Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Guillermus posted:

Infamous first son and second son pack for 12.99€. Looks like a good deal but I know nothing about this game aside that it is an open world with superpowers kind of thing, right?

yeah second son is very much a launch title type of game. its a solid 7/10 gameplay wise but it has a terrific main character performance that helps alot. looks good too.

first light is a stand alone expansion on the one good power set from the base game, the neon. the gameplay is so much better and the challenge arena is good fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Guillermus posted:

Thanks! I'll give it a pass until it drops that low, same with The Order 1886 :haw:

On Saints Row IV topic: Does people like it more than 3? I found that the superpowers got boring fast and Prototype does the "be a super jerk" better. Am I broken? I liked 3 more since you started a gang in a new city and things start getting ridiculous. In IV is matrix plus aliens invade and gently caress up the earth wich I don't really get. That's what is stopping me from impulse buying InFamous that and the open world looks a bit empty, is it true?

InFamous SS's Seattle has a lot of personality, but the NPCs don't do/say a lot. There are your standard "here are open world activities" markers and roaming mobs of enemies that randomly patrol and will fight you if you are in their sight. The powers in InFamous are more meaningful because of the context in which you get them and what they mean for the story. They also change slightly depending on if you go for a "good" ending or an "evil" ending. It's a game well worth your time, IMO. The powers and move set just feel so good to me that I will occasionally fire up the game again even though I already got the plat for it.

SR4 is just fun as hell to me. The story goes weird places, but I love the characters so much.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the first few hours of sr4 are great but it fell off and i couldn't finish.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

sr4 is great but it's also using the exact same city from the last game with no alterations. they're both good but it's pretty obvious 4 started its life as an expansion for 3

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Killzone chat ITT cracks me up because while I never played it on PS4 the one that they--or another team?--made for Vita was really really good and had a decent MP

Yeah its pretty much the best handheld game of all time. It's the only shooter MP on any console that I enjoyed too.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I have zero confidence in that team to make a story I care about.

For real Killzone: Shadowfall is kind of cool for the first, like, level and a half. After that you get typical FPS weapons and the entire rest of the game is the dumbest poo poo ever. I love that the only good Killzone game is the Vita one which wasn't even made by Guerilla Games. I couldn't believe how good that game was compared to any other Killzone game.

THAT said, the PSP Killzone is loving awesome, it's an overhead tactical game and not an FPS, well worth checking out.

I was so hype for Horizon because gently caress yes cavepeople and robot dinosaurs poo poo will own but oh my god the entire game being like THIS DINOSAUR ROBOT IS GLOWING BLUE IT IS NEUTRAL THIS DINOSAUR IS GLOWING RED IT WILL HURT YOU are you loving kidding me? It's a huge indicator of "like most games we boast a living breathing world but literally every single thing in it either makes a beeline for you to kill you or just walks around in a circle til you kill it or ride/interact/craft/whatever it to get better gear." I don't know, it just seems really stupid in a bunch of ways. I'm still going to give it a chance but hell I'll probably just borrow the disk from a friend or something next year, I have so many games to catch up on as it is.

Speaking of cave people Far Cry: Primal was a letdown too. It was idiotic to reuse the Far Cry 4 map and rush that game as much as it was, they should have given it a real budget and straight up made it the next Far Cry because like Killzone it feels like an unbalanced broken tech demo for what could be an awesome game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I hosed up getting the Platinum headset. Using it for several hours and then going back to my wired Sennheisers was night and day for comfort and sound quality, at least for music. The wireless, mic and virtual 3D are nice but it's no match for what matters to me the most. In the US I'd just head back and return it but Japan things don't work that way; I'll need to sell them to a recycle shop at some point.

Just another pair of headphones on a huge pile of headphones I should have not have bought over the last ten years or so.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Gaming headsets will always be a huge ripoff, unlike games themselves companies make like a 40% - 60% profit margin on them, that should tell you something about how much it costs to make them.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

For real Killzone: Shadowfall is kind of cool for the first, like, level and a half. After that you get typical FPS weapons and the entire rest of the game is the dumbest poo poo ever. I love that the only good Killzone game is the Vita one which wasn't even made by Guerilla Games. I couldn't believe how good that game was compared to any other Killzone game.

Incidentally the Cambridge studio who made Killzone on Vita was just shut down by Sony which is unfortunate.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Neo Rasa posted:

Gaming headsets will always be a huge ripoff, unlike games themselves companies make like a 40% - 60% profit margin on them, that should tell you something about how much it costs to make them.

