Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

I hope Trump starts that nuclear holocaust.

So long as the missiles use NVDA powered guidance chips I'll be happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

So the atomic holocaust hedge is long PPG and GLW?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Moridin920 posted:

Idk if "you cannot be more wrong" is fair based on your anecdotal evidence? Also I did say 'religiously' in terms of I doubt you're getting ostracized by your friend group if you don't use it unless you're in high school or something.

And also "my friends all use it a bunch" is kind of meaningless too. Maybe you guys are just more into it than others. All my friends use Google Hangouts to communicate with each other :shrug:

And either way so what - how are they turning that userbase into profit? If it is already as ubiquitous as you say it is and they can't turn a profit today how is it going to be any different in a year or two? If anything it seems like you're saying they've penetrated the hell out of a market that is now saturated - the flip side of that coin is the rate of user growth will fall off rapidly.

e: thus to get profitable it's not just a question of increasing user base, it's also a question of adding advertising revenues. At that point you're walking a careful line between increasing ads and making money and increasing ads to the point that people start jumping ship for competing apps.

It's very hard hard to have these conversations with you when you go back and delete your entire post. A majority of it seemed to me about how no one in your friend group uses it, so I pointed out that in the 10-25 year old or whenever people get phones now it's insanely popular. I work with kids on the west coast and everyone has it. You're like the drat bloomberg guys who keep parroting no one around me uses it so it won't be popular!!

I have no idea how much it costs to get a custom event filter or how many people look at the ads for that OR how much that is worth to a company. I do know everyone in here needs to stop saying it isn't popular though :) No poo poo no one uses AIM anymore but right now young people are starting to Not Like a digital footprint whether it be for Facebook or Instagram names or 5 second pictures. Maybe the user base that pays follow the youth which drive the innovation like Facebook?

Also stop moving goalposts and deleting your posts no one caresss

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I honestly don't know if a nuclear holocaust would make MCZ go up or down.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Snapchat has a curated (ie sponsored) browsing experience which is a pretty rad and new experience, in addition to the messaging services already discussed

OTOH it feels like a lot of peeps have realized that they got burned on TWTR...so I suppose there could be a short-term story to tell with $SNAP

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
It's hard to comprehend what we are dealing with here. Trump has a team of sycophants willing to stand up and say 'the facts are not true, we have a set of alternative facts that are contrary to the lying media'. Is there a precedent for this kind of behavior in the USA? I know of several other places it has happened in the past... I have a hard time discerning Sean Spicer from Baghdad Bob after his first press conference. He will just stand at a podium and bark a ludicrous mistruth with a straight face. We are not headed to a good place.

The most interesting part of it all is they are bald faced lying about stupid, meaningless poo poo like crowds at a party, and managing to distract everyone from rather radical moves the Trump administration is rapidly making to undermine not just Obama's legacy, but the legacy of, more or less, post- Vietnam America.

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 23, 2017

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

It took one weekend but it quickly sunk in that he's a deranged man child and I think the smart money is on very little happening as resistance to this idiocy digs in. Right in front of the memorial wall too, holy poo poo. Just no loving clue.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

orange sky posted:

I am going to sell all my US stocks before the inauguration. When people realize what they did it's all gonna come crashing down

The one prediction in my life that might become true.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

greasyhands posted:

Is there a precedent for this kind of behavior in the USA?
Practically all of American history?

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Practically all of American history?

Do you really believe that? I don't think people are grasping the kind of lying that is going on here, and thats why it is so dangerous. This isn't politics as usual, smearing the grey area as much as possible to favor your side, or ignoring/deflecting questions that dont favor you... this is standing in front of the press corp and straight up denying a simple and easily measurable fact. And not just denying it, but declaring that the literal opposite is true- and celebrating that. Spicer has already become a meme and it would be funny, except its terrifying instead. You can dismiss it as silly and meaningless, but it actually is extremely sinister and Orwellian. Kelly Conway literally claimed to be presenting 'Alternative facts'. This is not normal.

