Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

STAC Goat posted:

Giant definitely got lost in WCW in time. They still booked him strong against 90% of the roster (which is where that advantage of the WCW roster size came in because he could just beat up on midcarders forever) but the Stings and Lugers and Savages and Halls and Hogans and Nashes were all on his level at that point.

Except Flair. I feel like Flair never stopped selling him like Death. But that's Flair.

But like WWE never even gave him that first year monster push. He just got thrown right into the mix of the main eventers. Which again, is a bit of an empty criticism on paper when we're complaining that he was treated as equal to one of the best group of main eventers of all time. But it still just killed the mystique quick.

He was also a deserting WCW guy and the backstage was super against pushing them hard because they hadn't paid their dues in WWF land yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I think the real question is how can John Cena possibly lift Big Show up for the AA?!?

Sandman from ECW fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 19, 2017

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I remember hearing a story that when Big Show came to WWE, Undertaker went up to him in the locker room and basically ordered him to slow down his style. Is there any truth to that, or am I conflating other stories? (I know for sure they demoted him to OVW for a while and forced him to lose weight).

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Sounds like 'taker needs to mind his own drat business

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Sandman McMahon posted:

I think the real question is how can John Cena possibly lift Big Show up for the AA?!?

John Cena could AA 2.5 Big Shows.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Benne posted:

I remember hearing a story that when Big Show came to WWE, Undertaker went up to him in the locker room and basically ordered him to slow down his style. Is there any truth to that, or am I conflating other stories? (I know for sure they demoted him to OVW for a while and forced him to lose weight).

I remember the story of Nash wrestling Backlund, and Backlund called "sunset flip", and Nash did a senton into the ring and did a sunset flip. And then he ate a tremendous amount of poo poo in the locker room after.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

new phone who dis posted:

He was also a deserting WCW guy and the backstage was super against pushing them hard because they hadn't paid their dues in WWF land yet.

He was frankly considered not a very good worker by the boys and had attitude problems when he came in, which led to being busted down to developmental and the infamous "Stevie Richards does all the Big Show parts" in No Mercy. His interviews with Steve Austin about this are hilarious. He got to work with Steve straight-off and every night Steve would potato him, and Big Show would do nothing. Finally Big Show has enough and lays into him, and Austin goes, "That's the spirit!"

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

Benne posted:

I know Hogan called him after he heard he'd done a moonsault at a house show (in JAPAN) and told him not to do poo poo like that, and that people should be bumping around him, and to act like a giant, otherwise he could never be believably beaten. He needed to be slow.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
There's a story that I don't remember ever seeing told in WWE, but I imagine it must have happened several times over the years since it's so simple. The story would be, "Face wrestles heel champion who is part of a tag team or stable. Face is expected to crush the heel and largely does so. During the match, the heel champion's buddies beat up a friend/spouse/tag team partner/manager/valet/whoever, and they broadcast it on the big screen in the arena once the face has the heel on the ropes. Face has to make a moral decision about whether to finish off the heel and become champion or accept the countout loss and go rescue the person instead." Has that little story been used for a match before?

Seems like a good way to build the face as strong and likable while generating heat for the dastardly but clever heel. It also lengthens the face's chase for the title and creates an angle for the rematch.

magnum_valentino posted:

I know Hogan called him after he heard he'd done a moonsault at a house show (in JAPAN) and told him not to do poo poo like that, and that people should be bumping around him, and to act like a giant, otherwise he could never be believably beaten. He needed to be slow.

Regardless of whether it was Hogan or someone else who told him that, they were right. If Big Show is trying to run around and do flips or whatever, it's technically impressive but takes away from his character. He needed to be a mountain who might be surprisingly quick/agile in short bursts but otherwise is all about power and intimidation. There are a LOT of big guys but a true giant is an attraction.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

surf rock posted:

There's a story that I don't remember ever seeing told in WWE, but I imagine it must have happened several times over the years since it's so simple. The story would be, "Face wrestles heel champion who is part of a tag team or stable. Face is expected to crush the heel and largely does so. During the match, the heel champion's buddies beat up a friend/spouse/tag team partner/manager/valet/whoever, and they broadcast it on the big screen in the arena once the face has the heel on the ropes. Face has to make a moral decision about whether to finish off the heel and become champion or accept the countout loss and go rescue the person instead." Has that little story been used for a match before?

Seems like a good way to build the face as strong and likable while generating heat for the dastardly but clever heel. It also lengthens the face's chase for the title and creates an angle for the rematch.

Regardless of whether it was Hogan or someone else who told him that, they were right. If Big Show is trying to run around and do flips or whatever, it's technically impressive but takes away from his character. He needed to be a mountain who might be surprisingly quick/agile in short bursts but otherwise is all about power and intimidation. There are a LOT of big guys but a true giant is an attraction.

The first thing happened in the Roman Reign's/Wyatt feud if I remember correctly. Roman doesn't seem to have benefited from it too much.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

surf rock posted:

it's definitely happened, i can't think of any specific examples but i know i saw it on some WWF Superstars episodes or whatever back in the day. the recent Nitro we watched had a hilarious inversion of this kind of thing where Elizabeth was hurt on the outside and The Total Package had the choice between tending to her or rolling into the ring to beat the double count-out and he chose correctly and advanced in the title tournament.

quote:

personally i really like the idea of unbeatable moonsaulting giant rampaging through a company with no end in sight and i bet america in 1997 would have, too

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

surf rock posted:

He's joking.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I just want to see a Big Show moonsault, is that too much to ask :saddowns:

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Benne posted:

I just want to see a Big Show moonsault, is that too much to ask :saddowns:

I want to see him do an indie standoff.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

remusclaw posted:

I want to see him do an indie standoff.

