Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
Sounds like you want a swashbuckling bard, they have lots of cc, fight with a single light weapon and optionally a buckler, and can stealth like a rogue, just without the trapping ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I basically never spend my turbine points. I apparently have 3,300 sitting around now. I imagine most of those are from the expansions. I plan to buy a month VIP so I am not buying any adventure packs.

Any suggestions on what to spend the points on since there is a lot on sale now?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

DemonMage posted:

Mailed you an invite, would have done so sooner but didn't see the edit.

Thanks. Also, holy poo poo that's a lot of buffs.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
It's not huge news, but there's some comments on Stealth/Agro and stuff here.

Also includes this little tidbit:

quote:

I hope to get the "clean kills on monsters if their friends not looking" in pretty soon. We got a lot more know how back on the team since the new company, so expect things to change, even if little by little.

So that certainly sounds positive and I hope it means good things for DDO in the future. Though their new tight balance on item design is really uninspiring and makes it harder for me to look forward to stuff :( Here's to hoping for awesome new classes/quests to draw us back!

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Are people still playing this game after so long? I remember playing it some a year or two ago and being surprise how decent it was while playing as a solo dwarf cleric I think.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

There's no place with a big goon presence, but there's plenty of people playing. You'll definitely have an easier time finding groups if you're on a US Prime Time play schedule, but really the best thing to do is try and drag a friend along with you. Being able to take your time and explore the quests makes playing a hell of a lot more fun, and it's difficult to do that when half your group just wants to maximize their xp/hr and move on.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Alright but is the guild in the first post still up? Got a friend that's interested in playing with me so curious if server matters.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah, of course. Just post character names here and I or someone else can mail you an invite for the ridiculous buffs!

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Drucian ingame. Although we haven't down the Snowy Korthos content yet since I'm waiting for him to make his dang character so we can start.

ChaseSP fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 10, 2017

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Okay, sent you an invite. It's in the mail when you get off Korthos!

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Anything said about adding ddo and lotro to all access? Or are they staying on their own individual subs?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

They explicitly said they have no plans to do that right now sadly :(

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Producer's Letter.

• U35 Dragonborn
  • U35 "Several" new adventures
  • U35 New raid
  • U36 Forgotten Realms pack in Stonelands north of Stormhorns, late Spring/early Summer
  • U37/38 Ravenloft expansion, "lots of new content, Sentient Weapons, and other surprises"

So that sounds like a pretty good broad list of things to look forward to. Wish they'd announce what the next new class is, I'll be somewhat disappointed if there isn't one with Ravenloft.

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

Hoping for blackguard or atleast blackguard open enhancement tree like harper

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Reaper difficulty seems tailor-made for the Ravenloft expansion.

Game_Whino
Jul 16, 2007

Let's drink until we can't feel anymore!
Is there an ETA on when they're releasing reaper difficulty or has it already come out on live? (It's one of the things I'm waiting for before I re-download the game and attempt to run it on my wife's lovely computer)

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

U34 that comes out sometime this month, probably next week given there's another Lamannia this week, will have Reaper difficulty and the new Champion mods as well as the free Tower of Frost (ML14/28) adventure.

Something that confuses me about the coming Lamannia:

quote:

This preview should contain all previously previewed U34 related additions and changes (with additional fixes and changes) as well as the Reaper Enhancement Trees. Specifics on what the enhancement trees contain will be provided leading up to the preview (likely in Release notes which will be posted as we are opening Lammania or shortly before).

I have no idea what that is, but we should see notes tomorrow when the build goes up. Maybe a way to provide more power growth to make 10 skull not so stupid? Though they've made it clear they want the healing debuff in which will always be a net negative for that mode.

Also who needs the Sheltering Ring anymore.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 23, 2017

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

U34 is out now.
  • Tower of Frost - 14/28 Free Dungeon
  • Reaper Difficulty - 1-10 skull options
  • Champion Tier System and thematic templates
  • Bluff scaling has been reduced, so it should be easier to use at the high end
  • Human/Half-Elf boosts no longer have separate cooldowns from other action boosts, no double stacking anymore.
  • Draconic Breath Weapons count as Evocation spells and benefit fully from meta/items/feats/etc for that
  • Hurl Through Hell and Trap the Soul are now blocked by Death Ward. Sadness.

