Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Imperialist Dog posted:

A twitter anarchist chained himself to the US Consulate gates here in Hong Kong to protest Trump.

https://twitter.com/alexhofford/status/822340481996750848

this man has truly changed teh world now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

JaucheCharly posted:

Nice Klingon. How do they reconstruct the sounds of a language that isn't written in letters?

Even languages that are written in letters require a lot of guesswork on ancient pronunciation. A lot of it is based on what sounds most languages put next to each other, which is in turn based on the physical setup of your mouth and what is biologically easy to do. Often this sorts out the consonant sounds fairly well but you are left with more possible options for vowels (what makes a vowel sound a vowel sound is that it's a mouth posture that is easy to go to and from from most consonants, so they're the most flexible sounds which also makes them more interchangeable). There was a reference to this in one of those movies where people go back in time and there's an Egyptian they talk to -- we are not sure how ancient Egyptian was pronounced and the main discrepancy is which vowel sounds go where exactly.

Obviously there are more problems with this the less phonetic representation there is in the alphabet. I don't know exactly how they've established pronunciation for something like Chinese but I would guess that a) there are more texts talking about that from that time at least incidentally, including poetry where some of the sounds are easier to guess and b) there is more acceptance and less questioning of certain traditional interpretations of how things were said from scholars / government sources. But eventually it comes down to a sudoku puzzle of sounds where you make guesses and tumble the possibilities and there are some arguments that make more sense than others.

raton fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 20, 2017

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
You can also look to various related languages, isolated off shoots, and etymology in general to help fill in some of the gaps. It's still largely guesswork, but there is methodology to it and plenty of tools to use.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Zzulu posted:

please be considerate to the man who lost most of his chin fighting against trump fascism

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Kan re nao.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Atlas Hugged posted:

You can also look to various related languages, isolated off shoots, and etymology in general to help fill in some of the gaps. It's still largely guesswork, but there is methodology to it and plenty of tools to use.
So you're telling me that the Sumerian chants I recite every night to invoke the anunnaki could be wrong? WHAT?

gently caress you, Sitchin.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
I'd be totally down learning Cantonese.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Zzulu posted:

This just in, Trump steps down due to a person more orange than him protesting.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Xerxes17 posted:

Kan re nao.

what's the problem here, haier ploughs into a pedestrian on the reg and its fine???

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Zzulu posted:

They should have pulled his head off lol.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
We have a pretty good idea how Latin was pronounced because this guy wrote this speech denouncing how people were pronouncing it wrong. It's pretty interesting in that, for example, he bitches about the people of Ibera not saying "h" and that regional Latin eventually evolved into Spanish, in which the "h" is silent.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ladron posted:

We have a pretty good idea how Latin was pronounced because this guy wrote this speech denouncing how people were pronouncing it wrong. It's pretty interesting in that, for example, he bitches about the people of Ibera not saying "h" and that regional Latin eventually evolved into Spanish, in which the "h" is silent.

I like the part where Caesar is like "We tortured the Iberian and we did it so good he screamed out in his native tongue lol"

Also back in those days the Spanish looked and sounded like red headed Irish people.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Interesting. When did latinas get sexy?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Gargamel Gibson posted:

You're thinking of Western Hemisphere people. It's when they hosed all the indians to death.

Well actually they got hosed to death a bit by the muslims. Then they went and hosed the indians to death.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Bum the Sad posted:

Well actually they got hosed to death a bit by the muslims.

the moops

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

You're a moop.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Language evolution over time would really gently caress up a time travel story. Since time travel "dream" stories seem to make up a majority of Chinese television I can easily dismiss them.

For comparison, here's some basic Old English when it was still highly Germanic. You can see the connections with modern day English but it's so different as to be a foreign language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcfqgR4dHgg

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Sheep-Goats posted:

Also back in those days the Spanish looked and sounded like red headed Irish people.

the 2nd worse kind of people!

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Local: "Take the Metro to X station, and then take the bus to Y stop."
Me: *Looking at the map* "Y bus stop is only 1km from the Metro. I can just walk that."
Local: "But that's very far! You will be very tired."
Me: "It's like 10 minutes of walking. Come on."
Local: "Now it is winter! You will catch a cold."
Weather: *70f/21c and sunny*
Me: "No..."
Local: "Ok, ok. Do whatever you want!"