This reminds me of the time that Show and Kane decided to troll everybody by doing a chain-wrestling sequence. JR's reaction is priceless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjHpnoCag-g

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

Aye Doc posted:

the recent Nitro we watched had a hilarious inversion of this kind of thing where Elizabeth was hurt on the outside and The Total Package had the choice between tending to her or rolling into the ring to beat the double count-out and he chose correctly and advanced in the title tournament.

Is Lex Luger the greatest wrestler who ever lived?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

FunMerrania posted:

Is Lex Luger the greatest wrestler who ever lived?

He is but that wasn't Lex, he's dead. The Total Package did that.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
Have any wrestling figures ever received honorary degrees? I am going to nominate John Cena for an honorary degree at my alma mater.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'm sure Lanny Poffo picked up a few along the way.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Benne posted:

This reminds me of the time that Show and Kane decided to troll everybody by doing a chain-wrestling sequence. JR's reaction is priceless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjHpnoCag-g

Big Show doing a drop toe hold is especially funny to me for some reason.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I click that link every time it gets posted and as a result that's probably the wrestling match I've seen the most times

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Golashes posted:

Have any wrestling figures ever received honorary degrees? I am going to nominate John Cena for an honorary degree at my alma mater.
The guy who invented pain management as a field of medicine was a retired pro wrestler, but his degrees weren't honorary.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I'm sure Lanny Poffo picked up a few along the way.

I mean he was

a

Genius

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gavok posted:

For the record, here's what I had in the previous version of the list:

This is from a few days ago, but one of my most hated Rumble moments is Rey in 06. Not because he won, but because he went bell to bell, but not reeeeeeally, because he was #2, and HHH was #1

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

St Evan Echoes posted:

I click that link every time it gets posted and as a result that's probably the wrestling match I've seen the most times

Same

It also owns every single time

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Nut Bunnies posted:

This is from a few days ago, but one of my most hated Rumble moments is Rey in 06. Not because he won, but because he went bell to bell, but not reeeeeeally, because he was #2, and HHH was #1
Haha the whole thing with #1 & #2 being functionally identical is such a nagging technicality in my nerd brain. One could even argue that #2 is at a slight disadvantage, since #1 gets to take a breather during #2's entrance.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

surf rock posted:

The first RAW I saw (Oct 28th 2002) had Bubba Dudley and Jeff Hardy vs. Jericho and Christian for the tag team titles. During the match 3 Minute Warning came out to the ramp with battered Spike Dudley and Bubba left to help him leaving Jeff alone.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Nut Bunnies posted:

And it would have made more sense for Rey to come out first.

*Rey comes out*
"Who's he going to face?"
*HHH comes out. Suddenly odds seem against Rey*

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Golashes posted:

Cena has an honorary PHD in Thuganomics from the University of Tennessee, while Slick was awarded an honorary PHD in Style from the Fashion Institute of Technology.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Nut Bunnies posted:

I kinda wish they'd just throw the first entry in there for an extra minute once the bell rings instead of having #2 come out right away with no separation. That way the #1 entry has to defend their position instead of just slug it out from the bell. Otherwise they might as well call them co-#1s.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Are there any particularly good intergender matches?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Golashes posted:

Jim Duggan once received a college degree.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Kennel posted:

For a recent pretty good one, I'll recommend Io Shirai (as Hitokiri) versus Pentagon Dark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9yl1K6iwPQ

The third in a three-match gauntlet, the other two matches versus Mayu Iwatani and Kairi Hojo were also good, although they were more in the nature of set up matches for this one.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Kennel posted:

Sara Del Rey had good matches in CHIKARA against Kingston and Cesaro in the 12 Large Summit and an alright match with Cesaro against Mike Quackenbush/Manami Toyota
Candace LaRae matches are pretty good, there's a really bloody Guerrilla Warfare match with Joey Ryan against The Young Bucks
There's a couple deathmatches from IWA involving Mickie Knuckles & Lufisto and a couple more in Japan involving people like Kyoko Kimura but nothing specific jumps out at me

Most recently the STARDOM girls had a great Gauntlet match with Pentagon Dark in Lucha Underground

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

exploded mummy posted:

Jim Duggan once received a college degree.

LarryZbyszkoLaughing.jpg

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Why do they call what Asuka does a hip attack when it's clearly a flying butt?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Because 'hip' is a Japanese euphamism for a lady's rear end.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm going to start calling it an rear end Toss

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

because Naomi calls it the Rear View

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Watching the 1998 Royal Rumble right now, and I had a question. Is Mick Foley the only person to ever enter the same rumble multiple times as different gimmicks?

Two additional questions along these lines:

1.) What other wrestlers treated gimmicks the same way Foley did by having it be known even in kayfabe that it's all the same guy?
2.) Were the three gimmicks supposed to be different but equal, or is one meant to be considered stronger than the others?

As a kid, I always thought that Mankind was the most capable gimmick, followed by Cactus Jack and then Dude Love, but then there was Cactus Jack's return against Triple H where he's presented as an upgrade. In the rumble I'm watching, though, Cactus Jack got tossed out by Terry Funk but Mankind eliminates Funk immediately. So, I imagine the answer is "whatever made the story work that night" is the answer.

Edit: Holy poo poo this rumble ends with Austin vs. Rock, hell yeah

Second edit: Austin got so insanely over from 1997 to 1998.

Third edit: I miss all the signs in the crowd.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 22, 2017