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 23, 2017

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
She also claimed Trump needed his own intelligence agency and police force. Good times good times. Not sure what the play is maybe casket manufacturers you have the baby boomer deaths to fall back on in any case.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

greasyhands posted:

Do you really believe that? I don't think people are grasping the kind of lying that is going on here, and thats why it is so dangerous. This isn't politics as usual, smearing the grey area as much as possible to favor your side, or ignoring/deflecting questions that dont favor you... this is standing in front of the press corp and straight up denying a simple and easily measurable fact. And not just denying it, but declaring that the literal opposite is true- and celebrating that. Spicer has already become a meme and it would be funny, except its terrifying instead. You can dismiss it as silly and meaningless, but it actually is extremely sinister and Orwellian. Kelly Conway literally claimed to be presenting 'Alternative facts'. This is not normal.

This was all of american politics prior to, like, FDR. It may have trailed off a bit in the "golden age" of radio/TV journalism but it's happened before. Yellow journalism was the original fake news and alternative facts.

I'm not saying its a good return to form, but its hardly unprecedented.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Sold out of my NE calls @.80, +65% or so. Could have made a lot more selling them Friday, but oh well. Rolling the money into SPY Jun 16 '17 $225 Put @ 7.51. Will probably double down on my FIT options soon.

Time posted:

This was all of american politics prior to, like, FDR. It may have trailed off a bit in the "golden age" of radio/TV journalism but it's happened before. Yellow journalism was the original fake news and alternative facts.

I'm not saying its a good return to form, but its hardly unprecedented.

Uh, I would argue theres a big difference between tabloids and the white house press secretary

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 23, 2017

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

orange sky posted:

The one prediction in my life that might become true.

Oh no VTI down 0.36% :ohdear:

orange sky
May 7, 2007

monster on a stick posted:

Oh no VTI down 0.36% :ohdear:

Heh, I stand by what I said. The full extent of it hasn't dawned on most people yet.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
If you think naked bald faced lying is new to politics you haven't been paying attention.

Now you are paying attention, so that's good. Please continue paying attention.

But realize that terms like "reality-based community" were used with the same straight face as "alternative set of facts" over a decade ago.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

greasyhands posted:

Sold out of my NE calls @.80, +65% or so. Could have made a lot more selling them Friday, but oh well. Rolling the money into SPY Jun 16 '17 $225 Put @ 7.51. Will probably double down on my FIT options soon.

Uh, I would argue theres a big difference between tabloids and the white house press secretary

yeah, one of these had a lot more sway

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Time posted:

McCarthyism? Four O Clock Follies? The AIDS epidemic? Fireside Chats from FDR himself were in reality gross exaggerations to calm people down.

Politicians lie. The fact that this is coming as a surprise to people now that Trump is president is kind of ridiculous.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Cheesemaster200 posted:

McCarthyism? Four O Clock Follies? The AIDS epidemic? Fireside Chats from FDR himself were in reality gross exaggerations to calm people down.

Politicians lie. The fact that this is coming as a surprise to people now that Trump is president is kind of ridiculous.

All of this is valid and proves my overall point: People who are surprised by widespread lies from the mouths of politicians are those with a very short memory. Like myself.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Why would you think that it's the lies that concerns the people/businesses and not the policies? I'm much more scared regarding policy than regarding the lying.

All the basic tenants of American business are kind of being turned upside down with this whole "end the American carnage" stuff - don't think that the whole drat world will just bow to this new overlord, Trump, that says you can only BUY stuff from the USA and not SELL.

And worst of all, no one in the GOP is standing up to him. This is going to be a shitshow. It's not what I hope will happen, but it's what I think will happen. I, however, am poo poo at predicting things (brexit, trump) so take everything I say with a fuckload of salt.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Some of this is unprecedented. I mean his press secretary literally Baghdad Bob-ed and he's doing things we would laugh about dictators routinely doing so I dunno.

I think more problematically is that the US only superficially has a big stick. Iraq and Afghanistan has sort of laid that out. Too much bluster from ol Donny T and Russia/ China will finish becoming the big guy on the block.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Goodpancakes posted:

Some of this is unprecedented. I mean his press secretary literally Baghdad Bob-ed and he's doing things we would laugh about dictators routinely doing so I dunno.