As for the Reaper Enhancements, there's three trees. Tank, Spell, Melee. You earn reaper experience (persisting through reincarnation) when you clear reaper mode dungeons, and the enhancements only work in reaper mode sadly. They're pretty much all just +numbers for their respective role. The tank tree is +8 HP per ability (point spent?) and the other two are +4 HP per. Casting tree has up to +5 casting stat, +4 DC (boost for +3), +5 spell penetration, and a good chunk of extra spell points. Here's hoping the saves/spell resist are balanced around not having points and maxing it out lets you get > 50% success rate.

All in all the trees are what I expected, and it kind of sucks. It provides a progression path, but if the intended progression is slowly working your way up so that Skull 10 feels a lot like Skull 1 with a maxed out tree, then what purpose does it serve as a Super Hardcore Only Challenge Mode like they claimed? It also feels kind of lovely from a progressionist point of view, since you don't really feel the growth except you move to picking a higher skull number every once in awhile. You don't actually get to feel stronger, you just get slightly better drop rates. And if it doesn't provide a meaningful amount of difference in 10 skull, why bother caring about it at all?

The whole system just seems like a really silly solution to a problem that's barely there in the first place. I guess it could provide a fun change of pace for Sub-20 content that's trivial for almost any vet, but I'd be really curious to see how many people clear EE content at 20/25/30, let alone do Reaper mode.

It would have actually been a more interesting system if it provided more granularity for everyone. Hard too trivial, but Elite too irritating/hard is a common complaint. Having a better ability to find challenge without being overwhelmed would be useful for everyone. Whereas trying to create a system that's designed to challenge an extreme minority of the population is largely just a waste of development resources. Especially when those people want challenges that go towards design, not +numbers.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 4, 2017

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

quote:

Red-named bosses can no longer be Champions
Oh good, no more getting randomly hosed over at the end of a long dungeon at level because an already hard boss was assigned Champion.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Finally ran tower of frost. Pretty decent, quick little quest. Seemed more flavor than any real challenge. Although I guess the fact that it's pretty short means you can easily run it repeatedly to get that necklace.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

super sweet best pal posted:

Oh good, no more getting randomly hosed over at the end of a long dungeon at level because an already hard boss was assigned Champion.

Funny you say that...

Cordovan posted:

It is working as intended that red named-enemies can be Champions on Reaper difficulty, but they should no longer be on Hard or Elite.

:bang:

Also there was a misunderstanding when writing up the Release Notes, and you actually take an experience penalty in Reaper Mode if you're even 1 level above the quest's level on Normal, not 2:

+1: -20%
+2: -50%
+3: -70%
+4: -90%
+5: -95%

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
So I have had the itch to play this again after a long rear end break, but what with being Australian the server is pretty much always dead when I am able to play, does anyone have any idea of other servers have a higher oceanic pop?

Also giving LOTRO a shot but it isn't pushing my buttons in the same way, even though the player base does appear to be higher.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I've seen both Khyber and Ghallanda thrown around as having better Australian populations. I think your best bet is to log on during your primary play time for each server and check the LFG to see how active it looks. But in my quick googling I saw guilds on every server, but none with 2016/2017 post dates so I have no idea which server has an active one now :(

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Weirdly there were quite a few active groups and players in general on Argonessenn tonight, at least equal to Khyber. Going to have to do a few more nights of checking!

As for classes,are warlocks as good as they seem? Enlightened Soul seems like a really interesting tree, but are warlocks mostly for going pure, hybrid or splashes? I have a 14 paladin I was levelling for the healing amp past life feat, but uh I guess I should go something more versatile in case finding others is a problem again, hence wondering if warlocks can be worked in to a hybrid build at all.

I def love the character building this game offers!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I wouldn't worry too much about solo viability, I've been able to get by as a Rogue using Cleric or Favored Soul hirelings.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
So it turns out I still have one of those Raider's Reward Boxes that gives a CitW weapon (or commendations). I currently have a Cleaver and a Needle. Any recommendations on other particularly good ones to get? Was thinking either Sireth or Antipode, but Celestia is also tempting.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Oh man that's a tough one.
Antipode isn't that exciting honestly, it's got 2d6 damage likely but that's not super special. Stunning +10 is nice, but you can get that or close to it from other equipment like rings. I really like Sireth but I'm not sure if staff is really a particularly effective build platform anymore. Handwraps got buffed in some form and I haven't been following closely enough to say if it's mathematically better to go for it :( But it's sure a fun weapon.

Same with Pinion, it's a hell of a bow at 23 and is great to have right away when Epic or Iconic reincarnating, but if you're gonna level on beyond that there's likely better weapons by now (Epic Greensteel at least).

