Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

tavern.txt

quote:

So, using the word "Jihad" (in a non-discriminating manner I might add) is wrong, but substituting it with another word from a real religion that has also negative implications is okay?

Clap. clap. clap.

code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAryFIuRxmQ
Oh and I better hope you are at least consequential and remove any number of features that could be considered offensive, like TSO, Ely, Zin, Necromancy, demons, holy monsters, women, you could go on endlessly.

quote:

"Jihad" is a politically loaded word these days and Crawl doesn't have
any intention of commenting on the real world.

Yeah, using the word "Jihad" is wrong, but having a whole religion that is unmistakingly, even with water walking just to make it clear, a twisted and perverted version of christianity and the worshippers of that caricature of christianity are war-mongering, violent racists that see their race as superior than others. Yeah, no problems with that at all. So much for not commenting on the real world.

Oh, and since you brought up politics, great job of playing right into the hands of extremist groups by undermining our own freedom of expression. That is exactly what extremist groups want.

An no, this is in no way, shape, or form implying that OP of the original thread (which was locked, which I also find questionable) has any part in this.

Yeah what can I say, I am not thrilled about this change.

quote:

I suppose you should expect this from a dev team that changed the genders of long standing uniques just to meet the equality quota and added a mysterious third gender for Hep ancestors.

I like the direction the game is heading otherwise, but this is silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

brainwrinkle posted:

Conjure Ball Lightning is so fun!! Let's hope I can get firestorm online before Conjure Ball Lightning kills me though.

It's one of my favorite spells. I wish it could still hurt things off-screen (to hell with balance).

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

At least these dumb flavour changes don't alter game balance. I don't really care how many of the monsters I kill have the female tag, at least they didn't actually get changed.

Undo the sInv change to entropy weavers, undo the flavour damage.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I'm rolling along with a GrEE^Chei and have Snake in my game. My only offensive spells right now are LRD, Fireball, Iron shot, and IMB. I'm worried I don't have enough CC options should I get overwhelmed with guys on screen. Would Meph Cloud or Toxic Radiance help with CC options here? Or are my current options + slouch enough to get by? What else should I be looking for to survive Snake?

Edit: Or Bolt of Magma or Venom Bolt? I don't have a bolt spell right now but can learn either if need be.

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 19, 2017

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
My favorite is the random tavern poster "mansplaining" Islam to the guy who (presumably) grew up as a Muslim when the topic was initially brought up

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm rolling along with a GrEE^Chei and have Snake in my game. My only offensive spells right now are LRD, Fireball, Iron shot, and IMB. I'm worried I don't have enough CC options should I get overwhelmed with guys on screen. Would Meph Cloud or Toxic Radiance help with CC options here? Or are my current options + slouch enough to get by? What else should I be looking for to survive Snake?

Edit: Or Bolt of Magma or Venom Bolt? I don't have a bolt spell right now but can learn either if need be.

Crowd Control typically means ways of slowing down enemies so only one or two are dealing damage at a time. That's typically hexes and blocking lines of sight/path in the case of Crawl. Toxic Radiance does not do any of that. Nor does the bolt spells. Meph Cloud does but you're going into Snake that sort of prevents that use against half of the enemies there.

I think what you're asking is if you have enough Area of Effect options available to kill off lots of enemies in a short time period in case of swarms. In this case yes, LRD, Fireball and Slouch are enough to get by.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Fhqwhgads posted:

If you're concerned about that, then Don't Do Snake. You WILL be blink-encircled. I reluctantly recommend Magma Bolt, but it won't be a big help in Snake because of that encirclement. And if you are NOT encircled or in a corridor, it's range issues are exacerbated by the lack of Vehumet.

More constructively, bring a wand of digging if you must do snake. Bolt of Magma now becomes more effective and you can only be encircled on one or two sides. Petrify or a wand of paralysis may be handy for anacondas and the like, depending on your skill investment. Keep Passwall in mind - it functions at normal speed, making it quicker than walking by far, and convenient for retreats if you know when to use it. Three key pieces of gear for a chei mage are a staff of power, a ring of magical power and another ring of magical power. I exaggerate, but even one is a big help in reserving MP for Temporal Distortion and Step from Time without crippling your ability to cast your killing spells. TD will conveniently break constriction, clear a staircase, etc, but not much more in Snake.