I think more problematically is that the US only superficially has a big stick. Iraq and Afghanistan has sort of laid that out. Too much bluster from ol Donny T and Russia/ China will finish becoming the big guy on the block.

While of course this all seems a bit surreal, I think the concerns of trade wars are a bit overblown. Russia and china's economies are kind of hosed or at least teetering on near-hosed. Mexico is entirely dependent on us. Its actually the perfect time to extract concessions from nearly everyone. Now long term, maybe thats not the best course of action....but I don't think geopolitical actors have that long of a memory, so eh.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Baddog posted:

While of course this all seems a bit surreal, I think the concerns of trade wars are a bit overblown. Russia and china's economies are kind of hosed or at least teetering on near-hosed. Mexico is entirely dependent on us. Its actually the perfect time to extract concessions from nearly everyone. Now long term, maybe thats not the best course of action....but I don't think geopolitical actors have that long of a memory, so eh.

So they're all kind of hosed or teetering on hosed and now's the time to extract concessions from nearly everyone?

The Art of the Deal - gently caress the world

I don't mean to sound offensive or anything but... That's not good strategy in today's world. Someone else's Civil War will definitely affect the US (see:the Middle East)

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Bought FIT Mar 17 '17 $7 Call @ .71

bought UVXY @ 29.40

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 23, 2017

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Huh, the world hasn't exploded yet.

Neat.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

USA should be fine as long as the individual states behave

Also, now that net neutrality is back on the table, perhaps this is the time for the big data compression plays

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

It's very hard hard to have these conversations with you when you go back and delete your entire post. A majority of it seemed to me about how no one in your friend group uses it, so I pointed out that in the 10-25 year old or whenever people get phones now it's insanely popular. I work with kids on the west coast and everyone has it. You're like the drat bloomberg guys who keep parroting no one around me uses it so it won't be popular!!

I have no idea how much it costs to get a custom event filter or how many people look at the ads for that OR how much that is worth to a company. I do know everyone in here needs to stop saying it isn't popular though :) No poo poo no one uses AIM anymore but right now young people are starting to Not Like a digital footprint whether it be for Facebook or Instagram names or 5 second pictures. Maybe the user base that pays follow the youth which drive the innovation like Facebook?

Also stop moving goalposts and deleting your posts no one caresss

I don't really edit the content but yeah sorry I post and then think about it then re-write it's a bad habit. Just quote whatever it was though?

Look I'm not saying it isn't popular and idk why you're so defensive about that. I'm saying they aren't profitable at the moment, they have a tenuous plan based on pretty lofty projections about how to become profitable, they are apparently embroiled in some hubub about bad accounting practices (don't really know about that, just based on what another poster said), and I think their ~$19B or more IPO projection is their underwriters looking to make a killing because it seems like they arrived at that number after snorting a ball of coke.

I don't think anyone is saying "it's not popular." At most I'm saying its popularity is fickle by nature and I don't think it's quite as ubiquitous as you are saying.

Idk that Facebook is a good direct comparison btw considering the level of engagement Facebook requires letting it mine way more data about its users.

e: I don't think I've really made a different argument than that the whole time so idk where moving goal posts is coming from. It's about $$$ everything else is secondary.

greasyhands posted:

Kelly Conway literally claimed to be presenting 'Alternative facts'. This is not normal.

That poo poo was absurd.

orange sky posted:

So they're all kind of hosed or teetering on hosed and now's the time to extract concessions from nearly everyone?

Worked for Germany vis a vis Greece! Right?

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 23, 2017

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Blue states will be fine. Red states will basically be completely deregulated so good for business margins but perhaps not good for consumption and demand long term.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
e: woops thought this was a different thread.

cowofwar posted:

Blue states will be fine. Red states will basically be completely deregulated so good for business margins but perhaps not good for consumption and demand long term.