*Later*
Local: "Are you tired? Please, have a rest. Sit for a while."
Me: "No way, I am fine. Gat dam!"
Local: "You are young, maybe that's why you like sports."
Me: "You're younger than me!"
Local: "Yes, but we Chinese will keep warm during winter."
Me: "Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh-uuuhhhhhh"

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Haier posted:

Local: "Take the Metro to X station, and then take the bus to Y stop."
Me: *Looking at the map* "Y bus stop is only 1km from the Metro. I can just walk that."
Local: "But that's very far! You will be very tired."
Me: "It's like 10 minutes of walking. Come on."
Local: "Now it is winter! You will catch a cold."
Weather: *70f/21c and sunny*
Me: "No..."
Local: "Ok, ok. Do whatever you want!"

*Later*
Local: "Are you tired? Please, have a rest. Sit for a while."
Me: "No way, I am fine. Gat dam!"
Local: "You are young, maybe that's why you like sports."
Me: "You're younger than me!"
Local: "Yes, but we Chinese will keep warm during winter."
Me: "Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh-uuuhhhhhh"

I was real serious about pitching in to get you a go pro

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Gargamel Gibson posted:

When the Moors took over and raped everyone for hundreds of years I believe

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Sheep-Goats posted:

The Ummayyad Unibrow disagrees

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Sheep-Goats posted:

if you mean in south america and like in about the 1500s then yeah

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I really don't know much about Taiwan history so I was reading up on some 101 level stuff and holy poo poo the "white terror" lasted a long time. Much like south korea it seems like it was a horrible right wing dictatorship until pretty recently. They killed or imprisoned all their social and political elite too, just like Mao. Every china is worst china.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jan 21, 2017

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

I really don't know much about Taiwan history so I was reading up on some 101 level stuff and holy poo poo the "white terror" lasted a long time. Much like south korea it seems like it was a horrible right wing dictatorship until pretty recently. They killed or imprisoned all their social and political elite too, just like Mao. Every china is worst china.

Taiwan still #1

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
"I better not teach my kid to not be a little rear end in a top hat that bothers and touches other people or their things, since my kid might lose too much face if I did that."

Such a bad bad bad idea to go anywhere outside today.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Two fat Hong Kong kids pushing through the travelator at the central train station, while the Filipina helper who is of course carrying their backpacks says sorry for them.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Imperialist Dog posted:

Two fat Hong Kong kids pushing through the travelator at the central train station, while the Filipina helper who is of course carrying their backpacks says sorry for them.
That Mainland stock is making HK much more harmonious now, for the greater good.
----

Someone I don't know just sent me a friend request on Wechat with this message:

"晚上好,喝热水,保重身体" (Good evening, drink hot water, take care of the body)

Which one of you guys is trolling me?

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Hot water is good for the healthy.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Hella lovely but in terms of scale still a fraction as awful as the mainland even after adjusting for population.

I liked the part where they kept seats for all the other provinces in the assembly so even if every single voter in Taiwan opposed the KMT it would get cancelled out by some old guys "representing" Sichuan and Gansu.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Another difference is that it's admitted, it's remembered, there are memorials to the massacres and media about it. CKS is still on the money and he still has a big monument, but every Taiwanese person who's said anything about it has said he's a... complicated historical figure*, or they've just been like "he was a dickhead, gently caress him."

That said, it doesn't come up often, I'm not talking history over beers very much these days. One time was just that it was his birthday, which is still a minor holiday, and one guy said "oh yeah it's CKS's birthday. He was a dictator and I hate him." Then we went back to watching baseball.

*submit your 70%/30% jokes below this line

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Since this is the ancestral home of Korea thread, here is something from Korea:

https://giphy.com/gifs/l3q2tiwHf2j4toXQI

What did they think would happen?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Good lord, I have no idea what they were thinking with that.

Ouch.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That is actually to stupid even for me to laugh at.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Haier posted:

for real not the dumbest thing I've seen there..

ladron fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 14, 2017

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Haier posted:

I fully approve of this. The pipe had it coming.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Gorilla Salad posted:

Good lord, I have no idea what they were thinking with that.

Ouch.

You know what the answer is.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ladron posted:

Current mood: refusing to get hosed and thus unemployed again. I have like 30 days to decide my future.
PhD in Education, can't find a job, ama

Sounds cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

ladron posted:

Current mood: refusing to get hosed and thus unemployed again. I have like 30 days to decide my future.
PhD in Education, can't find a job, ama

maybe you can have a try in SHENYANG, LIAONING? or maybe you can have a rest first, that my thinking

• Locked thread