Seriously consider (both the pros and cons) of doing the Elven Halls in pursuit of books and loot. While you could have Shatter, Lee's Rapid Disintegration is still pretty drat effective thanks to Deep Elves being glass cannons. Something like the Deep Elf Blademaster (~100 HP) and Master Archer might be the scariest enemies, but in general you'll be seeing high class elves with around 60 HP. Before any demons or elementals come into play, you'll be running into elves that have 12-25 EV and 1-2 AC at most, making LRD pretty drat handy depending on the layout (map scroll for convenience sake).

Regarding Slouch: It's great, but Snake is a weird mix of fast, slow, and Hasted enemies, many of which actually have decent HP - though the guardian serpent isn't one of them. The guardian serpent comes with at most 57 health, blink encircle, and 15 speed, so if there are any chances of getting mobbed it may certainly be worth slouching before it even gets in range of Iron Shot.

I often pick up Orb of Destruction to complement the range/accuracy issues of earth magic, but fire magic should serve that purpose well enough. And right now, range won't be a big concern anyways.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Yeah, by CC in this case I meant more AoE type spells rather than just single target damage. I did poke my head into Snake and was almost immediately surrounded thanks to that blink/recall. Barely survived there. I probably don't 'need' a bolt spell at the moment, but I just feel underpowered compared to where I usually am if I get a GrEE to this point.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
I love how genderless pronouns becomes a "mysterious third gender" to mister Beogh offends my christian sensibilities pearl-clutcher over there.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
To encourage more drawing I thought I would do a sketch of every monster that kills me, but then I realized I'd be drawing a lot of adders and jackals.

Here are some spooky ghosts instead.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Devlan Mud posted:

I love how genderless pronouns becomes a "mysterious third gender" to mister Beogh offends my christian sensibilities pearl-clutcher over there.
This is a game with triple swords, racist orcs that somehow coexist with demon-summoning elves, orbs of pure fire that can somehow instantly mutate creatures into a new form, demons ranging from "spams demon penguins at you" to "instantly torments half your health away then explodes hellfire damnation upon you", tropical islands that are somehow underneath several floors of jungle which is somehow underneath several floors of a dungeon, sentient cats that can cast spells and wear jewellery(but not hats for some reason), and sacks full of spiders that materialize only on opening.

But referring to ancestor ghosts as "they" is what's strange and wrong here.

borf
Apr 5, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

To encourage more drawing I thought I would do a sketch of every monster that kills me, but then I realized I'd be drawing a lot of adders and jackals.

This is lovely!
I wish I had even a couple levels of drawing ability, crawl seems like endless inspiration for subject matter.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Haifisch posted:

This is a game with triple swords, racist orcs that somehow coexist with demon-summoning elves, orbs of pure fire that can somehow instantly mutate creatures into a new form, demons ranging from "spams demon penguins at you" to "instantly torments half your health away then explodes hellfire damnation upon you", tropical islands that are somehow underneath several floors of jungle which is somehow underneath several floors of a dungeon, sentient cats that can cast spells and wear jewellery(but not hats for some reason), and sacks full of spiders that materialize only on opening.

But referring to ancestor ghosts as "they" is what's strange and wrong here.

Wait, hold on.

What's the penguin?

Hot Dog Day #42
Jun 17, 2001

Egbert B. Gebstadter

Prism posted:

Wait, hold on.

What's the penguin?

Ufetubi, presumably.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Internet Kraken posted:

I love all the art ya have done from the game. The felid was probably my favorite.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So is it intentional that *contam procs when you're forced to unwield a piece of gear due to a mutation.

Cause that kind of sucks hard. At least Xom thinks its hilarious! :regd09:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Update to the Cyno species (when the CBRO experimentals get rebuilt):
Stats changed from 5/5/5 to 7/8/9
XP attribute changed from -1 to -4
Added Strong Nose species mutation - Detects items and monsters in a 3/5/7 tile radius (given at XL 1/XL 11/XL 22)

Skill cap is currently still a static 14, but I'll be working on implementing the dynamic-ish cap this weekend.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Negative 4 xp???? Jesus christ

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Negative 4 xp???? Jesus christ

I'll probably be shrinking it to -3 or -2 once the dynamic skill cap is in.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

:rip: pizza

I hope royal jelly gets turned into a custom food type instead so I can set it back to pizza in the rcfile someday :smith:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
And by association, :rip: the last remnants of cheese(remember when the rathole vaults had that?). The flavor cost...

