups.

On the one side you have people who are glad that he's so smug, glad that he's blustery and talks over people and just says whatever he wants to be true. They get excited seeing him be a jerk to people because they think it's funny and they'd do the same, or try to do the same, in his position. These are the people who heard the "grab 'em by the pussy" tape and laughed, imagining themselves grabbing pussies. I think these people are mostly male, but there will be some women in there who just like to see Trump be Trump.

On the other side you must have people who are not diehard Trumpers but have maneuvered themselves into supporting him because of their opposition to Democrats, liberals in general (in the American sense), social justice warriors telling them what to do aaaaargh, and Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi Hillary Lied. They would probably have preferred Mike Pence as the headliner nominee but they'll hold their nose and vote for Trump because it lets the Republicans keep sticking it to those people. As the election went on I actually suspect that some of this group moved into the first group because of inertia and not wanting to admit they were going to vote for a candidate they thought was a gross, classless orange gremlin. These are people who heard the "grab 'em by the pussy" tape and shut their ears, or locked it away behind doublethink, or shouted even louder about Ben Ghazi and the Private Server, or, for some of them, hoped that he would drop out.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

I think his cartoonishness almost deflects from his rotten core. You're too busy guffawing over "STUPID THING TRUMP DID #∞" to effectively oppose his policies.

wow what a loving horrible av+redtext to give somebody

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Pirate Radar posted:

hmm, yeah i think you're a loving moron

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Chelb posted:

wow what a loving horrible av+redtext to give somebody

:shrug: no worse than the ridic uncle tom one

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
or maybe you need meds, one of the two

either way you should know you're better then the racist dude, and if you don't its either being stupid or something medical

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Pirate Radar posted:

I've tried this out and I think there are two main groups.

On the one side you have people who are glad that he's so smug, glad that he's blustery and talks over people and just says whatever he wants to be true. They get excited seeing him be a jerk to people because they think it's funny and they'd do the same, or try to do the same, in his position. These are the people who heard the "grab 'em by the pussy" tape and laughed, imagining themselves grabbing pussies. I think these people are mostly male, but there will be some women in there who just like to see Trump be Trump.

On the other side you must have people who are not diehard Trumpers but have maneuvered themselves into supporting him because of their opposition to Democrats, liberals in general (in the American sense), social justice warriors telling them what to do aaaaargh, and Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi Hillary Lied. They would probably have preferred Mike Pence as the headliner nominee but they'll hold their nose and vote for Trump because it lets the Republicans keep sticking it to those people. As the election went on I actually suspect that some of this group moved into the first group because of inertia and not wanting to admit they were going to vote for a candidate they thought was a gross, classless orange gremlin. These are people who heard the "grab 'em by the pussy" tape and shut their ears, or locked it away behind doublethink, or shouted even louder about Ben Ghazi and the Private Server, or, for some of them, hoped that he would drop out.

this is correct

It's a whole shitload of spite

Trump is a living breathing middle finger pointed toward whatever it is these people hate, updated daily

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Chelb posted:

if one agrees with MLK that violence is the language of the unheard, then i think it follows that the catharsis felt by richard spencer getting punched the gently caress out represents the emotions of the unheard

Agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Pirate Radar posted:

I dislike celebrating violence because I don't think I'm better than anyone, including Richard Spencer.

If you don't think you're better than a Nazi who advocates for genocide, then either you're a real garbage human being (not likely, very few people are, but I don't really know you so :shrug: ) or you've got way too low of an opinion of yourself (much more likely).

• Locked thread