I just really hate wires and like to walk to the bathroom with my headset on

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I just really hate wires and like to walk to the bathroom with my headset on
Actually the range of the Platinum doesn't extend into my bathroom when I am pretty sure the Gold did, but that was a long time ago and maybe I am forgetting.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
I'm pretty sure I'm the reason for the "sound of piss" in the Destiny thread title.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Man, it's sure an adjustment to go from the climbing in UC4 to UC2 in the collection.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The online treasure hunt mode in Gravity Rush 2 really is incredible. One of the implications of how it works is that they made every building and every island distinctive enough from each other that you can locate the treasure. It's my favorite part of the game so far.

So like, in this picture:

The bottom of that island, which is one of about a hundred in this region alone, was unique enough for me to find the treasure just from looking at it.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jan 21, 2017

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Samurai Sanders posted:

The online treasure hunt mode in Gravity Rush 2 really is incredible. One of the implications of how it works is that they made every building and every island distinctive enough from each other that you can locate the treasure. It's my favorite part of the game so far.

Yeah, it's loving cool. So is waking up to see a bunch of people liked your dumbass photo and you got enough tokens to get a new outfit or emote out of it.

Game's real good! Also the donut emote is incredible.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

GR2 starts out really rough. I have no doubt I'll enjoy it because I really liked the first one but the first couple of hours are brutally boring. It seems to be picking up though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Samurai Sanders posted:

So like, in this picture:

The bottom of that island, which is one of about a hundred in this region alone, was unique enough for me to find the treasure just from looking at it.

You're clearly wrong, the best part is taking a silly photo for people to use to find the treasure chest themselves afterwards :colbert:. Also I've only just realized why the styles are called Lunar and Jupiter, respectively; Relative gravity :cripes:.

A bit of free advice for Gravity Rush 2 as well; About halfway through the game when you see the story mission "The Crowd" become available, go clear out your available sidequests first if you plan to do them. You won't be coming back to Jirga Para Lhao for a while once you start it.

veni veni veni posted:

GR2 starts out really rough. I have no doubt I'll enjoy it because I really liked the first one but the first couple of hours are brutally boring. It seems to be picking up though.

The first Chapter's little more than a tutorial, just burn through the story missions until you head off to the big city.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I liked it consistently from the very beginning. I am struggling to think of an open world game I have enjoyed more. I thought the first game was pretty good given its limitations as a Vita launch game port but this one is bonkers.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Samurai Sanders posted:

I liked it consistently from the very beginning. I am struggling to think of an open world game I have enjoyed more. I thought the first game was pretty good given its limitations as a Vita launch game port but this one is bonkers.

Some of the sneaking missions can get a bit bullshit with their detection radius and finding the path the developers want you to take, but by-and-large it's a fantastic improvement on a great game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

the sneaking missions

this game dropped a lot of spaces on my to play list just now

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
At least you can just kick the poo poo out of any guards who see you at no penalty but yeah, there are some invisible walls where if you go beyond them you get auto-detected and have to start over. Pretty inappropriate for a game that is about free movement first and foremost.

I thought the period of obligatory sneaking parts in otherwise action games went away in the mid 2000s...

AggroJagg
Mar 7, 2007
Hermits aren't broken, just favoured.

cubicle gangster posted:

I am level 70, paragon level 25 I got one green item (thats a 'set' right) but I got that in act 5. username is neilinnyc

I'm playing as a wizard. tried a couple others but freeze, clone, blizzard and a death ray that doesnt appear to use any arcane power because it recharges so quickly is obscenely powerful.

I'm not much of a wizard player at all, but I've played so much D3 that I've probably got a full set or two and a couple best in slot weapons. Even if you don't go full sperge and rebuild your skill set up to match the gear I'd think the general boost to your survivabilty and damage will get you up a a bunch of torment levels.

I'll log in some point today and mail you some gear.

You should aim to be playing and surviving on T10 that's sort of the sweet spot for a shot at the best quality gear and things still being manageable/quick kills.

T13 is ultimately the goal (and pushing high rifts) but that torment (and high rifts) depends mostly on you playing to the gimmick of whatever gear set you run. I played a lot of the leap quake barbarian, and the gimmick there is that as long as you are jumping about your defence/armour gets a massive boost and allows you to stay alive in the middle of otherwise deadly poo poo. But as soon as you spend too long not having jumped you'll get one shot. BUT jumping about is huge fun so it's all good!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Zipperelli. posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm the reason for the "sound of piss" in the Destiny thread title.