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
thank god I don't have to turn 2 more kinds of food off autopickup every game tbqh

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'm kind of torn because I liked the goofy random messages but simultaneously resented the extra inventory spot.

FR: Have tons of wacky food but make it so they only take one inventory slot

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

A good change

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Remove royal jellies before pizza tbh

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Scaramouche posted:

FR: Have tons of wacky food but make it so they only take one inventory slot
you could do a Rogue thing and only have one kind of food, but let you choose what kind it is in your rcfile(and apply an appropriate tile from all the food tiles that have existed over the years)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I really don't care but it annoys me that removing silly flavor stuff takes priority over removing the poo poo that is actually negatively impacting the game.

Seriously get rid of hell glow already.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

crawl 2.0: replaced pizza with frog dog

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

cheetah7071 posted:

Remove royal jellies before pizza tbh

FR: Bees are now baker bees and make delicious pizza in their hives/ovens

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

i'm as mad about pizza in crawl as i am about other events today

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Remove bread before pizza

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Pizza rations: You just eat an entire pizza, like the animal you are.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Pizza, especially pandemonium pizza, is vital to the new player crawl experience. [1/53]

Please keep pizza.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Just change it to a generic ration then have a ton of flavor text for what dish you just ate. You can have two kinds got vegetarian and meat

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
We need gluten-free rations. And vegan.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Just another blatant attempt to cow to the lactose intolerant lobby :rolleyes:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Just under the buzzer.

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/InternetKraken/morgue-InternetKraken-20170121-073801.txt

Didn't expect this to be a Xom game but it turned out okay. Mainly because I got a ridiculously good demonspawn mutation set. Innate rF+, rC+, and rN+? Can't get much better than that. Also nightstalker on top of darkness means its really hard to get overwhelmed even in extended. Xom also kept his fuckery to minimum...mostly. Almost ran out of curing potions due to how much I got confused in front of a ton of enemies.

Its also pretty funny that ignite blood doesn't make any noise so monsters peacefully slept through their pals erupting into flames.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Floodkiller posted:

If anything, the skill cap is more likely to go down over up. I'll leave it at 14 for the next iteration as I don't want to start heavily designing around pro players (there's a recorded winning game with the highest skill being 7.9!), but I'll probably use it as a tweaking number if the species only needs a minor step in one direction or the other to 'feel balanced'. Also, increasing the number to accomodate shields would have the same argument pop up as to why I can't accomodate it for 16 skill weapons, etc.

Weapons below min delay are just 0.1 slower. Shields below a minimum skill produce a malus to casting and EV. And shields are barely worth it to start with. For hybrids, in most cases the extra SH (and possible ego) won't be worth it with casting skills and dodging capped.

This is not a game breaking issue, I'm just saying positioning this race as a hybrid race and them effectively limiting most players to bucklers is a big middle finger to shields.

quote:

I dislike the idea of busting the skill cap from a design level. It's incredibly hard to balance; giving the player the ability to break the skill cap on a single skill will likely result in picking whatever their main Kill Dudes skill every time, and they will likely have a lot of opportunity to train it to max (or whatever max they care about) with the excess XP they will have when they don't have any other skills they are interested in training.

How about you can't bust the cap on weapon skills or conjurations then? Maybe Fighting, too? That still pushes people strongly towards 1h weapons, shields, casting.

I quit playing not because my skills were low but because I wasn't spellcasting and was done with my skills by the first rune. If I had been casting that would have likely happened pre-depths. Killing things to get better at stuff in a way I have some control over is a necessary element of the game for me. I think most people feel the same to some degree.

One proposed solution is allowing XP to be spent on capped skills in some form and possibly with side effects. I am sure there are other things you could do. What I want to clarify is the deal breaker is hitting a spot where I have nothing meaningful to do with my XP. Solve that and I think you're down to tuning the actual caps and apts values, and of course flavor like sense invisible. It's an interesting niche for a race to fill and it presents meaningful choices to the player.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Floodkiller posted:

Skill cap is currently still a static 14, but I'll be working on implementing the dynamic-ish cap this weekend.

I got this working yesterday and played it enough to know that I don't like it, so back to the drawing board.

Maybe I'll try developing around jokes instead and let the player increase the skill cap by eating books (banned from worshipping Sif).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
You could make skills able to climb above 14 but decay back down to 14 over time.

• Locked thread