Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Tide posted:

what goons are playing onward?

Steam ID: wade_1125

I play onward a lot, its pretty baller.
Your Steam ID doesn't appear to be correct as it says it can't find you.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ragesaq is me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
The oculus controller thing bothered me for a couple hours, then learned the behavior and haven't thought about it much since then.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Tide posted:

what goons are playing onward?

Steam ID: wade_1125
It says that there are no users under that name?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It's working now. Needed to add 5 bucks to this account. My kid is using my other with all my old games on it. Added ragesaq

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

FormatAmerica posted:

It worked great until i introduced cable extensions, then it worked great for a while on a couple different computers then randomly broke.

Have you tried cleaning the contacts of your cables with isopropyl alcohol? Especially if you live somewhere with medium to high humidity. I'm not a big fan of gold plated contacts, but sending USB 3 over an extension cable with zero tolerance for latency seems like an excellent way to play the signal strength lottery and corroded contacts is an easy place to lose 10-25% signal strength of an already weak signal.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Onward goons, add me on steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/antipax

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I made a Steam group for Onward goons, creatively called Goonward, so we can all shoot mans in VR.
Sadly Onward doesn't really have any grouping functionality so it's still work to team up, but it's a start!
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/Goonward

rage-saq fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 16, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Guys, just use the Discord and organise games through there, it's much better and easier to use than Steam for grouping!

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/01/oculus-accused-of-destroying-evidence-zuckerberg-to-testify-in-vr-theft-trial/

Falken posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBU0OktGeiM

I think I want that new headstrap.

e: Holy poo poo, it goes onto the head so loving smoothly. I *really* want that headstrap.

e2: I'm really interested in that VR rifle.

This is awesome but are the headphones removable and can I still use my own headphones?

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jan 17, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Knifegrab posted:

This is awesome but are the headphones removable and can I still use my own headphones?

Still about the headphones!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Knifegrab posted:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/01/oculus-accused-of-destroying-evidence-zuckerberg-to-testify-in-vr-theft-trial/

yes

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Holy poo poo the VR mod for Doom 3 BFG edition is actually really good. I'm not the biggest fan of Doom 3 as a game but there's a lot to be said for actually being there and getting to aim and fire the weapons yourself.

Also a super cheap way to have a full length game to play :3:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Subjunctive posted:

I'm a simple man, I see a head strap, I ask about headphones. Wonder what the quality of the vives built ins are like, but you still lose so much isolation with on the ears.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Headphones for nerds are like purses for women; some are cheap, some are ridiculously expensive, there's a million variations but at the end of the day they all do exactly the same job within 1% of each other, yet people are very particular about the one they own. I've decided to just let it go, there's nothing you can do about it.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
For me headphones are about comfort as much as they are about sound quality. I prefer over-ear as opposed to on-ear, but I don't think that would work very well on a HMD headstrap. I'm probably in for that vive headstrap and wireless module on day one, the reviews sound great.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Yeah the wireless gizmo seems to actually work which is a nice surprise. VR moving pretty fast.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I swapped back to the original headphones on the rift. While it's annoying to put the headset on with them, I just don't like isolating earbuds. It seems to amplify every noise I make.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

mad.radhu posted:

For me headphones are about comfort as much as they are about sound quality. I prefer over-ear as opposed to on-ear, but I don't think that would work very well on a HMD headstrap. I'm probably in for that vive headstrap and wireless module on day one, the reviews sound great.
Yeah, I have an 11 year old pair of Sennheiser HD215s that go over my ear. I still use them to this day because they refuse to die. My Marleys are super uncomfortable with glasses on because they sit on the ears and squeeze pretty hard. :/

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Carmack noooo, feel bad about theft not that you got caught...

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

KakerMix posted:

Carmack noooo, feel bad about theft not that you got caught...

This sums it up:

If it were anyone else saying they rewrote the code from scratch, I'd call bullshit.
With Carmack though? I'd believe he sneezed onto the keyboard and functioning code happened.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Deviant posted:

This sums it up:

If it were anyone else saying they rewrote the code from scratch, I'd call bullshit.
With Carmack though? I'd believe he sneezed onto the keyboard and functioning code happened.

Yes but he was also caught stealing computers early in his life and his psych evaluation was that he felt bad he was caught and that he would def. do something like that again. And I do believe that Luckey wouldn't have been able to do a drat thign without Carmack and it certainly seems Zenimax also thinks so.
I like listening to Carmack talk about neato code things and it would be a shame to have this stuff be true and him to become 'that one guy that stole VR for Oculus that cost them 2 billion dollars' you know?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I mean, Carmack is a hardcore libertarian so definitely don't idolize him outside of his programming skills

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Ew gross.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
Does anyone know what exactly Zenimax is seeking in their suit? Aside from money, I mean.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Maybe they want to own Facebook.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Does anyone know what exactly Zenimax is seeking in their suit? Aside from money, I mean.