Red states like Kansas?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Doesn't NAFTA benefit Texas too? I mean you need a spot to stage all the parts you make in Mexico.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Baddog posted:

China's trade policies have been siphoning off American intellectual property for the better part of the last two decades. I would be less concerned about it if after they were fully open about their domestic market, but the reality has been quite the opposite. China "partners" with a western firm with advanced technology to the point where they can copy it and make their own state backed firm. Then they start turning the regulatory heat on the previous partner to push them out of the domestic market. It is a formula they have repeated for everything from films, industrial solvents to smartphones.

I am actually kind of happy someone is pushing back on them after 20+ years of trade idealism from previous administrations.

Competition with state backed capitalism isn't the same thing as this idealized globalization wonderland which everyone loves to push.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cheesemaster200 posted:

I am actually kind of happy someone is pushing back on them after 20+ years of trade idealism from previous administrations.

I am too actually, they get away with some absurdly ridiculous stuff and the Chinese government just kind of shrugs and goes 'sorry lol.'

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The problem is, the administration that is supposedly going to do the pushing-back seems to be alternately wildly incompetent, rife with internal power struggles, significantly unclear on fundamental facts of reality, or prone to wild reversals of policy on a dime. This does not inspire confidence that it can execute a carefully planned and successful pushback against Chinese trade manipulation.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Yeah that's great. If only it wasn't coming on the back of industry deregulation. Why remake the industrial pollution hell scape of China here? He stood up there and said we are cutting regs by 75%, maybe more. Great choice there

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

We're currently destroying every other country on earth in terms of trade, protectionism is just going to double prices at wal mart and lower the standard of living here significantly. Trade imbalances where we pay out are a very good thing, not sure why the shithead demo can't comprehend that. It's not an unbalanced checking account for gently caress's sake.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 23, 2017

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Buy plastic video game controllers!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah the administration's actual execution of policy is gonna be some shitshow for sure. I have 0 problem with a trade deficit, I'm just saying it'd be cool if the Chinese gov't would cooperate a bit more with stamping out intellectual property theft and whatnot.

I agree Trump/GOP's plan is dumb. Not even China wants to continue mass industrial pollution hellscape.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Leperflesh posted:

The problem is, the administration that is supposedly going to do the pushing-back seems to be alternately wildly incompetent, rife with internal power struggles, significantly unclear on fundamental facts of reality, or prone to wild reversals of policy on a dime. This does not inspire confidence that it can execute a carefully planned and successful pushback against Chinese trade manipulation.

Yes, Trump is acting like a twelve year old. However that doesn't invalidate some of the positions he takes. There is a growing sentiment to characterize everything Trump is associated with as wrong. I think people need to disseminate between the underlying policy position and the Trump administration's haphazard approach to addressing it.

Deregulation, lowering taxes, reducing government waste, and addressing state sponsored abuse of a globalized economy are all legitimate policy positions. Pursuing those policy positions by acting like an idiot on Twitter is where it goes wrong.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

I'd be curious to find data about investor returns vs their political ideologies, during periods they disagree with the party in power. That was clumsily worded but I'm phone posting.

Basically the second Trump was elected, Trump voter's view of the economy changed. Suddenly we had a good economy. A lot of people legitimately believed, no matter how wrong, that Obama was driving the economy off of a cliff and the world was ending. Meanwhile we just had an 8 year bull run, but it's somehow illegitimate because Obama bad.

Now everyone seems to think the world is imploding (financially). I can't help but be concerned, but I'm politically very left leaning. Am I biased? Trump is a piece of poo poo but that doesn't mean the market is about to collapse. A decent chunk of the population is actually celebrating recent events and if they have the means, are probably enthusiastically investing for the same reasons I have a deep urge to pull a lot of my money out (I won't).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Pursuing those policy positions by acting like an idiot on Twitter is where it goes wrong.

You, me and many others would like to smash his god damned phone to pieces.

paternity suitor posted:

A decent chunk of the population is actually celebrating recent events and if they have the means, are probably enthusiastically investing for the same reasons I have a deep urge to pull a lot of my money out (I won't).

Dude's a repub that is blinkered on trade deals. Honestly, as long as he keeps himself to that, which he seems to be experienced at, we'll be fine.

The moment he gets a taste for using the armed forces or attempts to enact meaningful social change, oooooo buddy, watch out.