Twilight is cool for a caster, but you'll likely want to keep stacking your spellpower up with better things, and there's a lot more good orbs now.

So I'd lean towards Sireth I guess, maybe poke around to see if there's any recent rogue or monk quarterstaff builds.

My beef with Celestia is that it's really easy to get a +enhancement bonus, or metal bonus from somewhere and wind up making it not break DR anymore. I'm pretty sure even gaining the Magic property is enough to break it's ability to ignore all DR.

[Edit] Hell Balizarde is worth considering too. Good base stats, don't need improved crit feat to take advantage of it, and has lots of extra defensive stats "for free". It's a great Swashbuckling or Rogue weapon.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 21, 2017

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
I am actually doing a staff build this current life (18 rogue/2 monk) which seems to be doing pretty well so far. Will have a better idea at 20/21 once I can start equipping better gear.

Only considering the handwraps because monks and fighting unarmed is just so loving cool. I am not much for being a caster, but good points about all the epic greensteel stuff (are there greensteel handwraps?)

Balizarde is an option, but I have done the swashbuckling life and don't know if I will do a second one anytime soon. Guess I am leaning towards Sireth.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Pinion is a great bow and considering the upgrades would be LGS or TF which are relatively minor DPS increases compared to the effort required.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
If you put HAPPY11TH in the DDO store (can do it twice per account) you get a cake, which will give you one of a bunch of named items from level 1-18, or 10 commendations of heroism, or 100k XP. I am now 20 commendations richer.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Nice, thanks! I saw they were gonna do that "soon", so glad it was only a couple days later.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Yeah my plan is to make a bunch of GH and PDK dragon armours. I would upgrade a CitW weapon, but it doesn't seem worth it, for the amount of required commendations and the relatively minimal gains, especially with all the crazy new mods on everything these days.

Also snagged an EE white dragon helm with +3 insightful Dex off the shard AH pretty chrap, so that may be influencing my decision!

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
So, sorcerers are supposed to be good right? Because I just ran across one who seemed to only cast wall of fire and a few buffs. No CC, no other offensive spells I could see...Just a few walls. Throughout VoN3 all he got was like 5 kills in a group of 4 people. This guy was an anomaly right?

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Sorc have serious mana problems iirc. Unless you've got decent gear or know what you're doing, I remember my low level sorc having serious issues doing good damage without making GBS threads my mana all at once. Given this was a long time ago and could be different by now, but I don't think sorcs have had a massive overhaul since then.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

They got a significant boost with the "new" enhancement trees, since you can get Burning Hands for 2 mana on a 4 second cooldown that takes metamagics for free with only 4 points in the tree for example. And then at level 12 you have Fire(Acid)ball available as an SLA too. It doesn't completely supercede the need to actually cast (nor should it) but it does let you sustain damage for a lot longer, especially in situations where stuff is dying fast enough that casting a real spell feels like a waste.

It seems like that guy was operating off old advice where you just wanted to Firewall or Acid Rain big groups and otherwise just keep moving or you'd run out of mana. I don't know about anomaly, but he sure wasn't playing remotely optimally.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Should mention he was level 20, group was 20-23, but only 4 of us and doing EE. I did see some fireballs, but also lots of blue hexes so presumably many saves as well.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Gammon posted:

Should mention he was level 20, group was 20-23, but only 4 of us and doing EE. I did see some fireballs, but also lots of blue hexes so presumably many saves as well.

Sounds like DC issues, plenty of sorcs I knew wouldn't touch EE instead opting to steamroll EH about as fast as I could run through the dungeon.

Edit: You can build a sorc that can handle EE's but why bother when EH is a joke, only reason to make a EE capable sorc is if you want to keep playing it at end game.

Woden fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 27, 2017

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

U35 should be going up on Lamannia later today. With a new raid + two quests, Dragonborn, and apparently racial reincarnation. Whatever that is. All they've said is that it's similar to TRing, and there will be racial past lives (with no credit for past lives done already of course).

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Like I need more poo poo to muddy the reincarnation waters! It all sounds good though, wondering what sort of strange OP builds it will lead to though. I really need to find something I am happy to spend some time at 30 with, because all I have ever really done is TR at cap so I can try something new. Seeing some endgame content while it's current would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Seems like racial reincarnation gives you permanent skill and stat bonuses, and then a bonus racial action point. But items are preserved in inventory instead of TR cache after doing it, so...I don't really know how it works.

Still, getting all that extra AP is sweet.

• Locked thread