Use your mute button if you don't want me to get all hot and bothered to the sound of your piss, just sayin.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
If I always wanted to play the Yakuza games but just never got around to it should I just play Yakuza 0 when it comes out in a few day? I played a little bit of 1 a few years back but got distracted by work and never went back, remember I was enjoying it well enough and was planning on playing them all at some point but this ones getting great reviews so I was thinking of getting it and just playing that then maybe the PS3 ones later in the year? Heard they had good "previously on" videos you could watch to get the backstory of the previous ones, since I doubt I'd want to play 1 or 2 if they're quite aged mechanically.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

thebardyspoon posted:

If I always wanted to play the Yakuza games but just never got around to it should I just play Yakuza 0 when it comes out in a few day? I played a little bit of 1 a few years back but got distracted by work and never went back, remember I was enjoying it well enough and was planning on playing them all at some point but this ones getting great reviews so I was thinking of getting it and just playing that then maybe the PS3 ones later in the year? Heard they had good "previously on" videos you could watch to get the backstory of the previous ones, since I doubt I'd want to play 1 or 2 if they're quite aged mechanically.
That's such a common question in this thread maybe it should go in the OP. Yes, they are always good about filling you in on the characters and stuff from previous games.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yakuza 0 is a prequel. You couldn't find a better game to jump into story wise.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Finished Last Guardian, like with Ico and SotC it got real dusty all of a sudden. Overall I'm pretty happy with it, but it definitely seems like the team was struggling with the task of implementing worthwhile gameplay. If you took out all the identical "puzzles", where you let Trico lift you up or climb around an obstacle so you can open a gate for Trico from the other side, the game would be at most 5 hours long. And it would be better for it. Also the game is basically Ico, just replace Yorda with a little boy and Ico with a large chicken catdog. They even share similar story beats, with children being sacrificed/kidnapped, and it turning out that you've been killing/eating those children all along. The big bad sucked, too. It's never a good thing to unveil the bad guy the second before you have to beat it. The ending was pretty good but I wish they game didn't spell out for you that you need to tell Trico to run away. Still hit me in the feels, though. I'd recommend the game for fans of Ico/SotC, but I still believe those games are better.

I do like that there were things I managed to miss on my own and only found out when looking for videos, like how you can pet Trico to sleep if you keep at it long enough. Or that you can get him to search for you if you hide behind something.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 21, 2017

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Yakuza 0 is a prequel. You couldn't find a better game to jump into story wise.

Yeah I know but it might have been one of those ones where a lot of the stuff is for series veterans only and story beats don't hit so well if you're going in new. The reviews I've been seeing have been from first timers though so seems like that's not the case. Now I just have to wait for it to come back in stock on UK Amazon to order it. Keeps switching between available and unavailable by the time I get to checkout every time I've tried today.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

Now I just have to wait for it to come back in stock on UK Amazon to order it. Keeps switching between available and unavailable by the time I get to checkout every time I've tried today.

I'm the dumbass who cancelled my preorder from amazon.co.uk so I could avail of their £10 off voucher code before checking if they still had it in stock so I'm right there with ya buddy :v:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I loved the hell out of Gravity Rush but it was clearly a small game I was happy paying $20 for. The new one is full price but it sounds like a full game, does that seem accurate?

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick

Caphi posted:

I loved the hell out of Gravity Rush but it was clearly a small game I was happy paying $20 for. The new one is full price but it sounds like a full game, does that seem accurate?
I hear that you can expect at least 15 or 20 hours.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah I know but it might have been one of those ones where a lot of the stuff is for series veterans only and story beats don't hit so well if you're going in new. The reviews I've been seeing have been from first timers though so seems like that's not the case. Now I just have to wait for it to come back in stock on UK Amazon to order it. Keeps switching between available and unavailable by the time I get to checkout every time I've tried today.

Yakuza isn't so much about hard gameplay. There will be references but it's all about atmosphere and setting. I'm hoping that the disc version is not like Yakuza 5,that had horrendous load times on disc compared to digital

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I didn't even know 5 had a disc version. Also PS4 games don't load off disc.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I didn't even know 5 had a disc version. Also PS4 games don't load off disc.

The Japanese release had,and it was bad. Didn't know that about ps4 games not loading off the disc tho.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yep it's only for installation and DRM.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yep it's only for installation and DRM.

The problem with Blu-Ray is the read-rate is relatively atrocious compared to that of DVD's, which is why the PS3 had to install games to its hard drive while the X360 didn't and why the XBone and PS4 both need to as well.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The problem with Blu-Ray is the read-rate is relatively atrocious compared to that of DVD's, which is why the PS3 had to install games to its hard drive while the X360 didn't and why the XBone and PS4 both need to as well.

Doesn't help that texture sizes have grown to extreme levels for HD quality.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i am seriously excited for yakuza 0 and re7 next week, although amazon is telling me they wont get here until thursday for some reason. also what the heck is with all of these games coming out this time of year? it doesnt seem like this is very common

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

also what the heck is with all of these games coming out this time of year? it doesnt seem like this is very common

The past six months has been the best release window I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's pretty nuts for the next couple too, tails off in April fortunately but that might just be because not much has been announced yet.