Lots of money?

Best case scenario for them I imagine is they get a piece of Oculus in some way, which could get them tons of cash downstream if it ever really takes off

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Facebook has a private military worth of lawyers, they took this on in the first place knowing that the value of the brand is worth the trouble of the lawsuits.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme

Lemming posted:

Lots of money?

Best case scenario for them I imagine is they get a piece of Oculus in some way, which could get them tons of cash downstream if it ever really takes off

Yeah, I was figuring that since they claim Oculus stole tech from them to make the Rift, they'd want to be paid licensing fees.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Just $2B as far as I can tell. Haven't seen anything about other requested remedies, but I haven't read the filing itself.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Now I wanna steal a robotic arm from a car assembly plant and make one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KnS3aESNk0

Can those vestibular stimulation earphone things theoretically do everything that thing can?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Facebook has a private military worth of lawyers, they took this on in the first place knowing that the value of the brand is worth the trouble of the lawsuits.

Zenimax is stocked with lawyers too and the company has a history of being quite litigious. This court case was inevitable.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zero VGS posted:

Now I wanna steal a robotic arm from a car assembly plant and make one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KnS3aESNk0

Can those vestibular stimulation earphone things theoretically do everything that thing can?

What, no rollercoaster demo? It's not a VR product without a rollercoaster demo :colbert:.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme

SwissCM posted:

Zenimax is stocked with lawyers too and the company has a history of being quite litigious. This court case was inevitable.

Yeah, this is the same company that sued Mojang over the use of "Scrolls" as a game title.

vvvvv That was before the Microsoft acquisition, I believe.

Ludicrous Gibs! fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 20, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
So Zenimax likes to sue smaller companies owned by very large companies?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I got Witcher 3 to work in SBS 3D with Tridef + BigScreen and holy crap, that game would be even loving better in VR. Performance was an issue even with a 1080 gtx + all graphics options turned down, but I do have some fairly ludicrous antialiasing options forced in NVidia control panel.
When I first loaded it at normal graphics settings, the thing was chugging so hard and ATW was producing some fairly odd artifacts. But I'm amazed at how TriDef just seems to work- and gives a great sense of 3D, even if closeups of characters make them look a bit flat.

Bigscreen was forcing dual screens (the large flat fixed one AND the moveable/adjustable one) when selecting the SBS option for some reason, but there's a checkbox below the SBS option which allows you to choose any screen config when using SBS.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jan 20, 2017

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Yeah, this is the same company that sued Mojang over the use of "Scrolls" as a game title.

To be fair, copyright law is totally hosed, and if you aren't as protective of your copyrights and trademarks as a mother bear, other companies can use that against you to infringe on your turf.

That's less an indictment on Zenimax as it is on the laws. They literally HAD to.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Zero VGS posted:

I don't think they can make you feel like you are upside down (no gravity after all), but they could hypothetically make you feel like you were moving around just as well if they work.

Those things are my number one "Please let this tech be real" VR Device. Too bad Samsung is making them so we probably won't see Vive compatible ones for awhile.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Talorat posted:

I don't think they can make you feel like you are upside down (no gravity after all), but they could hypothetically make you feel like you were moving around just as well if they work.

Those things are my number one "Please let this tech be real" VR Device. Too bad Samsung is making them so we probably won't see Vive compatible ones for awhile.

This is going to be a real interesting year for VR tech with second-gen stuff now that everyone and their dog's had a chance to rip apart Oculus and Vive headsets for their own purposes. HTC and Oculus might be muttering about no Mk.2 headsets in the near future but you can be damned sure they're looking at poo poo like FOVE's retina-tracking, or inside-out headset tracking, and furiously scribbling notes like a caffeine-infused grad student.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sky Shadowing posted:

To be fair, copyright law is totally hosed, and if you aren't as protective of your copyrights and trademarks as a mother bear, other companies can use that against you to infringe on your turf.

That's less an indictment on Zenimax as it is on the laws. They literally HAD to.

No, that only applies to trademarks, not copyright. There are no trademarks in play, AFAICT. Trademark and copyright law are quite distinct, which is appropriate since trademarks and copyright are quite different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I gotta give props to ZombieFight VR. Not because it's a good or interesting game, not that I have any desire to play a zombie wave shooter or not because it does anything new. No, I just need to shout out its excellent description on the store.

quote:

This is a real experience, the screen realistic, operating fever-level exciting, slightly terrorist elements VR shooting game.

Isn't that just wonderful? :allears: